Open Heart Surgery/Bypass Success Stories

StitchesGr8Fan

DIS Veteran
My mom failed her heart testing today and as a result she needs a triple bypass. I'm afraid to Google too much because I know it would scare the devil out of me. My mom is 74 and has never had heart problems, the testing was precautionary. The doctor feels confident that because they caught it before she had a heart attack or stroke she will be ok. But it my breaks my heart to think of her being afraid, and the pain she will go through in recovery. And I feel bad for my dad, who is usually the sick one, and now has to be the caregiver. So please, share your positive stories about this kind of surgery. No negativity please, I already know the risk of death or stroke.

No stories or advice, just some good vibes. Sounds like she will be fine. It was caught early which is good news, not everyone is so lucky. When is the surgery?

About 10 years ago, my father went to the hospital for 'minor' heart surgery. They ended up discovering major issues and he ended up with an emergency quadruple bypass. It was a blessing in disguise and he really turned his physical health around and he looks and feels much better than he did before the surgery.

My mom had a quadruple bypass in her 70's. She had it done on a Tuesday, was sitting in a chair on Wednesday morning, walking the halls Wednesday night, and was home and sitting at the kitchen table having lunch on Saturday morning. She claims she was never in any pain, just a little nauseous when she came out of the anesthetic, and they gave her medication that stopped that right away. Her recovery was smooth, and we went to WDW to celebrate about 6 months later. :)

She also felt much better after the surgery. She had so much more energy.

That was 11 years ago, and I know the recovery has gotten even easier. My friend's 53 year old brother, who was not in great health prior to surgery, just had a double bypass the week before Thanksgiving. He insisted on cooking Thanksgiving dinner, and was back at work full-time within 3 weeks.

I know how you feel, I was terrified when I found out my mom had to have a bypass. It sounds like such complicated, major surgery. But you have to remember that the surgeons do it multiple times a week, and the nursing staff deals with these patients every day. What seems so rare and scary to us is daily routine to them, and they're very, very good at it.

My mom had triple bypass and my dad quadruple bypass and they're both here more than a decade later to tell the tale. I remember that fear and I know nothing anyone said could really alleviate it but I'll say it anyway: it's going to be okay, anymore it's routine, she's going to come through just fine. :hug:

Is she going to get a second opinion?
Best of luck to her! It's hard not to worry, but this, sadly, is a pretty routine surgery now.

As scary as it sounds, I think it is pretty commonplace.

My X had a heart attack followed by a quadruple bypass in 2004. In fact, he continued to smoke for about 8 years before quitting, and STILL eats whatever he wants. He is STILL around to annoy me.

I had an uncle have double bypass in the early 1980's and he passed in like 2009.

I have known many people who have had it, and they recover and are fine.

My dad had a quintuple bypass in his late 70's. He's now 85 and going strong - cuts his own grass, walks 2 miles a day, simply amazing. Recovery is a bit tough, but since the bypass his health has been great. He was apprehensive about the surgery because of the recovery, but SO glad now that he had it done!

My aunt had a very mild heart attack in her late 60s. Had bypass (quadruple I think) about 73. She just celebrated her 93rd birthday. She still lives alone and even drives a little. She looks great. My dad had one about 72 and lived almost another 20 years.

You should be very glad that she is going to have this. Not that many decades ago there was nothing that could be done. One of my dad's friends refused to have the bypass and dropped dead within 6 months.

My dad had his quadruple bypass open heart surgery just over 25 years ago after suffering a mild heart attack. He came through it very well, and is still active and has had no more heart trouble. He was home from the hospital in a few days. There will definitely be pain. Unfortunately, there is no way around that, but they will help her manage it. It helped him to hug a pillow when he coughed. My best wishes for all of you!

My dad had 8 bypasses done 17 years ago and still going strong.

He first couple days of his recovery were rough pain wise but they kept him moving and it seemed like day 4-5 he was back to normal, just slower and uncomfortable.

We kids still crack up about the night after his surgery he got the hiccups. He was still pretty out of it and would groan in between hiccups. "Hic Ohhhh Hic Ohhhh". It had been such a long emotional day and we were so relieved everything went so well we were loopy. We felt bad for him, of course, but it sounded so funny. My stepsister snorted once and it set everyone in the room off and we couldn't stop laughing, dad included. (Which made him groan more which made us laugh more)

Just be prepared for mood swings after. The doctor told us all its very common for heart patients to "get a little moody" after surgery and he was right. There were quite a few ups and downs for a few weeks after but it worked itself out.

My dh had a triple bypass in 2012, due to a heart attack, he was 45.

So did she have a heart cath? I am assuming that this was the test she failed.

Is her bypass surgery going to be by cath or are they splitting her open?

Is she going to get a second opinion?
Best of luck to her! It's hard not to worry, but this, sadly, is a pretty routine surgery now.

My Mom got a stint at 88 from Doc in ER-afterwards her regular heart DR said he wouldn't have done it to someone that old...but your Mom is still "young" to me

Both my In laws has triple bypasses in late 50's . Fil lived to 75 MIl is still here at 88

My grandfather had open heart surgery. I remember that recovery went better than I expected. He was a tough gruff guy, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised with that. About his biggest complaint was the "lousy" food that was served at the hospital recovery room. I agree, it was lousy! I don't know if it would be helpful, but ever since granddads heart bypass, I've been eating a heart healthy diet created by this cardiologists.

The Wheat Belly lifestyle BEGAN with heart health

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2015/09/the-wheat-belly-lifestyle-began-with-heart-health/

Good luck to your mom!

Thanks all for the positive stories. They help more than you know. I talked to her last night and she was feeling feisty. Her biggest concern is that they are going to keep her in the hospital for a week afterwards. I think they need to keep her in for longer so she doesn't overdo it. :p I will find out more today when I go over there. My dad tends to be dramatic when it comes to my mom, because he doesn't k ow how he will function with out her. I will keep you all posted.

Thanks all for the positive stories. They help more than you know. I talked to her last night and she was feeling feisty. Her biggest concern is that they are going to keep her in the hospital for a week afterwards. I think they need to keep her in for longer so she doesn't overdo it. :p I will find out more today when I go over there. My dad tends to be dramatic when it comes to my mom, because he doesn't k ow how he will function with out her. I will keep you all posted.

They booted out my dh after 4 days. So unless there are complications no chance of staying a week.

They booted out my dh after 4 days. So unless there are complications no chance of staying a week.
Yep, my mom was out in three, Dad out in four. They have them up and sitting in a chair the same day, walking as soon as possible.
There will be mood swings after, it's normal. Watch for depression, which to an extent is normal too. And my Dad had a case of what I called, "I am Superman" syndrome, doing crazy teenager like stuff because he had a "new" heart. I don't think that's something you'll have to worry about with your mom, my dad was fairly young for a heart patient so he acted out of "rebellion." Oy, fun times, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter