Only 10 coupons allowed at Walmart

If the person behind me were willing to give me the cash equivalent on my coupons, I would gladly not use them. However, I don't think that will ever happen, so I will keep using them.

As far as the OPs situation, I don't think it was the customer's fault. It sounds like the customer didn't know the policy and the cashier was trying to be kind and push the Qs through since they were legit coupons. It just didn't work. Sounds like the OP was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I certainly don't begrudge the customer for trying to save a few bucks --nor the cashier for trying to help her do it.

At our local WM, there are a few cashier I avoid because they are so s l o w. Man, one will pick up an item and look at it from every angle and tell you how cute it is or ask who its for, etc, and then finally ring it up. Then it is the same thing with the next item."Oh, I've seen these, but have never used them before. Do you like them?" Scan. Pick uo next item. Exaime it. "Oh, I bought these last week. I really like them. Have you gotten them before?" Listen to your answer. "Well, you're going to love them. I'm sure." Look at item again and then scan. And so it goes.....

Frankly, I don't give two hoots about whether or not the person behind me "approves" of my transaction. I will do what I need to do in the store in the manner of my choosing. I don't have an obligation to anyone. :confused3

It doesn't do much good with Walmart having a 20 item or less lane if the cashiers won't enforce it. The other day I was in Walmart with 5 items and there were about 7 other people behind me with just a few items, but the lady in front of us (who we all thought was in another lane, but was actually just taking up the space looking at somethign near the other lane) had a huge buggy full of items and rather than reading the obvious sign that said 20 items or less, she proceeded to unload all her junk onto the very small checkout counter and the cashier never said a word to her. There were some extremely irritated people behind her too.

Believe me, the cashiers would love to enforce that rule, but WM won't let them. They're too afraid of irritating the person who chooses to ignore the rule. I had a friend who used to work there and it drove her batty.

Believe me, the cashiers would love to enforce that rule, but WM won't let them. They're too afraid of irritating the person who chooses to ignore the rule. I had a friend who used to work there and it drove her batty.

Hmmm...well, I didn't know Walmart wouldn't let them do that, but it makes sense. However, if they won't let the cashiers at least politely remind customers who do this, then they might as well take the signs down and just let all registers be equal. Oh well, at least the stupid woman who obviously couldn't read knew everyone else was irritated at her.

Usually people like that dont even care if anyone is irritated..its all about them

1. "Time spent waiting is never time lost if you use it wisely"

2. I don't shop at Wal Mart and I do use coupons.

3. I write checks or use cash rather than use a debit/credit card. Every time you use one, you are costing everyone more money b/c of the associated fees that have to be built back in to the profit margin. How do you think Visa gets the money to make all of those "like clockwork" ads???

4. If you don't like being behind me in line, find another line or refer back to #1.

Personally, I am glad Walmart is cracking down on coupon usage- I know some people depend on them, but it does REALLY back up the lines. Back when I was heavy into couponing I would try to limit my coupons to about 10 per order anyway, and stick my coupons on my items for everyone's convienience. Giving the cashier a stack of coupons at the end doesn't help anyone. Never mind Walmart is accepting coupons as a courtesy..they don't have to. Thoughts?

First of all, it is not a courtesy that Walmart is accepting coupons. Walmart and the manufacturers both benefit from coupon usage.

Second, coupons are not the reason why the lines are long at Walmart. The lack of cashiers and lack of open self-checkout lanes is the reason.

Third, A stack of coupons does help the person using them.

Fourth, it takes a lot of time to use coupons, find the right items etc. The person using them deserves to have the cashier preform the transaction no matter how long it takes...it is one of those variables can't control when you choose a line at the store.

I am sorry that you got in a long line...that's life. I don't see why you are taking it out on the smart lady saving money.

I got behind someone using WIC the other day but I sure did not blame them that I was at the grocery store for 25 extra minutes:confused3 I was annoyed but not at that person.

You seem to be saying the lady with the coupons is self-centered because she took up your time but that's not how I see it.

3. I write checks or use cash rather than use a debit/credit card. Every time you use one, you are costing everyone more money b/c of the associated fees that have to be built back in to the profit margin. How do you think Visa gets the money to make all of those "like clockwork" ads???

That's an interesting perspective, but I imagine processing checks and cash costs just as much. The stores might not have to pay a bank processing fee, but they still have to pay employees (wages, benefits, taxes, various insurance coverages) to count all the cash, balance all the drawers, and process all the checks. There's also the issue of secure transport--does the store have to pay for armored car service or does the bank pay it?

And even if the bank absorbs some of the costs of processing cash/checks, it still comes back to the retailer as a part of their fees for service, which is then built into their pricing models.

Either way, I think processing costs probably come out even on forms of payment.

Frankly, I don't give two hoots about whether or not the person behind me "approves" of my transaction. I will do what I need to do in the store in the manner of my choosing. I don't have an obligation to anyone. :confused3

Couldn't have said it better myself! Wanna know what I'm doing while waiting in line? Organize my coupons!!!! There's always new ones to be filed and expireds ones to toss.

mrsklamc....please know that my post here is not at all a jab at you or your friend....

but...

does anyone else find it funny or ironic that WM WON'T enforce a posted rule about 10 items or less in a lane, but WILL try to enforce a coupon limit rule that isn't posted anywhere for the customer to know about if their crystall ball happens to be in the shop? :lmao:

Kimya

That's an interesting perspective, but I imagine processing checks and cash costs just as much. The stores might not have to pay a bank processing fee, but they still have to pay employees (wages, benefits, taxes, various insurance coverages) to count all the cash, balance all the drawers, and process all the checks. There's also the issue of secure transport--does the store have to pay for armored car service or does the bank pay it?

And even if the bank absorbs some of the costs of processing cash/checks, it still comes back to the retailer as a part of their fees for service, which is then built into their pricing models.

Either way, I think processing costs probably come out even on forms of payment.

Granted, mine is a small business, but processing cash/checks costs me nothing while processing a card costs me .30 EACH, plus 3% or the total (including sales tax). I've done a cost analysis before that shows that I am better off giving away up to a $1.50 item than taking a credit card for it (we are not permitted to set minimums to use a card) I'm sure mega-marts like Wal Mart receive discounted rates for CC processing, but it's still a reality in the business world that is taken too lightly by consumers who charge that pack of gum.

mrsklamc....please know that my post here is not at all a jab at you or your friend....

but...

does anyone else find it funny or ironic that WM WON'T enforce a posted rule about 10 items or less in a lane, but WILL try to enforce a coupon limit rule that isn't posted anywhere for the customer to know about if their crystall ball happens to be in the shop? :lmao:

Kimya

Hey, no offense taken. It irks me that they don't want to irritate the self centered jerk that ignores the ten items or less sign, but those of us behind them in line don't matter.

As someone who worked plenty of retail in college, I don't get the coupon nazi mindset anyway. I actually balanced the morning books at Walgreens for awhile, and as long as the AMOUNT matched the dollar value of coupons we were supposed to have, we didn't even care what they were for!

Granted, mine is a small business, but processing cash/checks costs me nothing while processing a card costs me .30 EACH, plus 3% or the total (including sales tax). I've done a cost analysis before that shows that I am better off giving away up to a $1.50 item than taking a credit card for it (we are not permitted to set minimums to use a card) I'm sure mega-marts like Wal Mart receive discounted rates for CC processing, but it's still a reality in the business world that is taken too lightly by consumers who charge that pack of gum.

Could you maybe offer a small discount for those that use cash/check so that it would discourage the use of CC? I have seen many people do that and I am always happy to save a little.

I was at Walmart yesterday and was kind of in a hurry to get home. I get in line behind someone who was just about done- sweet, I was thinking, I will be home in about 30 minutes. So I unload all my stuff and find out the lady has about 30 coupons. Ugh. I am all for saving money, but when it takes an extra 15 minutes in the checkout lane because the person is using coupons, I get REALLY annoyed. It takes forever to scan the coupons, then some beep- so then the cashier has to check to make sure certain items were actually bought, you know the drill. THEN, when she FINALLY got through all 30 coupons- the register wouldn't let her total out the screen. Cashier calls a manager (another 5 minutes), and turns out only 10 coupons are allowed per transaction. If I didn't have all my stuff unloaded I would have gone to another lane..but of course now it is after the church rush and lines were getting long. Turns out, the manager decides to take the coupon lady to another register because she has to rering all her groceries in groups so she can use her coupons. Personally, I am glad Walmart is cracking down on coupon usage- I know some people depend on them, but it does REALLY back up the lines. Back when I was heavy into couponing I would try to limit my coupons to about 10 per order anyway, and stick my coupons on my items for everyone's convienience. Giving the cashier a stack of coupons at the end doesn't help anyone. Plus, Walmart? Walmart doesn't double coupons, doesn't have sales or B1G1 free sales- so wouldn't it be cheaper (if you were a heavy couponer) to go to a grocery store and watch the ads? Never mind Walmart is accepting coupons as a courtesy..they don't have to. Thoughts?

You're in Virginia, right? Please let me know by posting or via PM what store you are referring to. I live in Virginia and I have a very close friend who is a manager at WM.

You are posting a contradiction to what I know is WM's policy, but I know there are "coupon cops" out there.

I am glad Walmart is cracking down on coupon usage- I know some people depend on them, but it does REALLY back up the lines.

And I don't suppose the fact WM doesn't have enough cashiers during rush times has anything to do with this? :laughing:

Couponers have rights, too. :)

Part of my thought process is why would you "waste" your coupons at Walmart- they don't double or do B1G1 free- so you would be better off taking your coupons down the road to Food Lion and Kroger. Last I checked, Kroger doubled up to 50 cents and certain times of the year they doubled up to 99 cents.

As for the "I am the most important person in the world" part, well, I think it would have been common courtesy for the person in front of me to tell me, "Hey, I might be a while- you might want to find another lane." Back at Christmastime when I was doing price matches, I would tell the people behind me that, that way I am not holding anyone else up with my budgeting.

For many of us, the stores in our area double coupons. The last store that did that was Eagle and they all closed many years ago. Why would I want to shop a B1G1 Free sale at the inflated prices at Jewel or Dominicks when the prices at Wal-Mart are less then 1/2 their prices and I could use two coupons?

As for the price matches, do you think that Wal-Mart should limit the number that you're able to do in one transaction? It takes more time to price match then it does to scan a coupon.

Could you maybe offer a small discount for those that use cash/check so that it would discourage the use of CC? I have seen many people do that and I am always happy to save a little.

It is not allowed to offer a discount for using cash or a fee or minimum for using a credit card per the agreement you make with them by accepting credit cards. Of course some businesses do it anyway (who hasn't been somewhere where there is a sign that says $5 min. or even higher).

It is not allowed to offer a discount for using cash or a fee or minimum for using a credit card per the agreement you make with them by accepting credit cards. Of course some businesses do it anyway (who hasn't been somewhere where there is a sign that says $5 min. or even higher).

I'm not sure that's correct. According to the Visa agreement, you may offer a discount but not impose a surcharge.
From the agreement...
Always treat Visa transactions like any other transaction; that is, you may not impose any surcharge on a Visa transaction. You may, however, offer a discount for cash transactions, provided that the offer is clearly disclosed to customers and the cash price is presented as a discount from the standard price charged for all other forms of payment.

It is not allowed to offer a discount for using cash or a fee or minimum for using a credit card per the agreement you make with them by accepting credit cards.

It's OK to offer a cash discount, but it's not OK to charge a fee for using a card or to charge a minimum.

It often amounts to the same thing, so it's really a semantic loophole. A gas station can charge $3.00/gallon for gas, but offer a "discounted" price of $2.95/gallon for cash. What they can't do is charge $2.95/gallon for gas and impose an extra fee of $0.05 for using your credit card.

It amounts to the same thing, but it's worded and structured slightly differently.

Well, then you are probably wasting your checks and the money you pay for them because most businesses these days run the checks through as a debit transaction. So, even tlhough you are writing a check, it is still going through your bank as an electronic debit transaction.

My Wal-Mart has no such policy on the coupons.

1. "Time spent waiting is never time lost if you use it wisely"

2. I don't shop at Wal Mart and I do use coupons.

4. If you don't like being behind me in line, find another line or refer back to #1.

I don't shop at Walmart, but if Target (or any other store) ever implemented that policy, I would just do separate transactions until I got all my Qs in. If that means leaving a cart full of items on the side while I run to my car to drop off full bags of paid items, that's fine with me. THAT will back up the lines. I think that it is ridiculous to limit coupons like that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter