• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Only 10 coupons allowed at Walmart

I use a TON of coupons...but I take them to the store that doubles if they are less than .60 cent coupons. If they are 1.00 off something or more....no one doubles them so why not use them at Walmart, they have the lowest prices on many items so that minus the coupon = extra good deal.

I have always used coupons....why would someone not want to use a coupon if they had it for a product they already buy.

Oh and I hardly ever tell anyone behind me that I'm going to be a while....umm if they can't tell that I'm going to be a while with 5 kids and 3 buggies....they must be blind.

Oh and I hardly ever tell anyone behind me that I'm going to be a while....umm if they can't tell that I'm going to be a while with 5 kids and 3 buggies....they must be blind.

Or crazy:lmao:

I must add you are a brave soul to take 5 kids to Walmart or wherever.:scared1: I have a hard enough time with my one.:rotfl:

I have never heard of walmart limiting coupon usage. Is this new? DH is a manager there and hasn't alerted me of it and I am a big coupon user, although not so big at walmart, but do use them there.

I do not see why using coupons should take any longer then a normal person. I worked for years in a grocery store and it doesn't take much time or brains to scan the coupons, if it beeps, read it quickly. I usually know what I just scanned to know if the person bought it or not. I do know that all people are not that quick, but that is not the fault of the person using the coupons.

Walmart is slow in general. I have people in front of me in line all the time that write a check, have wic vouchers or use food stamps (although that is much faster now), I don't complain, I expect to have to wait at the store (especially walmart). Everyone is in such a hurry now a days, slow down and enjoy life.

Today I am going to Walmart. I expect to stand in line for a while. when I finally get to the cashier I plan on using my coupons!!:thumbsup2 If it takes time to scan my coupons, I dont mind. Because I stood in that long line, just like everyone else.

The lines are always long at Walmart with very few cashiers and Sunday is even worse. :scared:

I have read on this thread that stores get 8 cents for each coupon they accept. That would mean Walmart made an extra $2.40 for accepting the couponlady's coupons!!

I really think you posted this in the wrong place :confused3

I for one:

1. Use my coupons at Wal-Mart. I don't have a local store that doubles coupons.

2. Have used more than 10 coupons at Wal-Mart. Never had a problem.

3. Always hand my stack of coupons to the cashier before she starts ringing things up - I have had the cashier ASK me for the coupons ahead. Thay way they don't get lost and she can keep an eye out for the coupon items.

4. Have had cashiers and people behind me in line CHEER ME ON with all the coupons I have! Cashiers have actually circles my coupon savings and shown it to other cashiers. (Then they ask me where I find the coupons so THEY can use them too.)

Maybe you shouldn't go to Wal-Mart. The checkout lines there are always slow, in my opinion. Stressing over the grocery line isn't good for you! :hug:

I, for one, feel sorry for the lady and her coupons. I realize you were in a hurry, but she probably did not know that it was a 10 coupon limit. I NEVER shop at Walmart. I hate, hate, hate it. I do however, always try to tell the person behind me, before they unload that I will take longer, because I have coupons. I feel it is irresponsible to my family to not coupon. I spent $140 (which is a lot for me to spend) and saved $250 with coupons and sales yesterday. My husband makes a good living and this is one way to stretch it more. We go on one big vacation a year and this pays for it. So, when I am stretched out on Castaway Cay this year sipping my pina colada, I will smile at all those people who think clipping coupons is a waste of time. :cool1:

Sorry, I can't get behind you on this one. It's one of those things that may delay you a few minutes, but must just be chalked up to "c'est la vie".

Check-writers take extra time. People who like to chat with the clerk take extra time. People who dig through their purse looking for an extra penny to make exact change take extra time. It happens, so you just deal with it and read more about Britney and Paris. ;)

Honestly, if you were to ask me about things that take extra time in the checkout line, coupons wouldn't even make my Top 5. If someone's got a stack out and ready to go, it should only take a second to scan them right through. I've only seen a delay if something doesn't match up. I would be peeved at a 10 coupons/order rule, especially if it weren't clearly communicated beforehand.

As for why she used them at WalMart, maybe she didn't feel like making more than one stop. Maybe she needed the stuff right away, and didn't have time to wait for a sale. Who knows?

Well, I refuse to shop at Walmart and rarely ever can be bothered to clip a coupon, but I can definitely sympathize with your plight! Honestly, if a store is going to make processing coupons such a long drawn out process, I wish that they would open "coupon free/no check" lanes for people.

It sounds more like a cashier issue.. if your store policy is 10 per transaction that I would be more annoyed and complain to management that they are not training their cashiers properly.

I had approx 40 coupons the other day at the grocery store.. it took the cashier an extra 2-3 minutes to scan them all. I dont give someone the heads up behind me... I never get the head up when a check writes waits until they hear their total till the actually open their purse and dig for the checkbok, or for the person using wic checks and have to wait for a manager to approve their order.

Unless I am in the express line I don't expect to get out of any store fast.

Sorry, I agree with everyone else. I totally support anyone's right to use as many coupons as they wish as long as they have the right number of items to equal their coupons. I coupon a lot and have handed over a stack of up to 70 coupons at one time.

It's not the woman's fault that that particular Walmart has a 10 coupon limit and she didn't know (I say that particular one because I've used many more than 10 at one time at several of my local Walmarts and have never had a problem with them saying anything about a coupon limit).

Kimya

I used 14 coupons yesterday and didn't have a problem. Coupons were ment to be used. I have no problem with people using as many coupons as they wish. I think Walmart should open up more registers.....

I, like many others on here, try to save the most $$ I can when going grocery shopping. If that means using 30 coupons, then I'll do it. So far my local Wal-Mart hasn't limited the number of coupons, but if they do I'll just break up my orders like others have said. About the "why would you "waste" your coupons at Wal-Mart- they don't double or do B1G1 free- so you would be better off taking your coupons down the road to Food Lion and Kroger." I personally don't have a grocery store close to me that doubles coupons and they are, for the most part, higher priced. I do shop the grocery stores "deals" and do the CVS bargains-with coupons as well. Heck, if I don't have a coupon for something that I want, I'll look for a printable...then decide if I want to buy based on whether or not I really want/need the item!!

Also, I'll check out my own groceries at Wal-Mart...just because it's usually faster at getting through the line and I prefer to sack my own items!! However, if I don't have time to stand in line for a few items, I don't go to Wal-Mart...it's never a fast process!

So, all in all, I think it's great when someone has a hand full of coupons. It's shows that they did their homework and they're about to save some money !! :)

I clip coupons but then forget them or lose them. I guess I'm just not organized enough! I have maybe 2 or 3 and I feel lucky. The cashier usually just scan them right? It shouldn't really take that long, I think OP had an usual situation. I guess if it's a free item, they need to go back and find the price. Be on the look out and don't get behind coupons! My sister shops at super early times so she doesn't hit crowds.

i can understand that you were frustrated after having to wait in line for a long time, but as others have said there are plenty of other reasons that cause a long wait.

in this situation i dont think the wait was actually due to using the coupons, but caused by the store policy. i never use coupons, but have never noticed that they take any extra time if someone in front of me is using them. don't they just scan them like anything else?

what does the store have to gain by limiting the number of coupons a customer can use per order? my first thought was also that i would just split the stuff up into 3 separate orders. i guess many would be discouraged especially if shopping with small children by the effort it would take to do this. but, i also think that some people would not buy the item at all if they couldnt use a coupon for it.

Last week, I had over 200 items in my cart and 51 coupons (looking at my receipt) I saved $151.27 in coupons and $86.52 in store coupons. I do leave my coupons in the top of the cart so others can see them, but don't warn people that I have them any more than the mother with kids crying ad grabbing candy warn me of the chaos. :rotfl2:
If my store only allowed 10 coupons I wouldn't shop there or would bring the entire family to seperate the coupons.
Lastly, If I am rush, I don't go to the store, as I can never depend on the time I will be in there.

I don't think I have ever been in Walmart and the line went fast!

I wouldn't have been upset, I would be wishing I had that many coupons - I use them whenever I can.

I dont want to flame anyone..you have your right to your opinion...
But if someone has coupons, wic, or anything else ..they have to right to use it even if it bothers anyone else. if you have a problem with that because you have to wait..well, thats your problem so maybe you should move to a faster line..Who knows why someone is usuing coupons.maybe they need the extra money. maybe they are addicted to them. maybe they want to annoy someone standing behind them:rotfl2: but if this is a real upsetting event in your day..try yoga:angel:
But dont blame the poor lady in front of you.

I use coupons everytime I shop whether at Walmart, CVS, Publix. Maybe they need to establish couponers only lanes like they do 20 items or less or cash/credit only for people that do not like to wait.

It doesn't do much good with Walmart having a 20 item or less lane if the cashiers won't enforce it. The other day I was in Walmart with 5 items and there were about 7 other people behind me with just a few items, but the lady in front of us (who we all thought was in another lane, but was actually just taking up the space looking at somethign near the other lane) had a huge buggy full of items and rather than reading the obvious sign that said 20 items or less, she proceeded to unload all her junk onto the very small checkout counter and the cashier never said a word to her. There were some extremely irritated people behind her too.

No, I have no problem with people saving money. I have said a few times that I price match and used to be heavy into couponing, as well. I would try to not do huge shopping trips with a ton of coupons, but if I had to- I am courteous to the people behind me in line though- give them a heads up that I might be a while, instead of blind sighting them at end when I am going to be there an extra 15 minutes.

I think basically what everyone is saying is that you shouldn't be griping on the "budget" board about someone taking the time to save a little money. The person in front of you was under no obligation to let you know she had coupons. My grandmother uses lots of coupons all the time at Wal-mart and it never takes that long to ring them all up, so perhaps the women didn't think it would take that long. It certainly wasn't her fault at all.

What does it matter if it's 10 more items or 10 more coupons. I think if that's a real policy that's awful. If I have legitiment coupons and I want to use them on 30 items I should be able to, thats what coupons are meant for - to be redeemed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter