• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"One More Waffle!" An October 2011 TR! *Update 4/24, pg 70-The End!*

We got in our log and started our adventure through the briar patch. Everything was going along great until...we stopped.

Joyce and I got stuck on Splash Mountain right near the end where the chickens are dancing on the big old timey paddle boat singing Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah. Since you're only supposed to float by in about 15 seconds, that same 15 seconds played about 100x in a row! Finally they shut off the music, but the characters were still moving, so we kept hearing the mechanical "thunk" of everything moving back and forth. Then after approximately forever, they had us get out of the logs and walk back stage to get out--which was cool!--but now every time we approach that part of the ride I tense up because as fun as that song is, it is also probably the most annoying thing one can possibly hear for 15 minutes straight!

It is fun, though, how they play off the glitch by blaming characters on the ride. On here they say something like "Looks like Brer Fox and Brer Bear are causing some commotion downstream"...I think Haunted Mansion blames it on "playful spooks" or something...either way, it's better than being stuck in traffic on the way to work :goodvibes

Joyce and I got stuck on Splash Mountain right near the end where the chickens are dancing on the big old timey paddle boat singing Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah. Since you're only supposed to float by in about 15 seconds, that same 15 seconds played about 100x in a row! Finally they shut off the music, but the characters were still moving, so we kept hearing the mechanical "thunk" of everything moving back and forth. Then after approximately forever, they had us get out of the logs and walk back stage to get out--which was cool!--but now every time we approach that part of the ride I tense up because as fun as that song is, it is also probably the most annoying thing one can possibly hear for 15 minutes straight!

It is fun, though, how they play off the glitch by blaming characters on the ride. On here they say something like "Looks like Brer Fox and Brer Bear are causing some commotion downstream"...I think Haunted Mansion blames it on "playful spooks" or something...either way, it's better than being stuck in traffic on the way to work :goodvibes

I can't believe you guys had to get out of the logs and walk out of Splash! It seems like that happens more often than it should, maybe they should fix whatever causes that problem! :laughing: I'd go crazy listening to the same part of that song, though...and I love the whole Splash mountain soundtrack, but when your stuck and it's just repeating over and over, it's enough to make you go crazy!

It is cute that they blame the characters on the ride when you are stuck though, Disney World and their magical details! :lovestruc

The Saddest "Mad Dash" That Ever Was

Friday, 10/7

Hi everyone! I can't believe it-this is the beginning of our last FULL Disney day of the trip! It's almost April, I'm really surprised I'm still writing about our October trip! I think I started the PTR for this trip last April! Crazy how time flies, huh? Before you know it, my May TR will be starting! :eek:

Friday morning, I had a goal. We HAD to get to DHS for rope drop. I told Brandon over and over that we had to be there before the park opened to do the mad dash, but he wasn't really getting it. So I basically dragged him out of bed and made him drive over to DHS.

We made it to the parking lot and into the park before 9, when the rope officially "dropped." Here is what we were dealing with at that time:

P1010088.jpg

Brandon wasn't exactly sure why we were all waiting in a mob of people, and I explained to him that everyone there was going to one place-Toy Story Mania.

"That's stupid, why not just wait until later?"

"Because you can't get a fast pass later, if you want one, you have to get it now."

"Well I'm not doing it."

"Seriously? That's kind of WHY WE'RE HERE."

I mean, really. I explained this to him about 500 times over the course of the week. He seemed fine with it. I told him it was going to be obnoxious, I told him the line would seem long, but it wouldn't be too bad, and he really seemed ok with it, but now that we were there, he wanted no part of it. Looking back, I should have just said ok, go do something by yourself and I'll get FP's. Instead, I suggested that when we could start walking, to just casually walk over and see how long the lines were, which he agreed to.

We walked over once the rope dropped, where everyone around us was walking with purpose, to TSM, and saw the lines looked really long. The standby line was out the door. And looped around. I knew it got long, but wow, that looked insane. Brandon started grumbling about it, so I snapped at him and said "FINE we'll do something else!!!" Ugh! :mad:

I told him since we weren't doing TSM that he should pick something and what does he pick? The Backlot Studio Tour. If you think I was a brat in the above paragraph, I'll spare you the details and just say that I went into full brat mode when he picked that. Actually, I don't even think you could call it brat. Another word that begins with "b" might be more appropriate. :laughing:

Basically, I agreed, but I was not happy about it, and I let Brandon know that I wasn't happy about it every 5 seconds. He kept saying what a baby I was being, and in my mind, I knew I was being a baby, but you know once you start acting like a jerk to your significant other, you sometimes can't stop? Like if you just stop and say "yeah, you're right, I am being a baby" you're somehow losing? Well that's how I was being.

We got on the tram, or whatever they call those things, and I continued making my comments. I went on this ride so many times on my childhood trips with my family, I didn't see the need to do it as an adult. However, my attitude totally changed when I started seeing the familiar scenery during the tour. It reminded me so much of those trips with my family I almost started crying. Growing up sucks sometimes. Just knowing I'll never have another trip with my sister, mom and dad is so depressing. :sad1: However, I cherish the things at Disney that remind me of those trips, which is why I actually started to be happy that Brandon made me go on this ride.

P1010091.jpg

Remember when the Earful Tower was the symbol of MGM, before the hat?

P1010093.jpg

And when Catastrophe Canyon was the coolest thing around?

I apologized to Brandon for being a brat, luckily, he knows me pretty well and didn't take any of it seriously so he wasn't even mad at me. He was actually kind of amused. :sad2: But it was over, and we moved on and went about our morning in DHS.

Since we skipped breakfast that morning, Brandon wanted to go to the Writer's Stop again, he loved it the other morning we went there! I didn't want anything there, I was planning on getting something special a little later, but I did ask for an iced cappuccino. He got in line to order and I grabbed us a little counter/table thing by the window.

P1010098.jpg

I love that nook, it's my favorite place to sit in Writer's Stop, it's nice being near the window, watching people start their day at DHS. :lovestruc

Brandon got a peanut butter cookie, which was huge, and we both had iced cappuccinos. They were horrible, though. I had to add a ton of sugar to make it drinkable, and ever after that, I ended up throwing half of it away. I felt guilty for doing that, because I wanted to love everything at the Writer's Stop, but...I guess not everything can be amazing!

When we finished up at the Writer's Stop, it was time for me to get breakfast. Guess where I finally got to go, on my last full Disney day?

P1010100.jpg

That's right, Starring Roles! :worship:

I went in with Brandon and checked out their cupcake selection, but I knew which one I was getting. So he got in line while I went outside to grab a table, Starring Roles was really crowded already, and I needed a table to enjoy my cupcake.

Which one did I get?

P1010101.jpg

The chocolate peanut butter cupcake. Oh. My. God.

It was the BEST cupcake I've ever had. I was eating it with a fork, because you can't pick that baby up and just eat it like it's some everyday cupcake, oh no. You need a knife and fork.

I ate some of the chocolate shavings first, and then dove in to the cupcake part and was amazed when I realized the frosting is peanut butter! I knew there was peanut butter in the middle, but I thought the frosting was chocolate! :cloud9: It was perfect. There is nothing better than chocolate and peanut butter. It's going to be hard to go there in May and not get this cupcake again, but I really want to try the Red Velvet. I just don't see how it can be better than the peanut butter cupcake.

I didn't even finish half of it, so Brandon ate the rest, and finally we were ready for some rides!

We grabbed some FP's for Rock n Roller Coaster, because as usual, the standby line was way too long, and then headed over to my favorite ride in the entire world. :love:

P1010104.jpg

There was actually a line, and it was all the way back to the outside part of the queue! I don't think there has been a line that far back since Brandon and I started coming to Disney. That's the way it was, again, from my childhood trips, when my sister and I first discovered the Tower of Terror and rode it over and over.

I didn't mind the wait, though, it gave me a chance to take some pictures of the beautiful waiting area!

P1010105.jpg

P1010106.jpg

P1010107.jpg

We made our way inside pretty quickly, even though the line looked long, it wasn't really. I love everything about this ride, which I'm sure you all know already! But really, it's just pure perfection to me. The ride is awesome, I love the feeling of falling, I could probably stay on that elevator for hours and not get bored! And I'm kind of obsessed with the Twilight Zone. I pretty much live for New Year's Eve and the Fourth of July when they have the marathon on the Sci Fi channel.

We had so much fun on the Tower of Terror and we still had some time to kill before we could use our RnRC FP's so we went on again! See what I mean about this ride, I could just ride it over and over for hours, I will never get bored! Brandon, however, has a limit, he can only do it a few times and then needs a break! :laughing:

Up next...more DHS and are we EVER going to go in the pool?

Okay we need to have a DIS-intervention with Brandon and explain to him the importance of participating in the Mad Dash. :rotfl: I'm sorry you missed out on riding TSM, and I can totally related to your bratiness. I do that all the time with John- I will be totally aware that I'm being a turd, but I just can't make myself stop! Good thing they love us unconditionally- they have to! :rotfl: I'm glad it ended up working out though and you enjoyed your Backlot Tour! I wish I had childhood memories of Disney! Unfortunately I didn't start going until I was 20! It must be so cool to see things and remember them from when you were a kid! :goodvibes You're right- growing up sucks sometimes!

YAY for your Starring Rolls cupcake! I've never had the chocolate and peanut butter one but it sounds fantastic! :thumbsup2 I might have to try that in July, but I will still have to get the red velvet too!

I totally share your obsession with ToT. It's amazing! :lovestruc Everytime I ride I sit there wishing it would never end. It's one of the best!

Great update! I can't wait to see if you decided to go in the pool!

Cupcakes, ToT, and memories, oh my!

I loved that your memories totally turned the Backlot Tour around. You just never know when that ol' Disney magic is gonna hit you.

Your cupcake looked Ah. May. Zing. It's on my list now...The way I'm going, pretty soon I won't be able to go to any great TS places because I'll be completely full on cupcakes. And, really, I think I'm OK with it! :rotfl:

I totally get your great love for ToT...it is splendiferous! :mickeyjum

Okay, I'm a little confused (too many trip reports from too many DISer's). Have you ever done TSM before? Doesn't Brandon know the craziness of this ride?

Mark would probably love that cupcake (I'd have to pass...I don't like peanut butter). I want to try the Red Velvet one in September.

I'm with you, I could do TOT over and over again.

I am completely with Joni. You had every right to have a bratty moment. :laughing: I would have.

Honestly, the mad dash isn't as bad as everyone thinks that it is. I don't go get a FP. I just go straight in line, and typically only wait about 20 minutes to get on the ride. It's just better. EVERYONE gets in line for FP. The trick is, that even though the line is out the door, none of the queues are actually open inside the building, so it's only a mild backup. Even on our New Year's trip, we only waited 20 minutes.

Mmmmmmm....Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcake!!!! Yummy!!! Need I say more? :rotfl:

Have you never been on TSM?! Other than doing the dash during the "monsoon" that I just wrote about for my TR (not posted yet-it's the next update), it's really not that bad, like Danielle said. If Brandon won't do it still, definitely go on your own and grab some Fast Passes. If you get them early enough, you may be able to get a second set before they run out and ride twice (because you will want to).

So thankful my hubby also loves TSM and we did the mad Fash in May 2009 so hopefully he is prepared to do it again!

For some reason I don't think it was as busy in May 2009 as it seems to be now though. I remember sleeping in on our DHS day and grabbing FP for TSM mid afternoon! I think that is unheard of now!!

The second day we went to DHS we were in the back of the pack but didn't wait to long for a FP or in the standby line...

I'm sorry, I laughed when Brandon chose to go to the Backlot Tour over TSM, because that is EXACTLY what DBF would do! We've gotten there so early in the day that it ISN'T OPEN YET. Betcha didn't think that existed, huh? :rotfl:

I kind of roll my eyes about going back on it again, but it is fun to roll through the predictable memories! And come on, how can you not like the little trip inside the costume department??

Your cupcake at Starring Rolls looks great! I hate to keep being the seemingly only naysayer about the Red Velvet one, but I still stand my ground and vote to skip it!

So did you get on TSM at all that day??

Love your Tower of Terror pics! Made me feel like I was there. I love TOT too. I'm counting down the days to our May trip! I'm sorry to see your TR come to an end!:)

That stinks you had to miss Toy Story Mania but I'm glad the backlot tour brought back some of your old memories with your family. I remember when I was younger I didn't really like Catastrophe Canyon. :laughing:

Love the Tower of Terror pictures-makes me feel like I'm in line for it! :goodvibes

I know this sounds like Dis-blasphemy, but Joyce and I hate TSM and never plan to do it again. OK, well I hate it, Joyce just doesn't like it so much. It's probably a combination of the mad dash, the expectation that it would be at least as good as Pirates of the Caribbean at DisneyQuest, and an unfortunate set of FP and waiting experiences.

The first time we rode it, the line said 45 minutes and it took us over 90. UGH! another time, most of the FP machines already were closed, but there were 2 left. When I was next in line, the person in front of me was getting approximately 87 tickets, so I sat there and watched the line next to me just keep moving. Finally they closed that machine, and as soon as the jerk in front of me finished his new deck of cards, they pulled the blanked over MY machine before I could get FPs! I was so mad that later in the week I got a FP just to rip it up in protest...

The GOOD thing about the dash (in my opinion) is that it leaves the rest of the park empty for me for about an hour :thumbsup2

Now that I'm past my rant...:goodvibes...we also LOVE the Writer's Stop! We found it a couple of years ago and realized it is one of the few places to get iced coffee in a park AND has the most amazing carrot cake cookie thingies!

Have to agree there. I don't hate TSM at all but it, along with Soarin', just don't feel that amazing to me! I'm not saying they aren't both fun, but to us we're happy to have done them once and if the lines are too long we don't lose any sleep over it.

Of course, I'm odd. My trip is not complete without seeing the Figment ride or the Mad Tea Cups.:rotfl2:

Love your ToT pic... too cute!:thumbsup2

The Saddest "Mad Dash" That Ever Was

Friday, 10/7

Basically, I agreed, but I was not happy about it, and I let Brandon know that I wasn't happy about it every 5 seconds. He kept saying what a baby I was being, and in my mind, I knew I was being a baby, but you know once you start acting like a jerk to your significant other, you sometimes can't stop? Like if you just stop and say "yeah, you're right, I am being a baby" you're somehow losing? Well that's how I was being.

][/CENTER]

Totally what I do all the time... Then you kind of feel like a jerk after going overboard with it... Yea that's me!

Anyway that cupcake looks amazing!!!!!

Tried to post a response from work today but my computer was not having it. I like you beotch line, but I'm not cutting and pasting it again.

Great ToT queue pictures.

I sort of know how Brandon felt. I wanted to get out of the TSM line in December, but once it started to move it wasn't bad. I can't blame you for not wanting to start your day off on the Backlot tour. Glad ToT cheered you right up.

Amazing cupcake.

Ah man! That sucks that you did not get to ride TSM!! That line may seem long in the morning when it's snaking around outside, but it isn't that long since at that point the building is pretty much empty. Same for the FP line, it goes quicker than it looks.

I totally understand acting like a brat, knowing it, but not being able to stop it. Guilty as charged. :rolleyes1

I feel the same way as you do with the cupcake, except opposite. I really want to try the peanut butter and chocolate cupcake, but I'm gonna have a hard time not getting the Red Velvet. It's just SO good, it's hard to believe the PB & C cupcake can be just as yummy. Guess I'll just have to visit DHS twice so I can get one of each! Or maybe one for breakfast, and one for lunch. :rotfl:

Oh. My. Gosh!!!!!
That chocolate peanutbutter cupcake looks DIVINE!!!!
I LOVE chocolate and peanutbutter and have been craving a disney cupcake and that just makes me want one SO BAD!!!!!

Sorry you had to miss out on TSM.

AH! ToT :D

Aww, I'm sorry Brandon didn't agree to the mad dash. I hope you get to do it eventually! I'm glad you got to enjoy your ride on the Backlot Tour though!

YUM CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER CUPCAKE!!!! I am honestly a chocolate peanut butter FIEND. I love that combination. HOWEVER, I'm afraid that it'll be too rich for me too try on a hot summer day! UGH.

Okay we need to have a DIS-intervention with Brandon and explain to him the importance of participating in the Mad Dash. :rotfl: I'm sorry you missed out on riding TSM, and I can totally related to your bratiness. I do that all the time with John- I will be totally aware that I'm being a turd, but I just can't make myself stop! Good thing they love us unconditionally- they have to! :rotfl: I'm glad it ended up working out though and you enjoyed your Backlot Tour! I wish I had childhood memories of Disney! Unfortunately I didn't start going until I was 20! It must be so cool to see things and remember them from when you were a kid! :goodvibes You're right- growing up sucks sometimes!

YAY for your Starring Rolls cupcake! I've never had the chocolate and peanut butter one but it sounds fantastic! :thumbsup2 I might have to try that in July, but I will still have to get the red velvet too!

I totally share your obsession with ToT. It's amazing! :lovestruc Everytime I ride I sit there wishing it would never end. It's one of the best!

Great update! I can't wait to see if you decided to go in the pool!

Haha, yeah, Brandon does sometimes need a DIS-intervention, I can't believe after 6 trips, he still doesn't get some things sometimes. Although, he doesn't devote his life to all things Disney like I do. For him, it's just a vacation. Which is INSANE. :rotfl2:

Isn't it nice that we can act a little bratty and still be forgiven? :rotfl: I try to not be like that too much, especially in Disney, but sometimes you just can't help it!

OMG that chocolate peanut butter cupcake is amazing! :worship: Maybe instead of trying the Butterfinger I'll get the red velvet and chocolate peanut butter! :banana: I mean, it's just too good!

Every time I'm on ToT and the elevator drops, and goes back up and drops again and again, I think "please don't let this be the last drop, just one more time!" I hate that it has to end! :scared1:

Cupcakes, ToT, and memories, oh my!

I loved that your memories totally turned the Backlot Tour around. You just never know when that ol' Disney magic is gonna hit you.

Your cupcake looked Ah. May. Zing. It's on my list now...The way I'm going, pretty soon I won't be able to go to any great TS places because I'll be completely full on cupcakes. And, really, I think I'm OK with it! :rotfl:

I totally get your great love for ToT...it is splendiferous! :mickeyjum

It was pretty amazing that my mood totally changed on that Backlot Tour, I mean, I was being such a jerk about the whole thing! It was nice to see something that I haven't seen in years!

There's nothing wrong with filling up on cupcakes! It was pretty amazing! Possibly the best cupcake ever!

ToT is the best ride ever! :worship:

Okay, I'm a little confused (too many trip reports from too many DISer's). Have you ever done TSM before? Doesn't Brandon know the craziness of this ride?

Mark would probably love that cupcake (I'd have to pass...I don't like peanut butter). I want to try the Red Velvet one in September.

I'm with you, I could do TOT over and over again.

Haha, yes, we have done TSM! We did it in 2010 when they had the Give a Day, get a Day promotion and you got FP's for 3 attractions at any time, so that eliminated the need to mad dash on that trip, and then on this trip, we got FP's during morning magic hours so again, no mad dash! He does know the craziness, and he thinks it's insane that people are so obsessed with it! I'm just hoping the reports that we've been hearing about DHS opening early are true, and the mad dash has been eliminated! If not though, I'm just taking his ticket and going alone! :laughing:

I want to try the Red Velvet one too, it looks so good!

I am completely with Joni. You had every right to have a bratty moment. :laughing: I would have.

Honestly, the mad dash isn't as bad as everyone thinks that it is. I don't go get a FP. I just go straight in line, and typically only wait about 20 minutes to get on the ride. It's just better. EVERYONE gets in line for FP. The trick is, that even though the line is out the door, none of the queues are actually open inside the building, so it's only a mild backup. Even on our New Year's trip, we only waited 20 minutes.

Haha, thanks! I'm gonna try not to let my brattiness get the better of me in May, we will be on our anniversary trip, after all! :banana:

Huh, I didn't know the doors weren't open inside yet! That makes sense, because the line outside was seriously crazy! :eek: Mad dash or not, I'm going on TSM at some point in May! :thumbsup2

Mmmmmmm....Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcake!!!! Yummy!!! Need I say more? :rotfl:

Have you never been on TSM?! Other than doing the dash during the "monsoon" that I just wrote about for my TR (not posted yet-it's the next update), it's really not that bad, like Danielle said. If Brandon won't do it still, definitely go on your own and grab some Fast Passes. If you get them early enough, you may be able to get a second set before they run out and ride twice (because you will want to).

I want one of those cupcakes right now, it was SO good!

Haha, yes, we have been on TSM, but we've always managed to avoid the mad dash! (See my response to Kathy, 2 posts above yours!) I'm definitely going to do it alone if Brandon refuses again! Or just get in the standby line, we'll see how the crowds are! :thumbsup2

So thankful my hubby also loves TSM and we did the mad Fash in May 2009 so hopefully he is prepared to do it again!

For some reason I don't think it was as busy in May 2009 as it seems to be now though. I remember sleeping in on our DHS day and grabbing FP for TSM mid afternoon! I think that is unheard of now!!

The second day we went to DHS we were in the back of the pack but didn't wait to long for a FP or in the standby line...

Brandon likes TSM, but he doesn't get the obsession over it. And I also think he doesn't like that I always beat him!

Wow, yeah, I can't imagine anyone getting a TSM FP in the afternoon anymore! I wish they would stop telling people in guide books to get them first thing, I feel like if they didn't, this insanity would die down a little!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter