One for the books

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaurenT

DIS Veteran
Ok - today's "I can't believe he's doing that" moment.
We all hate when someone takes flash photos during a dark ride... But this one was crazy!
We were stopped on Haunted Mansion in the area with all the bats with the glowing eyes and a guy a couple of buggies down from me was actually shooting video with a light! Not only is he bothering everyone else, but what's he going to get from that? A video of a wall with bats on it? It doesn't have the same effect once you shine a light on it - jeez!

Ok - today's "I can't believe he's doing that" moment.
We all hate when someone takes flash photos during a dark ride... But this one was crazy!
We were stopped on Haunted Mansion in the area with all the bats with the glowing eyes and a guy a couple of buggies down from me was actually shooting video with a light! Not only is he bothering everyone else, but what's he going to get from that? A video of a wall with bats on it? It doesn't have the same effect once you shine a light on it - jeez!

Always one knuckle head on every ride. ::yes::

So frustrating. It's so rude! I was on Pirates once, and the people in front of me took flash pics the entire time, turning this way and that with the flash going off in my face the whole ride. When I got off, I told the CM about it and asked if we could ride again. They let us, which was super nice. The first go around didn't even seem like we went on the ride. Couldn't see anything or enjoy it at all!!

Is it also a problem if a child brings a small flashlight for the dark rides. We were going to try that as my granddaughter is afraid, but I don't want to do anything to spoil someone else's experience. If that is the case maybe she could just wear glow necklaces and bracelets, but I thought the flashlight would make her more secure.

On the HM 2 guys started getting into a pushing fight over nothing. It was so sad, kids were crying. Its Disney have fun!

Sometimes its people with point and shoot cameras that don't know how to take them off auto.

Is it also a problem if a child brings a small flashlight for the dark rides. We were going to try that as my granddaughter is afraid, but I don't want to do anything to spoil someone else's experience. If that is the case maybe she could just wear glow necklaces and bracelets, but I thought the flashlight would make her more secure.

A flashlight might be a little annoying but maybe if the child kept the flashlight pointing down so that it isn't interfering with the ride.

I would go with the glow sticks. We took some for DS5 just in case. We ended up not using them.

I'm one of those people that doesn't go nuts if someone takes pictures on a ride. I do it myself!! Everyone tell me what a horrible person I am!!

Anywho, if your granddaughter will feel more comfortable with a flashlight, go for it! She should be able to enjoy rides just like everyone else. I wouldn't worry about other people.

Enjoy!

A few weeks ago, I saw people taking pictures in the 3D movies (Muppets and EO). Its like they don't think it through before snapping away.

Anywho, if your granddaughter will feel more comfortable with a flashlight, go for it! She should be able to enjoy rides just like everyone else. I wouldn't worry about other people.

Enjoy!

I very much disagree with this. Why should one person's experience be able to infringe onto and harm someone else's?

For the person who asked the question... I'd go with the glow sticks or necklaces. If you feel a flashlight is necessary, please go with something small and keep it pointed down and within your ride vehicle to avoid negatively impacting someone else's experience.

lovelybellanotte said:
I'm one of those people that doesn't go nuts if someone takes pictures on a ride. I do it myself!! Everyone tell me what a horrible person I am!!

Enjoy!

That's pretty obnoxious. Both the taking pictures part and the not bothering to worry about other people part.

Almost 20 trips and I have only experienced one really outright horrid ride experience...

We were on POTC. It was late and not terribly busy, DD and I were in the next to last row, and behind us sat 3 young College Program kids. They talked NONSTOP. And using their full speaking voices, not even attempting to be quiet, they spent the entire ride talking about everything from their schedules, managers, needing to go to Walmart, etc.... :(

I wanted SOOO badly to say to them when we got off, "If this had been our first time on POTC it would have been completely ruined because of you"...but I couldn't do it. I am not aggressive and don't like to cause trouble. The fact is my DD and I have ridden Pirates a hundred times at least so we pretty much just rolled our eyes and dealt with it, even though I know they should have been put in their place.

That's pretty obnoxious. Both the taking pictures part and the not bothering to worry about other people part.

What's obnoxious is that an ADULT would complain about a CHILD needing a small flashlight to feel safe on a ride. Grow up, people. We were all scared children at one point.

Welcome to Disboards, where someone doesn't agree with you so you get called obnoxious!!

What's obnoxious is that an ADULT would complain about a CHILD needing a small flashlight to feel safe on a ride. Grow up, people. We were all scared children at one point.

I normally stay out of these, but seriously? The pp you quoted did not complain about a "CHILD" needing a flashlight, but someone NOT being concerned about other people. There are many solutions to helping PEOPLE that are afraid of the dark. Maybe in trying to find a solution, there is one that is not as likely to be an infringement on other people.

Example of picture taking: I have been known on some dark rides to take pictures, but I turn off my flash since the flash distorts the pictures and I only use my view finder and not the back of the camera. I also do this when my moving around is not as likely to interfear with others view of the attraction. Sometimes this is requesting the last row of a ride or being in an individual car type ride.

Example of helping with fear of dark places: Let the person with the fear know there is a flashlight in a bag if it is needed if the ride stops or all the lights go out. Then for the ride, use glow-in-the-dark items or smaller items that have a light that does not actully shine far, such as a pen light that individuals use for close up work. Most people I know, children included, that have a fear of dark, just cannot handle pitch dark and being in a darker place just increases that fear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter