Once your flight landed, how long did it take to arrive at the resort using DME?

disprincess2213

DIS Veteran
I am wondering, on average, how long did it take you once your flight landed to get to your resort? I am curious to see the average time it takes upon landing, traveling, and arriving 'home'!

Last time I went, it was in May. The line was pretty short when we got to DME lines. 20 minutes, tops. Then the bus ride was an hour. I think it depends on how many people are there at the same time as you, and how bad the traffic is around the airport. lol

Our last trip was in December and we entered the DME area at the airport and it was packed! We got lucky because our bus pulled in within about 10 minutes after we lined up and our line, for the Grand Floridian, Contemporary, Poly & Wilderness was very short (compared to other resort lines) and we were at our resort within that 1.5 hours from getting off the plane. There were a lot of people there who were lined up for other resorts when we arrived and I think would have waited a long time after we left. I think the answer might depend on which resort you are staying at and how popular it is when you arrive.

As a side note, this was the first time we used DME (always rent a car) and I was amazed at how fast our bags arrived at our room.

In 9 years of DVC ownership, ME has never ever taken less than 45 minutes or more than 1 hour and 15 minutes. And that includes trips to all the DVC resorts except the Poly, and at all different times of year (altho almost always it's a late morning or early afternoon flight arrival time). Order of drop-off at the resorts varies (guess it depends on how many people are going to each resort...ME must use some kind of computer program to figure that out ... it's never the same)...

Our most frequent travel involves a flight that lands right around noon and we're pretty much always at whatever resort we're staying at by 1...that's 9 years, and maybe 30 trips? Give or take...

So, we plan on an hour, but still wouldn't book ADRs for any earlier than 3 hours after we arrive--actually, we seldom set up an ADR at all for arrival day...check-in can take some time, and I usually want to unpack/wind down and then just head to wherever our mood takes us...don't want to "have to" be anywhere immediately after arrival...

Our new-favorite-tip: Book flights that land at MCO before 5A. Walk right onto a bus ... and enjoy PRIVATE service to the Resort. ;)
It has worked for us twice now ... love it. We've arrived the resort as early as 5:30a ... so about 35-40 minutes following landing.

Aside that the red-eye flights, we typically are generally ~90 minutes from landing to resort.

Both times we used it our bus was waiting and we just walked on and left shortly after. About an hour or just over.

It also depends how long it takes to get 'landed' and off the plane. Your plane may be on time to land at 11:50, but it may be noon before the plane doors open and 12:20 before you are off the plane. A stop at the bathroom with a long line, and it might be 40 minutes between "landing" and showing up at the DME desk.

Traveled to both BLT and WL in the past year both times it was between 1-1.5 hrs
Another thing that can affect the travel time is the order of resorts and how many resorts each bus is dropping off. MK resorts share so you could be the 4th stop to be dropped off.

Once we were within 100 yds of BC, but there was a another ME bus in the loading area. We had to wait and wait and wait. It was agonizing, so close and yet so far. LOL

It also depends on what resorts are sharing the bus and if folks bring their luggage on the DME. It amazes me when folks go to baggage claim retrieve their luggage and then have to schlep it over to the busses. I pack a small carry on with stuff I may need before my bags are delivered.

Earlier this month landed around 3:30, at SSR around 5. Bags arrived at 7:30.

It seems no matter where we stay, they rearrange the drop off's so we are always the last on the list...smjj:)

First time: walked off the plane and walked into Poly room in exactly 1 hour
Second time: from plane to Poly lobby (not room) in about an hour, maybe a bit more
Third time: from plane to Poly room in 2 hours

With DVC, I echo the one to one and a half hours estimate.

We stayed at POP last December on a lark and landed at about 10:00am. We didn't make it to the resort until 12:30. It was insanely crowded in the MDE pen, and we had to wait for three or four buses to POP before we could board.

I average the hour and one-half. The hard part for me is waiting for the DME bus to fill.

For us we find the longest part is the waiting for the Bus to leave. We always seem to be the first person on the bus the have to wait for the bus to fill before it leave. It sometime feels like 1/2 an hour, but that being said I don't think we've ever been on it for longer than 1 hour and 15 mins. We always stay at Kidana or Jambo and are the last people dropped off. One time the driver told us we were supposed to be first but took the wrong exit. The videos provide a nice distraction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter