Once Upon A Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
DD17 and I watched the show together and enjoyed it a lot. I also look forward to seeing it next week.:thumbsup2

I thought about that. Could it be because Henry is not part of the enchantment? But then again, neither is Emma, really. They both came in from the real world. Maybe Emma is affected because she was born in Faerie (or whatever you want to call it). :confused3

Emma was born in the fairy tale world. Henry was born in the modern-day world. I think that's why Emma couldn't leave, but Henry could.

maybe it ties into Emma's birthday wish? She wished to not be alone and perhaps she has the *power* for things to happen even tho she has no idea? Henry may have been aware that that particular day would be his opportunity so he was ready to escape at the opportune time?

This was my thought as well.

I was also wondering how real Emma's power of knowing when people were lying was. We (hubby and I) assumed she decided to stay in Storybrooke because she knew the Mayor was lying when she said she loved Henry. I wonder if Henry has similar powers - like knowing what people are feeling (he knew Emma liked him an that the other characters didn't remember who they were). I am also dying to know who his dad is... since all we learned last night was that he had one, lol.

I think that Mr Gold knows who he was - I think that before the curse took effect, the queen went to see Rumpelstiltskin and he made a deal with her. I suspect it was similar to the deal he made with Snow White. The deal with Snow White was - I will tell you what you want to know, if you tell me the baby's name. I bet he told the queen Emma would be her downfall in return for allowing him to 'own' the town and keep his memory. In the fairy tale, he was in prison, but in Storybrooke he is the richest man in town. It is in his best interest to keep Emma down.

I am wondering what 'power' he will have over her - by knowing her name...

My whole family enjoyed the show. I do hope it lasts for a while! I'm pretty sure I will need to check in here weekly to see if there is anything we missed.

Kristen

I am also VERY curious as to Henry's Dad is.

I also wonder if the sheriff will be a storybook character. Maybe the Huntsman from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs?? Or maybe the Wolf from Little Red Riding Hood??

Liking this show so far. I didn't watch Lost so I like that someone figured out references and posted them. That's neat.

I've been trying to figure out the sherrif as well. My closest guess is the Huntsman? I did figure out that the older guy (a deputy?) that was at the prison was Geppetto.

I also think that John Doe will be awakened when Snow White kisses him. I can't decide if that will be the final act that breaks the spell (reversed from the apple spell) or if he will need to awakened to fight the final battle.

Much like LOST I think the creators already have a set # of seasons/episodes in mind and that the story is largely planned.

I just read this online...

First of all, it should be noted that as of right now, the cast is working on Episode 10 and as of Episode 10, the scripts are following the same fashion. As producer Steve Pearlman puts it, viewers will travel to Fairy Tale World "typically … in the first act," sometimes for a "small chunk," sometimes longer. But this idea of dual reality will continue to be the norm for the show going forward, so if you found LOST annoying, we'd steer clear of this show.

for those that felt that way.

Another "loser" here.:rotfl:

LOL, me too! But it's interesting to read about the references anyway. Tells me that the writers are clever.

We LOVED this show! It's definitely a great family show for families with "older" kids. Our DD is only 4, and spooks easily, so she won't be watching.

So my biggest question/theory surrounds Rumplestiltskin/Gold. My theory is that he was paid off somehow (with either money or the gift of "knowing") by the Queen in exchange for the name of the child. I think he knows everything. Just my theory though.

I cannot WAIT for next week's episode. This is going to be one of those shows that has me counting down the days until Sunday...:rotfl: The one good thing is that it's the kind of show that I can watch again mid-week, because there will surely be things I miss when I watch it the first time. That'll help make the time pass more quickly. :thumbsup2

I was also wondering how real Emma's power of knowing when people were lying was. We (hubby and I) assumed she decided to stay in Storybrooke because she knew the Mayor was lying when she said she loved Henry. I wonder if Henry has similar powers - like knowing what people are feeling (he knew Emma liked him an that the other characters didn't remember who they were). I am also dying to know who his dad is... since all we learned last night was that he had one, lol.

I think that Mr Gold knows who he was - I think that before the curse took effect, the queen went to see Rumpelstiltskin and he made a deal with her. I suspect it was similar to the deal he made with Snow White. The deal with Snow White was - I will tell you what you want to know, if you tell me the baby's name. I bet he told the queen Emma would be her downfall in return for allowing him to 'own' the town and keep his memory. In the fairy tale, he was in prison, but in Storybrooke he is the richest man in town. It is in his best interest to keep Emma down.

Somehow I missed this post...but I absolutely agree with your thoughts/theories/questions. We're on the same wavelength!
I love a show that makes you think and elicits thoughtful conversation! :)

The one good thing is that it's the kind of show that I can watch again mid-week, because there will surely be things I miss when I watch it the first time. That'll help make the time pass more quickly. :thumbsup2

Absolutely! I watched the pilot for the 2nd time last night and can't believe the things I missed the first time around. Although, I have to admit I'm not the brightest bulb when it comes to catching details in tv shows or movies...

I foresee myself watching every episode twice and still finding things on the DIS that I didn't think of or missed, lol. :laughing:

First my take:
I'm a children's librarian, and I've studied Grimm's fairy tales in depth, so I was really excited. I really enjoyed it. I'm a little surprised that so many people are confused. Although I think people are less confused and more looking for answers that are always left out to keep us watching!

None of the characters know who they are- with the possible exception of The Queen and Rumplestiltskin.

I caught the pear, the bowl of apples, the apple cider reference, the queen looking in the mirror, show white with the bluebird, I'm guessing Leroy is Grumpy. Is the Sheriff the Huntsman? How about the fact that Jiminy Cricket was walking a DALMATION? I really expected the queen to start talking to her mirror- sort of a confirmation to us that she KNOWS who she is. They want to keep us guessing....

I agree. I think the Queen and Rumpelstiltskin do know who they are and that they have control. The preview was pretty clear that the Queen went to him.

And nice catches! I loved all that stuff and the Lost references.

Did anyone else think that Emma looked older then 28? Also, what was the deal with SW's right ear (with short hair) it seems to stick out sooo far.

I totally agree about Emma. She is a very beautiful woman and I thought she was a good actress, but she is NOT 28. Looked it up on IMDB she's the same age as me--31! She looks older than that IMO!

I am also VERY curious as to Henry's Dad is.

I also wonder if the sheriff will be a storybook character. Maybe the Huntsman from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs?? Or maybe the Wolf from Little Red Riding Hood??

Maybe the Sheriff of Nottingham? It depends how much they bend the what is a fairy tale thing. I don't care who he is, he's hot!!:laughing:

In many stories, knowing a persons true name could be used for spell casting or binding. Look at the story of Rumpelstiltskin...the maiden had to guess his name to break the contract.

Rumpel could give her name to the Queen, who then could curse Emma or he could bind Emma into a deal with him.:wizard:

Somehow I missed this post...but I absolutely agree with your thoughts/theories/questions. We're on the same wavelength!
I love a show that makes you think and elicits thoughtful conversation! :)

I totally agree! I am really excited about this show! I have missed the days of LOST - watching and guessing and talking to other people who are guessing too, lol - SO FUN!

I LOVED all the little references - I was annoyed that I couldn't figure out who the guy walking the dalmatian was - when he said it was Jiminy Cricket I let myself off the hook, LOL :lmao:

This show looks like it will be a lot of fun - I hope ABC doesn't ruin it!

I LOVED all the little references - I was annoyed that I couldn't figure out who the guy walking the dalmatian was - when he said it was Jiminy Cricket I let myself off the hook, LOL :lmao:

Don't feel bad, my DH kept saying that he was Rumpelstiltskin! I was like 1. He's NICE! and 2. He's a different actor!!

Of course he also said that Emma and Snow White were the same actress. At one point, I was like "She's her DAUGHTER!! It's not the same actress! Did you even look at the previews for the show with the 2 versions of Snow in the window with the bird!" :lmao:

Just watched this show and am definitely intrigued. Can't wait to see more! :thumbsup2

First my take:
I'm a children's librarian, and I've studied Grimm's fairy tales in depth, so I was really excited. I really enjoyed it. I'm a little surprised that so many people are confused. Although I think people are less confused and more looking for answers that are always left out to keep us watching!

I agree. I think the Queen and Rumpelstiltskin do know who they are and that they have control. The preview was pretty clear that the Queen went to him.

And nice catches! I loved all that stuff and the Lost references.

I totally agree about Emma. She is a very beautiful woman and I thought she was a good actress, but she is NOT 28. Looked it up on IMDB she's the same age as me--31! She looks older than that IMO!

Maybe the Sheriff of Nottingham? It depends how much they bend the what is a fairy tale thing. I don't care who he is, he's hot!!:laughing:

The Sheriff is very easy on the eyes:)

The Sheriff is very easy on the eyes:)

Not to mention the accent! He's officially my Sawyer for this show! :love:

eye-candy-jamie-dornan-13.jpg

Yummy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter