Onboard Airline Check-In

MIDisFan

DIS Veteran
Why is it necessary to fill out a form onboard the ship if you purchase transfers and provide your flight information during the online check in process?

Just got of the Dream Monday and was confused by the form. I thought it was for those who had not done so already online. Since I didn't fill out and turn in the form on time, I was unable to do the airline check in. The whole purpose and only reason I paid for Disney transfers for the 4 of us. Could have got a one way car rental for less than half that price.

Because just giving them the information for transfers does not state that you want to use OAC. You have to authorize them to use your information to check you in and for them to charge any applicable baggage fees.

Also because people will make up flight information to use the transfer and then Lyft or Uber from the airport.

Because just giving them the information for transfers does not state that you want to use OAC. You have to authorize them to use your information to check you in and for them to charge any applicable baggage fees.

Also because people will make up flight information to use the transfer and then Lyft or Uber from the airport.

Thanks, I guess concierge just assumed we wanted online check in on our first cruise. Have to consider that as a concierge benefit I guess. Didn't have to fill out any forms. Wonder why they want your flight information if there is no scheduled time to board the bus like there is with ME. Can't see them caring that people make up flight times as long as they get their $35 per head.

Thanks, I guess concierge just assumed we wanted online check in on our first cruise. Have to consider that as a concierge benefit I guess. Didn't have to fill out any forms. Wonder why they want your flight information if there is no scheduled time to board the bus like there is with ME. Can't see them caring that people make up flight times as long as they get their $35 per head.

I have no idea.

I think they do try to have busses ready for people so they have some for “between Time X and Time Y”so if it gets too close they can send the bus even if not filled. I know I usually have later flights and have been directed to a different bus than people just in front of me going to the airport when neither bus was full - and the other one left first.

I think the thing is not everyone who takes the shuttle to the airport wants to use OAC and so it is just easier to require people who do to sign up for OAC separately. I would have been majorly ticked if they had assumed I wanted to use it the one time I sailed Concierge - I do not check bags, and I prefer to look at the seat options when I check in to see if a better seat has opened up. I’ll make a note if I am ever crazy enough to do concierge (I am far too low-maintenance to be comfortable with it) to tell them I do NOT want them checking me in.

The other thing is luggage. Just knowing that you have a flight and are taking transfers to MCO doesn't give them all the information they need to check you in with your flight. They need to know - by person - how many bags are being checked so they can get the proper baggage tags and charge you the correct fees.

They have always collected the "after cruise" information like flight information even before they added OAC so I don't know if they are required to or not. But I don't think it gets linked anywhere for use (not that they couldn't, I just don't think they ever did.) I do try to point out that OAC does require an additional form to be turned in whenever I see the question about check-in documents asked here or general questions about OAC. I do think they don't make it clear that everyone using OAC needs to fill out that form. I know about it and still almost forgot to do it on one cruise.

I think they could make the form a little clearer for the slower folks like myself. :rolleyes: Wasn't a big hassle to grab our own luggage. When I realized my mistake on Sunday morning, I tried to get it added at guest services and was told it was too late. Guess they need that 2 day lead in to do airline check in as well. Live and learn.

Disney Cruise probably doesn't care if someone "makes up" a flight then takes other transportation from the airport. However, if a castmember tries to check someone in for a flight and can't (because the person isn't actually on the flight), that will take time to sort out. This would also happen if someone changed flights after Online Check-In and forgot to update the check-in information. Thus, it's most efficient for DCL to ask anyone who wants to use Onboard Airline Check-in to fill out a form with the correct details.

Disney Cruise collects information on post-flight plans during Online Check-In even for people who are not using Disney transportation to the airport (and people who are not flying at all). I am guessing this helps them have an idea of how much trouble would be created if a cruise is significantly late in arriving back to the port. For example, if only a few people on the cruise have flights before 2 pm, they'll need fewer busses ready to go immediately than if a lot of people do. Having a general sense of how many people are planning on driving home, visiting a Disney resort, or being picked up at the port probably helps with planning as well.

Plus they have to have your flight confirmation number (aka record locator) to actually check you in for your flight and check your bags.

Plus they have to have your flight confirmation number (aka record locator) to actually check you in for your flight and check your bags.

Thank you. That is where I was trying to go with that. Lol. Brain was not engaging.

I just double checked my emails from shore side concierge on our first cruise and I never provided them with the flight confirmation number. Maybe the concierge team asked me for the info when I was onboard and I just don't recall. I know for certain I did not fill out any form while onboard. What everyone is saying makes complete sense to me. I just didn't care for the manner in which guest services handled the situation. No explanation, just "sorry its too late"

Just to add my 2-cents, on a Fantasy sailing a few years ago, somehow my OAC form I turned in when we checked in wasn't processed. On the last night when we usually receive our boarding passes and luggage tags, we didn't get ours. I made a quick dash down to guest services for help. I spoke with a supervisor who was VERY helpful. After providing my record locator and other info to the cast member, an officer delivered our documents to our room within an hour. Awesome DCL service! From that cruise on, I always stop down to Guest Services mid cruise to confirm my form was processed.

Just to add my 2-cents, on a Fantasy sailing a few years ago, somehow my OAC form I turned in when we checked in wasn't processed. On the last night when we usually receive our boarding passes and luggage tags, we didn't get ours. I made a quick dash down to guest services for help. I spoke with a supervisor who was VERY helpful. After providing my record locator and other info to the cast member, an officer delivered our documents to our room within an hour. Awesome DCL service! From that cruise on, I always stop down to Guest Services mid cruise to confirm my form was processed.

It's great they were able to help you out. My frustration stems from the fact that the CM I spoke with at guest services was less than helpful in our situation. I too, went down to guest services as soon as I saw the normal luggage tags for pick up at customs. CM went in the back to speak with a supervisor and came back out and just said "It's too late" and didn't offer any explanation as to why. When I pushed for an explanation, CM would only apologize and stick with it's too late. CM wasn't rude although a little snarky at one point. I just felt like they could have been more helpful and your experience reinforces that thought.

It's great they were able to help you out. My frustration stems from the fact that the CM I spoke with at guest services was less than helpful in our situation. I too, went down to guest services as soon as I saw the normal luggage tags for pick up at customs. CM went in the back to speak with a supervisor and came back out and just said "It's too late" and didn't offer any explanation as to why. When I pushed for an explanation, CM would only apologize and stick with it's too late. CM wasn't rude although a little snarky at one point. I just felt like they could have been more helpful and your experience reinforces that thought.
If it was, indeed, "too late", what would you have the CM do? He/she checked with a supervisor, apologized (multiple times, apparently) and can only repeat "it's too late". I'm not sure what further explanation would be required.

If it was, indeed, "too late", what would you have the CM do? He/she checked with a supervisor, apologized (multiple times, apparently) and can only repeat "it's too late". I'm not sure what further explanation would be required.

I'm not sure if you read the post I quoted or not but that person had a similar situation and DCL was able to help out. They could have done the same for me but Disney service IMHO is inconsistent at best these days. I'm not trying to say it was a terrible, trip ruining experience. They could have and should have done more.

The primary difference I see between the two situations reported above is that Madmacdad indicated he did complete the paperwork at check-in but somehow it didn't get fully processed. Maybe the paperwork was found, or something indicating he had turned it in at check-in was noted on his account, therefore they were able to complete the process. If there wasn't reason for the paperwork to be turned in early, DCL would allow guests to bring it down with their luggage or turn it in last minute. Therefore I have to assume there is some contact between DCL and the airline which allows this to happen, which is why the paperwork is required in advance. It's not just a DCL service, it's coordinated with the participating airlines (not all airlines participate either) -- so it's hard to place full blame on DCL customer service in this case.

@MIDisFan -- sorry it didn't work as you expected. While it's not blasted in my face, I've never felt the info about OAC was hidden or not clear. At least now you'll know for next time.

I had a similar experience in April. I thought we were already signed up for OAC. We did get a notice on our fish but DH threw it out. In the hurry to get bags packed and out the night before we just didn’t realize we didn’t get our boarding passes. It would have been nicer to not have our small carry on bags to deal with but oh well. Live and learn!

Can't see them caring that people make up flight times as long as they get their $35 per head.

Except that OAC generally (always? it's the entire point for me) has to do with bags being sent from the ship to the airport. So it's pretty important that there is actually a flight being taken.

I'm not sure if you read the post I quoted or not but that person had a similar situation and DCL was able to help out.

Their situation was a few years ago and they had filled out the paperwork. Different specifics...

I had a similar experience in April. I thought we were already signed up for OAC. We did get a notice on our fish but DH threw it out. In the hurry to get bags packed and out the night before we just didn’t realize we didn’t get our boarding passes. It would have been nicer to not have our small carry on bags to deal with but oh well. Live and learn!

Sorry you had the same experience, but I feel better that I'm not the only one that thought the same way. While it wasn't a big deal to handle our own luggage, I wouldn't have paid for Disney transfers if it were not for the convenience of the OAC. In the end, it's probably a good experience. Since the process was much easier than I expected, I'll probably skip the Disney transfers all together and just do a one way rental.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter