• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OMG.....This stinks

LOL!!! That's what impressed me the most too! Haha! I'm not even sure how that's possible, but I hope I never have to find out.

Lol! It wasn't easy but had to get done! Most days I was home alone and no one to ask for help...started by wrapping it around my abdomen backwards so I could clip it ( I could hold one side against my stomach with the bad arm resting on top of it) then spun it around little by little and pulled one side up at a time and slipped over the shoulders.

Around the same time I had a friend that developed frozen shoulder after mastectomy surgery and I taught her how to do the same method

DH broke his ankle 10 weeks ago and we head to DL next week. He's out of the fracture boot, but is still swelling pretty bad. I keep thinking "man, why couldn't he have broken his arm instead!!" You will still have a great time :)

Haha! Well my injury was also due to doing something I shouldnt have been doing......taking out the trash! Usually my husband does it, but it was late and the kitchen trash can was full. I took it out to barrels, in the driveway. I didnt want to get my feet dirty, so I just threw on the closest shoes I could find...my sons size 13 flip flops. I was coming back up the steps to the house and tripped. Tried to grab the railing, but apparently only karate chopped it with my hand and broke the metacarpal bone below my pinky. Why I am in a cast from my fingertips to my elbow is something Ill never know.

My birthday is coming in a couple of weeks. If I get any kind of luggage harness, I WILL cancel the trip (and possibly the marriage!!)

Ouch! Are you in a boxer cast?

? Im in one just like this. A tab bit longer on the arm... View attachment 113743

Yep, a boxer cast. They "likely" have your fingers and wrist immobilized to stabilize the fracture and prevent displacement.

Sounds like you broke the same thing DH did a could of years ago. They called it a boxer break and put him in the same type of cast. They don't want you moving your fingers at all. It was a total pain. His 2nd cast just immobilized his pinky and ring finger.

Sounds like you broke the same thing DH did a could of years ago. They called it a boxer break and put him in the same type of cast. They don't want you moving your fingers at all. It was a total pain. His 2nd cast just immobilized his pinky and ring finger.

Im hoping there is no second cast, but if there is, the second one you described sounds a lot better than what I have. Yes, its the metacarpal bone just below the pinky. My next Dr appt is 08/28. We leave for Disney 09/10. Im being SUPER careful, hoping at the next appt this thing can come off.

Im hoping there is no second cast, but if there is, the second one you described sounds a lot better than what I have. Yes, its the metacarpal bone just below the pinky. My next Dr appt is 08/28. We leave for Disney 09/10. Im being SUPER careful, hoping at the next appt this thing can come off.
:genie: I'm hoping along with you!

sorry for your injury! it's been interesting reading this thread though b/c I always assumed Disney wouldn't let people on rides w/casts (we went to a non Disney amusement park when dd was younger, and when she tried to get on rides she was refused by the operators-when I asked to speak to a manager of the park they got one who explained their insurance prohibited it).

that said-if you do get the cast off or get a smaller version prior to your trip: keep in mind that the skin that's been inside the cast will not have been exposed to the elements for several weeks so make sure to apply extra sunscreen to the newly exposed area to prevent a nasty burn, some good deep penetrating lotion will help w/any dry skin issues and we also used something akin to desitin to deal w/reactions to pool chemicals and such (only seemed to affect her for the first week or so until the skin got reacclimated to being exposed everything). if you get completely out of the cast check w/your doctor about some type of protective apparatus you could wear while in the park or doing other activities-when dd got her cast off the orthopedic center she went to made her (same day) a little custom molded support for the area of her arm that was basically made of hard plastic on the outside w/soft foam on the inside, it was hinged on one side w/Velcro straps on the other. for the most part she used it when she was going to be in situations/doing activities where she might get bumped or jostled on the affected area.

the paranoid over planner in me also says it might be a good idea for you to review your health insurance to make sure you're covered outside your home area (in our case 'service area') b/c some policies don't cover non emergent services outside your area (and I know my p.i.t.a. insurance would say that if I had a pre-existing break and opted to go to an amusement park where I reinjured it all the out of region care would be on my dime). if you've got travel insurance don't rely on it-most have a provision that disallows anything you've been diagnosed with or received treatment for w/in 60-180 days prior to leaving on the trip.

hope all works out for you-have a great time but take care, I'm still healing from "minor" orthopedic surgery 5 months ago-you don't want to have to go that route.

sorry for your injury! it's been interesting reading this thread though b/c I always assumed Disney wouldn't let people on rides w/casts (we went to a non Disney amusement park when dd was younger, and when she tried to get on rides she was refused by the operators-when I asked to speak to a manager of the park they got one who explained their insurance prohibited it).

that said-if you do get the cast off or get a smaller version prior to your trip: keep in mind that the skin that's been inside the cast will not have been exposed to the elements for several weeks so make sure to apply extra sunscreen to the newly exposed area to prevent a nasty burn, some good deep penetrating lotion will help w/any dry skin issues and we also used something akin to desitin to deal w/reactions to pool chemicals and such (only seemed to affect her for the first week or so until the skin got reacclimated to being exposed everything). if you get completely out of the cast check w/your doctor about some type of protective apparatus you could wear while in the park or doing other activities-when dd got her cast off the orthopedic center she went to made her (same day) a little custom molded support for the area of her arm that was basically made of hard plastic on the outside w/soft foam on the inside, it was hinged on one side w/Velcro straps on the other. for the most part she used it when she was going to be in situations/doing activities where she might get bumped or jostled on the affected area.

the paranoid over planner in me also says it might be a good idea for you to review your health insurance to make sure you're covered outside your home area (in our case 'service area') b/c some policies don't cover non emergent services outside your area (and I know my p.i.t.a. insurance would say that if I had a pre-existing break and opted to go to an amusement park where I reinjured it all the out of region care would be on my dime). if you've got travel insurance don't rely on it-most have a provision that disallows anything you've been diagnosed with or received treatment for w/in 60-180 days prior to leaving on the trip.

hope all works out for you-have a great time but take care, I'm still healing from "minor" orthopedic surgery 5 months ago-you don't want to have to go that route.

Excellent advice. Thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter