OMG.....This stinks

DISNEY1975

DIS Veteran
I leave for Disney in 6ish weeks. Weve been waiting a year for this vacation. We doing everything Deluxe.... resort, dining, park hoppers, waterparks, MNSSHP, etc...

Well....Last Tuesday night, I broke my left hand. Its casted and Dr said 6 - 8 weeks to come off. I said "You have 5". I can barely take care of myself with one hand. Typing this post is a chore! I cant even do my own hair, let alone fold clothes or try to pack. Hubby has been great so far, but taking care of me and daughter for 12 days at Disney will not be the fun vacation we planned :guilty:.

All I can say is Ugghh. Has Anyone else gone to Disney injured? How did it turn out?

I'm sorry. :(

The typing issue alone would drive me crazy.

I hope you have a great trip anyway.

DH broke his wrist before a trip. I think maybe 2 weeks before. It was holiday time and he got a red cast so it would be festive
He was fine......we didn't do water parks though.
He rode all the rides and ate all the food ;)

One thing I've learned is to let go of the idea that everything has to be a certain way. Step back, look at what's really important, and let the rest fall by the wayside. Having your hair in a certain style won't matter a bit compared to the fun you'll have at the parks together.

On the practical side, how old are your kids? Even little kids can help pack. Your older ones can help with the little one. Your hand should feel better by the time you leave, so try to keep that in mind. You feel a little helpless at the moment, but it just happened. By the time your departure day comes, you'll have had several weeks to get used to having the cast and will be much more proficient at handling everything. Hang in there! :)

Awww, sorry this happened and hope you are not in too much pain! rolling clothes vs folding works just fine to pack, if your daughter can do that part, might be fun! Put on some Disney tunes, (whistle while you work? lol)and you can point out things you need and she can roll 'em up and fit them in the suitcase. I would see what types of powder etc may help with the heat inside the cast though. That would be a bigger concern to me than packing. I would also have a stash of plastic bags as the rains do hit each afternoon , just so you can cover it if needed and continue on. Don't worry about the hair, that's what hats are for and there are some super cute ones out! Biggest thing I can think of it really truly affecting is just time getting ready in the mornings, and maybe some time at the ts meals. On the up side, can you use it some how for a costume idea for MNSSHP? And think of all those character autographs :D Actually, I have no idea if characters are allowed, but I bet you will get some reactions from them. Hnag in there, a hand is for sure, inconvenient, but you are going to WDW not, skiing, that would have been a deal breaker , most likely.

Remember, in 6 weeks, you will be much more acclimated to doing things without the use of your hand.

My daughter tore her ACL right before our trip one summer. Between a wheelchair, a stabilizing brace, lots and lots of ice, and a lot of patience, we still managed to have a good trip.

Best of luck to you :)

So sorry! My DD broke her thumb at day 1 of her softball nationals last July (actually was a scrimmage before the nationals even started). It was in Oklahoma and DH drove her there from MD and paid good money to go (hotel for the week) and she couldn't play (her twin sister could though, so DH couldn't cancel hotel and come home). We had vacation, about 10 days after the nationals, at Disney and Hilton Head. She went with a cast but couldn't really swim and have complete fun at the beach or water stuff at WDW. But she was 15 and didn't really care about having to miss the swimming. She had fun anyway. She'd go waist deep and hold her hand up (the cast did get a little wet). She rode the rides with the cast on, no problem (just didn't do kali river rapids though she could have put a bag over...bring newspaper bags to throw over in a pinch). She too hated buttoning her pants and putting her hair up- we had to help her with that stuff. She could not WAIT to get that cast off. And boy did it stink when it came off (all that sweating, salt water, sand, shark fishing trip didn't help, food like melted mickey head ice creams). DH just drove off with them for this year's nationals and I hope neither one gets hurt cause, of course, we'll be at WDW next week. Wish you luck dealing with the cast.

Last edited:

I leave for Disney in 6ish weeks. Weve been waiting a year for this vacation. We doing everything Deluxe.... resort, dining, park hoppers, waterparks, MNSSHP, etc...

Well....Last Tuesday night, I broke my left hand. Its casted and Dr said 6 - 8 weeks to come off. I said "You have 5". I can barely take care of myself with one hand. Typing this post is a chore! I cant even do my own hair, let alone fold clothes or try to pack. Hubby has been great so far, but taking care of me and daughter for 12 days at Disney will not be the fun vacation we planned :guilty:.

All I can say is Ugghh. Has Anyone else gone to Disney injured? How did it turn out?
I know when my kids have broken wrists, ankles, and arms, it would be 6 weeks before they took the cast off and took more x-rays, but they'd usually put another shorter cast on for a couple weeks. I would plan on you having some kind of cast on during your trip.

As others have said, step back and look at the big picture. You'll be on vacation, you'll be used to the limited mobility by that point, and your family will be helpful.

My dad lost his (fortunately? ugh) non-dominant hand in an accident several years ago, so I know it's hard to manage one-handed. I get wanting to vent about an annoying situation, but it seems a little extreme to think that a grown man and an 11-year-old can't really take care of packing, or themselves, without your left hand. For me, the biggest pain about packing is deciding what to take, not folding and physically putting things in the suitcase, and you don't need two hands for that.

Now, taking the cast off too soon and reinjuring your hand while you're there is what would really put a damper on the trip. Getting on and off rides, someone jostling you - is the risk worth it? You'd be constantly thinking of how to protect your hand and I imagine that worry would be stressful. All things being equal, a little inconvenience is worth peace of mind.

Awww, sorry this happened and hope you are not in too much pain! rolling clothes vs folding works just fine to pack, if your daughter can do that part, might be fun! Put on some Disney tunes, (whistle while you work? lol)and you can point out things you need and she can roll 'em up and fit them in the suitcase. I would see what types of powder etc may help with the heat inside the cast though. That would be a bigger concern to me than packing. I would also have a stash of plastic bags as the rains do hit each afternoon , just so you can cover it if needed and continue on. Don't worry about the hair, that's what hats are for and there are some super cute ones out! Biggest thing I can think of it really truly affecting is just time getting ready in the mornings, and maybe some time at the ts meals. On the up side, can you use it some how for a costume idea for MNSSHP? And think of all those character autographs :D Actually, I have no idea if characters are allowed, but I bet you will get some reactions from them. Hnag in there, a hand is for sure, inconvenient, but you are going to WDW not, skiing, that would have been a deal breaker , most likely.

Wonderful ideas! Especially the plastic bags.

Yes, my daughter and hubby can pack for us, but I hate asking for help. In this case I have to. Just a stinky situation.

Make a list of what needs to be done (if you don't already) so that you can direct people to take care of certain tasks. How old are your kids? Can your oldest help the younger ones pack? Maybe do the baggie method for clothes--pack a full set for each child for each day in a baggie. That way, you can just grab one out of the suitcase. Much easier than having to hunt for all of the parts. Do you have short or long hair? If short, get some headbands. If long, get some pony tail holders. If your oldest is a daughter they should be able to help you put one or the other in your hair. Hubby should be able to help you dress.

You're thinking like a woman/wife/mom wondering how you can take care of everybody with your injury. Start thinking like a man/husband/dad: I am injured, therefore you're going to have to cut me some slack and cater to my every whim. I am hurting here, I'll be needing another Mickey bar and a drink. ;)

Make a list of what needs to be done (if you don't already) so that you can direct people to take care of certain tasks. How old are your kids? Can your oldest help the younger ones pack? Maybe do the baggie method for clothes--pack a full set for each child for each day in a baggie. That way, you can just grab one out of the suitcase. Much easier than having to hunt for all of the parts. Do you have short or long hair? If short, get some headbands. If long, get some pony tail holders. If your oldest is a daughter they should be able to help you put one or the other in your hair. Hubby should be able to help you dress.

Great idea about the bags. Of the kids, only my daughter is going. She can certainly help. My boys are older, but hardly ever home. Working, out with friends, at gym etc... They have been helping cook dinner, grocery shop, fold laundry. I feel like such a burden. Im an old school mother...just did everything for everyone. Very strange having people help me..and I hate asking.

My hair was long, but I cut it yesterday. Everyone in the family helped with ponytails the first couple of days, but mid day, it would be loose and nobody around to help put it back in. Decided to chop off and wear a headband. Ive been wearing elastic waist shorts all week..have to buy more! I only have 2. Just to get a piece of toilet paper off the roll is a pain!!!

You're thinking like a woman/wife/mom wondering how you can take care of everybody with your injury. Start thinking like a man/husband/dad: I am injured, therefore you're going to have to cut me some slack and cater to my every whim. I am hurting here, I'll be needing another Mickey bar and a drink. ;)

LOL! I needed that laugh!

OP, I'm sorry you got injured. I know what you mean about doing things for everyone and now you can't. I broke my ankle several years ago and couldn't walk on it for 3 months. My 11yo at the time got my breakfast for me every morning before she left for school. Usually a banana and a yogurt. My 14yo at the time cooked dinner with my help some nights. Lean on your family for help. Hopefully you will be more adjusted to having one hand to use for your trip. Be careful on going on rides, you don't want to re-injure.

10471249_10203710662598517_4981433414722459683_n.jpg
10636063_10203706886144108_1614039706119986673_n.jpg

This happened to my son right before one of our vacations. The doc put him in a regular cast and said we'd check it right before the vacation to see how it was healing. At that appointment it had healed enough to do a waterproof brace-type thing that was much better. I'm not sure if that would be an option for you?

ask about waterproof casting if you have the cast replaced for any reason. It makes life soooooo much easier

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter