Olympic Eating With Team GB ** COMPLETED - WDW & DCL**

That magic cookie bar looks amazing, and different from the one I had at P.O. Riverside last year. I might have to make a trip over to the WL to get one and compare ... purely in the interest of research of course. :rolleyes1 :lmao:

19th May 2012

It was with a sad heart that we said goodbye to The Fantasy but at least we had a week at the World to look forward to :thumbsup2

We checked in at SSR mid-morning and our room was ready :cool1:

4db2d4b2.jpg

After dropping our bags and taking a walk around our new home we decided to take advantage of our location and walk over to Downtown Disney for an early lunch

I’d always wanted to try Paradiso 37 and the thought of a cold margarita sitting on the patio sealed the deal

62fe413c.jpg

Cucumber Margartia

I’d attended a mixology class on the Fantasy (see what I did there? I tried to make it sound educational by using the word ‘class’ :laughing:) and had discovered a love of Cucumber Martinis (who’d have thought!) so I was excited to see a Margarita version on Paradiso’s very extensive Margarita Menu

I’m happy to report that it was delicious, really refreshing and not at all sweet

DH ordered his usual Coke whilst we checked out the menu

We’d had a decent breakfast before leaving the ship so we decided to just order a couple of appetisers

Here’s my choice

8aa94162.jpg

Quesadillas - Flour Tortillas Stuffed with your Choice of Steak or Chicken. Topped with Imported Cheeses and Served with Sour Cream and tomato salsa

I asked for these as a veggie option and they were happy to do that for me

And for DH:

1a683413.jpg

North American Corn Dogs - Bite-sized Corn Dogs Fried to a Golden Brown. Served with Honey Dijon Mustard Dipping Sauce

Both of our dishes were delicious :goodvibes

I loved the Cheese Quesadillas which were hot, fresh and tasty and the tomato salsa added a nice little kick, plus, anything smothered is sour cream is a winner in my book! (sorry I don’t seem to have a picture of the salsa and sour cream)

DH really enjoyed his Corn Dogs. He had only ever tried a corn dog once before (we don’t really have them in the UK) and he had found it to be a little too sweet. Happily that was not the case here and he ate every last one

The service here was great and it was wonderful to sit outside in the sunshine and watch the world go by :cloud9:

After our lovely lunch we strolled back to SSR and jumped in the car before heading over to DHS as we wanted to check out the Hyperspace Hoopla at Star Wars Weekends

I don’t actually remember us grabbing anything to eat whilst we were at DHS so by the time we got back to SSR we were beginning to feel hungry

Neither of us wanted to venture far so we ended up getting a couple of flatbreads and salads from Artist’s Palette which is the counter service location at SSR (sorry no photos as I didn’t have my camera with me!)

DH ordered a Pepperoni Flatbread and I had the Roasted Vegetable version

To be honest they were both pretty bland. My Vegetable Flatbread looked beautiful but was completely tasteless and DH said that the Pepperoni was really greasy

This was the one and only time we ate here so I’m not sure if this is usually a good CS option but it did nothing for us

Next Up: Snacking at Epcot !

Joining the review!!!

Finally all caught up also. I've been away from the boards for the last few weekds and boy, there are lots to catch up! ;)

Loved reading your Ohana breakfast review. We ate there on our last trip (both breakfast and dinner) and had wonderful, relaxing meal despite it's character meal. I think it's more relaxing than other character meal b/c it's served as to buffet so you don't have to get up in between the character meets. We also loved the view of MK castle and meeting Stitch. :thumbsup2

Thanks for reading along :goodvibes
'Ohana is certainly more relaxing than the buffet style character meals that's for sure!

Great review of 'Ohana! Sounds like the perfect way to start your vacation. :cloud9:

Nothing like a hug from Pluto so start your day :cloud9:

Ohana looks good! What a fun way to start your cruise day, with a breakfast with Mickey and the gang.

We have not been to Ohana for breakfast in a long time, but the food looks tasty, so it might creep back on our list. ;)

The food was really good Karin and it was so much more relaxed than the other character meals we have tried :goodvibes

Hope you had a great trip!! Can't wait to see your reviews and pics! I would love to go on a Disney Cruise one day!! :)

We really did have an amazing trip and the cruise was just off the scale wonderful :cloud9:

That magic cookie bar looks amazing, and different from the one I had at P.O. Riverside last year. I might have to make a trip over to the WL to get one and compare ... purely in the interest of research of course. :rolleyes1 :lmao:

You must consider it your DIS Board duty to conduct as many 'research trips' as possible :laughing:

Glad to see you've started your reviews! ::yes:: Looking forward to more...

Hey there :goodvibes, thanks for joining in
I see you have another cruise to look forward to :thumbsup2

I have had Paradiso on and off my list several times. I think it has to remain off for our upcoming trip but will keep it in mind for future trips. The cucumber margarita definitely looks interesting! I don't think I have ever heard of that before.

Okay, I have a long list of to do restaurants already for our summer vacation and I just added Paradiso. Sounds like a nice option for just appetizers and a cold drink. Need to look up if they offer any special beers - guess Tom would love that. ;)

I am so sorry Artist's Palete was not good. We have had the tastiest flatbreads there. They used to have a cheeseburger one, which we loved. :laughing:

I have had Paradiso on and off my list several times. I think it has to remain off for our upcoming trip but will keep it in mind for future trips. The cucumber margarita definitely looks interesting! I don't think I have ever heard of that before.

The thing with Paradiso 37 is that it that is just a lovely place to sit, especially the outdoor patio :goodvibes

Okay, I have a long list of to do restaurants already for our summer vacation and I just added Paradiso. Sounds like a nice option for just appetizers and a cold drink. Need to look up if they offer any special beers - guess Tom would love that. ;)

I am so sorry Artist's Palete was not good. We have had the tastiest flatbreads there. They used to have a cheeseburger one, which we loved. :laughing:

Hey Karin, I think that Paradiso's strongest menu is their appetizers and it's a great place to stop for a quick snack whilst enjoying DTD :thumbsup2

I was so excited when I saw this report! I've read all yours before..don't think I've ever commented though. Love seeing all the food and drinks! Can't wait to see the rest!

Late to the party but great reviews so far. I have to try that Magic Bar in October. Add me to the list that would love to hear about the Fantasy food!

Jill in CO

Getting caught up with the last few posts and Paradiso looks lovely. I don't think I have ever seen a review for that place. Both of your appetizers look very tasty and the patio dining looks very relaxing. Looking forward to so much more! :goodvibes

Hey hun, I am all caught up. I love that you started your trip with a night at VWL :thumbsup2 I love the flatbreads at VWL (especially the BBQ pulled pork flatbread at VWL, which obviously you wouldn't like but I can assure you is delicious).

We weren't overly impressed by Artist's Palette when we stayed at SSR (the one and only time - yes, I know it's our home resort but we just love some of the other DVC resorts so much more) - I love the proiximity to DTD though. I still have never had a corn dog - something which I will HAVE to rectify in August. I hope you scoped out some great places for us to go drinking in 2013 ;)

Seeing as you now have your masters in Margarita, I will trust your review and I need to try that cucumber margarita. It sounds fantastic! And those appetizers look pretty good too!

Yay, another DR from Linda!!! I have loved your others and can't wait to read more of this one! Cucumber Margarita sounds delicious! La Cava doesn't doesn't offer one of those yet, right? Maybe I will ask them to make one for me when we are there. I love the Avocado, but I bet the cucumber would be lighter and more refreshing.

Love your title!

So excited to see your review. That magic bar from Roaring Forks looks amazingly tasty.

Count me in for the Fantasy review too. We're debating going next summer, but I could use a little encouragment since I've never done a cruise before.

I was so excited when I saw this report! I've read all yours before..don't think I've ever commented though. Love seeing all the food and drinks! Can't wait to see the rest!

:welcome: happy you can join us!

Late to the party but great reviews so far. I have to try that Magic Bar in October. Add me to the list that would love to hear about the Fantasy food!

Jill in CO

:goodvibes Never too late to join the party and it's great to have you here!

Getting caught up with the last few posts and Paradiso looks lovely. I don't think I have ever seen a review for that place. Both of your appetizers look very tasty and the patio dining looks very relaxing. Looking forward to so much more! :goodvibes

Paradiso is a great option in DTD, especially for lunch or to just grab a drink and snack :goodvibes

I am in and super excited! So glad you are back to do another review!

:welcome: Thanks for reading!

I hope you scoped out some great places for us to go drinking in 2013 ;)

I sure have, our crawl starts in La Cava and ends in The Rose & Crown .... or the medical centre ... which ever comes first :rotfl:

Seeing as you now have your masters in Margarita, I will trust your review and I need to try that cucumber margarita. It sounds fantastic! And those appetizers look pretty good too!

A Masters in Margaritas .... Love it, I am going to put M.I.M after my initials now :lmao:

Yay, another DR from Linda!!! I have loved your others and can't wait to read more of this one! Cucumber Margarita sounds delicious! La Cava doesn't doesn't offer one of those yet, right? Maybe I will ask them to make one for me when we are there. I love the Avocado, but I bet the cucumber would be lighter and more refreshing.

Love your title!

Aha - check out the next review for a nice cucumber surprise ;)

So excited to see your review. That magic bar from Roaring Forks looks amazingly tasty.

Count me in for the Fantasy review too. We're debating going next summer, but I could use a little encouragment since I've never done a cruise before.

:welcome: so glad you are joining in!
The cruise was simply amazing, you would love it!

Sunday May 20th 2012

Our plan for today was to visit Epcot as it was the final day of the flower and garden

We arrived just before rope drop and after grabbing our Soarin FPs and taking far too many photos we headed into Sunshine Seasons for the type of breakfast that can only be enjoyed guilt free whilst at Disney World ;)

32bdda81.jpg

Strawberry Shortcake

Thank you my DIS Friends, you didn’t steer me wrong on this one

10 out of 10 DELICIOUS :cloud9:

Why oh why did we split it between the two of us :sad2:

We continued our tour around future world before heading over to World Showcase, starting in my favorite country - Mexico

f5659835.jpg

It’s often said that the reason that people enjoy spending time in WDW so much is that it allows a total escape from the day to day realities of our lives; let me think about that for a minute ......

Real World = Gym, Oatmeal, Banana and maybe a cup of coffee before lunch

Walt Disney World = Strawberry Shortcake and a visit to La Cava Del Tequila before lunch :rolleyes1

f7ffe8e2.jpg

Cucumber Margarita - 
El Mayor premium silver Tequila, orange liqueur, caramelized pineapple juice, fresh basil, cucumber and agave nectar, served on the rocks

Ladies and gentleman, we have a winner - this may even overtake the Avocado Margarita as my favourite La Cava beverage :woohoo:

So with a little more swagger in my step than previously, we headed over to Norway to pick up another snack from my ‘must do’ list - yes I had an actual list, not just a mental one (please don’t judge - I didn’t laminate it so that makes it acceptable)

14c69529.jpg

Kringla Sweet Pretzel

After initially joking about how ridiculously big this pretzel was, I went on to devour the whole thing!!

It was totally yummy and was super fresh

DH opted to have something a little more sensible:

cacde7b5.jpg

Norwegian Club Sandwich - turkey, ham, and bacon with Jarlsberg and Muenster cheese with fresh tomatoes, sliced red onion, and lingonberrry mayonnaise

The CM in the bakery asked if DH would like it toasted and a few moments later a perfect hot and tasty treat was delivered

He ate every last crumb and declared it to be “Mmmm”

Moving on round the park we checked out China before the smell coming from Karamell Kuche in Germany called us inside

2a1d1c8b.jpg

In what seemed like a harder decision than selecting my course subjects at High School we chose these two delights

a0e1f393.jpg

Chocolate and Caramel Pecan Cluster

This was DH’s choice and he was certainly smiling when he had finished eating it

aaebdd2a.jpg

Milk Chocolate Salted Caramel Square

This was my choice and let me tell you, it was the right choice to make. If you can imagine something that is lovely and creamy and then make it more lovely and creamy, and finally, just for good measure, make it even more lovely and creamy and you have just about got the idea :cloud9:

In celebratory mood we popped over to Italy for a little shopping and liquid refreshment

DH got a Coke, and for me ....

1792fb60.jpg

Rosa Regale - Italy Pavillion

I really shouldn’t like this as I tend not to enjoy drinks that are overly sweet but I always sit next to the fountain in Italy with one of these and love it!

Coming Up Next - Off To Magic Kingdom and Dinner At The Plaza

Hm, perfect choices again, Linda! Apart from the Rosa Regale, which makes me :sick: yuck!
But the Strawberry Shortcake is just so disneylicious and that pretzel :goodvibes and then a visit to La Cava! :cloud9:

Okay, better get back to work - I am gaining weight just looking at the food! :rotfl2:

Your Epcot snack day was so enjoyable to watch! That is our favorite thing to do in all of WDW, especially during food & wine fest!!!:goodvibes

So excited about the Cucumber Margarita from La Cava! Was it as good as the one from Paradiso? Also, it looks like it has a salt rim, but you didn't mention that in your detailed description. Does it have a salt rim? Seems like the orange and pineapple would overpower the cucumber, but I am willing to give it a shot on your advice! :thumbsup2

And about the strawberry shortcake from SS...is it real, proper shortcake? The kind that is a bit dense and not very sweet? In all the photos I see of it, it looks like regular yellow cake. I love a proper shortcake, but I'm not a real fan of regular cake stuffed with strawberries.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter