Old enough to venture on their own

My sister and I were turned loose in the Magic Kingdom at 12 and 13. It was great!

We had pre-arranged meet times that we knew were non-negotiable. This was before ubiquitous mobile phones, though - if we'd had those, it probably would have just been pre-arranged call times.

I would think that as my kids get older it will be a natural progression from no freedom to going to the bathroom on their own to fastpass runner to riding a few rides on their own to a few hours apart, etc. We give our kids lots of room for "supervised independence" now like ordering and paying for their own food at a fast food restaurant (we're in the restaurant, of course, but not right on top of them). I think if you start small and build their confidence that it helps them make better choices. Since I'm there I can talk about what they're going to do beforehand, watch them, and then talk about how it went ("oops, you forgot to say thank you!" or "Good job noticing you got the wrong change back!").

:thumbsup2

It really depends on the child, how you define "letting them go off on their own", how they perform in various scenarios, and the risks in that time/location. Like it's no big deal if they are late to a quick serve lunch, but it's a big deal if you split up at the airport and miss a flight.

As a matter of course, our family doesn't tend to split up very much at WDW. Part of the point of our vacations is to spend precous time together, usually as an extended family. That's not a knock againist anyone who vacations differently. The most we tend to split up is for an hour or two if someone needs to rest. We meet up for breakfast/dinner, and try to compromise our interests. The amount we split up tends to be little more than the above examples- like sending someone to get fastpasses.

In August, my friend and I let our daughters ride the Mexican boat and wander around the Mexican pavilion while we had a margarita. They were 8 1/2 and 9 1/2....but we were in the building.

We let our kids go off together at 11, 11, and 13, but only in the park we were in. They would do 1 or 2 rides and we'd all meet back up. We did this a couple times, for short periods, and they had a cell phone with them. This summer, the twins will be almost 14, and the oldest will have just turned 16. I'm still not sure exactly how much freedom they'll get.

Depends on the kids and the adults.

My nephews are 13. I'd probably let them go. My mom (who by the way let me wander around in theme parks and the zoo/concerts/fair at that same age) would NOT let them.

She is older now and more of a worry wart and frankly there is more news coverage of all the bad things and it scares her.

The funny thing is, I'm not sure how my nephews would be in this situation. I mean they are independant and wander around on thier own a lot now at the mall or in the neighborhood or at gyms/school type events, but frankly they like having a convient pack mule and wallet at thier beck and call.:lmao: I think they'd stick if not right with me at least within shouting distance.

They'd be comfortable running around the resort (they are very comfrotable with hotels and stuff) but they usually do check in with us or grab a snack or money because they know where WE are. In the parks without us being in a set location they'd probably be better about sticking close.

Depends on the kids maturity levels.
At 10, my son was more than capable of going off on his own in the parks. He had a cell phone and cash.
But he didn't want to go off alone.

I wouldn't have wanted him to go with his little sister though. They fight too much.

What would you consider as an ok age, to allow your child to venture on their own with another sibling? An additional fact to add, which may or may not affect your opinion .... The siblings have been to Disney 5 times already.

I'm just curious what the popular opinion is.

My DS12 went off with his team friends last May. There wee 6 of them and they just met up with us every once in a while. I will say he is very responsible and I had no concerns at all.

With my DD10, I am guessing I'll be a little more protective. Partly because she tends to be more reckless than DS and that whole dad/daughter thing. Just part of my nature I guess.

I know times are different now, but my parents let us off on our own(kids together) around 11/12.

DD was 17 and her friend was 15 last trip (DD's second trip to WDW) and they were off on their own quite a bit. They navigated the transportation system, went to parks, went back to the resort, I left them in DTD one afternoon when I got overly warm and they still wanted to shop, etc. DD was 15 on her first trip to WDW and I probably would have let her then, but there were six of us so there was almost always someone who wanted to go where she wanted to go.

I started at loyola at 17 and was babysitting at 13 but college was late 90s and lots changed since then...I think my brother got to leave unsupervised under 21:)

We started letting our boys go do things in their own recently. They are 12, 11 and 9. They are more grown up than most and we trust-worthy. We have been to the parks sooo many times and they know them well. Since they don't want to ride the rides with the little kids all the time we give them a phone and let them go do big kid things.
Like at Epcot they spend hours in inoventions and rising test track over and over. At Mk they will ride space mountain over and over.

We have a rule of call every hour and if for some reason the call won't go through we meet at the baby care center.

Just thinking of one more variable to questions like this- One thing that hasn't been mentioned is health issues, like asthma, heart conditions, or life threatening food allergies. I think in the case of a child with a known health risk, it would be harder to leave them alone.

A child of that age is probably already going and doing enough that they probably know how to deal with their issue. Don't you think?

:rotfl2: This is how I feel.

I was 8 when I was allowed to take the monorail from to MK along with my sister. Sometimes I wonder how we survived childhood at all. ;)

At 17, I was at WDW on my honeymoon with my husband.

Fast forward some years and I let one of my daughters, 16 at the time, take the bus alone from POR to Epcot for illuminations. I was at the room with her tired little brothers and was worried sick and second guessing myself the entire time she was gone. I trusted my responsible and mature daughter 100%, it was the rest of the world I didn't trust.

Fast forward another decade and now I feel like I will never let my grandchildren out of my sight, regardless of age. I guess I've watched too many true crime shows over the years.

So, to answer the question, I feel like 65 i a good answer. :)

2 kids and my niece and each one has very different capabilities! I think safety is the most important aspect and increasing the level of freedom based on how well they handle each task. Personally I wouldn't allow a very responsible and capable child under 14 to travel between parks and hotel alone, 15 or 16 would be a better bet, with a partner of course.

DS, 15, has been traveling with school for some years so he is used to handling the responsibility. I think we do ours kids a disservice when we don't increase their responsibilities and freedoms, especially in environments where they are safe and we are readily available. I like knowing when I send them off to college they have learned to handle themselves, a multitude of situations, etc... While I'm there to guide them. I think WDW, is a great place for them to start! I have a DN14 and because she never had parenting is so far behind in these type skills, that other than the restroom or a shop, will be with one of the three of us.

We let our daughter go off on her own when she was about 14. We met up with her several times during the day to eat meals, etc.

My daugther will be 14 next month. She is an only child and I personally would not let her go off on her own. However, if she had a friend with her I would let them in the same park we are in. I don't know when I would let them roam free using the bus system. Right now I feel like at least 15 maybe 16. Her 7th grade class went to Universal Studios last year and the rule was at least 4 kids had to stay together if an adult was not with them.

WOW, what a great number of responses to my original question.

My daughter is 13 and my son is 11. Our next trip is in a month. At this time, I have no plans on letting them roam free but the thought of it did cross my mind that at some point, they're going to ask for the freedom. Until that happens, my wife and I will be enjoying our family time together having great Disney experiences.

Really depends on the kid but I would say within the park, probably 11 or 12? Traveling to and from the park/resort, probably 15ish

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter