OKW....very disapointed

I've stayed at OKW three times, I think. Never had a room in bad condition but they definitely could use a major refurbishment there. Now that I've stayed in the brand spanking new Kidani, OKW would really seem old and tired.
;)

Dean, IMO - providing anecdotal information proclaiming another timeshare to be flawless is a bit off-topic for this DVC Forum. The thread is about complaints about maintenance and housekeeping at OKW and is not really the proper venue to offer personal praise for another timeshare which is not even presently available via DVC programs, IMO.

There are many who can offer similar complaint about Marriott, but this is not the venue for that either.

Diane's comment was spot on, IMO.
Then we disagree. It's not anecdotal about how Marriott plans these issues, it's factual, and it isn't especially about saying one is better than another overall, only that one does things one way and others another. The reason for the comparison is that one has a specific plan and the other appears not to (I've asked) and in this situation, that lack of a plan is affecting the quality of the resort.

This is the only true disappointment I've had in 13 years of owning DVC: the LOUSY HARD CHEAP MATTRESS we had in January!!!

I won't stay on a bed like that again. PERIOD.

LOL--I just read another thread where a poster was complaining about the beds being too SOFT at another DVC resort!

I'm confused...How did a question about OKW turn intoa Marriot sales pitch?

I didn't see it as a Marriott sales pitch personally. I appreciate when people with experience in other timeshare companies compare and contrast their experiences versus DVC. DVC was my first timeshare and I really have/had nothing to compare it to--so if I didn't know any better, seeing broken tiles, loose doors on cabinets etc. may seem like something one should just expect in a timeshare. Knowing that this is NOT the "norm" will help IMO and I will be sure to report it if I see it. I would also think that DVC would have a rehab schedule--very surprising that they don't. But that may be because it "times out" unlike other timeshares that go on forever--so someone like Marriott has more of an interest in keeping the units up. Of course--it is scary that if DVC lets OKW "go" at this point in its lifespan (especially when they just did the extension) how bad will it get when we get down to five or ten years left? :scared1: And that goes for any of the DVC resorts.

I also just bought a Marriott timeshare a few months ago but haven't stayed there yet--so it will be interesting to make my own comparison. So far I have only stayed at SSR but will have stayed at BCV prior to my Marriott stay so will have two DVC's to compare. And no--I don't work for Marriott.

Then we disagree. It's not anecdotal about how Marriott plans these issues, it's factual, and it isn't especially about saying one is better than another overall, only that one does things one way and others another. The reason for the comparison is that one has a specific plan and the other appears not to (I've asked) and in this situation, that lack of a plan is affecting the quality of the resort.

Comments like "We own at Marriott and have never run into such conditions" are most certainly anecdotal and that is what Diane was questioning.

Since Marriott is NOT affiiliated with DVC at this time, the comparison is off-topic (IMO) and would be better served at TUG or many other sites. Marriott renovation plans are also not really velevant for the DVC Forums whether you insist they are factual or not. You have not provided any "factual" information about Marriott renovation schedules - only anecdotal comments (but feel free to provide a link to the Marriott site that outlines that schedule or the DVC site that outlines the DVC schedule). While your personal opinion is certainly valid, it is not an official statement from either organization, IMO.

Your insistence that there is a "lack of a plan" for DVC is also anecdotal. I'm certain you are not privvy to the DVC plan, but that does not mean there is a "lack of a plan".

There have certainly been similar comments about Marriott (and many other timeshares) on other sites. IMO, there is no reason to promote these other timeshares here with anecdotal information.

Comments like "We own at Marriott and have never run into such conditions" are most certainly anecdotal and that is what Diane was questioning.

Since Marriott is NOT affiiliated with DVC at this time, the comparison is off-topic (IMO) and would be better served at TUG or many other sites. Marriott renovation plans are also not really velevant for the DVC Forums whether you insist they are factual or not. You have not provided any "factual" information about Marriott renovation schedules - only anecdotal comments (but feel free to provide a link to the Marriott site that outlines that schedule or the DVC site that outlines the DVC schedule). While your personal opinion is certainly valid, it is not an official statement from either organization, IMO.

Your insistence that there is a "lack of a plan" for DVC is also anecdotal. I'm certain you are not privvy to the DVC plan, but that does not mean there is a "lack of a plan".

There have certainly been similar comments about Marriott (and many other timeshares) on other sites. IMO, there is no reason to promote these other timeshares here with anecdotal information.
I couldn't argue with saying DVC doesn't APPEAR to have a plan as being anecdotal. However, I've actually asked this question of appropriate people on several occasions over several years, I'd venture that puts me ahead of most here as to an understanding. I'd love to see any additional information you might be able to provide to the contrary and I'd love to be wrong. I believe it's factual to say that there has not been a true, orchestrated hard refurbishment for any of the DVC resorts thus far and it's bee 17 years for OKW. The quote in your post is anecdotal, I'm not sure I could be as strong in a comparison. I have a lot of experience with both and we've seen a few issues over the years with both. I'd have to say that the resorts in Marriott that I've seen issues with that I felt were resort issues have actually improved over time, I hope that happens with DVC as well.

We'll have to cont to disagree as to comparing other timeshares to DVC being inappropriate on this site. It is a point of reference, one where I believe DVC seems to be lagging behind, not an advertisement for another company. It simply is one that many of us actually know enough to feel comfortable making statements about and one that many DVC members at least have some knowledge about. As for an affiliation, that's not entirely true as there are Marriott's in RCI as well that members may be looking to trade to, not many but a few.

Well we argree to disagree. This formum is not just for praise of DVC and it you have a hard time with it, which you seem to have, I am sorry.

Dean - quit while you're "ahead"!!! ;)
:)

Dean seems to be the most rational on this board. Many of you are open minded but I think too many drink too much Disney Coolaid. You need to get a life. If comparison is so offensive then dont comment. I want Disney to live up to its end of the bargain and I can say they have not kept up at all on the maintenance. I paid more end expect more.

I couldn't argue with saying DVC doesn't APPEAR to have a plan as being anecdotal. However, I've actually asked this question of appropriate people on several occasions over several years, I'd venture that puts me ahead of most here as to an understanding. I'd love to see any additional information you might be able to provide to the contrary and I'd love to be wrong. I believe it's factual to say that there has not been a true, orchestrated hard refurbishment for any of the DVC resorts thus far and it's bee 17 years for OKW. The quote in your post is anecdotal, I'm not sure I could be as strong in a comparison. I have a lot of experience with both and we've seen a few issues over the years with both. I'd have to say that the resorts in Marriott that I've seen issues with that I felt were resort issues have actually improved over time, I hope that happens with DVC as well.

We'll have to cont to disagree as to comparing other timeshares to DVC being inappropriate on this site. It is a point of reference, one where I believe DVC seems to be lagging behind, not an advertisement for another company. It simply is one that many of us actually know enough to feel comfortable making statements about and one that many DVC members at least have some knowledge about. As for an affiliation, that's not entirely true as there are Marriott's in RCI as well that members may be looking to trade to, not many but a few.

Thanks for agreeing that your comments about DVC renovation are anecdotal and that comments by others praising Marriott are also anecdotal.

I'm sorry to hear that DVC has not shared any detailed renovation plans with you. I'm still waiting for a link to similar information from Marriott - perhaps they have not really been willing to provide that information either. Otherwise anything posted about Marriott's renovation schedule is also anecdotal.

So, you want to compare the RCI Marriott resorts with DVC?

Great, lets look at Marriott's Monarch at Hilton Head. What is the renovation schedule for that resort? When was it last hard-renovated? When did that resort open? Why not also comment on Marriott's Harbour Point - also at Hilton Head. Please report the renovation schedule there too. Feel free to include the TUG ratings for those resorts (although, IMO, the TUG ratings are also anecdotal) - that would also be pretty appropriate since those are part of the proud Marriott family where there are never any problems at resorts (at least anecdotally). For those who have not checked on TUG, Disney's HHI resort is rated #2 at Hilton Head Island, Marriott's Monarch is #22, Marriott's Harbour Point is #26 and Marriott's Sunset Pointe is #28 - in spite of the "superior" Marriott renovation program.

Here is a link to the TUG ratings for Hilton Head Island resorts. Individual reviews for these resorts may be read by TUG members - http://tug2.com/RnR/ResortsGrid.aspx?ResortArea=15&ResortGroup=35

IMO, threads expressing complaint about DVC resort issues is NOT an open invitation to promote other timeshares - whether they are affiliated with DVC in any fashion or not. There are certainly other forums on the internet where that is very appropriate. The DVC Forum is fine to discuss DVC policies and issues but providing anecdotal information praising (or compaining about) other timeshares goes beond the intended scope of this board.

If you really want to discuss DVC, this is a great place. If you want to discuss Marriott, try TUG or TSTODAY - both are good resources for timeshare discussion.

What did Marriott do to you? It must have been bad for you to get so defensive. Disney has been skimping on maintenance for the last few years. I own 1000 points and stay there more than almost anyone else on this board. I also stay in the Disney hotels and there rooms are rarely in the condition of many of the DVC rooms.

I think that most comments on this post relate to that. If you think by downgrading Marriott is the way to address this problem then more power to you. I think the reasonable approach is to tell Disney you expect more.

Comments on comparison are good, not only to one other time share but to all. I really do think that since you are a moderator you need to be a little more objective.

Don't know. You can ask but I don't think they will give out that info as it changes according to load factors at the resort.

Thanks for agreeing that your comments about DVC renovation are anecdotal and that comments by others praising Marriott are also anecdotal.

I'm sorry to hear that DVC has not shared any detailed renovation plans with you. I'm still waiting for a link to similar information from Marriott - perhaps they have not really been willing to provide that information either. Otherwise anything posted about Marriott's renovation schedule is also anecdotal.

So, you want to compare the RCI Marriott resorts with DVC?

Great, lets look at Marriott's Monarch at Hilton Head. What is the renovation schedule for that resort? When was it last hard-renovated? When did that resort open? Why not also comment on Marriott's Harbour Point - also at Hilton Head. Please report the renovation schedule there too. Feel free to include the TUG ratings for those resorts (although, IMO, the TUG ratings are also anecdotal) - that would also be pretty appropriate since those are part of the proud Marriott family where there are never any problems at resorts (at least anecdotally). For those who have not checked on TUG, Disney's HHI resort is rated #2 at Hilton Head Island, Marriott's Monarch is #22, Marriott's Harbour Point is #26 and Marriott's Sunset Pointe is #28 - in spite of the "superior" Marriott renovation program.

Here is a link to the TUG ratings for Hilton Head Island resorts. Individual reviews for these resorts may be read by TUG members - http://tug2.com/RnR/ResortsGrid.aspx?ResortArea=15&ResortGroup=35

IMO, threads expressing complaint about DVC resort issues is NOT an open invitation to promote other timeshares - whether they are affiliated with DVC in any fashion or not. There are certainly other forums on the internet where that is very appropriate. The DVC Forum is fine to discuss DVC policies and issues but providing anecdotal information praising (or compaining about) other timeshares goes beond the intended scope of this board.

If you really want to discuss DVC, this is a great place. If you want to discuss Marriott, try TUG or TSTODAY - both are good resources for timeshare discussion.
My purpose was to discuss Marriott and others as a comparison and example of industry standards based on the topic posted. I could certainly respond to many of your points (inc the reasons for TUG ratings being skewed) as I do have information there, but that would digress from this thread which seems to be getting argumentative. I'll bow to your guidance as webmaster.

OOPS! I didn't mean to start a controversy! Dean, a comment about Marriot is one thing, but the ongoing discussion seemed to turn more to that than the question at hand, which was maintenance at OKW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter