OKW....very disapointed

hmmerr02

Mouseketeer
Hey guys...please no flames....just an accurate report of our room quality at OKW last week. We got a 2 bedroom in building 25 (HH guarantee) and I've never seen a WDW resort room is such condition. The couch in the living room had stains on the arms and cushions. the throw pillos were matted flat and the chair in the room had a partially broken leg. the carpet looked very worn. There was a ring of old "funk" around the bottom of the walls in the bathroom (where the walls meet the floor). It just looked like dirt buildup that hadn't been cleaned propertly over time. We had to order the egg crate cushions to make the beds sleepable. I was embarrassed since it was the first time we took my parents to OKW and they were so excited about staying there. My dad was even disappointed (and he's a Motel 6 kind of guy!). anyone else having these experiences?

we loved it. We went in Feb and thought the bed was the most comfortable "hotel" bed we had ever slept in....we had none of the issues you had. We did have issues with house keeping like not leaving cofee or not leaving soap etc. (we pd oop it was before we bought dvc) That being said it was my first time at disney since i was akid so I might have magic glasses on :rotfl:

So far I have not had a bad experience at OKW. We loved our stay there in Jan. I'll admit the coffee table had some scratches and the sofa cushions were a little worn but nothing like what you described. But that was all just normal wear. We had no cleanliness issues. The bathrooms and kitchen were spotless, the beds were great and everything was in good working order.

I just hate to hear that there are folks in Mousekeeping that aren't keeping up the good reputation of OKW!

We'll be there next month in a 2 bdrm. We are OKW owners and haven't been there since Dec '06. Your report has me really concerned, especially since we noticed a decline in the appearance of our villa then. I sure hope that we won't be disappointed. :sad2:

Hey guys...please no flames....just an accurate report of our room quality at OKW last week. We got a 2 bedroom in building 25 (HH guarantee) and I've never seen a WDW resort room is such condition.

i hope you pointed out the issues to management at OKW while you were there.

I am hoping you will report that all of these 'unpleasant issues' were brought to the attention of the OKW management. Whenever we have had any problem with any resort (and they are few in number) never have I been unhappy with the way management took care of our concerns.

The few times we had problems we received either a new room, free dinner for the family or one time our points were returned to us. I hope they took care of you and turned this sour situation into a sweet resolution.

Pics please. These things need to be verified/documented and sent to management for correction.

I did alert the onsite management and today I sent an email to member satisfaction. I don't know what they'll do, but I do hope they acknowlege the issue. Are any of the DVC resort completely renovated? I know this comment is subject to decorating taste, but it seems that OKW is very outdated. I know they close the regular resorts to remodel occassionally and since the DVC resorts are newer than other regular resorts that have been remodeled, does anyone know how dvc will handle this over time?

We were disappointed over the past year at all Disney DVC. They are letting them run down. OKW, BWV and BCV all had big issue problems with dirty carpet, wore carpet, old damaged furnitre. We own at Marriott and have never run into such conditions. I think Disney is letting all resorts fall apart before they fix it up. Then when thy do, the don't replace all the furniture. We are very dissapointed. WE go all the time and this is getting worse.

Pete

I have never had the issues that you are reporting. But we have been in units in the past, as others describe, that show a little wear, but nothing out of the ordinary.

However as we are discussing rehabs, etc., why does it seem that OKW has the most plain and industrial carpeting of all the DVC resorts. I remember when it first opened it was nice carpet, more with the theme. Then a number of years back when they did a rehab they replaced the carpet with that dark blue (it is blue isn't it) carpet that almost seems industrial in nature. All the other DVC resorts have really nice carpeting.

Does anyone know if OKW is up for a full rehab anytime soon, new hard goods, carpeting, flat screen televisions, etc. Just wondering if anyone heard anything...

We've been staying at OKW (our favorite resort) for 15 years and have never had a room in that condition. However, I have to say that the housekeeping there is definitely not what it used to be. It has really gone downhill and the maids are either really, really lazy, or way overworked. We have had some very dirty rooms over the past couple years- which was unheard of previously. Two years ago, we had a room that had clearly not been cleaned, there was even a ton of burnt cheese hanging from the oven rack. I had a housekeeping manager come to our room so I could show him the rusted frying pans, rusted can opener, food left in the cupboards, crackers on the floor, grease on the stove and countertops, etc. He's the one that discovered the cheese in the oven, we hadn't even looked there yet. He had the room cleaned again for us and it was spotless after that.

If this happens to anyone else, please insist that these situations are taken care of and don't just clean it yourself. Unless people complain and give them the opportunity to correct it, they won't think there is any problem.

I find this report particularily interesting if not disturbing, since building 25 is one of the buildings that recently underwent refurbishing a few months ago.

Pics please. These things need to be verified/documented and sent to management for correction.

you're exactly right....I wish I would have thought about this! I'm sure if would have helped member satisfaction. Darn it!

We have stayed @ OKW several times and (luckily) never experienced anything close to what you described. I'm thankful you notified management and hope you don't have an experience like that again!

We were at OKW for the first time in April and had no issues. We were in building 42 and our two studios were in excellent condition and the beds were very comfortable (I was concerned because DS and DDiL were with us and DDiL was 7 months pregnant.) I will admit that compared to our home resort (SSR) the furnishings at OKW looked a little more dated, but for us that's part of the informal charm of OKW.
I hope that your next trip is a better experience.

We just spent 5 nights in a Grand Villa and other than the upstairs ac not working (which was easily and promptly fixed) we had no issues. It was very clean and well stocked. :goodvibes I am glad you reported it! :thumbsup2

Sorry! I can relate! It sounds just like our first experience at OKW 2 summers ago. We were in a studio that had worn carpeting, holes in a bedspread & a layer of dust around the tile in the bathroom on the top where the bullnoses met the paint & around the base as well...freezer door was broken on the little frig. Outside steps were covered with droppings from the trees & weren't swept off all week. There was just a path to go up the middle where people were walking. I would've thought somebody would hit those at least once over the week we were there.:confused3 NOT the best first impression. DH and I kept saying all week were so-o glad we hadn't brought anyone with us. It would've been so embarrasing. To top the week off the bus service was horrid all week too. We literally waited just over an hour one nite for a bus to the MK. 40 min. was probably our average wait. IF a bus came within 20 min. we felt we were doing good!!:sad2: Hopefully that's not the norm...we just happened to be really lucky that week (and it was our first DVC stay).

I too can relate!! We checked into a studio for our first stay there May 10, the room was filthy covered with dust, the carpet had picks all in it, 3 bathroom floor tiles were broken, counter in the bathroom was cracked, light switch plate was broken, the light fixtures above both beds had spider webs on them, a gatorade bottle was hanging out from under the bed, and many other things. We were shocked!! I called member services and was moved to SSR. We did take many pictures I printed them and sent them to member satisfaction. They called and said sorry and thank you for the letter and the pictures we have been in touch with the resort about these issues.

Gosh, these are surprising to me. We've been members since 1997 and in nearly 30 trips, we've never had a problem that couldn't be fixed immediately and that wasn't fixed immediately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter