OKW Pool questions

marianne

Earning My Ears
I have two teenagers and they love the pool at BW, but our next visit will be at OKW . Can someone direct me to either a good view or describe the big pool to me. I am thinking that it may be similar to the BC but really not sure. Also any comments on dinning will be great . Thanks :smooth:

The big pool at OKW is nothing great. It is just a big pool. It is shaped in a round "T" for the lack of a better description. There is a bridge that goes over the point of the intersection. Your teenagers may not think it is that cool. My DD is 10 and is bored without a slide and lack of theme. If I were you, I'd plan to pool hop if they want to swim lots.

As for eating, your choices are Olivia's and Good's. I have never eaten at Olivia's - too pricey and not our kind of food. Good's is great if you want fast food. They have a great chicken salad croissant, nachos, super burgers, hot dogs, fruit. The food tastes great and is reasonable for Disney.

Have fun!!!

no water sliding board or life guards at OKW pools. since dvc members can pool hop, okw has say it does not need a fancy pool. I like the quiet pools myself - closer to your door and generally less crowded.

We found the pool at OKW to be quite lovely actually. No fancy slides or waterfalls or the like, but definitely pretty. The hot tub was fabulous. The pool hopping that is allowed for DVC members certainly would allow for a fun time at Y&B club in SAB and also the BW too.

We go to OKW with our grandchildren. The oldest, 10 year olds, were satisfied with the pool and enjoyed it. The little ones loved the pool, as well as the large, beach sand area. It is really very pretty....and don't forget the sauna in the "lighthouse', in addition to the large jacuzzi!
June:pinkbounc :pinkbounc :pinkbounc

The main attraction at the main OKW pool is the sauna in the lighthouse. We prefer all the quiet pools. The hot tubs are good sized, and all the pool areas have small playground/sand areas.

The Turtle Pond area pool is quite nice, too.

The main pool is a basic, over-sized pool. The weakest main pool of any of the DVCs. I think that it was just a victum of timing....if OKW were being built now the main pool would have some kind of hook. We pool hopped to the Poly in February and enjoyed their volcano slide. My 4 year old really enjoyed it. We just utilize the quiet pool nearest our building when staying at OKW.

Teenagers won't be thrilled with the OKW main pool nor the quiet pools. They are all pretty much "quiet" and very family oriented. There is no comparison to the pool at BC....although it doesn't get that crowded either!

I agree with bailybrad, if they were to build OKW now, we'd probably have a slide. But being the first...ah well. Being so "quiet" definitely has it's advantages.

It is shaped in a round "T" for the lack of a better description

Actually, I think that it's more of an amoeba shape.:D :D

Seriously though, from what I can recall, sometime within the last couple of years the members were asked about adding a slide. The vote was "no."

My kids have grown up with the OKW pools, and they've always liked them.

Marianne,
I think your teens will be bored with the pool at OKW, and I would plan on pool-hopping.

Can anyone tell me... are the pool hopping privlenges only for DVC Members or is it extended to anyone staying at a DVC Resort? We are not members but are renting a 2 BR villa at OKW in 2 1/2 weeks. Just wondering if I have any choice with my agressive 10 and 13 year old DS's. It sounds as though the OKW pools will hold their attention for all of 10 minutes (although they sound perfect to me!!) :D

Thanks in advance... BUZZ

my DD is only 8 and hates the main pool plan on pool hopping. Contemporary has a nice pool w/ slide

Pool hopping is for members or guests staying with members on points.

QUESTION??????

Pool hopping privileges... only for DVC members or can renters at a DVC resort also pool hop????

Thanks. BUZZ

The book we were sent, only mentions that it is for DVC members. I couldn't find renters mentioned anywhere in our member books. Maybe some renters on the boards could tell you if they were able to pool hop or get any of the other DVC benefits when they rented, or you could ask when you check in. Good luck.

reliable but not first hand information...

when you rent points your room key still says "DVC Member" on it. It will allow you to pool hop.

According to the rules, anyone who pays a member for the use of points is not entitled to the member perks. In reality, as DVCHammer says, you will get a room key/ID that says DVC Member.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter