OKW lovers thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband rented the Mouse Boat for an hour this past weekend @ OKW, for DVC or Annual Pass Holders there was a 15% discount. The cost was $45.00 per half hour, without the discount!!

When we were there this past Christmas we were told by a CM that there were additional discounts for Disney Visa Card holders. However it was not automatic. You had to ask the CM. This discount was in addition to the DVC/AP discounts. I finally broke down and bought a Monorail Playset which was $57 after the discount. The regular price is $72 dollars. Ask! Ask! Ask! about discounts!

I'm with you!!!! Although our snow totals are a little less than yours, but watching the snow fall right now is really getting me in the mood.

I am using the time stuck at home to plan our upcoming trip. I barely notice the almost 4ft of snow on the ground. I wonder if the kids will ever go back to school. They are calling for more Sunday, Monday, Tuesday nights. But just a clipper this time, only a couple inches.

Hoping some of you OKW-lovers can help me out. I'm looking into staying at a 2-bedroom villa at either OKW or SSR for our 3 week stay this fall. While I like the landscaping of OKW, the size and lay-out of the 2-bedroom villa's, the beds on the other hand? Mwah. Am definately not fond of the metal looking bed I find in pictures of the villa's. I've seen pics of studios with wooden bedframes. I know there is a major rehab going on and am wondering if anybody knows if the metal bedframes at the villas might be replaced by wood ones?

I realize rehab wont be complete by the time we'll go to WDW, but am still curious.

Hoping some of you OKW-lovers can help me out. I'm looking into staying at a 2-bedroom villa at either OKW or SSR for our 3 week stay this fall. While I like the landscaping of OKW, the size and lay-out of the 2-bedroom villa's, the beds on the other hand? Mwah. Am definately not fond of the metal looking bed I find in pictures of the villa's. I've seen pics of studios with wooden bedframes. I know there is a major rehab going on and am wondering if anybody knows if the metal bedframes at the villas might be replaced by wood ones?

I realize rehab wont be complete by the time we'll go to WDW, but am still curious.

Seriously? You would choose one location over another because you didn't like the style of the bed FRAME???:confused:

Seriously? You would choose one location over another because you didn't like the style of the bed FRAME???:confused:

Seriously? Perhaps, yes. At this moment both options are a very close tie. Both have pros and cons. When spending 3 weeks in one place, we're pretty cautious of staying somewhere that has a possible con that makes both of us goh 'mwah, really do not like the look of that'. While the interieur of the OKW villas aren't the most appealing in our taste, we cans see through that. The bed on the other hand; jury still isn't out on that one, perhaps might be the preverbial straw.

I know it might seem a small detail for some. In itself; it IS a small detail. For us it is a detail in a total of details that together paint a bigger picture. The picture that'll help in making a decision.

Call me crazy ;) but as our local saying goes 'every nutcase is intitled to their crazy streak'. This is ours. :laughing:

Seriously? Perhaps, yes. At this moment both options are a very close tie. Both have pros and cons. When spending 3 weeks in one place, we're pretty cautious of staying somewhere that has a possible con that makes both of us goh 'mwah, really do not like the look of that'. While the [interieur] of the OKW villas aren't the most appealing in our taste, we cans see through that. The bed on the other hand; jury still isn't out on that one, perhaps might be the [preverbial] straw.

I know it might seem a small detail for some. In itself; it IS a small detail. For us it is a detail in a total of details that together paint a bigger picture. The picture that'll help in making a decision.

Call me crazy ;) but as our local saying goes 'every nutcase is intitled to their crazy streak'. This is ours. :laughing:

Now if you were making that decision based on the comfort or lack thereof for the beds, then I can understand. Frankly, some of the matresses at OKW are a bit like sleeping on a rock. :lmao: I don't like the decor at SSR either, but it isn't the reason I don't stay there.

Now if you were making that decision based on the comfort or lack thereof for the beds, then I can understand. Frankly, some of the matresses at OKW are a bit like sleeping on a rock. :lmao: I don't like the decor at SSR either, but it isn't the reason I don't stay there.

Found out about DVC mistaking rocks for mattrasses at OKW, and it's one of the serious cons on the list. It might sounds silly to a lot of folks, but for us decor is part of the total package of feeling at home somewhere or feeling like crashing somewhere. The latter is no biggie for a short trip but with a long one we are taking the decor into it all as a factor.

I have to say that the decor of OKW compared to SSR there is no comparrision!! SSR, is much more updated and newer. I enjoyed our stay @ OKW, for the size of the 2-Bedroom. But if I were to stay somewhere for 3 weeks. I would choose SSR. There are more food choices in terms of quick-service than @ OKW!! You could always go to OKW to hang out by the pool for a few days.

Last year we stayed @ the BCV, I did enjoy the pool, and the location near EPCOT, and HS, but the rooms also needed to be updated. I even felt this way about the rooms @ Vero Beach in need of updating. I am sure that the eventually SSR rooms will be in need of updating and renovations as well. But there is something to be said to be in a room that is newer.

One more little thing that I found "Gross" @ OKW was the floor. When we were in the room(s), when my kids walked accross the floor in their socks, their socks were completly,, black. I know @ SSR they steam clean the rugs after each guest leaves. I know this because a few times we have checked in and the rug has still been damp and when I inquired with housekeeping, they have confirmed this. Plus, my twin's socks have never been black like @ OKW!!

Also, our shower @ OKW had mold on it. Housekeeping, was VERY Good about coming and cleaning it. But the shower is in need of updating too.

Do not get me wrong there are pors and cons of each resort. I loved the patio with the table and chairs on it. SSR just has two chairs and a VERY small table outside. You can not eat outside @ SSR.

Just some info. to help you make your decission about where to stay. I think either way you will be happy and enjoy your three weeks where-ever you choose to stay!! If you have any other questions please ask!! :) :) :goodvibes:goodvibes

Considering this is the "OKW Lovers Thread" it appears that it has become the "OKW Bashers Thread." To you that bash OKW all I can ask is "Are you sure you've been staying at Disney's OKW? What you describe is not the same OKW that I stay at. The OKW I stay at has rooms that are clean and fresh, no mold in the shower, everything is exactly what I expect for the cash outlay and MFs that I've been paying over the years. I'll grant you the decor is dated. It's supposed to be! Your staying in the Key West of Ernest Hemingway circa 1930 - 1939. I'd be disappointed if it wasn't. In some ways I find it too modern. The only thing missing are Papa Hemingway's cats. I love the ambiance of Old Florida that OKW exudes. As far as the mattresses,-the best night's sleep I've ever had. I didn't think our mattresses at home were bad until I stayed at OKW. I want an OKW mattress for my home! If you want to bash OKW start your own thread for bashing OKW! Don't do it here! This is for OKW Lovers. :mad:

OKW: 7/03, 6/04, 7/05, 6/06, 5/07, 12/07, 5/08, 12/08, 5/09, 12/09

I have to say that the decor of OKW compared to SSR there is no comparrision!! SSR, is much more updated and newer. I enjoyed our stay @ OKW, for the size of the 2-Bedroom. But if I were to stay somewhere for 3 weeks. I would choose SSR. There are more food choices in terms of quick-service than @ OKW!! You could always go to OKW to hang out by the pool for a few days.
Well, to each his own, but I think the OKW decor fits the theme quite well, just as the SSR decor fits the upstate NY theme.
One more little thing that I found "Gross" @ OKW was the floor. When we were in the room(s), when my kids walked accross the floor in their socks, their socks were completly,, black. I know @ SSR they steam clean the rugs after each guest leaves. I know this because a few times we have checked in and the rug has still been damp and when I inquired with housekeeping, they have confirmed this. Plus, my twin's socks have never been black like @ OKW!!
Here again, I KNOW OKW also steams carpets inbetween guests if the housekeeper deems it necessary. Many times I have gone into an OKW living room with carpet still damp. I'm sure there are times when units just need a more thorough rehab, and OKW does that with great regularity.

See highlight responses above. Frankly ALL resorts have units that will be in need of attention here and there. We have stayed at OKW 30 some times, and I can honestly say we have only had one unit that we felt was not up to snuff. I have since learned that a building will often have one housekeeper in charge of it, and if that 1 person isn't the cream of the crop, you might be disappointed in your room.

Seriously? Perhaps, yes. At this moment both options are a very close tie. Both have pros and cons. When spending 3 weeks in one place, we're pretty cautious of staying somewhere that has a possible con that makes both of us goh 'mwah, really do not like the look of that'. While the interieur of the OKW villas aren't the most appealing in our taste, we cans see through that. The bed on the other hand; jury still isn't out on that one, perhaps might be the preverbial straw.

I find that I can get a better grip and leverage with the metal headboard which is a pro. :love: That's why they are in the Master Suite which is another pro. :rolleyes1 and, of course, no splinters! Another pro!

The wooden headboards are in the second bedroom.

No complaints here.

See highlight responses above. Frankly ALL resorts have units that will be in need of attention here and there. We have stayed at OKW 30 some times, and I can honestly say we have only had one unit that we felt was not up to snuff. I have since learned that a building will often have one housekeeper in charge of it, and if that 1 person isn't the cream of the crop, you might be disappointed in your room.

I totally agree with you on this. Even @ SSR there have been times that things were not all right.

The theme and the decorations at the resort are AWESOME. The pools, etc. were all wonderful and being able to sit and eat and look out at the water was wonderful.

I find that I can get a better grip and leverage with the metal headboard which is a pro. :love: That's why they are in the Master Suite which is another pro. :rolleyes1 and, of course, no splinters! Another pro!

The wooden headboards are in the second bedroom.

No complaints here.

Oops! I forgot to mention another pro. The iron bedframes in the Master Suites in OKW also have foot-boards which helps provide traction should it be needed! :love: And that's why we are OKW Lovers!

Oops! I forgot to mention another pro. The iron bedframes in the Master Suites in OKW also have foot-boards which helps provide traction should it be needed! :love: And that's why we are OKW Lovers!

Seriously?!! Ewww.

I lurk on this thread every few days but wanted to add that it has taken a VERY unexpected turn :scared1:

I sure hope I don't see any evidence left behind in any of the rooms you guys have been in :eek:

Oh for Pete's sake, do you guys really think beds in resorts are never used for one of the purposes beds are used for? :rotfl2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter