• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ohana's was horrible

OP I hate that your meal was a disappointment, I have had some not so pleasant meals at 'Ohana in the past, but the last few times have been great.

Ohana's is an annual staple for us. However, this year it was the biggest disappointment. We're not on the dining plan, so we are paying full price for this.

The steak was so tough it couldn't be cut (with our butter knives) nor chewed. It was also undercooked which led to the non ability to cut through the meat. The Chicken on the skewers was undercooked too.
Finally, the shrimp was also undercooked.

I was with people other than my own family, so I didn't make a fuss, but the amount of uneaten food certainly piled up on my plate (and they don't come to give you a new plate or anything). It was very uncomfortable. I'm really grateful that I am not sick this morning.

Disney get's two thumbs down on O'hana's from me. It will NOT be on my list next year.

Whether you are with people or not, if you get served food you aren't happy with, send it back!! Complaining afterwards doesn't get you a good meal. Make sure you tell the waiter right away, or at least when the check is brought.

One visit to Ohana we weren't happy with the steak and I thought the salad was blah. We ended up asking for fresh round of steak (specifically saying we wanted it medium and medium rare). It came back as delicious as our memories. We didn't make a scene or complain, just asked for some more.

With the success of the steak, I decided to ask for another bowl of salad - just to see. It was soooooo good!!!!

So now with Ohana, my rule of thumb will be - if the first batch isn't that good, give it another attempt and ask for a 2nd batch.

We have eaten at Ohana 3 times now...and each time has been as good as we remember (no easy feat). Our last meal there was in Dec 2014 and I am longing to return. We were in Universal for Labor Day weekend and I actually went to the trouble of renting a car, paying for parking, making an ADR - all so I would be able to get to Ohana for dinner. Unfortunately, my husband got sick THAT EVENING and we ended up having to cancel. I was so disappointed. Trying to figure out how to manage another attempt when we return to Universal in February. Texas de Brazil is easier to get to - but our family loves Ohana the most.

When the servers dumps all the food on the table and then disappears it's kind of hard to ask for a second batch. I had to ask 3 times to get peanut sauce and it was finally brought out with dessert. We have been there probably 8 times and the first several were great vsisits. We were on the DP then. The crappy visits started around the time we started using TIW card...wonder if that has anything to do with it (servers know they'll get the 18% tip automatically...maybe we shouldn't tell them we have TIW until the very end).

When the servers dumps all the food on the table and then disappears it's kind of hard to ask for a second batch. I had to ask 3 times to get peanut sauce and it was finally brought out with dessert. We have been there probably 8 times and the first several were great vsisits. We were on the DP then. The crappy visits started around the time we started using TIW card...wonder if that has anything to do with it (servers know they'll get the 18% tip automatically...maybe we shouldn't tell them we have TIW until the very end).

UGH - that's incredibly annoying. I hate it when servers disappear.

As an FYI, read GREAT:thumbsup2 reviews from folks staying at the Poly who have ordered room service at Ohana and said that it was FABULOUS :cheer2:and the portions were HUGE! Apparently they do a GREAT JOB on room service.:thumbsup2 Some have suggested because it is more "made to order" rather than mass production of food.Who knows:confused3.

Oh boy...going there on Tuesday (our first dinner of our trip) and I'm hoping it's a good as it's been in the past because out of all the places that were a must-do for me and my daughter this trip this was in our Top 3! Fingers crossed!!

Never thought of doing the room service, ahh! Great idea. We are there for 3 nights in November. We have dinner booked for 1 night and I'm hoping to get to Tambu Lounge another night for the bread pudding. ;)

Also, our service there last time was off as well. It was just our main server - everyone else was wonderful. Maybe she was just having a bad day. When she came around she dropped off 1 measly piece of steak for each of us, no "I'll bring you more, sorry this skewer ran out" or anything like that. Then when we asked for more as she brought the next meat around, she just said "Yeah, I guess I can get you some" with an attitude. I was pretty put off by it because we always have an excellent experience there.

I was there last Sunday, Sept 6, for about my 4th time. I've had eh experiences there, but it's my sister's fiance's favorite restaurant, so we always return. Last weekend was probably the best meal I've ever had there. The bread was blah, didn't seem fresh, but the potstickers and wings were both delicious. The salad was excellent, which came as a surprise since I'm not the biggest salad person. I don't like shrimp, but I was told they were tasty. The steak and the chicken were both perfect. We asked for medium rare steak, and our server, who was very busy but very sweet, obliged. We were able to cut it with our butter knives, no problem. I only had a few bites of the noodles and one of the vegetables, but I very much enjoyed what I tried.

The only negatives to my meal there was the bread (which honestly, not a big deal due to the overwhelming bounty of other deliciousness) and the fact we were in a hurry to get to the MK for our Mine Train FPs :( wasn't able to enjoy the bread pudding as much as I'd like, it was more of a "eat as we fast as we can, gotta go!" dessert.

As an FYI, read GREAT:thumbsup2 reviews from folks staying at the Poly who have ordered room service at Ohana and said that it was FABULOUS :cheer2:and the portions were HUGE! Apparently they do a GREAT JOB on room service.:thumbsup2 Some have suggested because it is more "made to order" rather than mass production of food.Who knows:confused3.

This is exactly what we did over Labor Day weekend. I was never a huge fan of Ohana but we decided to try the room service meal one night. It was amazing!!! We ordered for 2 adults to feed 2 adults and 2 kids. We had so much leftover food that we had enough for lunch the next day. The steak was a little tough but still tasted very good and everything else was fresh and wonderful.

We just got back last week and thought the same. We mainly had a problem with the meat and chicken they were both tough and undercooked but the bread pudding was amazing as always.
Such a shame, on our first trip in 2012 Ohana was one of our highlights.
I think for our next trip we are just going to the Tamu Lounge to order the wings and bread pudding.

This is exactly what we did over Labor Day weekend. I was never a huge fan of Ohana but we decided to try the room service meal one night. It was amazing!!! We ordered for 2 adults to feed 2 adults and 2 kids. We had so much leftover food that we had enough for lunch the next day. The steak was a little tough but still tasted very good and everything else was fresh and wonderful.

Can you do this on the Dining plan? It'd be nice to share our food with the kids thereby saving kids TS credits when they barely eat at all these meals, and then maybe pay oop for 2 adult meals at another TS one night. Hmm, not sure you can even do that...got to a TS and use 3 kids TS credits and pay oop for the adults on same check...? Anyway thanks for the idea!

Can you do this on the Dining plan? It'd be nice to share our food with the kids thereby saving kids TS credits when they barely eat at all these meals, and then maybe pay oop for 2 adult meals at another TS one night. Hmm, not sure you can even do that...got to a TS and use 3 kids TS credits and pay oop for the adults on same check...? Anyway thanks for the idea!

Although we were not on the dining plan and paid OOP, from my understanding you can order in room dining on the dining plan but each person's order would be 2 TS credits (gratuities are included).

That is disappointing to hear! Speaking of Poly restaurants, have also read a few unfavorable comments about Kona too.:sad2: Have an ADR at Kona for dinner and "rethinking" it.:confused3 Shame, had a great dinner at Kona last December.. A shame whether or not you are on a dining plan. :eek: Prices are NOT CHEAP at either of these restaurants!:scared1:

We ate at Kona last week. The food was great but the service was terrible. Our waiter seemed to have trouble with English, only repeated what the menu said when we had questions, and was incredibly slow. It was the only 15% tip we gave the entire trip.

We ate at Kona last week. The food was great but the service was terrible. Our waiter seemed to have trouble with English, only repeated what the menu said when we had questions, and was incredibly slow. It was the only 15% tip we gave the entire trip.
GOOD to hear that food was great!:thumbsup2::yes::

Ohana has always been a must do every trip and has always been a favorite for us. I have to say that on our last trip in May I noticed a decline in both food quality and service. Our server was very nice but I think he had too much going on. Food didn't come in a timely manner. We waited forever for skewers. I was disappointed but thought perhaps it was just an off night. I hope that they figure it out and fix it before our next trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter