O'hana- Once and for all- NO POTATOES

We were there June 2....first time in over 2 years.
My family loved the dumplings and noodles. I can't eat either because of dietary restrictions (would be the same with the potatoes). I think they liked these better than they would have potatoes.
I still love the salad....so as long as that stays, I am good.
We love the bread pudding......never had the pineapple and been going since '06 or so.
But the bread pudding and banana foster sauce can stay!!

If I have a very picky 5 year old and he doesn't want the family style offerings, can I order him something from a child's menu or is there one?

We went to Ohana's in May and I loved it, now I have never been before but I loved it. Def going back. Loved the dipping sause with the meat and the dessert!

Wow, this is disappointing. I ADORED those potatoes!

So they went from the rice that we loved to the potatoes that we loved to the noodles that we hate?

Doesn't make sense. But yet, 'Ohana is one of the most popular restaurants so guess they can get away with doing whatever they want and people will still book.

If I have a very picky 5 year old and he doesn't want the family style offerings, can I order him something from a child's menu or is there one?

Yes, you can order something off the kids menu from nearby Kona Cafe for your child or even order one of those uncrustable pb&j "sandwiches."

1) People have to understand.
2) And they just do not want to.
3) The greed of people on DDP is spoiling menu items.
4) Folks want to eat the most expensive items they can.
5) The potatoes and pineapple chunks cost more.
6) They are more labor intensive than the substitutes.
7) WDW has to save money where it can.
8) And, this is just one good way to do so.

1) People have to understand.
2) And they just do not want to.
3) The greed of people on DDP is spoiling menu items.
4) Folks want to eat the most expensive items they can.
5) The potatoes and pineapple chunks cost more.
6) They are more labor intensive than the substitutes.
7) WDW has to save money where it can.
8) And, this is just one good way to do so.

Totally agree with ya!

I'm getting really annoyed lately. Almost wish Disney would just scrap the whole dining plan. Seeing all these thread titles with "How do I maximize the plan" and "Help me work the plan" is just making me want to pull my hair out.

Just eat what you want people and stop worrying about getting the most out of Disney! How the heck can that be enjoyable????

I will miss those potatoes! They were so yummy! We are going to try for breafast there this trip, never done that before.

Totally agree with ya!

I'm getting really annoyed lately. Almost wish Disney would just scrap the whole dining plan. Seeing all these thread titles with "How do I maximize the plan" and "Help me work the plan" is just making me want to pull my hair out.

Just eat what you want people and stop worrying about getting the most out of Disney! How the heck can that be enjoyable????

I ABSOLUTELY wish they would scrap the dining plan, or at least go back to the way it was before (something that only people who wanted to blow a lot of cash would get). The menus at all the WDW restaurants were SO much better. There has been a major change in the quality at 'Ohana from the early 2000's to now.

However, I do not blame DDP guests for trying to "maximize the DDP". Disney set the rules, so it is on them. But the DDP will probably not change anytime soon, because it is quite profitable for Disney, especially given the standardization and "dumming down" of the menus.

I believe the menu standardization would have happened anyway, dining plan or no dining plan - that is the new business model for the Walt Disney Corporation. Disneyland is also standardizing menus and they do not have a comparable dining plan.

However, I think the popularity of the WDW dining plan does influence the ingredients used in the restaurants.

....especially given the standardization and "dumming down" of the menus.

True statement but I would not call it dumbing down more like standardization of the menu. In other words finding out what sells and what doesn’t then make your menu adjustments. Every restaurant does this, and I am sure the DDP had a lot to do in the in the refinement, but this happens in every restaurant that stays open….

The potatoes are more expensive, and more labor intensive. The bottom line is that this place still books up, so why would they bring it back?

The potatoes are more expensive, and more labor intensive. The bottom line is that this place still books up, so why would they bring it back?

1) Yup.
2) People DO NOT care for food quality.
3) Just eating as much as they can.
4) If they did, they wouldn't patronize some of the WDW eateries.
5) That is why we eat at ONLY five different WDW restaurants.
6) And, only two of them are Disney-owned.

Well, we decided to cancel our 'Ohana ADR. The last time we were there (several years ago) we were very disappointed. I just don't want to spend that much money (plus the holiday surcharge) and be disappointed again. Instead, we've booked Kona. We love it and have never been disappointed there.

we ate there last night and everyone in our party of 8 LOVED it!!!

we had a great dinner, loved the noodles, didn't taste sweet to me at all, really tasty. I'm not big on bread pudding, but thought it was pretty good at Ohana.

they didn't do the coconut races, but did do the limbo

I'm with you. Mind you, I'd not been before our trip last week so I don't know anything 'bout the potatoes, but I'm not a big scalloped potato fan anyway. We enjoyed the noodles, the broccoli (and couple of snow peas) was tasty enough - at least it seemed fresh. And I'm not a big fan of bread pudding either, but I liked the desert at 'Ohana well enough (to tell the truth, I was so full by the time it came that I didn't really do it justice).

We did have coconut races, but they were happening just as we got there so our kids didn't have a chance to participate; but they did the limbo and hula lessons.

We really enjoyed our evening here...the Lapu Lapu helped tremendously, of course.

Tacie

I was so glad that they got rid of the potatoes, they were horrible! I do miss the pineapple and don't much care for the bread pudding but eh what are you gonna do? In all honesty I mainly eat there for the skewers of meat and the Honey Coriander wings so as long as they stay I'll always go back!

We went to Ohana last year and going back this year-We leave in 10 days!!!We love this restaurant-the noodles, the broccoli and the wontons, which I mistakenly called, raviolis and they quickly, yet politley, corrected me!
I hope they do the races, though, I will no only have my kids but my nieces as well.

I will miss those potatoes! They were so yummy! We are going to try for breafast there this trip, never done that before.

the potatoes are really easy to make at home!
just slice the potatos really thin on a slider grater.

2lbs of potato 'recipe' fits in a 9x13 pan.
Ingredients

1 pound Russet potatoes (washed and sliced)
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup cheddar cheese
2 tbsp parmesan cheese
1/4 cup thinly sliced sweet onions
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a greased baking pan. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Let stand five minutes before serving

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter