O'hana- Once and for all- NO POTATOES

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by m&m's mom, Jun 13, 2009.

1. m&m's mom

m&m's mom <font color=deeppink>Waiting for the waterless cru

We ate there Wed night and I asked about the potatoes. They said they recieve complaints every day and it makes no difference- they are gone for good.
    Also, the "stir fried" veggies were just steamed broccolli. :confused3
    But, the part that made up our mind to not come back was the dessert. We do not like pineapple bread pudding. Last year they brought us cut up pineapple and a side of the yummy caramel sauce for the pudding. This time when we requested the same thing we were told the charge was $5.99 extra!!! Even after I explained I wanted this in place of the dessert and not in addition it did not make a difference. They told me they started charging since so many people wanted just the pineapple. I said "Well.............if everyone wants the pineapple, why not put it back to the pineapple you used to serve?" He said that was not going to happen.
    BTW- the serving of pineapple was not more than a cup and a cut up pineapple.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. LUVDZNY2008

LUVDZNY2008 DIS Veteran

I was disappointed in the side dishes when I ate there last summer, and I also preferred the pineapple for dessert.:confused3

4. MHSweb79

MHSweb79 DIS Veteran

I couldn't get 'Ohana for my anniversary but I got Kona. I had planned to keep calling to try for 'Ohana but now I think I'll just stick with what I have.

It's a real head-scratcher. Why not offer the pineapple if that's what everyone wants? It's much easier to prepare than bread pudding too. :confused3

5. chell

chell <font color=red>Mushu's <font color=blue>Best <fon

The potatoes were awesome. The noodles suck. What are they thinking?

The pineapple would be a much more cost effective option. Goodness. Glad you spoke up! Way to go!!!

6. frannn

frannn <font color=blue>please stop the madnesssss alread

We had dumplings in '08, and they were better than the wonton chips. What are they serving now?

7. livie1205

livie1205 DIS Veteran

not everyone wants the pineapple back...we love the bread pudding.:worship: I will go to ohana every trip and never get tired of it! lol i guess with everyone not going because of the noodles it should be not as hard to get a ADR ;)

8. chell

chell <font color=red>Mushu's <font color=blue>Best <fon

We had the dumplings last December and they were awesome! I would like to have some of those right now.

I'm hungry now...

9. irunnoft

irunnoft I'm What Willis Was Talkin' 'Bout!!!!

Ok, so no potatoes. Thanks, by the way, for the update. Are they serving noodles still or were they gone, too? I'd also like to know whether the dumplings were there or not, too. TIA.

10. a1tinkfans

a1tinkfans Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

Dumplings, say YES please :rotfl2:

YUMMY and I too LOVED the pudding!

11. DisneyWisher

DisneyWisher DIS Veteran

I prefer the pineapple and caramel. DD25 is latose intolerate, I wonder if they would give her the pineapple and caramel (actually if we had to pay, we would) and we are also on the Dining plan. So bring both if I have to pay the additional amount. I haven't been back to 'Ohana in 3 yrs and before that was before the menu change in '05. Prior to that we would go 2-4 times a year. So yeah they pretty much lost us with the menu change. But giving it a go this next trip. I liked the rice and the pineapple so much better. But truthfully I am going for the turkey, steak, salad (love the lime dressing) and the chicken wings. Oh yeah and the Lapu Lapu hehe

12. m&m's mom

m&m's mom <font color=deeppink>Waiting for the waterless cru

Dumplings although none of us ate them.
    My 9 yo DD was so disappointed they did not do the coconut races but they said they still do so not sure why they did not when we were there.

13. Condorman

Condorman & Laser Lady

Everyone knows the potatoes are gone for good.

The only reason it's still an ongoing question/debate/hopeful expectation is due to Allears.net. Admittedly, they do have the best and most up-to-date collection of WDW menus on the net, but for whatever reason they refuse to just get rid of any mention of the potatoes on the Ohana webpage. Their quote:

"The Shrimp and Scalloped Potatoes seem to come on and off the menu, so don't count on either."

No, Allears. They're not coming on and off. They're off, and they have been for a long time. Just erase that line. Yet they don't, and so the debate continues.

14. TDC Nala

TDC Nala 1937, what a year that was

I'd prefer the bread pudding to the pineapple. That stuff is awesome. So not everybody wants the pineapple. For a medical condition that precludes the bread pudding they will give an alternate dessert but it's not known whether or not it will be the pineapple.

I'm betting the potatoes are gone because they were loaded with trans fats and Disney is getting rid of those. I would love to try the noodles. Scalloped potatoes (and yes I have eaten them at Ohana) do not turn me on.

15. Snurk71

Snurk71 DIS Veteran

I second! I also think this is the reason - the Disney diet police outlawed those yummy tasting fats that a lot of us would splurge on while on vacation.

16. jcemom

jcemom Official Tag Fairy Assistant

We preferred the potatoes, but we like the noodes too, just not as much.

We LOVE the bread pudding, and I don't normally even like bread pudding. I crave that stuff, it's so good! I can cut up a pineapple at home, so I'd rather have the bread pudding as my dessert at 'Ohana.

We don't like the new version of their vegetables at all. The green beans were good, nothing after that has even been touched at our table. This time I'm going to tell them to not even bother bringing the veggies. They'll just be wasted.

17. orangecats2

orangecats2 All I want is Disney, Crocs and Vera Bradley

Love the bread pudding. Hate the noodles! I mean come on, sweet noodles? :confused3 YUCK!

18. tyandbash

tyandbash Mouseketeer

They don't do the coconut races anymore?

19. rapriebe

rapriebe <marquee behavior=alternate><font color=darkorchid

Yeap, we are the same. Love, love, love the bread pudding with the sauce. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2 BUT the noodles were greasey and tasteless. I usually love any kind of noodles but not those. The potatoes were awesome and I sure do miss them. I've got the recipe so will try to make them at home.

20. trappednabox

trappednabox <font color=006600>Frogs are our friends...<br><fo

we ate there last night and everyone in our party of 8 LOVED it!!!

we had a great dinner, loved the noodles, didn't taste sweet to me at all, really tasty. I'm not big on bread pudding, but thought it was pretty good at Ohana.

they didn't do the coconut races, but did do the limbo

I have pix from last nights dinner, but have to load them into photobucket 1st. Will post later:thumbsup2

21. Sandy321

Sandy321 <font color=darkorchid>Crazy enough to want to do

what do they do with the pinapple inside of the Lapu Lapu drinks? (is it used for the bread they make?)

Here - in Chicago area - grocery stores are selling a whole pineapple for $1.87 - so why doesnt Ohana put pineapple in season as a choice? :confused3

How hard is it to offer a choice of dessert? seriously? I know they wont do it - its just strange to me - but then I dont have to deal with cooperate and bottom dollars...