Ohana menu changes

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by nemmie, Jan 8, 2013.

1. TDC Nala

TDC Nala <font color=red>1937, what a year that was<br><fon Moderator

You would have had this concern before, because they have always served peanut sauce.

Does anyone actually know if they will offer an alternate sauce for allergies, or is it being assumed that they will not?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. cajunprincess

cajunprincess DIS Veteran

When we go to 'ohanas, we just tell them to bring out the other sauces but leave off the peanut sauce. I don't find not being able to use the sauce necessarily a deal breaker, but I do find it a little inconsiderate since it is one of the most popular allergens. I personally like having sauce for my meat. Can I do without? Sure, but I also haven't had to when I was there. I guess I see it the same as some people having to have ketchup with any kind of meat. Some people will not want to eat at certain places if they have to do without.
    It's just personal preference.

4. wdwpirates

wdwpirates Don't lose ya soul cuz it's all ya got. - DH

I'm excited for the changes. We won't be there until March so we might not get to experience them. The salad and veggies sound great. I always thought the broccoli needed to be swapped for something else. I love the peanut sauce, too!!

5. cajunprincess

cajunprincess DIS Veteran

I guess it's being assume right now. WDW usually does a great job accommodating allergies, so I wonder if they will have a back up plan for those with allergies to the sauce? I understand sometimes it's simply avoiding the sauce, but I wonder since you use it on so many things if they will have a separate solution for this. So this could potentially affect several groups. I'm just anxious to see what they decide after the trial period. Even then, I will probably still give it a go and see what I think. I don't want to pass unfair judgment if all would still be great (and I don't want my family to miss out on their favorite place)!

6. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

The noodles are teriyaki noodles so they already have a sauce on them.

And there is still broccoli in the stir fry vegetables.

7. jalaine

jalaine Mouseketeer

I think people are talking about the *separate* dish of peanut sauce that got served alongside the food. The noodles won't be plain, they're in a teriyaki type sauce I believe. The noodles were never covered in a peanut sauce I don't think :)

8. North of Mouse

North of Mouse DIS Veteran

Nothing will have changed as far as your concerns about people touching handles, etc. It's always been the most "popular" sauce, so why would it be any different to you now? Maybe you just didn't enjoy it as much anyway, because your reasons are the same as before.

9. Missyrose

Missyrose DIS Veteran

Does anyone know if they still drizzle the sweet and sour sauce on the potstickers?

10. fbb

fbb DIS Veteran

I always come into the 'Ohana menu change thread like a kid on Christmas morning, hoping to see the potatoes back.

:eeyore:

11. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Yes, they were drizzled with sweet and sour sauce last Sunday.

12. Missyrose

Missyrose DIS Veteran

Thanks Deb. That's weird that they still have that sauce as an option, but they won't bring you a small bowl of it if you request it? :confused3

13. emmababy

emmababy DIS Veteran

That makes zero sense! Guess I will ask for extra potsticker sauce!

14. Buckeye218

Buckeye218 DVC Member since 2004

It sounds to me as though they are trying to make the menu a little more authentic...while also containing costs and reducing waste. While not all of the changes appeal to me personally, I think sounds like a great improvement overall.

So many people complain that Disney is homogenizing their menus resort-wide; it just seems refreshing to me that they are making an attempt to make this a more genuine Pan-Asian dining experience.

If costs are a concern, perhaps they could have some bottled sauces available upon request for those that can't have or don't like the peanut sauce.

I hope the changes are permanent and look forward to my next ADR at 'Ohana.

15. Sparkly

Sparkly Starlight, starbright...

I actually think this sounds great. The stir fry style vegtables sound very tasty, as does the salad. Probably won't use much sauce, so indifferent.

Still looking forward to our 'Ohana ADR.

16. softballmom3

softballmom3 DIS Veteran

At first I was worried until I read what had changed. To be honest, sounds good to me :). I love mango and papaya! We are going for our 20th anniversary meal!

17. kbuck

kbuck Mouseketeer

Just wondering if anyone has eaten there this week. Are they still testing out new changes?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

18. phorsenuf

phorsenuf Not so New Rule author

I happen to love mango and papaya, even though I complained earlier in the thread. I can't eat pineapple and generally if you can't have that then chances are papaya and mango will be the same way. Don't really want to find out the hard way on vacation. ;)

19. staceycanada

staceycanada Mouseketeer

Call the restaurant directly and speak with someone about your food concerns. They are very accomidating for food allergies and intolerances.

20. Mic2129

Mic2129 Earning My Ears

anyone know what the menu is looking like?

21. RapunzelsBFF

RapunzelsBFF Earning My Ears

I can have pineapple and papaya but am allergic to mango, so maybe you are special like me and you might be able to enjoy the papaya and mango but hold the pineapple :thumbsup2