OH NO not another crazy Fad for my kids!

LOL - my SIL brought some for my kids from Virginia, not knowing they've almost over them here in NJ.

Does anyone have a picture of what the Disney ones look like? I may have to look for those!

I thought by now in my part of the world they would be loosing interest. A yr later DD9 is still into Silly Bandz. I don't mind because they were cheap Christmas Stocking stuffers and Easter Basket goodies.

I find Amazon to sell them the cheapest if you have prime.

my mama bought my dd11 some for her easter basket. I thought she was crazy for paying 3.00 for them. I did not know that they were a fab. I don't think my dd knows because she said that she wanted to take them back. lol I bought some hello kitty ones for $1 at claries about 2 years ago but they are smaller.

I have not seen them here in MA yet. Neither has my DD13. Hopefully the fad will pass before it even starts here. :rolleyes1

They just hit the Boston area a few weeks ago - so, watch out! In my area they are carried by The Paper Store and Party Needs. DD13 bought a set of the Rock Music ones and gave or traded away most of them for the crappy ones other kids didn't want. I tried to tell her to think of the bands as Disney pins and learn to negotiate!

hahha, this thread is cracking me up, because my DD has just discovered SILLYBANDZ. Just 2 days ago we were on a mad hunt for these darn things! We went to the CVS close to our house, and the lady there said they sold out the first day they got them. We went to Meijer, Toys R Us, no luck. BTW, the Toys R US lady did tell us "We have Mighty Beans, though". :laughing: DD (or I) doesn't know what those are yet, but I guess we know where they are when she "discovers" them! We finally found some SILLYBANDZ at another CVS, but they only had the dinosaur shaped ones, which DD wasn't crazy about. She decided they were better than nothing, though.

Just let me say that I'm not usually the one who goes on an all-out manhunt for the lastest trend. AT ALL! But we are on spring break this week and I had told DD we would go out to lunch that day. We got to go to the place I picked if I agreed to find SILLYBANDZ afterward. :laughing: I did have a yummy lunch, so it was worth it. ;)

I am guilty of getting the fad started at DD's school in Texas. Justice only had the farm and zoo animals, but we got both. The other kids loved them and wanted them. I put them in Easter eggs for the neighborhood egg hunt and that means our school now has them on wrists from grades K-5. :lmao: DD will wear 12 at once. Her wrists are teeny tiny and they are some of the few that fit.

They hit our school about the end of Feb/early March. All ages are wearign them, from K to HS. I know they were just starting in this area about Dec b/c the local upscale resale shop had xmas ones as leftovers in Feb. Now they can't keep them in stock.

5 below sells them for 2.00 a pack (knock offs) and they don'tseem to break as easily as the real ones.

I did order some from a website
http://www.asseenontvguys.com/index.asp?txtSearch=silly+bands&PageAction=PRODSEARCH
that has free shipping and kept me from having to run all over town!

The letters pack were really cute and very tradeable.

I would love to find disney ones though!!

IN Northern NJ the trend is still pretty strong. mainly depends on the age of the kids.

the funny thing is that i found these at the Container store about 4 years ago. i thought they were so cute 24 for $5 and bought a pack for my coworkers. they were just cute to decorate my computer screen with and i think it's funny that they are now such a huge fad.

i liken this fad to the plastic charm bracelets that i coveted as a girl of the mid 80s.

lara

From what I see in your profile, your from Long Island right?

I think there are pocket areas (Fairfax County, VA, Long Island NY, Southern California) from what I knwo from my cousin who grew up on LI, growing up in Fairfax and my cousins growing up in LA area adn now living here, they are all very similar with these types of things but I don't think it is the norm for that age.

But in Fairfax County, these were more high school things than elem. school. Elem. was still Abercrombie, Limited Too, AE, etc. not the name brand things that IMO, no child in elem. school should own. Even 7th grade I think is pushing it.

I am in Long Island & that is the way it is. Little girls wearing Juicy, Coach bags etc. I bought my dd7 Silly Bandz when I saw them here and figured I would beat the rush before they became popular here, but still no one but her has ever heard of them.

I am in Long Island & that is the way it is. Little girls wearing Juicy, Coach bags etc. I bought my dd7 Silly Bandz when I saw them here and figured I would beat the rush before they became popular here, but still no one but her has ever heard of them.

Wow - I live in NJ, 8 miles from NYC, and they've been here all of the school year!

Are there Disney ones? Or do you mean the Princess pack? Seems like that would be a copyright issue. There's no Disney on their website.

Wow - I live in NJ, 8 miles from NYC, and they've been here all of the school year!

We live in Queens, NYC, and I haven't seen or heard anything about them yet. Guess they didn't make it across the river yet :)

Helen

It's only another crazy fad if you go to 4 Walgreens looking for them. No thanks.

Denise in MI

You can get them at the grocery store, Hallmarks, Mall Kiosks also. My 4yo son is obsessed with them.

You can get them from Amazon.com also

From what I see in your profile, your from Long Island right?

I think there are pocket areas (Fairfax County, VA, Long Island NY, Southern California) from what I knwo from my cousin who grew up on LI, growing up in Fairfax and my cousins growing up in LA area adn now living here, they are all very similar with these types of things but I don't think it is the norm for that age.

But in Fairfax County, these were more high school things than elem. school. Elem. was still Abercrombie, Limited Too, AE, etc. not the name brand things that IMO, no child in elem. school should own. Even 7th grade I think is pushing it.

still totally OT, but i have a friend w/four girls in omaha, nebraska, who homeschools and her girls are as into the styles/designers as my daughter at the same age or younger... of course, they could be the exception to the rule...

where on long island are you? i'm east of riverhead... that might have something to do with it?

i saw them yesterday for the first time... my kids had seen them but not up close & personal nor had they asked for any before yesterday...

where on long island are you? i'm east of riverhead... that might have something to do with it?

i saw them yesterday for the first time... my kids had seen them but not up close & personal nor had they asked for any before yesterday...

We live in Setauket/Pt Jeff area. We got them at Justice but none of her friends knew what they were. My parents live in East Quogue and none of the kids in their community have them either.

We were at Walgreens today. The bandz there are not true silly bandz. My DD said these are fakes. I just laughed, fake rubber bands!?!? This is crazy! :rotfl2:

I haven't read the entire thread, but, I'm a teacher in a middle school in NY and I have to say OMG these things are everywhere! Boys and girls alike. They have princess packs and animal packs and the ones that look like ipods and dinosaurs . . . . I could go on forever, lol. It takes me back to the days when I was in elementary school and eveyone had those snap bracelets!

I don't mind them. I think they're cute actually! My homeroom each morning comes in and shows me the new ones they've traded, almost on a daily basis. :rotfl:

ETA: I see so many fellow Long Islanders here!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter