• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Oh look. Something else to be offended by.

I know I'm going to get eaten alive for this, but I just can't help myself...

Yes, it's just a shirt and yes nobody has to buy it, but I do understand people "taking a stand" in an attempt to get the retailer to maybe make different choices in the future.

This one shirt isn't likely to do much but it's just one of many many messages on a daily basis that a thrown at women and, more importantly, young girls that show they aren't equal in society.

Women still make less on the dollar than men, politicians are still trying to legislate women's bodies, the glass ceilings is alive and well. Not to mention the constant hyper sexualization of women; do commercials really need a woman in a bikini shoving a huge hamburger in her mouth to sell food (I'm looking at you, Hardee's)? Gender (and racial for that matter) equality have really not come as far as we like to think in this country.

Women hold just 24% of the STEM jobs in this country (and when you have one, it's very obvious how few women are in the field). Study after study has shown that women aren't less inherently good in math and sciences.

Not too long ago another company had a shirt for girls that read "I'm too pretty to do homework so my brother does it for me." I'm pretty sure there was a thread on the Dis about how dumb it was to be offended by this "just" a shirt. True that this or any other shirt isn't going to decide anybody's future. However, these represent just one of the many many messages young girls receive that society values their looks over their intelligence and that girls are pretty and boys are smart.

Yes, it's just a shirt and yes nobody has to buy it, but I do understand people "taking a stand" in an attempt to get the retailer to maybe make different choices in the future.

This one shirt isn't likely to do much but it's just one of many many messages on a daily basis that a thrown at women and, more importantly, young girls that show they aren't equal in society.

Women still make less on the dollar than men, politicians are still trying to legislate women's bodies, the glass ceilings is alive and well. Not to mention the constant hyper sexualization of women; do commercials really need a woman in a bikini shoving a huge hamburger in her mouth to sell food (I'm looking at you, Hardee's)? Gender (and racial for that matter) equality have really not come as far as we like to think in this country.

Women hold just 24% of the STEM jobs in this country (and when you have one, it's very obvious how few women are in the field). Study after study has shown that women aren't less inherently good in math and sciences.

Not too long ago another company had a shirt for girls that read "I'm too pretty to do homework so my brother does it for me." I'm pretty sure there was a thread on the Dis about how dumb it was to be offended by this "just" a shirt. True that this or any other shirt isn't going to decide anybody's future. However, these represent just one of the many many messages young girls receive that society values their looks over their intelligence and that girls are pretty and boys are smart.
I totally get what your saying.

I'm not going to raise a stink though, I do get some do. It's their hill to die on, not mine. With that said, if DD were to ask for a shirt l would probably tell her no and explain why(it would probably wound a lot like what you've said here).

And sometimes it is just a shirt.

We can argue that it's "just a shirt" all we want, which is fine - to each their own, and as a PP mentioned, I'll vote with my pocketbook. But, I can't help but wonder if the tables were turned and this TROPHY shirt were in the men's department, if it would have such an effect? I think the point of the 'outrage' is that it objectifies women, as if they are nothing more than an object to claim. Therein lies the problem. And the argument that "Well, it just says TROPHY, not TROPHY WIFE, so it's unisex!" - well, do you see it for sale in the men's department? No, it's for sale in the women's department, right next to the shirts that say "Bride" and other wedding-type items in that vein.

Look, I really don't have a dog in this fight, I'm not one to get easily offended, and I haven't bought clothes at Target (besides workout clothes, their Champion line is awesome) in years. But, I'm also not going to ignore what this shirt implies by claiming that everyone gets offended too easily, either. (Note: I think it's absurd that someone went so far as to start a Change.org petition about this - they could have just as easily gone on Reddit or other social media to get their point across. That seemed like an unneccessary, forceful stunt, IMHO.)

In the end, as women we have choices. We can choose not to buy a shirt if the message offends us.
My problem, well not really a problem because I truly don't care one way or another, is that maybe instead of these "protesters" trying to take a stand against the retailer, they use some of that energy to empower the very women they claim should be offended by a stupid T shirt.

Honestly, I work in the schools, and I see just the opposite. It's the boys who think they can't do well in school. It's the boys (including my own son) who tell me it's always the girls who get the best grades. I'm afraid our society is trying so hard to correct a perceived problem that boys do better in math - which you just said studies show is false - that they're going too far the other way.

The same thing goes for TV and movies. I've lost count of the number of times DS has complained to me that "the girls always win" against the boys or that the boys/men are portrayed as dumb. I think we're trying so hard to boost the self-esteem of girls that we're chipping away at the self-esteem of boys. The real solution isn't banning t-shirts. It's teaching all children that they can be proud of themselves without putting someone else down.

The word "trophy" on a t-shirt means whatever the buyer wants it to mean. If the wearer thinks she's a trophy because she's pretty, let her enjoy feeling pretty. If the wearer thinks she's a trophy because she's smart, let her enjoy feeling smart. And if the potential buyer doesn't like either of those ideas, let her not buy it.

We, as parents, need to stop worrying about sanitizing what messages our children see, and concentrate on teaching them how to filter and interpret those messages for themselves - to think critically and make their own decisions, not because of what someone else thinks, but in spite of it.

I wouldn't say that I'm "offended" because it really takes a lot for me to get to that point, but having a 13-year old daughter who can no longer shop in the kids' department makes it so we have to visit the junior (if they have one) or misses departments. I think more of a problem exists if a teenager somehow gets their hands on these kinds of shirts. I realize it's the decision of the parents to buy these things, but not all parents make the best decisions ever. It reminds me of shirts like the one mentioned in this article: http://www.goodenoughmother.com/2013/09/the-gem-debate-is-this-a-fashion-statement-or-a-faux-pas/

I think it's pretty harmless if a new bride wears this shirt to her wedding reception or something along those lines.

Honestly, I work in the schools, and I see just the opposite. It's the boys who think they can't do well in school. It's the boys (including my own son) who tell me it's always the girls who get the best grades. I'm afraid our society is trying so hard to correct a perceived problem that boys do better in math - which you just said studies show is false - that they're going too far the other way.

The same thing goes for TV and movies. I've lost count of the number of times DS has complained to me that "the girls always win" against the boys or that the boys/men are portrayed as dumb. I think we're trying so hard to boost the self-esteem of girls that we're chipping away at the self-esteem of boys. The real solution isn't banning t-shirts. It's teaching all children that they can be proud of themselves without putting someone else down.

The word "trophy" on a t-shirt means whatever the buyer wants it to mean. If the wearer thinks she's a trophy because she's pretty, let her enjoy feeling pretty. If the wearer thinks she's a trophy because she's smart, let her enjoy feeling smart. And if the potential buyer doesn't like either of those ideas, let her not buy it.

We, as parents, need to stop worrying about sanitizing what messages our children see, and concentrate on teaching them how to filter and interpret those messages for themselves - to think critically and make their own decisions, not because of what someone else thinks, but in spite of it.

I don't disagree that everybody should learn and think about how to filter those messages. Unfortunately human nature is such that we can only filter so much and despite best attempts these societal messages do sink in to varying degrees.

I don't think it's about "sanitizing" messages, but rather about society examining the messages we are in fact sending.

I don't have kids and have not been in school for awhile so I can't speak to the pendulum swing in that arena.

As for the adult world many people have the perception that we've gone so far the other way and men have no chance and I hear this a lot. The facts:earning figures, percentage of males/females in top ranking jobs (both private and public) and our overall take on advertising in America say otherwise.

I was thinking about getting a t-shirt like Sam Elliott's character wore in Mask. Should I reconsider? :rolleyes1 :confused:

I can see that this might seem demeaning to some people but I find that a person or business being allowed to express themselves in peace is way more important. I don't feel like I have the right to tell a retailer what to sell or an individual what to wear. Of course there are always extremes but this doesn't fall into that category IMO.

This thread reminds me of the t-shirt the Lindsay character would sometimes wear in Arrested Development. I don't want to risk posting a pictue, just in case it would offend someone.

I remember there was a guy at my high school who was sent home because of his t-shirt. I might get away with giving hints about why, but again don't want to risk it.

(I'm on double-secret probation for something I previously posted. I'm still not sure exactly why, but I think it was because of an unintented double entendre.)

Last edited:
Whew!! I thought many I was the only one or I was having a brain hemorrhage ( sorry if I offend all hemorrhage victims you can boycott me)
I'm not offended. I'm hurt by your cruelty. My injury was a shearing injury to my brain which is a hemorrhage. Please have a little tact. If you think I'm pathetic, or overly-sensitive, that is fine. You've already bashed me twice, three times is more than enough. Please have some respect.

100 'likes' for Plano's post #75 above!

And, yes, it is, after all, just a shirt.

All this 'protesting' and playing the gender card, race card, 'whatever is PC that day' card, is ridiculous.
It is a huge issue for me when there are those who think they should control the rights and personal freedoms that we have in this country.

I might have a negative opinion of the shirt...
I might have a negative opinion of a girl/woman who would be wearing the shirt.
And, I would have a right to that opinion.
Doesn't make me a hater or guilty of 'name-calling'. (as others seem to be accusing)

It is just a word...
Freedom of speech...
Like the person who said, I might not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend your right to say it.

100 'likes' for Plano's post #75 above!

And, yes, it is, after all, just a shirt.

All this 'protesting' and playing the gender card, race card, 'whatever is PC that day' card, is ridiculous.
It is a huge issue for me when there are those who think they should control the rights and personal freedoms that we have in this country.

I might have a negative opinion of the shirt...
I might have a negative opinion of a girl/woman who would be wearing the shirt.
And, I would have a right to that opinion.
Doesn't make me a hater or guilty of 'name-calling'. (as others seem to be accusing)

It is just a word...
Freedom of speech...
Like the person who said, I might not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend your right to say it.

100 "likes" for this.

LOL! I just showed the shirt to my DD18 and she thought it was great. She said, "I would wear that!" People just look for stuff to be ffended by. Get a life, if you don't like it don't buy it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter