Oh look. Something else to be offended by.

phorsenuf

Not so New Rule author
This is just so ridiculous! I'm so tired of it all. Guess we should all just walk around in plain white t-****s. Is there anything that doesn't get people's panties in a wad anymore? :sad2:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/money/targets-trophy-shirt-draws-sexism-claims/ar-AAdhFK9

Target is facing intense backlash online for one of their t-shirts.

A t-shirt being sold in stores and online in the women's juniors section emblazoned with the word "Trophy" has drawn cries of sexism from shoppers on social media. Many are claiming that the shirt perpetuates rape culture by designating women as objects to be won.

A woman has launched a Change.org petition asking Target to remove the shirt entirely.

The petition states that the t-shirt perpetuates rape culture by suggesting "that women are merely objects, not humans, to be used for men's pleasure."

"The word trophy should not refer to any person, man or woman, because we are not THINGS- we are human beings," It continues. "Labeling any person as a 'Trophy' is demeaning their humanity and objectifying them as a tangible object that can be bought, used, and disposed of."

Target representative Molly Snyder sent the following statement to USA TODAY about the shirt:

“It is never our intention to offend anyone and we always appreciate receiving feedback from our guests. The shirt you’re describing is part of a collection of engagement and wedding shirts that are available in our women’s and plus size departments. The collection also included shirts that say 'Team Bride,' 'Mrs.' and 'Bride.' These shirts are intended as a fun wink and we have received an overwhelmingly positive response from our guests."

CHfd_t5WgAEST3n.jpg

Last edited:

You can be as offenses as you want but it doesn't mean you're entitled to more than simply being offended.

I saw this on the news this morning as well. I actually think it is funny and something you could have fun with.

I do not believe the shirt itself is anyway offensive or derogatory and have seen plenty of other t-shirts that are questionable that people wear all the time.

It's ridiculous. If a person finds something offensive, then they don't have to buy it or wear it. I think some people like to force their views on the rest of the world. I don't find that T-shirt offensive.

It seems inefficient to start a petition over this. Those shirts are incredibly lame anyway. Why get worked up over such inane products? I'm gonna guess these won't be selling like crazy anyway.

You know what I'm buying it. I am his trophy I may not be 30, thin & dumb as dirt but he always says I am the best thing to happen to him

So I am his trophy!!

I was thinking the same thing. I am the opposite of a trophy wife but in my husbands eyes I am perfect and that's all that matters. He would love me to wear that shirt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter