Official WDW Marathon Weekend 2013 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reep said:
Not really. The 17k this year is how many registered. The 13k is how many finished in 2011.

Oohhhhhhhh. Thanks! I never saw it that way.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.

Finished my 13 miler for today. Upset that my average pace SUCKED but I'll admit that the route I took was very hilly and had some serious inclines. Even DH gave out at 9.5 miles and walked the remainder. So happy to be home with a cold Muscle Milk in hand.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.

Been lurking on here for a while, and finally signed up on the site

Running history:
Hated it in the miltary, when my term was up, started doing it for me and made all the difference. Ran a bunch of 5ks, an 8k, and bandit ran a whole lot more. Started doing distance runs outside versus treadmill which lead to the next items

Ran my first HM in November 2011(Womens Half Marathon, one of the few guys who was in it), hit a wall midway though, and faltered near the end for a 2:18. DIsney marathon on January ran the whole thing @ 2:"03 (was hoping for under 2). Ended up killing my IT Band after that due to the angles. Got the all clear from the doctor in the beginning of march, and PR'd a week later in the Sarasota Half Marathon. (1:53)

Day after the disney half, i was watching the disney marathon runners and seeing some of the people doing it gave me the drive to sign up for the full (ironically, a few days earlier, when pulling into disney, i told me wife there was no way i'd ever want to do a full)

Signed up for the WDW Marathon when it opened, and booked at POFQ a couple weeks ago. Have three time goals....1) 4 hours, 2) 4:30, 3) finish.

Been running off of the Hal Hidgeons Intermediate Marathon training plan, and 'jumped' into week 7 a couple weeks ago to give me a set training schedule versus me randomly running distances i wanted to.

And now the bad.....Monday, I figured I'd throw in a light cross train with p90x (abs). Tuesday was rainy, so i didn't get a chance to run, and figured I'd run early Wednesday, then Wednesday night. No harm no fowl. Ended up getting ready and clocked my GPS at .04 miles.....yes, not a typo. Every step I took had such sharp pain in my inside thigh that I could barely walk. Got the to doctor (one of them) on Friday who said I might have strained my abductor (groin injury). Talk about a complete set back.

I have another appointment with a much better doctor (Dr Eaton down here who work on the Rays/Bucs/Lightning players) and I'm hoping he's got better news. I'm hoping (key word here) that I can get back out in a week or so which should kill too much off me, and I'll jump into week 2 of the HH plan and rely on the base miles I've set over the past 2 years to get me through that hump.

Also signed up on the T0T 10 miler, so I'm realling hoping I'm better by then....

Sorry the first post is kinda a downer all in all, but figured it was time to join versus lurk.

chris84bond said:

Running history:
Hated it in the miltary, when my term was up, started doing it for me and made all the difference. Ran a bunch of 5ks, an 8k, and bandit ran a whole lot more. Started doing distance runs outside versus treadmill which lead to the next items

Ran my first HM in November 2011(Womens Half Marathon, one of the few guys who was in it), hit a wall midway though, and faltered near the end for a 2:18. DIsney marathon on January ran the whole thing @ 2:"03 (was hoping for under 2). Ended up killing my IT Band after that due to the angles. Got the all clear from the doctor in the beginning of march, and PR'd a week later in the Sarasota Half Marathon. (1:53)

Day after the disney half, i was watching the disney marathon runners and seeing some of the people doing it gave me the drive to sign up for the full (ironically, a few days earlier, when pulling into disney, i told me wife there was no way i'd ever want to do a full)

Signed up for the WDW Marathon when it opened, and booked at POFQ a couple weeks ago. Have three time goals....1) 4 hours, 2) 4:30, 3) finish.

Been running off of the Hal Hidgeons Intermediate Marathon training plan, and 'jumped' into week 7 a couple weeks ago to give me a set training schedule versus me randomly running distances i wanted to.

And now the bad.....Monday, I figured I'd throw in a light cross train with p90x (abs). Tuesday was rainy, so i didn't get a chance to run, and figured I'd run early Wednesday, then Wednesday night. No harm no fowl. Ended up getting ready and clocked my GPS at .04 miles.....yes, not a typo. Every step I took had such sharp pain in my inside thigh that I could barely walk. Got the to doctor (one of them) on Friday who said I might have strained my abductor (groin injury). Talk about a complete set back.

I have another appointment with a much better doctor (Dr Eaton down here who work on the Rays/Bucs/Lightning players) and I'm hoping he's got better news. I'm hoping (key word here) that I can get back out in a week or so which should kill too much off me, and I'll jump into week 2 of the HH plan and rely on the base miles I've set over the past 2 years to get me through that hump.

Also signed up on the T0T 10 miler, so I'm realling hoping I'm better by then....

Sorry the first post is kinda a downer all in all, but figured it was time to join versus lurk.

Good luck! I think hip abductor stretches are huge for me. Can't run without doing them or I'm in pain. My CW-X Performx tights really help with holding my hip muscles during long runs. Try them under your shorts!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.

Tried for 9 today and due to chafing, getting very overheated early, over-hydrating and eating too soon before the run, I was only able to do 2.5 miles.

Now I'm really worried a marathon just isn't something I'll be able to do. Anyone who has ever felt like this have an advice?

kmg148 said:
Tried for 9 today and due to chafing, getting very overheated early, over-hydrating and eating too soon before the run, I was only able to do 2.5 miles.

Now I'm really worried a marathon just isn't something I'll be able to do. Anyone who has ever felt like this have an advice?

Haven't done a full yet, but I know you can't exercise properly if food is sloshing around your stomach. If I'm doing a long run, I usually have a piece of toast with pb and bananas about 30-60 minutes before I run. It should be just enough to get you going and give you the energy you need to start. My gels cover me after that. Hydration is an individual thing. I think I drink a full glass of water for every 4-5 miles. Learn from your mistakes and wear something lighter or try to get out earlier during the morning or late at night. HTH

I've had a lot of those days... But you've got to know when to walk away and know when to run! It's one run of many so if you learned nothing other than these pants totally make me chafe and I shouldn't scarf bacon before I run, I'd say it was a good day for you.

Don't let a less than optimal run get you down. Stick to your training plan and I'm sure you will be able to complete a marathon. Some days just aren't meant to run. Hopefully your next run will be amazing! pixiedust:

Hey everyone!

I am currently training for the TOT 10-miler and have decided to bite the bullet and sign up for the full. Anyone else think I'm nuts? I do.

Do you think I have enough time to train? The farthest I've ran so far is 8 miles. I know I have some time, but I definitely don't want to injure myself.

I am doing both ToT and the marathon, too! I guess that also makes me pretty nuts.

Good luck and train wisely

I've had bad running days too. If possible, I usually throw in the running towel and just walk it. Not the fully planned distance, but usually at least half.

For chafing, have you tried Body Glide? Works wonders.

Eventually you'll figure out a drinking/eating system that works for your body. No worries. Try smaller amounts of food - and yeah, not right before you run. I've figured I need at least 1.5 hours time between eating (lightly) and then running. Or basically nothing at all. Example: this AM, I ate only 1 Nature Valley granola bar, drank a few sips of water, and ran 10 miles. But I fueled up and hydrated properly Thursday and Friday. That's what works for me. I simply cannot eat prior to running. Keep experimenting and you'll find something that works for you!

Finished week 8 of Marathon training today with a 5k Color Run. I did my long run on Thursday night, altho I only did 7.5 of the 9 miles. I ran with my running club, didn't turn on my gps and we guessed at what we thought was 8+ miles. lol I think we may have guessed wrong! It was somewhere between 7.5 and 8. Happy with it, though, I ran 9.3 miles last week and didn't have to, so I think I am ahead of the game!
Rock n Roll Philly Half is in 3 weeks, woohoo, talk about a great training run!
:yay:

I don't know where you live but I'm down in Miami and I went for a run in the daytime with the temps around 90-92,I wanted to get around 6-7 miles in,but the heat was just too much and had to stop at about 4 miles.About a week before I ran 13 miles at about 10-11pm and felt very good the whole way.Obviously I was soaked in sweat when I was done as it was still 80-82 degrees but for the most part it was a good solid, positive run.I think I'm passing on running outside in the daytime until at least the end of October.Is the heat the reason you got overheated early or because you went too fast at the beginning,I'm running about 3/4 of the time and walking the other quarter keeping me at around 11-12 minute miles,I could probably run a mile in about 7 minutes if I tried but my goal is a marathon which I'll never complete if I don't keep a nice easy pace.As far as the eating and drinking I wouldn't eat too much before a long run,and wait at least close to 3 hours until going out.As far as drinking at least for me I have to drink a lot of water right before and even some during the run with how much I sweat.Chafing can be a big problem for me as well,I put on Bodyglide before any run and if I know I'm going a long distance I put about 1/4 of the whole stick on and I haven't had a problem.

Tomorrow, must do 13 miles! I've been a little slack with running. Now that the kids are starting soccer practice it is really cutting in to my running time. And it's dark so much earlier now. :( Looking forward to cooler running temps, but I am so not ready for summer to end.

Running history:

Good to get to the doc, but if it is the adductor, be prepared to take time off. Hard medicine but necessary for recovery

Tomorrow, must do 13 miles! I've been a little slack with running. Now that the kids are starting soccer practice it is really cutting in to my running time. And it's dark so much earlier now. :( Looking forward to cooler running temps, but I am so not ready for summer to end.

It's a nice morning for it, I hope you got your run in! I did my long run on Thursday night, and this coming week there is no "long" run, it is a rest week I guess, with 2 runs of 3-4 miles and a 5 miler, which I will do at Thursday night's running club run again. Next week I am supposed to do 11, but I have a Half the week after, so I am cutting it down to a 10K at the Brielle Day 10K and making up for it the week after at the Rock n Roll Philly :dance3:

I had to alter a lot of my weeks like that, but it always seems to work out well for the most part. In October tho, I go from 13.1 as my longest....to 20! I am missing a 17 miler due to my Halfs so we will see how I handle it. That might be about the time I really Galloway, and start walk/running instead of always running!

Haven't done a full yet, but I know you can't exercise properly if food is sloshing around your stomach. If I'm doing a long run, I usually have a piece of toast with pb and bananas about 30-60 minutes before I run. It should be just enough to get you going and give you the energy you need to start. My gels cover me after that. Hydration is an individual thing. I think I drink a full glass of water for every 4-5 miles. Learn from your mistakes and wear something lighter or try to get out earlier during the morning or late at night. HTH

I've had a lot of those days... But you've got to know when to walk away and know when to run! It's one run of many so if you learned nothing other than these pants totally make me chafe and I shouldn't scarf bacon before I run, I'd say it was a good day for you.

I don't know where you live but I'm down in Miami and I went for a run in the daytime with the temps around 90-92,I wanted to get around 6-7 miles in,but the heat was just too much and had to stop at about 4 miles.About a week before I ran 13 miles at about 10-11pm and felt very good the whole way.Obviously I was soaked in sweat when I was done as it was still 80-82 degrees but for the most part it was a good solid, positive run.I think I'm passing on running outside in the daytime until at least the end of October.Is the heat the reason you got overheated early or because you went too fast at the beginning,I'm running about 3/4 of the time and walking the other quarter keeping me at around 11-12 minute miles,I could probably run a mile in about 7 minutes if I tried but my goal is a marathon which I'll never complete if I don't keep a nice easy pace.As far as the eating and drinking I wouldn't eat too much before a long run,and wait at least close to 3 hours until going out.As far as drinking at least for me I have to drink a lot of water right before and even some during the run with how much I sweat.Chafing can be a big problem for me as well,I put on Bodyglide before any run and if I know I'm going a long distance I put about 1/4 of the whole stick on and I haven't had a problem.

Echoing much of the above....

Training for a first marathon is all about discovery. As you start on the path, you think it's about the miles, only. But its also learning about hydration, fueling, clothing and many other do's and don'ts. You will learn what you can and cannot do as you start to add miles - your will learn the mental side of the game as well.

First, sounds like you need to pre-run fuel a little earlier. I would not have solid food 60-90 minutes pre-run. This time can vary but this is a good starting point. Likewise, I am not sure about the hydration strategy, but you cannot drink enough water pre-run for a 9 mile run. Plan on carrying water while running. You have overdone things if the gut is sloshing and once that occurs on the run, the gut has essentially shunted, meaning that it will not process any further until you slow up on the intensity.

Next, if you are not wearing tech clothing, get some. It is pricy but cotton is an absolute no no for any serious runner. And YES, you are a serious runner if you are training for a half or full.

Next long run grab some runner's lube and apply where chafing occurred. Most runners will have a little rubbing and this is a great way to limit the effects.

As mentioned, slow up in the heat. If really hot, you may need to add 2-5 minutes per mile. Going out too fast too soon will lead to a shortened run. Part of training is learning pace and how to judge your pace as you run.

Finally, the mental side of the game is huge. The mind is extremely powerful and can convince you to not run.... even on a great day. Overcoming these negative thoughts while on the run is one of the largest parts of training. Many folks never figure it out. I can assure you that if you learn the little mental cues that give you the work around to the "I must stop" thoughts you will do well in the race.

So what's next. First of all, try again today if possible. If not, just make your next scheduled run on Tuesday (assuming Galloway plan) and hop back on the plan. For the next long run, if you get the feeling of needing to bail, just walk for 5 or 10 minutes then restart. That may or may not work, but sometimes breaking up the run can work wonders. Do not beat yourself up just yet. We all have bailed on a run and have made the race.

I did my second Magic Mile with my Galloway group yesterday. Shaved a minute off my previous time to 9:36 so felt good about that. My strength and endurance have improved so much.

Next week is a 10 mile run, which will be my longest yet so hoping for a good week.

Good to get to the doc, but if it is the adductor, be prepared to take time off. Hard medicine but necessary for recovery

Grrr...not what i wanted to hear (although the truth hurts sometimes). Any thoughts on 1) recovery time if it is abductor and 2) thoughts on marathon planning if I had 15 mile long runs prior to the injury (and a couple months ago when it was nicer out in FL).

Edit: also, anything I can do to help strengthen it to 'cut' recovery time? I know there isn't any way to cut recovery time to nil, and cutting time usually results in further injury later, but if there's anything I can do to help, I'm all for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter