Official WDW Marathon Weekend 2013 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone "sleeping in" on half marathon Saturday been awakened by the half marathon noise- like announcers, music, etc? Light sleeper here and wondering if certain Dis hotels might get a lot of race noise. Sat am may be my only day to get a little sleep!

If Disney doesn't provide transportation for non rundisney package guests, that would really affect my plans. I think the cm must be misinformed. If we keep seeing this reported trend, that would be a concern.

How is it a reported trend? It has NEVER happened.

buckeyecinderella said:
Has anyone "sleeping in" on half marathon Saturday been awakened by the half marathon noise- like announcers, music, etc? Light sleeper here and wondering if certain Dis hotels might get a lot of race noise. Sat am may be my only day to get a little sleep!

If Disney doesn't provide transportation for non rundisney package guests, that would really affect my plans. I think the cm must be misinformed. If we keep seeing this reported trend, that would be a concern.

I stayed at OKW during the PHM 12 and was awoken on race morning by the sound check at 2 AM. So annoying because it was hard for me to fall asleep in the first place. I wouldn't suggest staying at a resort that has rooms facing Bonnet Creek Parkway and the Epcot parking lot.

How is it a reported trend? It has NEVER happened......

I have seen this reported twice on these boards that two runners have been told this by cast members. Even though I think the cm's are incorrect, I just meant that if we keep hearing reports like this, it might be a concern that I would need to check into myself. I think we'll have no problems and it will be just as it has been in the past. I think I read where Disney encourages runners and families to use the transportation and it is provided from all host hotels. So I think we shall have no worries!

buckeyecinderella said:
How is it a reported trend? It has NEVER happened......

I have seen this reported twice on these boards that two runners have been told this by cast members. Even though I think the cm's are incorrect, I just meant that if we keep hearing reports like this, it might be a concern that I would need to check into myself. I think we'll have no problems and it will be just as it has been in the past. I think I read where Disney encourages runners and families to use the transportation and it is provided from all host hotels. So I think we shall have no worries!

Maybe the PP meant trending report or rumor?

Any experience with them for the marathon? Not sure if I want to run with a group for part of the run as I am shooting for a 4:45 finish time and know that there is not a dedicated pace group for that.

Any experience with them for the marathon? Not sure if I want to run with a group for part of the run as I am shooting for a 4:45 finish time and know that there is not a dedicated pace group for that.

I find them pretty useful as long as you've got good pacers. The Disney ones are from Clif. They are very good and will get you there right on time. Some will be chatty, some will be cheerleaders, but all will run the times they are supposed to run. Pace groups also give you a built-in set of people to chat with during the race, especially with the more popular times.

I didn't use the pacers at PHM because DH was running with me and now I'm sure for the marathon, he'll want to keep his own pace. Do the pacers allow for picture opportunities or is that something you run off on your own for and then catch up again?

Attention Michiganders! Just bought my ticket on Delta for marathon weekend--tickets going for under $200. And now Delta is joining the "Strip the perks" bandwagon by offering a Basic Economy seat that sells for $10 less. You don't get to pick a seat and it is non-changeable/refundable. But given their change fees, and the ticket price, who cares about the last bit.

Anyway, my Yapta price alert served me well.

Maura

I didn't use the pacers at PHM because DH was running with me and now I'm sure for the marathon, he'll want to keep his own pace. Do the pacers allow for picture opportunities or is that something you run off on your own for and then catch up again?

That's something you need to handle on your own. They will sometimes slow down or walk through the water stops, but they don't stop at the characters for pictures.

Finally booked our room for marathon weekend. Decided to go with Poly. Excited as it will be my first time staying there and I have always wanted to. Now hoping for a RO discount to help!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Thanks to all those that have answered or provided their opinions on this thread, VERY HELPFUL! We decided to splurge on the Contemporary Theme Park view for the night before the 1/2 which me and my wife are now running. It's crazy expensive and we'll never do it again but we have mine and her mom coming to to watch the kids and they'll be contributing to the room. It will be SO cool to stay there, see the fireworks from our room then head to bed for the early morning. Plus staying there will allow my directionally challenged mother and mother in law to actually find the race to see us with the kids :-)

To my question, when I registered myself and my wife i provided "proof" of our pace by entering a event and time into the box, but I didn't actually have to provide any actual evidence that I wasn't lying. Do they take my word for it or do I need to send them some physical/digital evidence? I DO NOT want to end up in the last corral, when I get to the start I want to go ASAP! I did provide a time less than 2:45, I believe I put 2:15. Any thoughts on this are much appreciated. My apologizes if this is covered in this thread, I am reading through it but am only to page 75 and then again 110 till now, LOTs of info to sift through and very helpful, thanks to you all!!!

When the corral placements come out and you feel you should be in a higher corral, you can always bring your proof of time to the expo and try and have them change you.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.

steves1019 said:
Thanks to all those that have answered or provided their opinions on this thread, VERY HELPFUL! We decided to splurge on the Contemporary Theme Park view for the night before the 1/2 which me and my wife are now running. It's crazy expensive and we'll never do it again but we have mine and her mom coming to to watch the kids and they'll be contributing to the room. It will be SO cool to stay there, see the fireworks from our room then head to bed for the early morning. Plus staying there will allow my directionally challenged mother and mother in law to actually find the race to see us with the kids :-)

To my question, when I registered myself and my wife i provided "proof" of our pace by entering a event and time into the box, but I didn't actually have to provide any actual evidence that I wasn't lying. Do they take my word for it or do I need to send them some physical/digital evidence? I DO NOT want to end up in the last corral, when I get to the start I want to go ASAP! I did provide a time less than 2:45, I believe I put 2:15. Any thoughts on this are much appreciated. My apologizes if this is covered in this thread, I am reading through it but am only to page 75 and then again 110 till now, LOTs of info to sift through and very helpful, thanks to you all!!!

I could be wrong but I think somewhere I read that they will do a search for the race & look under the results for proof that you did run the race in the time you said you did. You can always print out a copy of your results & have it on hand if you don't like the corral placement you are in & show it at the expo. They can adjust your placement there.

I did it! I signed up for the marathon! I've run 4 halfs before, but this will be my first full. I keep bouncing between total excitement and sheer terror:scared1: This is going to be a long 5 months...

As long as you put the name of the race and your time, you are good to go. As posted just above, if your corral is slower than about a C or D, bring your proof with you and you can get it changed. After you clear the first mile it really does not matter as the race spaces out from there.

While I really like your rooms... be forewarned that you may lose a little sleep the night pre-race. Though thinking about it, the opposite side has the water parade at 10, so this is the preferable view.

I did it! I signed up for the marathon! I've run 4 halfs before, but this will be my first full. I keep bouncing between total excitement and sheer terror:scared1: This is going to be a long 5 months...

Congrats. This is a great first time event

Today the training plan called for 7 miles...but somehow I ran 12!! I have not ran this far since the Princess in February and I've been so bad at following the training plan lately with vacation and work that I didn't think I would make it to 5 miles. It was probably my best run to date...so much so that I did NOT get tomato face, which always happens! I think I might actually be able to do this whole marathon thing...

How did everyone else do this weekend??

I find them pretty useful as long as you've got good pacers. The Disney ones are from Clif. They are very good and will get you there right on time. Some will be chatty, some will be cheerleaders, but all will run the times they are supposed to run. Pace groups also give you a built-in set of people to chat with during the race, especially with the more popular times.

John hit this on the head. I was running the 2008 or 9 half and had the 2 hour group pass me. I hooked onto the rear and kept up with them for maybe 4 miles. It was then that I realized that the pacer's plan was to run hard then coast into the finish in the last couple miles. We were running the about a 1:45 pace and I was not prepared for that. Ugh.

Note that they are better now that there is only one start line. Prior to the current wave configuration we had the elites through 4:45-5:00 runners on one side. On the other side the remainder of the race. One year we had the $;15 and 5:30 pace groups meet behind Mexico at the old course merge point. It was a real mess. Glad that they have corrected that.

Just remember that if you are in a pace group, you are just about like the group of friends running 3-5 abreast. Be runner friendly at aid stations and as folks come up from behind.

Today the training plan called for 7 miles...but somehow I ran 12!! I have not ran this far since the Princess in February and I've been so bad at following the training plan lately with vacation and work that I didn't think I would make it to 5 miles. It was probably my best run to date...so much so that I did NOT get tomato face, which always happens! I think I might actually be able to do this whole marathon thing...

How did everyone else do this weekend??

I've never accidentally run 12... but I have had this tomato face you speak of. Although, it tends to be more eggplant purple than tomato red at this point... Getting rid of it is so important for race pictures, though.

That is a pretty awesome run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter