Official WDW Marathon Weekend 2013 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry and/or you're welcome :)

I"m sure you could easily build in a "water stop" just before mile 26. Get a little refreshment so you can really pound out that last half mile or so.

It's definitely a thank you! :)

I think I'll need something at the end to look forward to and having a margaritas will do just that. Plus I think some of my friends and family will die laughing and think it's great as well :rotfl2:

Hi everyone! I've been lurking on this thread for a long time, but I'm finally posting (I'm a little shy :blush:). I'm trying to decide if I should sign up for the full and wanted your advice. I've been running almost 3 years, have done four halfs and have been running 35-40 mpw since January. However, I got a little too cocky with my training and now have a stress fracture in my foot. I'm hoping to start running again within 4 to 6 weeks. Do you think that will be enough time to come back before I have to start a marathon training program? This would be my first full and I really want to do it, but don't want to hurt myself. Anyone have experience with injuries?
Oh, and thanks everyone for all your posts. You all inspire me!:goodvibes

Hi everyone! I've been lurking on this thread for a long time, but I'm finally posting (I'm a little shy :blush:). I'm trying to decide if I should sign up for the full and wanted your advice. I've been running almost 3 years, have done four halfs and have been running 35-40 mpw since January. However, I got a little too cocky with my training and now have a stress fracture in my foot. I'm hoping to start running again within 4 to 6 weeks. Do you think that will be enough time to come back before I have to start a marathon training program? This would be my first full and I really want to do it, but don't want to hurt myself. Anyone have experience with injuries?

Welcome! I can't help with the injury part so I hope someone else chimes in. But if you can start in 4-6 weeks you'll have time. Galloway puts up great training plans on the run Disney site & you can follow one of those. The Goofy plan starts in about 3 weeks & is a 28 week plan so you'll be fine.

I'm doing my first Goofy (and first full for that matter). I have 5 half marathons under my belt, so I'm definitely not an expert, but from the replies I've been reading from similar posts we all should do ok as long as we train diligently.

:)

As far as injuries go, listen to your body and don't push it if it doesn't feel right.

I had knee surgery last year, early May. I was also already signed up for the Wine and Dine Half prior to my injury. (torn meniscus) After PT, I started walking and jogging again the first week of July. Started very, very slowly and eventually started my training program. Although, I walked much of it and didn't start jogging more until August. There were good knee days and bad knee days, so I just slowed down when I needed to. I finished the race in not a very good time, but I finished, and that's all I really wanted to do! And then I continued training for the Marathon Relay in January!

So you can come back from injury, just take it real slow and pay attention to the aches and pains more.

If it's OK to ask, how did you injure yourself? I'm new to training and want to avoid injuries if I can. I have a lot of determination but I'm concerned about pushing to far. Any war stories would be appreciated!

Yes... But hopefully you have been on some cardio program while booted. If not, hop on a hand cycle, row or if allowed by Doc, cycle.

When you head out, cut your miles to 30-50% of where you were and then only add 10% max per week. Actually, thinking a little, I would run base mile loads of 3-5 miles 2-4 x a week and then a long run of maybe 6 until your training plan starts. Then ramp up according to the plan.

For the record, most first timer marathon plans run less per week than you were running, or at best equal where you were near the end.

If it's OK to ask, how did you injure yourself? I'm new to training and want to avoid injuries if I can. I have a lot of determination but I'm concerned about pushing to far. Any war stories would be appreciated!

I think I injured myself because I got too cocky. I've been training for a half marathon that is scheduled next weekend, which I will not be doing. and was trying to do too many miles, plus adding speed workouts. Its my own fault, so if you're careful it shouldn't happen to you. Plus I'm recovering from an eating disorder from a few years ago. I eat just fine know, if anything too much, but I'm sure that my past doesn't help the situation.

I think I injured myself because I got too cocky. I've been training for a half marathon that is scheduled next weekend, which I will not be doing. and was trying to do too many miles, plus adding speed workouts. Its my own fault, so if you're careful it shouldn't happen to you. Plus I'm recovering from an eating disorder from a few years ago. I eat just fine know, if anything too much, but I'm sure that my past doesn't help the situation.

I appreciate the info. I'm wildly inexperienced, so even though I know I should listen to my body, right now it's tough to tell which signals are normal soreness, which are minor dings, and which are major warning signs. I've tried to be careful but it's tough since I don't have a frame of reference. That's why I'm grateful for your experience!

I appreciate the info. I'm wildly inexperienced, so even though I know I should listen to my body, right now it's tough to tell which signals are normal soreness, which are minor dings, and which are major warning signs. I've tried to be careful but it's tough since I don't have a frame of reference. That's why I'm grateful for your experience!
Normal soreness is usually what you feel the next day (if you have any soreness at all). It is usually pretty even on both sides of your body and it goes away in a day or two at the most. If you have tweaked a muscle it will usually be more isolated (for example, you'll feel it in one quad instead of both). With some rest and ice that sort of thing might go away in a few days. You should watch anything that lingers beyond that. I ignored a hamstring pull when I first started running (I thought it was too minor to complain about!) and after a few weeks it turned into hip bursitis because of the way everything is connected. When the bursitis came on I had slight pain just a couple of days before suddenly it was so bad I couldn't run on it, that was when I went to the doctor and it took 4-6 weeks of PT before I could run again. I've learned to go to the doctor sooner rather than later, but only after something has been around for a couple of weeks and isn't responding to conservative treatments.

Good luck with your training!

Well, I finally pulled the trigger and registered for the full today. Now I just need to get back to running. I've been off for a month nursing an injury and waiting on new orthotics. This week it's time to hit the pavement. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and it won't rain.

Well, I finally pulled the trigger and registered for the full today. Now I just need to get back to running. I've been off for a month nursing an injury and waiting on new orthotics. This week it's time to hit the pavement. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and it won't rain.

:cool1::banana::cool1::banana::cool1::banana:

A general rule of thumb is that soreness is OK and pain is bad. Further, muscles get sore for the most part and joints have pain. The second sentence is not and absolute and if you have pain in a large muscle listen to it. Finally, work through soreness and stop with pain. The phrase no pain no gain is not an appropriate matra

Was there a post race party in DtD last year? If so, what is it like?

The DTD post race party dies when Pleasure Island closed. It was interesting as it looked like a bunch of zombies trying to dance errr shuffle. I think it a good move to restart the post race party, but reserve judgement as to if it is worth attending. Hopefully more detail will follow

I just finished my first half, I'm alive, in one piece, and not particularly sore! Victory! Now I feel a little better about my rash decision to do the full, but wanted to know for those who don't run so fast... I noticed the race I was at today by the time I crossed the finish line, the water was low as was the food. Does this happen at Disney? Should I plan on bringing something with me and can I leave it in bag check?

I just finished my first half, I'm alive, in one piece, and not particularly sore! Victory! Now I feel a little better about my rash decision to do the full, but wanted to know for those who don't run so fast... I noticed the race I was at today by the time I crossed the finish line, the water was low as was the food. Does this happen at Disney? Should I plan on bringing something with me and can I leave it in bag check?

Only once since 99 has Disney had a really bad day with regard to water and other supplies. That was 2007 when temps soared. Saying that, maybe a stop or two will have supply issues or run low. I would plan on bringing the nutrition supplies (gels, blocks, beans, etc) that you will need. Otherwise, it really depends on your risk tolerance. I carry a PowerAde bottle with me during the first few miles of the full due mostly to the longer and somewhat irregular water stop spacing. I know that several folks in the rear carry some form of back up supply like a fuel belt, etc.

Great job on finishing your half

First and foremost, congratulations on your first half! Coach Charles spoke to the usually excellent supplies on the course, so I'll speak to finish-line goodies. For the size of the races, Disney does a good job of ensuring there is enough food for everyone -- and that you can move relatively quickly through the finish area. It's nothing particularly interesting or fancy -- bagels, bananas, orange wedges, some sort of "nutrition bar", but there's plenty of water and Powerade. I've even been handed ice cold Diet Cokes before.:goodvibes

If there's something specific you know you want, then I'd bring it with you and check it with your bag -- as long as it doesn't need to be frozen or refrigerated it'll be fine.

I've done a couple of local races where the post-race food and drink have "disappeared" -- while spectators (who didn't run, mind you...) walk around holding bottles of water and bags of snacks. Rowr. But since Disney passes out food before the "reunion" area, that doesn't happen!

The DTD post race party dies when Pleasure Island closed. It was interesting as it looked like a bunch of zombies trying to dance errr shuffle. I think it a good move to restart the post race party, but reserve judgement as to if it is worth attending. Hopefully more detail will follow

There was a "party" at DTD in 2009 -- though we walked past it two or three times before realizing that the dark and almost empty spot with a couple of computers where you could look up your times was the "party"... Here's hoping they do something a bit more festive this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter