Official WDW Marathon Weekend 2013 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did an actual 5K race today, walked most of it with DD6. It went ok, my pace was 16:40 obviously not good enough for Disney but it was uphill 70% of the way. Flat would be better!
My hydration was good though. When DS15 and I did the Everest Challenge our 5K time was 42 and change but I was thirsty the whole way, today I brought one water bottle with me and only needed 1/2 of it.

I have a lot of work to do but I think I have a real shot at the marathon. DH can't run with me though, he walked the whole way at a leisurely stride and I think he was getting frustrated. But DD was not cooperating at all.

Hi Maria so glad you are coming in 2013!!!!!!! I will keep you sane if you keep me sane:thumbsup2

Did an actual 5K race today, walked most of it with DD6. It went ok, my pace was 16:40 obviously not good enough for Disney but it was uphill 70% of the way. Flat would be better!
My hydration was good though. When DS15 and I did the Everest Challenge our 5K time was 42 and change but I was thirsty the whole way, today I brought one water bottle with me and only needed 1/2 of it.

I have a lot of work to do but I think I have a real shot at the marathon. DH can't run with me though, he walked the whole way at a leisurely stride and I think he was getting frustrated. But DD was not cooperating at all.

Congrats on finishing the 5K.:thumbsup2 Don't worry about the pace, you have plenty of time to get in under that 16:00 m/m pace. Hills can be killers!

Running my first full marathon in 2013! Can't wait to get that special 20th anniversary medal :)

Running my first full marathon in 2013! Can't wait to get that special 20th anniversary medal :)

Congrats on signing up! Another Michigan runner here doing the full! I am really looking forward to wearing that medal around the parks... !!

:sunny:

Was it national 5k day today? I did one, too, and there were so many to choose from I was kind of annoyed that I couldn't do more... This was my first time with a big crowd, which was an interesting experience, but I saw quite a few people with shirts from Disney races! It was a nice little motivating boost and reminder of why I woke up at 6 and drove an hour and a half for the race.

Me too! And thats why I took the leap for the full....just to get the special bling. :lmao:

Good grief! Last night I had a pre marathon weekend anxiety dream. :eek:

I dreamt I was staying at the Contemporary Resort...only it was much larger and confusing, and there was a busy monorail (but didn't look like the real Monorail) going through it. There were people everywhere, most going to their work. I was going all over the place but never found a way out. And I woke up on the morning of the half at 9am and realized I missed the race and now I wouldn't be going Goofy. I was so stressed!!! I kept telling myself it was ok, I was going to do the full and get the anniversary medal still. But I was so disappointed!

Crazy! I had no idea I was subconsciously feeling stress about it, let alone this far out.

I dreamt I was staying at the Contemporary Resort...only it was much larger and confusing, and there was a busy monorail (but didn't look like the real Monorail) going through it. There were people everywhere, most going to their work. I was going all over the place but never found a way out. And I woke up on the morning of the half at 9am and realized I missed the race and now I wouldn't be going Goofy. I was so stressed!!! I kept telling myself it was ok, I was going to do the full and get the anniversary medal still. But I was so disappointed!

Crazy! I had no idea I was subconsciously feeling stress about it, let alone this far out.

You too?

Mine was about the 5K which I'm not even running. It was a windng course through a two storey hotel lobby of one of the values (bizarre already huh?) and it looped through one spot twice but they hadn't put signs up and I went the wrong way, got lost, and it took me an hour to get back to the spot. I was crying and swearing but I decided to finish and instead of a medallion, I got a metal pin with dinosaurs on it. To add to it, I had a cast member following me around, counting down from 5 every time I swore since if I swore 3 times in 5 seconds, they'd kick me out of Disney! :sad2:

You too?

Mine was about the 5K which I'm not even running. It was a windng course through a two storey hotel lobby of one of the values (bizarre already huh?) and it looped through one spot twice but they hadn't put signs up and I went the wrong way, got lost, and it took me an hour to get back to the spot. I was crying and swearing but I decided to finish and instead of a medallion, I got a metal pin with dinosaurs on it. To add to it, I had a cast member following me around, counting down from 5 every time I swore since if I swore 3 times in 5 seconds, they'd kick me out of Disney! :sad2:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

So funny! I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Was it national 5k day today? I did one, too, and there were so many to choose from I was kind of annoyed that I couldn't do more... This was my first time with a big crowd, which was an interesting experience, but I saw quite a few people with shirts from Disney races! It was a nice little motivating boost and reminder of why I woke up at 6 and drove an hour and a half for the race.

LOL I know! I got the Active email with a list of local races yesterday, there were so many! Lots of virtual runs too, those I'm not so crazy about especially when they still want you to pay to enter.

Our race was a memorial run for a boy that died of Sudden Cardiac Arrest at a Cross Country race for the high school. His family does the race to help race money for AED's for local schools and sports clubs. If we had had an AED on the course it probably would have saved his life, but at the time most schools didn't have them because they are so expensive, last I heard they were about $1500 a piece. I came in 214th and there were at least 30 people behind me, at $10 a piece for entry that was at least $2500 raised plus the $$ they got for t-shirts. They can probably buy 2 AED's this year.

You too?

Wow! It sounds like you were running the Jurassic Park 5K or something! Lol

Maybe this is a sign you should sign up to,run the 5K. Face your fears, I always say! :lmao:

LOL I know! I got the Active email with a list of local races yesterday, there were so many! Lots of virtual runs too, those I'm not so crazy about especially when they still want you to pay to enter.

Our race was a memorial run for a boy that died of Sudden Cardiac Arrest at a Cross Country race for the high school. His family does the race to help race money for AED's for local schools and sports clubs. If we had had an AED on the course it probably would have saved his life, but at the time most schools didn't have them because they are so expensive, last I heard they were about $1500 a piece. I came in 214th and there were at least 30 people behind me, at $10 a piece for entry that was at least $2500 raised plus the $$ they got for t-shirts. They can probably buy 2 AED's this year.

That sounds like a great reason to have a race! I went to one for the Special Olympics- we ran through the Lincoln Tunnel from the NJ side to NY and back. 214th place isn't bad-- I finished in 1,292nd place!

Just curious, how much larger of a shoe did you end up getting?
I normally wear shoes 1.5 sizes bigger (and still do for shorter runs), but the ones I wore for the marathon were a full 2 sizes bigger than my normal street shoe size. They also have a larger toe box overall than the shoes I was wearing.

I work for a running shoe company and we advise going up 1/2 to 1 size from what you wear in "standard" shoes. Because your feet swell when you run (especially on loooooong runs!), you need extra room in the toe box. You should be able to fit the width of your thumb between your toes and the end of your shoe. I used to think that seemed crazy -- but you use the lacing to actually "fit" the shoe to your feet.

Still, there's no substitute to being fitted in a good running store -- they can watch you walk or run, analyze your gait, and make sure you have the best shoe for you.
I agree! I learned that it is really important for your toes to be able to spread out some to help with push-off. Plus the staff at a good running store knows the subtle differences between shoe types that might really help make them more comfortable for you, like suggesting the larger toe box in addition to 1/2 size up for me. I don't have to do any different lacing now but I know a lot of people who do to get the exact fit that works for them.

You do have a real shot! The marathon is mostly mental, so you need that determination. You have a long time to train and be ready for race day, just have to make a plan and stick to it!

You too?

I have those kinds of dreams too! Had one right after I signed up for the Goofy and I was also surprised since it is so far away still. I can only imagine what race week will bring!

At some point in my life I'm "just" going to do a full marathon....but not this time!

:goofy: :goofy: :goofy:

DH going to do the :donald: again. Last time he swore he was never running again. hehehe

At some point in my life I'm "just" going to do a full marathon....but not this time!

:goofy: :goofy: :goofy:

DH going to do the :donald: again. Last time he swore he was never running again. hehehe

After the 2012 Marathon I thought I was done...and I'm going back in 2013 to go Goofy. These races are addicting!

I had 2 races this weekend: a 5K (new PR!) and a 10-miler. The 10-miler was also a new PR, but I have to admit that I'm a wee bit more excited that I have a better time to send in to Disney for corral placement! :banana: :laughing: There's no question that I have runDisney on the brain!

Happy running, everyone! :yay:

I was all ready to do the Tinker Bell Half (with DD). Then I started thinking that if I finish the Baltimore Half below my 'goal' time I am planning on doing the Mickey in 2013 instead. I want to do at least one full in my lifetime and it being the 20th Anniversary seems perfect. The only problem is the Baltimore Half isn't until October 13. I hope registration for the full holds out until then. So if we go that route then DD will do the Half and I will do the full.

I was all ready to do the Tinker Bell Half (with DD). Then I started thinking that if I finish the Baltimore Half below my 'goal' time I am planning on doing the Mickey in 2013 instead. I want to do at least one full in my lifetime and it being the 20th Anniversary seems perfect. The only problem is the Baltimore Half isn't until October 13. I hope registration for the full holds out until then. So if we go that route then DD will do the Half and I will do the full.

You might be okay waiting...I know this past year the half and full took awhile to sell out. But like you said, it is the 20th anniversary of the marathon, so it may sell out more quickly. I think you only need to start worrying when they start posting how full it is (at 50% I guess). Good luck at the Baltimore Half! :thumbsup2

Just an FYI that the Goofy Challenge is now 56% full....

I saw that! I know that the Goofy cap is smaller than the half/full, but I am still surprised at how quickly it is filling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter