Official WDW Marathon Weekend 2013 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I am a lone runner, so while I will probably have my husband and family to cheer me on, I will be running 26.2 miles by myself and I wonder how that is mentally. Any thoughts? Words of wisdom? Encouragement?

IIRC, every race has been 'by myself." Well, myself, and anywhere from several hundred to 40,000 other runners. I have found, in general, if you want to find someone to talk with during a race, you can - and, conversely, if you don't feel like talking, that's fine too.

As far as encouragement goes - go ahead and sign up! You can do it! Disney is pretty relaxed and laid-back as far as marathons go - it has a very generous time limit, the weather is typically fairly nice, and Disney really does go all out when it comes to putting on an event like this.

I'm just that kind of control feak, type A personality! (Hey, I own it!) LOL

It's not being a control freak, I prefer to think of it as being practical and prepared... I can't imagine doing a lot of runs over 20 miles, but at the same time I'll be the first person freaking out that I can't do it because I didn't practice. On the up side, signing up for the full makes the half seem sooo much shorter. Ideally I'd like something that's 3 days of running per week, since I know I can definitely handle that, although today's return to (f)unemployment has certainly freed up my schedule...

I have another training related question... There's always talk of eating something during the race, whether a bar, block, this gu, etc. I'm really curious how this works-- I've brought water along when it's warmer, but nothing kills my desire to consume solids/semi-solids quite like running or any kind of exercise for that matter....

Valuable lesson learned today while running: when I see a snake, do not panic, scream and run into the street and oncoming traffic. This can cause some additional problems, though did result in a 27 second faster 5 miles.

MightyDuck001, I see snakes on my route, too, from time to time. I absolutely hate snakes, so for me my legs get all jelly like and I feel like I'm going to fall over. If you'd like I could call Disney and ask for a few snakes on YOUR course only to help you speed up along the way??:lmao:

Oh, and about running 26 miles in a training run... If I am finishing that distance somebody better be there at the end with a big shiny medal to put around my neck. :rotfl:

I have a question on the merchandise. I am pretty sure I won't be able to go to the expo until Friday before, is it going to be slim pickings for merchandise. By the time I get out of work and get a flight out the expo will be closed on Thursday :(

MightyDuck001, I see snakes on my route, too, from time to time. I absolutely hate snakes, so for me my legs get all jelly like and I feel like I'm going to fall over. If you'd like I could call Disney and ask for a few snakes on YOUR course only to help you speed up along the way??:lmao:

Perhaps the python from the jungle book? I thought it was a branch, then I got closer and started screaming "oh my god! IT HAS A HEAD! IT HAS A HEAD!" I moved like someone lit me on fire.

DH and I out walking on a trail in the woods for 6 miles last Sunday...

DH yells: "Watch where you're walking"
ME: "It's just a stick (getting closer to it)"
DH: "No, it's a copperhead (poisonous snake) and it's mouth is open"
ME: "EEEEEK" (take off running.....)

I've seen my share of snakes. It does help increase the speed of your run/walk. :eek:

As for the training mileage, I am no expert, I know what works for me. I followed John Bingham and Jenny Hadfield's walk/run training program for my first full. Very easy and manageable around my work and holiday schedule. The longest run was 20 miles. I, too, wondered if this would be enough. It was.

As Amy mentioned, and I believe, if you are a recreational marathoner, running 20 miles at one time takes a toll on your body. You run the risk of injuries after that mileage. Your training is not just about one long run. You will do several long runs in your training and you will be prepared for the marathon. Your body needs time to recover for that all important race and having fresh legs at the start will be better than tired legs from too long of a run or multiple 20 milers close to the race date. I've also heard that it's better to be a little under-trained than over-trained.

For your first marathon, you should probably concentrate more on finishing the race and not a specific time. Most of you are probably middle of the packers. Being in the middle will give you some flex time should you have to slow down for any reason. For those of us in the back of the pack, we need to train for a at least a 15-min mile to allow for potty breaks or anything else that might come up. It's a very doable time and we have plenty of time to train for it.

Just a side note, my 2nd marathon was the Goofy a couple of years ago. My training sucked (for lack of a better word). I was having big time foot issues and my longest run was 16 miles. I did this twice. I had to miss the 18-miler for some reason and I just could not do the 20-mile training run (did 16 instead). I did not think I would be able to complete the marathon portion of the Goofy. However, I decided I would try to see how far I could get and not worry about finishing. I think I took the pressure off of myself at that moment. On race day, I went out slowly and finished the marathon at ~6:50:00. It was definitely not a PR but I didn't hurt at all. I was hop, skipping and jumping around the loop in EPCOT at the end. I felt GREAT. I attribute my success to the few long runs I did, the short runs during training weeks and the all the cross-training I did. The point to this story is that it's not all about the long runs you do. The other parts of the training - short runs and cross-training will help carry you through the marathon as well.

One more side note - I just did the Little Rock marathon in March (hills!). I missed the 16 and 18 mile long runs but did one 20-miler (with hills) and I finished OK. My short runs on hills and bike rides carried me to the finish line.

I have a question on the merchandise. I am pretty sure I won't be able to go to the expo until Friday before, is it going to be slim pickings for merchandise. By the time I get out of work and get a flight out the expo will be closed on Thursday :(

If you go right at opening on Friday you should have a pretty good pick still. Since the 1/2 is on Saturday most people are probably following a similar travel schedule so they only have to take one day off work. By the afternoon I would imagine things would be pretty picked over, at least for the 1/2 and Goofy Merchandise. Mickey stuff might hang on a little longer since the marathon isn't until Sunday.

I don't think it will be an issue. For the last several years, I've been going to the expo on Fridays and have found plenty of merchandise. I will say, though, that if you want to get some type of finisher's shirt, go ahead and get what you want because some sizes might sell out - especially with this being the 20th anniversary of the Mickey.

Some people say that this will be a jinx but I think it's just the opposite - you have confidence that you will finish and you will! If for some reason you don't or decide you don't want the merchandise, any Disney shop at WDW will refund your money. I once bought two of the same shirts at the expo (thinking a friend might want one - but she didn't) and I returned one at the hotel retail shop after the race. The lady at the register said I could have returned it at the airport Disney shop as well.

I have another training related question... There's always talk of eating something during the race, whether a bar, block, this gu, etc. I'm really curious how this works-- I've brought water along when it's warmer, but nothing kills my desire to consume solids/semi-solids quite like running or any kind of exercise for that matter....

It's something you just end up getting used to doing because if you don't, you run out of energy and have a hard time continuing on. The good news is that there are dozens of different options for refueling. There are gels/goos in all kinds of different flavors and consistencies; chewable bloks that are like big gummi bears; jelly beans; salted potatoes; little packets of honey, etc. There are probably as many different opinions about the best options as there are runners. It really is something that you need to experiment with yourself on your long runs to find something that works for you. Personally, I use Clif Shots (goo), Clif Bloks, and Sport Beans.

I was wondering if any of you know when the marathon/half usually sell out. I want to sign up, but I don't want to sign up too early in case I chicken out! So I was hoping to get some more training in before registering.

Hi all. New user here. I am seriously contemplating running the Full in 2013. I have run off and on for a few years, but I got serious back in January and run 20 miles/week now and completed a 10k.

I just worry that I won't keep up with training or I won't be able to finish. I had planned on a half marathon in October and then signing up for the WDW marathon if I felt good after that, but I don't think registration will hold out that long!

Also, I am a lone runner, so while I will probably have my husband and family to cheer me on, I will be running 26.2 miles by myself and I wonder how that is mentally. Any thoughts? Words of wisdom? Encouragement?

The environment at these Disney races is great. People talk to each other on the course a lot, and there's great entertainment. Last year my brother and I got separated at mile 6, found each other at mile 10, and then he took off for the last 3 alone. During those 7 miles that I was alone, I still had a blast just because there was so much going on around me.

The best motivation for me to keep up with training is to actually have a race on the calendar...and I think there's a real chance that the full will sell out quicker this year since it's the 20th anniversary. :confused3 But I can totally understand wanting to complete a half first. Maybe just keep an eye on runDisney.com and see when it gets up to 50% full, then you can decide?

It's not being a control freak, I prefer to think of it as being practical and prepared... I can't imagine doing a lot of runs over 20 miles, but at the same time I'll be the first person freaking out that I can't do it because I didn't practice. On the up side, signing up for the full makes the half seem sooo much shorter. Ideally I'd like something that's 3 days of running per week, since I know I can definitely handle that, although today's return to (f)unemployment has certainly freed up my schedule...

Valuable lesson learned today while running: when I see a snake, do not panic, scream and run into the street and oncoming traffic. This can cause some additional problems, though did result in a 27 second faster 5 miles.

I think the Jeff Galloway marathon plans are 3 days per week...2 of the days being 30-45 minute runs, so maybe that will work for you.

As far as fueling - this is something you want to figure out during your long training runs. I'd suggest buying 1 each of any fuel you're interested in - Honey Stingers, Hammer Gel, Shot Bloks, Gu, etc. and see what you like best...what brand, flavors, gu vs. something solid, etc. You should be able to find these at Dick's Sporting Goods. In my case, for example, Honey Stingers were too sweet (wish I knew that before buying an entire freaking box of them :headache:), Hammer Gel was too watery. I like Gu but not the mint flavor - very tasty but makes my stomach burn. Chocolate is also tasty, but reminds me too much of frosting - vanilla is best for me, but Gu chomps are my absolute favorite. I never would've figured this out if I hadn't experimented. It's recommended that you fuel every 45 minutes during your long run, but that's something you may want to play with too.

Oh, and about running 26 miles in a training run... If I am finishing that distance somebody better be there at the end with a big shiny medal to put around my neck. :rotfl:

Snakes?! :scared1: Yikes, I just have the occasional deer to contend with!

LOL at the part in bold. :rotfl:

If you go right at opening on Friday you should have a pretty good pick still. Since the 1/2 is on Saturday most people are probably following a similar travel schedule so they only have to take one day off work. By the afternoon I would imagine things would be pretty picked over, at least for the 1/2 and Goofy Merchandise. Mickey stuff might hang on a little longer since the marathon isn't until Sunday.

Totally agree with stitchfan18 - the earlier in the day you can get to the expo, the better. I got to the 2012 expo at opening on Saturday and by then it was only relay runners and non-Goofy marathoners. There was a pretty good selection left by then. I've heard that whatever's left over at the end of the weekend goes to outlets in Orlando, but I'm not sure about that.

I was wondering if any of you know when the marathon/half usually sell out. I want to sign up, but I don't want to sign up too early in case I chicken out! So I was hoping to get some more training in before registering.

I think this varies. I remember a friend of mine getting shut out of the 2009 half - she had wanted to sign up in May and it was already full. Last year I think the races weren't full until December, but I could be wrong. Since it's the 20th anniversary of the Marathon, it very well may sell out quicker this year. :confused3

Go to a running store and grab a variety of small packs and try things. Gels are not "solids" so that might be more your alley. I use the "honey stingers" and they're like gummy candies but they taste really good :) I have heard good things from athletes about organic honey sticks but you have to buy them at a honey farm & make sure they're pasteurized. Try different things on your longer training runs until you find something you like. I never used to like to take anything but I do now.

I've run the marathon alone for the last 3 years, and I'll do it again this year. My family joins me for a vacation, but I'm the only full runner.

While I do like to see family at times out on the course, I really enjoy running by myself. I have a few hours of "me time", surrounded by 20k others.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone! I am not too worried about running by myself since I can always chat up a random stranger or stop and get a picture with my favorite characters! :thumbsup2

I appreciate all the encouragement. I am going to keep running and training and will watch the WDW website if the races start getting full. I really want to try for the full for some reason, though the half would make more sense. But I have 8.5 months to train!

I'm just catching up after a busy couple of weeks and wanted to weigh in on the long run discussion. After my first marathon last fall I am a big believer in the Galloway plan. I signed up and trained with a Galloway group because I knew making the jump from half marathons to the full would require more structured training.

Our training schedule did have us do 26 miles 3 weeks before the marathon date. I really didn't want to do it - I wanted to do the actual distance for the first time on race day, not earlier! But I had the opportunity to talk with Jeff himself and because I was worried about making the time cutoff for my race (6:30 in hilly Atlanta) he said it would really help me to get my legs used to going for that long. So I did that training run, but ended up not finishing. I jumped in the roving support vehicle about mile 24.5 because my feet and ankles were really hurting. As soon as I took my shoes off the pain went away, so I was able to figure out that it was a width issue with the swelling that occurred with the higher mileage. It hadn't bothered me as much on the 20 or 23 mile runs, but on the 26 miler it was so bad I was afraid I'd hurt something if I continued then I wouldn't be able to do the race. I went right to the store (while my feet were still swollen!) and got some shoes that felt much better and wore them on a couple of shorter runs before the marathon. Race day I finished with no pain at all.

If I hadn't done that last long run I would not have known my shoes were an issue until the race itself. I felt bad enough not finishing the training run (especially when I got to the finish and found out they had medals for finishers), but I would have really kicked myself if I hadn't finished the marathon.

The long runs helped me mentally too. My "wall" came at about mile 16 on the 20 miler and I was so thankful to have an experienced marathoner stay with me and get me through that run, but then I was worn out the rest of the day. I realized I hadn't had as many calories as usual that day, so after that I was more diligent about making sure I had some gu and gatorade about every hour. I had a great 23 mile run 3 weeks later with no issues and felt great all day afterward. That gave me the mental confidence I needed.

Faster runners probably don't have the same things to work through since they aren't out there as long, but for me the rehearsals definitely helped!

Not sure if I will remember everything, but I wanted to comment on a few questions!!
I have not run my first half yet, but my longest runs were 10 miles, one being a race, and I totally felt like I could do a Half that day. I ran 10 miles 3 times. I do plan to run 20 miles a few times when I train for the marathon, or as close as I can get anyway, following a hal Higdon plan , I think beginner 2.
I use sports beans when I run more than an hour. they don't upset my stomach, and I just pop one in when the flavor fades from the last one!
As for races being a rip off, obviously those people never ran in one! 'nuff said!
:rotfl:

Just saw this cool little tidbit on the run disney fb page:

262 days until the marathon and 26.2 fun miles!

I think I wore out my shoes doing the half marathon last Saturday. They don't even feel good to walk around in. :sad1: Monday I have an appointment with a new orthotist. Hopefully he can do something to my orthotics and then it's off to get new shoes. These ones really didn't last long. I only got them at the end of January and haven't logged a ton of mileage on them, except for 2 half marathons.

I can't do the marathon!!! :sad1::sad1::sad1: Dh's company's Annual General Meeting starts on the day of the marathon and he absolutely can't miss it. I have kids who can't be left alone for 7 hours while I do it. They're older but not old enough that I'd leave them alone for 7 hours in a sea of people at WDW. My mom could come but she's in her 70s and I don't think would do well navigating those kinds of crowds. Plus, we would have driven down. Dh would have done the driving while I slept. I don't want to drive 15 hours then try to run a marathon. It just won't work. Sooooooooo disappointed!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter