Official WDW Marathon Weekend 2013 Thread-Part 2

Okay, I know I've asked some stupid questions as a running newbie, but here comes the stupidest one. What would one put in bag check? I wasn't planning on using it because I couldn't think of anything I would need after the race. Of course, I've only got two 5K's under my belt, so maybe I am missing something major. Thanks! :)

Common things.

On a cold/cool morning a wind shell or warm ups you want to keep
Post race dry shirt
Post race shoes
Recovery drink
Room key - though I would not recommend that

I will walk with you! What time do we have to be in our corrals? Is there a cut off?
Andrea :)

We need to be in our corrals at 5am.

There are some of us (including Mickeyfan74-Colleen) from the Donald's Defiant Dashers group who are meeting at the corner of Disney Vacation Club Way and Bonnet Creek Parkway (on the corner closest to POFQ) at 4:45am on both the half and full mornings. That'll give us 15 minutes to get to our corrals, which are super close to that spot. :thumbsup2

This is the map I use to look at the area..this link will hopefully take you to the intersection of DVC Way and BC Pkwy. You can see that there is a grassy area on that corner closest to POFQ that we can meet at. And then all we have to do is cross over BC Pkwy, cross that bridge, and the corrals will be right in front of us.

Link: DVC Way & BC Pkwy

Thanks Coach. That picture made me laugh. A big giant wet SpongeBob might be nice to hug if it was really hot! I'll take the portable version though, too!

On a side note, it is about as far from Florida weather here as you can get. Snowing, with snow on the ground, temp sitting at -10c (14F). I don't want to run tonight when it is colder. Have 6k tempo on plan. Florida is sounding mighty good right now!!!

I will walk with you! What time do we have to be in our corrals? Is there a cut off?
Andrea :)

I would still try to be in the corrals coming from the OKW area by 0510 or so. Some of the front corrals will fill and folks be diverted backwards at some point in time. Also, you may need to walk in front of the start to get to the corrals. If you cut the margin too close you may not bae able to get to your corral.

That's really not a stupid question! :)

I have never checked a bag, and won't this time either. After races I am not one to hang around. I get my medal, get water (I skip the food as it's never been stuff I want), get my pic taken, and get outta there! I like to get back to my resort asap, shower and eat a hot meal.

Think of it as anything you want after the race, but absolutely can't afford to lose. Things happen, stuf falls out of bags, bags are incrrectly passed out, etc. Although it isn't often, sometimes people lose everything they put in their bag.

The temps usually dictate what I put in my bag, but it always has a change of clothes.

I always put some compression and an extra pair of shoes, a clean shirt a facecloth to get the salt off of my face and a treat (snickers, twix, etc.)

Sabeking said:
Cheesy question. Has this group ever done anything to identify each other on race day like a colored shoe string or mark on the arm? I think it would be kind of cool to cheer each other on!

I'm going to put a lime green Mickey head on the back of my shirt along with my dis name... Be sure and Say hi if you see me!

Today is my last 5 miler! Actually, only a few more runs to go.

Today--5

Saturday--10

Monday--4

Wed or Thurs--2

What's left on your training calendar?

Today I did a quick 4-miler (30 mins).

I'm sticking fairly close to a Galloway time-goal plan. Tomorrow I'm going to run 10K or so (~50 minutes).

Sunday - 4 miles
Tuesday - 5-6 miles
Wednesday - 5K (traveling to WDW so I hope to squeeze this in early)
Friday - 4 miles
Sunday - Full marathon

Question for you guys...my training in December was not so great! I did a half on December 2nd, and took a couple days off, followed by two 3 mile easy runs. Then, my gums got infected and is as on antibiotics for over a week, similar to getting wisdom teeth, but it was my back molars. Couldn't run at all for a good bit due to pain (it was a sharp pain through my mouth every time I hit the pavement!), then had about a week of only making it 2 miles before the side effects of antibiotics did me in. I got in a 6 mile run right before Christmas, and had every intention of an 8-10 mile run last weekend...but that just didn't happen thanks to holiday parties...I got plenty of 30-45 minute runs in, but twice when I was all laced up, the DH called to say we were meeting friends in an hour and I was happy just to squeeze in there miles!

So, do I squeeze in a long run this weekend? If so, how far? Or do I assume that doing a half five weeks before the WDW half will leave me fine? I'm in Corral D, but plan on taking this one slow and stopping for pictures!

Cheesy question. Has this group ever done anything to identify each other on race day like a colored shoe string or mark on the arm? I think it would be kind of cool to cheer each other on!

Nothing's cheesier than what I'll be wearing, at least for the half!

-bright yellow Reverse Flash T-shirt (over run shirt) (a comic book character--easy to Google image if you're curious)
-red shorts
-lime green knee-high socks
-blue propeller beanie hat
-(for the last mile or so) a red cape

I'm going much more conservative for the full. I'll be wearing a T-shirt over my run shirt that says "Cool Daddy Alexa Approved" with a picture of my kiddo on it.

If you see me, come say hello! I'd love to put faces with names!

Dave

I have a slightly ridiculous sounding balloon ladies question.

What KIND of balloons do they have? Are they the typical latex balloons, the traditional Mickey Head balloons, or some other sort of balloon?

Are they only at the very back of the pack, so you only encounter them as you get picked up?

Also, I recall reading that the Pace Team also uses balloons, what kind are they and where are they located?

Are there any other balloons anywhere?

My running buddy (BFF) has a severe latex allergy, and balloons have the potential to cause a major issue for her. Since we can't get the world to stop using balloons (lol) the best we can do is be informed and keep as much distance between her and the 'orbs of death' as possible. I promised her some time ago I would find out about this and now I am... lol.

We will be running towards the back half of E or front half of F (we were placed in different corrals despite submitting identical times, so we will find out at the expo whether I can move up or she can move back) and do not anticipate a true concern with getting picked up, barring an injury or something similar.

Second Disney marathon. I haven't really been running since October. Going to take it easy going. The first one was a mess so hoping this one will be better.

Good luck to everyone!

The temps usually dictate what I put in my bag, but it always has a change of clothes.

I always put some compression and an extra pair of shoes, a clean shirt a facecloth to get the salt off of my face and a treat (snickers, twix, etc.)

I've always wondered about this...where do people change when they bring a change of clothes? I'm with PP, I have never done bag check for any race. I use the snacks and water they pass out, take a quick picture and go back to a nice hot shower and fresh clothes. I think the worse part after the princess was getting off the bus at the resort. Ouch. One of the maintenance people was ribbing us asking if we had just done the "marathon" (had to tell him it was a half). When we said yes, he said he could always tell who had done the "marathon." "You always looks so fresh and energized before the race and then you're all crawling when you get back." That was a long walk back to our room.

From the race instructions........

Disney Family Fun Run 5K Spectator Viewing
Spectators are encouraged to view the 5K start and finish
from the Imagine Lot at Epcot ®. There will be no viewing
areas along the course or from within Epcot ®.

:coffee: Yeesh, no more reading the race instructions in the morning. Better read them again to see what else I missed. Thanks for the help!

I've always wondered about this...where do people change when they bring a change of clothes? I'm with PP, I have never done bag check for any race. I use the snacks and water they pass out, take a quick picture and go back to a nice hot shower and fresh clothes. I think the worse part after the princess was getting off the bus at the resort. Ouch. One of the maintenance people was ribbing us asking if we had just done the "marathon" (had to tell him it was a half). When we said yes, he said he could always tell who had done the "marathon." "You always looks so fresh and energized before the race and then you're all crawling when you get back." That was a long walk back to our room.

Well, I am a guy so in the lot... But I keep the same shorts on. If cold, I have pants I slide up over the running shorts

McDuck said:
Okay, I know I've asked some stupid questions as a running newbie, but here comes the stupidest one. What would one put in bag check? I wasn't planning on using it because I couldn't think of anything I would need after the race. Of course, I've only got two 5K's under my belt, so maybe I am missing something major. Thanks! :)

Change of shoes, dry clothes, jacket, room key, cell phone - all things that could go in a bag. At a minimum, I always have a set of dry clothes and a pair of sandals or flip-flops.

I have a slightly ridiculous sounding balloon ladies question.

What KIND of balloons do they have? Are they the typical latex balloons, the traditional Mickey Head balloons, or some other sort of balloon?

Are they only at the very back of the pack, so you only encounter them as you get picked up?

Also, I recall reading that the Pace Team also uses balloons, what kind are they and where are they located?

Are there any other balloons anywhere?

My running buddy (BFF) has a severe latex allergy, and balloons have the potential to cause a major issue for her. Since we can't get the world to stop using balloons (lol) the best we can do is be informed and keep as much distance between her and the 'orbs of death' as possible. I promised her some time ago I would find out about this and now I am... lol.

We will be running towards the back half of E or front half of F (we were placed in different corrals despite submitting identical times, so we will find out at the expo whether I can move up or she can move back) and do not anticipate a true concern with getting picked up, barring an injury or something similar.

She can move back with no issue or question required, you cannot move forward unless you have a race 10k or longer supporting a faster time. I would suggest the former.

With regard to the balloons, yes latex. You will have the 5 hour and 5:15 pace team to dodge.

Question for you guys...my training in December was not so great! I did a half on December 2nd, and took a couple days off, followed by two 3 mile easy runs. Then, my gums got infected and is as on antibiotics for over a week, similar to getting wisdom teeth, but it was my back molars. Couldn't run at all for a good bit due to pain (it was a sharp pain through my mouth every time I hit the pavement!), then had about a week of only making it 2 miles before the side effects of antibiotics did me in. I got in a 6 mile run right before Christmas, and had every intention of an 8-10 mile run last weekend...but that just didn't happen thanks to holiday parties...I got plenty of 30-45 minute runs in, but twice when I was all laced up, the DH called to say we were meeting friends in an hour and I was happy just to squeeze in there miles!

So, do I squeeze in a long run this weekend? If so, how far? Or do I assume that doing a half five weeks before the WDW half will leave me fine? I'm in Corral D, but plan on taking this one slow and stopping for pictures!

I would limit the weekend run to 6-7 miles. From that, you can spring into the half next weekend. Slow up in the race.

Finished my last 5 miler:cool1: 70 degrees with 85% humidity--it was rough! Thankfully no sun, but I am soaked. Whew!

She can move back with no issue or question required, you cannot move forward unless you have a race 10k or longer supporting a faster time. I would suggest the former.

With regard to the balloons, yes latex. You will have the 5 hour and 5:15 pace team to dodge.

We ran a 10k and posted identical times (well, 7 seconds apart - 1:19:50 and 1:19:57. We are not fast runners.) They were submitted to Disney. But we're 3,000 bib numbers apart!

We're running the half, not the full -- assuming we'll be dodging the 3:00 Pace Team then? As long as the balloons don't pop, she will likely be okay, but apparently breathing is important to running ;) so we will watch and try to stay far away.

ETA: Forgot to say THANKS!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter