Official WDW Marathon Weekend 2013 Thread-Part 2

Ok, I want to take a moment and tip my cap to all those runners who have trained over the six months in all types of weather: blistering heat, suffocating humidity, and now rain, wind and snow. I live in the Seattle area and I've had a pretty easy time of it. Our summer was late, as always, but perfect temps and we nearly set a record for lack of rain. Now we are seeing more rain and pretty chilly (40s) but we probably won't see snow before the race and we love to layer.
I'm bringing this up because I just stepped outside and it sucks out there. Misty rain, 41 degrees, foggy. And I do not want to lace up my shoes and run. But I will. Because of you. You have gotten up early and run in the dark before it gets to be 110. You are out there in the snow, somehow getting your miles in, even though you can't feel your legs anymore. Some of you may be even running in areas where sandy hit, haven't had power, but by god, you are running.

I salute you.

Where's the "like" button? :) Well said Goofierunner! On Sunday when I was not in the mood for my long run, I thought about all of you up north that we're going to run in the cold and snow instead of the near perfect conditions I had. That thought got me out of my funk and I got it done. You guys are awesome.

To everyone suffering injuries, hope you're all well and on your way to a speedy recovery!!!!

I kept thinking, geez, no one has written on the board and then I found this. Ugh. Feel like a dumdum. LOL

I saw that and I'm hoping the price holds out until my next paycheck. I want to get it for DH as a Christmas gift. All the days off that the kids had I was stuck home with them not getting paid. Sandy and Thanksgiving took a toll on my wallet, :( .

I haven't been able to run as much as I want to. Last week I did 6 on Tuesday, 2 on Wednesday and started to get hot/ cold chills and walked home, 2 on Thursday and was sick on Saturday from eating too much on Thanksgiving. I really overdid it. This week ,DH has been staying some nights at the office so I haven't had an opportunity to get a run in. I wish i lived closer to my mom so I could bring the kids there.

Hoping to get back to my schedule soon or convince DH that we need a treadmill at home.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.

I have not posted in awhile; just reading BUT I was wondering where you were PRMAMI! Good to see you back!

FINALLY got our flights for marathon weekend! The prices were so outrageous, I thought I might have to give up on doing the WDW 1/2 (only my 2nd 1/2 ever, but it has been a huge goal of mine). Now I can stop stressing about flights and concentrate on running!:cool1:

well I ran my first race since hurting my knee. I was a half marathon and I was able to shave about 10 minutes off my time from my last half that was in the summer. It is funny how you time can change when you don't get elbowed in the face and can just run.

It was also nice to run with a fellow wisher RUNROOKIE. I just wish I could have gone a little bit faster but I didn't want to stress my leg and by mile 8 or 9 it started to bother me. I wasn't a hurt kind of bother but more like a my muscles are not fully to where they were before I hurt myself and I know it will all come back. Hey it was the longest distance I have done in a while.

Courtney:sulley:

Well, add me to the list of injured runners. I went to the ortho today for some hip pain that I've been having since my half marathon 3.5 weeks ago. He took X-rays to look for a stress fracture and didn't see anything but said he wasn't convinced I don't have one hiding in there. But he said I have a fair amount of muscle/tissue inflammation and is sending me to PT.

However, I'm not allowed to run for two weeks. I am allowed to bike and possibly use the elliptical if it doesn't hurt.

I want to bike as much as possible to maintain my fitness level in the event that he clears me to complete training and run the marathon. The farthest I've run so far is 14 miles. (I had to cut last weekend's 16 miler short due to pain.) Should I correlate the miles or time I would've spent running to the distance/time I complete on the bike? I'll ask my physical therapist about this when I see her tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone here has ever been in a similar position and what you'd recommend.

The efforts are not 100% correlated. There are two things that I would caution as you work through the next couple weeks. First and foremost, make time to heal. That may mean scrapping the long activity so that you body can use that energy for healing your hip. Think in terms of cycling for an hour through the week and maybe 90-120 minutes on the long ride. Any more and you may delay your healing just a bit. Also, your sitz bones (the place where the saddle hit your tail) will really appreciate smaller bites on the saddle.

If you really feel the urge to keep something long over the next couple weekends, translate the miles to time and just ride for time. Keep the effort conversational and medium on the legs.

Again, I think I would reserve long cycling for after this two week period in the event the doc says no go for another 2 weeks or so. You will not lose much if any marathon paced fitness with 2 weeks off.

regul8ter18 said:
well I ran my first race since hurting my knee. I was a half marathon and I was able to shave about 10 minutes off my time from my last half that was in the summer. It is funny how you time can change when you don't get elbowed in the face and can just run.

It was also nice to run with a fellow wisher RUNROOKIE. I just wish I could have gone a little bit faster but I didn't want to stress my leg and by mile 8 or 9 it started to bother me. I wasn't a hurt kind of bother but more like a my muscles are not fully to where they were before I hurt myself and I know it will all come back. Hey it was the longest distance I have done in a while.

Yes! The race was so much more fun running it with you that Saturday!!

I know I will probably be told to suck it up buttercup, but this cold weather running is really messing with my motivation. My thyroid wrecks havoc on my temperature regulation. I actually do better with heat than cold though. I have a broken dreadmill in the garage. If I can get that working, will it mess up me up for race day if most of my weekly base mileage is on that? I will still force myself out on long run days, but I'm figuring treadmill miles are better than no or minimal miles.

I'm praying we don't have a sleet/snow marathon. I don't know if I would be able to cope.

I am hoping this cold snap goes away and I can just get past this. I'm supposed to be in a warm area!

What socks work well to keep feet warm and blister free? Is smartwool the answer or are there others that are great and not as well advertised?

Good grief this thread moves fast! :)

This time last year before the half, both DH and I had the flu which became bronchitis, but we were all better by the time the half rolled around. You have time to make a great recovery too, just rest and take care of yourself, that's the most important right now.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Thank you for the encouragement! I am back to running as of yesterday. I have to figure out when I'm going to do the 10/20 that I postponed from last weekend. Maybe this weekend, but I don't know if I'm up for it yet. Argh. Anyway, thanks. :)

... I think a lot of people visualize running down MSUSA toward the castle, but not the finish line. So if this helps anyone...here you go!

IMG_0402.JPG

I CANNOT wait to see that!!!!! Thanks for posting! :)

Oh good, part 2! Hopefully I can keep up with this thread better than I did with the first part! ...

Ditto, but so far, not so good for me! Lol ;)

Does anyone else have race nightmares? I have these terrible dreams where I get to the start of the marathon and then I realize that I forgot to go to the expo to pick up my race bib so I can't participate.................or that I get too slow and I am not allowed to finish the race. I wish I had normal dreams.:confused3

I started having race dreams I think in the spring or early summer. Lol! I have them now and then. I know I'll have more as we get closer. Yikes!

I know I will probably be told to suck it up buttercup, but this cold weather running is really messing with my motivation. My thyroid wrecks havoc on my temperature regulation. I actually do better with heat than cold though. I have a broken dreadmill in the garage. If I can get that working, will it mess up me up for race day if most of my weekly base mileage is on that? I will still force myself out on long run days, but I'm figuring treadmill miles are better than no or minimal miles.

I'm praying we don't have a sleet/snow marathon. I don't know if I would be able to cope.

I am hoping this cold snap goes away and I can just get past this. I'm supposed to be in a warm area!

What socks work well to keep feet warm and blister free? Is smartwool the answer or are there others that are great and not as well advertised?

Hang in there!! I'm no expert but I would agree that treadmill miles are better than no miles at all. You gotta do what you gotta do sometimes, even if it's not "perfect" training by some standards.

I live near Charlotte and it has been chilly lately. It was frosty this morning. I actually prefer the cold though (I have thyroid issues, too.)

I am with you on not wanting a sleet/snow marathon weekend though! 2010 was rough. I did the half that weekend. I don't know how I'd cope with having to get through the full in that kind of weather.

I wear Balega Hidden Comfort socks, and I love them! But my friend tried them and didn't like them. It can be a trial and error thing and what works great for one may not work for another. Good luck!

FOr us first timers, just remember folks, a wise man once said

"There will be some days when I don't know if I can run a marathon. There will be a lifetime knowing that I have"

No idea who that wise man was, but it's a great quote.

I send the picture of the finish line to a friend running it as well:)

Suck it up Buttercup!:cool1:

Seriously, we are all an experiment of one and different folks have different comfort levels. Be prepared to run with a start in the mid 40's. Learn what you need to do to stay warm in a slight breeze at 45F and 90% humidity.

Most folks will wear a throw down sweatshirt and something for the breeze. A trash sack works great for the breeze. Hands, feet and head are the other key items. Painter's gloves are a great add for the hands. They are cheap and you can throw them out once you warm. Feet. I have used duct tape to cover the top mesh - then pulled the tape off at the start of the race. You do not want to go more than 15 minutes or so before untagging so that you feet do not become wet and blisters become a possibility. The head is up to you. I run hot so on a cold day it's an ear band and a runners cap for me - just something to keep the top warm.

As far as sock, wool is a great answer. THough, you really need to train in them. I have ac couple sets but rarely pull them out.

The cold will be over once the sun comes up - I promise. I am actually more worried about race day turning out like 07 where the temps started in the mid 60s and worked up. It was not a very friendly race for runners.

"There will be some days when I don't know if I can run a marathon. There will be a lifetime knowing that I have"

i love this. i'm feeling really depressed with my knee injury and so seeing this helped. right now i'm really not sure that i'll be able to do this run. i mean, i can't even WALK well right now. but once i finally do i'll always know i did it! :banana:

aw, there's got to be a nicer way to say suck it up. but...yeah, suck it up. you will warm up eventually when you are running a marathon! plus, once the sun comes up you won't be cold. what if you do a good warm up while you are still in your house before you head out? that way you'll be nice and warm rather than have to wait til you get warm during your run?
Suck it up Buttercup!:cool1:

Seriously, we are all an experiment of one and different folks have different comfort levels. Be prepared to run with a start in the mid 40's. Learn what you need to do to stay warm in a slight breeze at 45F and 90% humidity.

Most folks will wear a throw down sweatshirt and something for the breeze. A trash sack works great for the breeze. Hands, feet and head are the other key items. Painter's gloves are a great add for the hands. They are cheap and you can throw them out once you warm. Feet. I have used duct tape to cover the top mesh - then pulled the tape off at the start of the race. You do not want to go more than 15 minutes or so before untagging so that you feet do not become wet and blisters become a possibility. The head is up to you. I run hot so on a cold day it's an ear band and a runners cap for me - just something to keep the top warm.

As far as sock, wool is a great answer. THough, you really need to train in them. I have ac couple sets but rarely pull them out.

The cold will be over once the sun comes up - I promise. I am actually more worried about race day turning out like 07 where the temps started in the mid 60s and worked up. It was not a very friendly race for runners.

good advice:thumbsup2 hey, if coach says suck it up, then suck it up :)

i agree to train first with the wool socks. you don't want to be stuck in wool socks after you've warmed up and be sweating like a crazy person!

still can't run yet. my knee is starting to feel better thank goodness and am able to walk to/from the car to school (i teach a mommy and me class) and work (i work in manhattan) to home without having to resort to a limp.

i am thinking that once i can run, perhaps i will go to a run/walk/run approach. maybe run to each mile marker and then walk for a tenth of a mile before starting to run again to the next mile marker?

hamstring tendonitis is turning out to be a real witch. just feel better already! i have been told by my PT that advil while running is not a good idea. i wonder about voltaren gel or something during the run? to help with the pain during the race?

That's awesome! So glad that you are feeling better. :)

...I CANNOT wait to see that!!!!! Thanks for posting! :)...

No prob! I also cannot wait to see that...:hyper:

I've seen variations of that quote before...it's a great one. :thumbsup2

i am thinking that once i can run, perhaps i will go to a run/walk/run approach. maybe run to each mile marker and then walk for a tenth of a mile before starting to run again to the next mile marker?

hamstring tendonitis is turning out to be a real witch. just feel better already! i have been told by my PT that advil while running is not a good idea. i wonder about voltaren gel or something during the run? to help with the pain during the race?

The run/walk/run approach you're describing is similar to what I did for the 2012 Marathon - I'd run to each mile marker, take a picture (of course :teeth:) and then walk for a minute or so before starting to run again. I also walked through the water stops...it worked for me. Though maybe you can't accurately judge based on my experience since I also stopped for, like, every single character. :cool1: But I think what you're describing is a good idea. Try it out in training and see if you like it once you start up again.

Not sure what voltaren gel is, but at Disney races volunteers are armed with giant bottles of Biofreeze, similar to Bengay I think. I slapped it on and didn't really think it helped all that much, but I know other people swear by it. :confused3

I hope you feel better soon!!

i love this. i'm feeling really depressed with my knee injury and so seeing this helped. right now i'm really not sure that i'll be able to do this run. i mean, i can't even WALK well right now. but once i finally do i'll always know i did it! :banana:

aw, there's got to be a nicer way to say suck it up. but...yeah, suck it up. you will warm up eventually when you are running a marathon! plus, once the sun comes up you won't be cold. what if you do a good warm up while you are still in your house before you head out? that way you'll be nice and warm rather than have to wait til you get warm during your run?

good advice:thumbsup2 hey, if coach says suck it up, then suck it up :)

i agree to train first with the wool socks. you don't want to be stuck in wool socks after you've warmed up and be sweating like a crazy person!

still can't run yet. my knee is starting to feel better thank goodness and am able to walk to/from the car to school (i teach a mommy and me class) and work (i work in manhattan) to home without having to resort to a limp.

As stated above, the gel used at Disney is BioFreeze. Just make sure that when applying that you do not rub your brow until after the next water stop. It will transfer to the forehead and you will get a case of burning red eye as a result.

With regard to running a mile then walking - that is a great option if you have been running continuously prior to the injury. I would attempt to pick the run back up in a minute rather than by distance. I would also add water stations to the walk just to keep the legs fresher. Note that the run a mile walk a minute can be a little much so feel free to back off the distance a bit if needed.

Good afternoon, marathoners!

Next January's marathon will be my first Disney marathon. Overall, the course doesn't look too hilly but it looks like between miles 12 and 16, there are the two biggest inclines on the course. On the map it looks like part of that stretch is in Animal Kingdom.

Does anybody have any info regarding what to expect?

Thanks!

Good afternoon, marathoners!

Next January's marathon will be my first Disney marathon. Overall, the course doesn't look too hilly but it looks like between miles 12 and 16, there are the two biggest inclines on the course. On the map it looks like part of that stretch is in Animal Kingdom.

Does anybody have any info regarding what to expect?

Thanks!

ADDED - Meant to say first that the course is really flat compared with many. The elevation changes less than 60 overall.

That section is rolling, more down to the creeks. Remember that the elevation data comes from the USGS quads maps and those have not been updated for a couple decades - so you are seeing the original lay of the land.

For a point of reference, all hills are at

Mile 1 - Overpass over the exit into Epcot Parking.
Mile 4.5 - The water bridge - a viaduct under Seven Seas Lagoon. Coming out of this is the steepest incline of the race
Mile 15 - Overpass over Buena Vista
Mile 16 - Overpass over World Drive
Mile 21.4 - Right hand turn from Osceola onto World - this turn is bankd at a 15 degree incline and then rises up and over the south entrance to Hollywood Studios.
Mile 22 - Coming up to Buena Vista Dr off of World Dr
Mile 24.4 and 24.8 - The bridges of Crescent lake. Steeper than you remember walking around the lake the day before.
Mile 25 - The bridges between Great Britain and France in Epcot
Mile 25.3 - The draw bridge at China

Also each oak has a hill. The marquee building (Castle, SpaceShip Earth, Hat and Tree of Life) are higher than the rest of the park.

here is a link to a map

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/156764913/

Thanks, Coach Charles!
That elevation map is deceiving.
At any rate, I'm glad I've been doing my mid-week hill runs.

Good luck, everybody!

I have a layering question. We're running the Half for Team Gleason to assist ALS patients and the only request Team Gleason had was that we wear one of their tech shirts. We bought the ladies' one for me, and it's a V-neck. I'm scared to wear a long sleeve shirt underneath it as I usually get really hot while running and by no later than mile 3 am removing my running jacket to tie it around my waist, where it's there in case I chill down again. But I'm also scared to run with my upper chest exposed by a V-neck. Is there any sort of garment or such I can wear that will cover my neck but not have my arms covered if I reach that hot point? Like a high collar sleeveless tech shirt, or some type of scarf/dickey thing? Thanks!!!

I have a layering question. We're running the Half for Team Gleason to assist ALS patients and the only request Team Gleason had was that we wear one of their tech shirts. We bought the ladies' one for me, and it's a V-neck. I'm scared to wear a long sleeve shirt underneath it as I usually get really hot while running and by no later than mile 3 am removing my running jacket to tie it around my waist, where it's there in case I chill down again. But I'm also scared to run with my upper chest exposed by a V-neck. Is there any sort of garment or such I can wear that will cover my neck but not have my arms covered if I reach that hot point? Like a high collar sleeveless tech shirt, or some type of scarf/dickey thing? Thanks!!!

I don't know if a running scarf/dickie exists. But I did do a search because I was curious, and I came across this strange fact:

"Running a marathon is an amazing physical feat. But running a marathon while knitting a scarf is extraordinary. British knitter, marathon runner, and tireless charity collector, Susie Hewer, holds the Guinness World Record for the longest scarf knitted while running a marathon. She knitted the scarf (1.62m (5ft 2in)) while running the Flora London marathon on April 13 2008.

As she described on her blog, the idea came from her combined love of knitting and running marathons and a desire to raise money for the Alzheimer's Research Trust, as she had watched her dear mother taken away by dementia."

:laughing:

dumbo_buddy said:

I was told that Ibuprofen and NSAIDs can sometimes facilitate inflammation and kidney issues when taken during physical activity. It can also interfere with the body's ability to heal the micro-tears that happen during running. It is not recommended to take them before or during workouts/runs.

I Googled "ibuprofen not recommended for runners" and found a ton of articles on this very topic.

McDuck said:

You could see about wearing a neck gaiter to see if that will do the trick for you.

I am not a female (and I don't play one on TV either), so my experience may not apply. But maybe you can find a thinner short-sleeved crew neck tech shirt and then just wear a pair of arm sleeves for the race. You can buy them or just take a pair of tube socks/tights and cut yourself a pair. Then you can wear them in the beginning and remove/discard them once you feel warm enough that you don't want your arms covered any longer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter