Official WDW Marathon Weekend 2013 Thread-Part 2

Funniest shirt I saw last year at the Half was "It's not a marathon until the nipples bleed". In regards to that, for the halfs I have gotten by with a generous application of vaseline. This year is my first full, and I am not sure it will be enough. What might work better? I have heard bandaids. Is bodyglide preferable over plain vaseline? Thanks!

I prefer BodyGlide since it's not nearly as messy and sticky as Vaseline. As long as it's not overly hot and humid (like 90 degrees and 90%), a good application of it before I head out will usually last me the entire race. BodyGlide also comes in little mini sticks that fit into a pocket. If you don't want to take the chance, then use band-aids or NipGuards.

sunshine girl said:
So what is the meetup? I missed the announcement. Just curious!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I heard about it in the Disney blog and then forgot to look for the sign up on Friday. I'm mad at myself.

good morning to those about to embark on a cool journey.

it is the the most fun race you'll ever do. enjoy every minute of it.

Remember just one step at a time when things get tough and you'll get there

can't wait for the race 21st birthday next year. will be there with bells on

Funniest shirt I saw last year at the Half was "It's not a marathon until the nipples bleed". In regards to that, for the halfs I have gotten by with a generous application of vaseline. This year is my first full, and I am not sure it will be enough. What might work better? I have heard bandaids. Is bodyglide preferable over plain vaseline? Thanks!

I use small water proof bandaids. As with using a bandaid on any area with hair, rip it off quickly when done to minimize pain. I never have any bleeding or anything when using them. Actually, the only thing I've packed so far is two bandaids because it's easy for me to forget those but would have a huge impact on my race! ;-)

For those that got into the meetup, what tips can you give? I'm not going for marathon weekend but I was watching the blog and twitter just to get an understanding of how it works. I was stalking both at the right time and still missed it. When I updated the blog page it completely skipped that post for some reason. So what did you do, see on twitter that sign up was open or update the blog page until you saw the post?

I use small water proof bandaids. As with using a bandaid on any area with hair, rip it off quickly when done to minimize pain. I never have any bleeding or anything when using them. Actually, the only thing I've packed so far is two bandaids because it's easy for me to forget those but would have a huge impact on my race! ;-)

*insert another use for KT tape here*

I take a strip of it, cut it lengthwise, then make roughly 20 + squares out of one strip. At about 50 cents for the strip, makes a little more than 10 runs(taking off afterwards) super cheap, and it stays on extremely well with ZERO chaffing. I actually prefer it more than bandaids as well as in the hot shower afterwards, with water on it, it peels right off, but stays on great.

Not sure where to post this but since this group has been so helpful for all my marathon questions, I thought someone might be able to shed some light on the kids' races.

Our son is doing the 200 meter Saturday at 11am. Do all the 4-6 year olds run at one time or do they break them down into different groups? (I'm trying to make a lunch reservation and wondering what time we could be at the Poly.)

<cut>
Thanks!

Daughter did the 200m last year. They run in batches of roughly 50-100 kids, and it took about 7 waves for her to run. Approximate roughly 5 mins per wave and yeah.... If you can get the front / first wave (past all the parents who get their kids there first and push and shove), you'll be fine for noonish, if not, you'll want a later lunch reservation for sure. I'd probably go with later though just to be on the safe side.

I use the small bandaids. About the size of a penny, keeps bloody pool from forming on your chest. Also avoids any goopy mess like Vaseline. Only pain is minimal chest hair interference when you pull them off. :)

I prefer BodyGlide since it's not nearly as messy and sticky as Vaseline. As long as it's not overly hot and humid (like 90 degrees and 90%), a good application of it before I head out will usually last me the entire race. BodyGlide also comes in little mini sticks that fit into a pocket. If you don't want to take the chance, then use band-aids or NipGuards.

*insert another use for KT tape here*

I take a strip of it, cut it lengthwise, then make roughly 20 + squares out of one strip. At about 50 cents for the strip, makes a little more than 10 runs(taking off afterwards) super cheap, and it stays on extremely well with ZERO chaffing. I actually prefer it more than bandaids as well as in the hot shower afterwards, with water on it, it peels right off, but stays on great.

I love the KT idea as it is sticky, micro fiber based (at least the pro) and would last the entire weekend.

Definitely avoid purposefully using Vaseline; go with body glide as it will not ruin the tach fabric over the goo. The obvious exception is if you find a hot spot during the race, all med tents offer Vaseline so in that case go with it.

For nips, I use small 1" band aids with a little body glide over them. I will let them stay for the weekend - assuming they stay on in the shower. I actually take care of the hair before coming to Disney to avoid the painful post race removal. Though, this year I may be looking at the new KT use.

With the temperatures looking to be rather favorable, what is your plan for throw down clothes? How much or how little are you going to layer up?

I love the KT idea as it is sticky, micro fiber based (at least the pro) and would last the entire weekend.

Definitely avoid purposefully using Vaseline; go with body glide as it will not ruin the tach fabric over the goo. The obvious exception is if you find a hot spot during the race, all med tents offer Vaseline so in that case go with it.

For nips, I use small 1" band aids with a little body glide over them. I will let them stay for the weekend - assuming they stay on in the shower. I actually take care of the hair before coming to Disney to avoid the painful post race removal. Though, this year I may be looking at the new KT use.

I have nothing but good things to say about the KT tape way (As I'm sure you can tell). I actually use the pro on injuries and the regular stuff as nip guards(as I have a ton and it's cheaper), no issues at all with it coming off. Completely customization in size as well for those who may larger areas covered. I haven't tried it on inner thighs for chaffing yet - gonna stick with bodyglide for that as it's proven well in the past.

Also, as Coach just eluded to - if you haven't users KT tape before, it will last several days without any edge feathering - but you need to apply it on 1) clean skin and in my experience 2) shaved skin(hair removal). I know guys are always hesitant to shave legs or parts of legs, but in the past year, I've shaved side of knee, thigh, and lower leg (for ankle stuff) and it's stayed for a week. If you want it to stick well, it's worth the clean shave.

mickeysgal said:
With the temperatures looking to be rather favorable, what is your plan for throw down clothes? How much or how little are you going to layer up?

If it's really in the mid-60s, I probably won't have any throw away clothes on. Maybe a top if there's a chill from the dew point, but certainly no bottoms.

Not sure where to post this but since this group has been so helpful for all my marathon questions, I thought someone might be able to shed some light on the kids' races.

Our son is doing the 200 meter Saturday at 11am. Do all the 4-6 year olds run at one time or do they break them down into different groups? (I'm trying to make a lunch reservation and wondering what time we could be at the Poly.)

One additional question, is it pretty obvious where to park and go to meet up with runners after the marathon on Sunday? Our parents aren't at all familiar with Disney. They don't have park tickets but would like to see my husband and I finish. If I just tell them to park at Epcot and head to the finish area is that sufficient or should I provide more detailed directions?

Thanks!

Big white tents that can be seen from the tram

It's pretty obvious.. Other clues, look to the east or left as they approach the park entrance. Follow the noise would be the final.

Here is a map of the course... Change the layer to Satellite and zoom in on the finish. The 2012 marathon finish is in the parking lot of the satellite photo.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/156764913/

If it's really in the mid-60s, I probably won't have any throw away clothes on. Maybe a top if there's a chill from the dew point, but certainly no bottoms.

I would couch it a little less than favorable. I will be a singlet and shorts. No need for throw down clothing. I also may have a sleeved shirt for teh staging area that gets checked... though more than likely with pre-race nerves I will be glistening even in the staging area.

Although, is taping one of those things where you should try running with it first? Or if it bothers me during the race, can I just rip it off?

Either the tape will help or it won't. You can always take it off if it's bothering you in anyway. Did the PT look at what your foot is doing while running? The knee just connects the foot and the hip. Usually a compensation for something happening above or below. A weak hip or flat foot will cause knee pain. Just something else to consider. Be sure to ask for the tape, the owner probably will not remember. Do not be afraid to remind him.

mickeysgal said:

I won't have any throw down. I might wear a light LS top on the bus but I will leave it in my checked bag. The current forecast will be too warm for any layers and I don't want to be hot at the start, I'll be sweaty soon enough;).

Bephus said:
I won't have any throw down. I might wear a light LS top on the bus but I will leave it in my checked bag. The current forecast will be too warm for any layers and I don't want to be hot at the start, I'll be sweaty soon enough;).

I also have revamped my costume to now be a white skirt and blue tank, no yellow tights for Donald. No way I am running 26 miles with tights on!! I would not make it, lol. Now I need to go glue buttons to safety pins and make a sailor collar!

FFigawi said:

NipGuards are my choice for any run over 1.5 hours. :)

Last year when I ran the 5K we ran out through the International Gateway and then back in through a back stage area. My daughter is running the 5K and part of our family was wanting to wait out by the International Gateway (outside the park by walkway to to BC). Based on the map it looks like it goes that way again. Do you think this is doable? My husband and I are will be at the start/finish.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/37052596/

Yes... and No. The course leaves the park and loops around the old tramway loop. However, there is a hard gate a little further back from that point. They could watch the race but it is from a slight distance. If you zoom in on the map and look at the IGate segment, you will notice that the I Gate crosses over Epcot Resort Blvd. There is a hard gate (two white posts - you can see the gate shadow) on the west side of that overpass and the race stays on the east. I am not sure it will be light enough that they will be able to see you daughter or she them.

Not sure if I really helped. The short answer is that they can see the parade, but maybe not individuals, in my opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter