Official WDW Marathon Weekend 2013 Thread-Part 2

...Running the stripes comes with a hazard that many from the north have not seen; raised divider line reflectors. You know, the little things about every 2-3 lines that go bump, bump it you are changing lanes. They are not tall and are only a hazard if you step on one funny or toe into one.

This is exactly what almost ruined my first marathon last year! I stepped funny on one of those things somewhere after MK and I started getting a pain in my mid-foot. The pain got increasingly worse through the last half of the race to the point that by the end, I couldn't think of anything except how bad it hurt. Watch out for those reflectors, folks!

It depends where you check, and which day... I am seeing anything from a 0-75% chance of rain for Saturday and a 0-75% chance of rain for Sunday, and temperature prediction differences from a high/low of 60/48 to 81/63 for Sunday (AccuWeather, Weather.com and Weather Underground this morning). It's zany!! :)

Weatherist (which is still in beta but does have some Orlando info) tries to provide some accuracy analysis, but it's limited.

Anyway I know it's silly of me to obsess over the weather this far out, but that's not stopping me from obsessing anyway! :sunny:

Um... I'll take Accuweather's 48/60, even if that includes rain! I did a 20-miler in ~40° rain the whole time and felt surprisingly great. I'd much prefer that over 60/80!

I don't mind if it drizzles, what I wouldn't want is a downpour or a steady rain the whole time. I would be miserable if that happened.

Rain, rain, go away
Please come back another day
If you don't, I will cry
And I'll call the FBI

(not sure what the FBI can do in these cases, but it's worth the try ;) )

I don't mind if it drizzles, what I wouldn't want is a downpour or a steady rain the whole time. I would be miserable if that happened.

Just be sure to wear a hat with a brim and put lots of anti-blister balm on your feet (and anywhere you could chafe) and you'd be fine. Less than ideal, sure, but not as bad as you'd think :)

Tried my missed 3.5 mile run this morning at the gym. I'm still feeling a little queasy (stomach bug hit my family. Seemed to be a 24 hour type thing with the kids, but longer low-level queasiness with the adults) but I did it. Wondering if I should hold off on my 7 miler until Sunday instead of tomorrow to give me more recuperating time?

And then I shall quarantine myself. Of course I just remembered I have a Girl Scout event tomorrow night. With a bunch of Brownies and Daisies. At a children's museum. I'm going to bring a can of Lysol.

Just be sure to wear a hat with a brim and put lots of anti-blister balm on your feet (and anywhere you could chafe) and you'd be fine. Less than ideal, sure, but not as bad as you'd think :)

Mental note: buy a hat with a brim.

It depends where you check, and which day... I am seeing anything from a 0-75% chance of rain for Saturday and a 0-75% chance of rain for Sunday, and temperature prediction differences from a high/low of 60/48 to 81/63 for Sunday (AccuWeather, Weather.com and Weather Underground this morning). It's zany!! :)

Weatherist (which is still in beta but does have some Orlando info) tries to provide some accuracy analysis, but it's limited.

Anyway I know it's silly of me to obsess over the weather this far out, but that's not stopping me from obsessing anyway! :sunny:

I'm obsessing as well- and the worst part is, weather forecasts are constantly changing...so it actually really IS something you can obsess about (rather than just looking once, and done.)

Hoping for COOLER wather than the 57-60F start in the current predictions.

DBF and I definitely second that.

Rain, rain, go away
Please come back another day
If you don't, I will cry
And I'll call the FBI

(not sure what the FBI can do in these cases, but it's worth the try ;) )

What if the FBI tells the rain to freeze???? Then we're really screwed!!! :rotfl:

I always wear a hat because I wear glasses (no, I can't get contacts). If it decides to rain sideways, it gets annoying, hat or not.

Mental note: buy a hat with a brim.

If you are not running with a hat now, I would suggest a tech fabric visor. The top of the head is the largest heat sink for the body and covering it for the first time in a race can cause an issue.

http://www.headsweats.com/categories/Our-Products/Performance-Visors/

Running on a day of showers can be a refreshing run - even enjoyable with the temps forecast today. The key is a visor to shield your face from direct drops, tech fabric, extra attention to lube and then avoiding low spots.

The largest issue at WDWM for puddles is in the parks. Also, stay OFF painted surfaces on roadways. The reflective material in road paint is icy slick once wet; as are areas where buses may have parked or slowed (center of the lane coming into an intersection, center of lane in toll booths and the bus lot just after the TTC monorail station)

Hi all! 2 random questions

1) After the half, is there a place to get our medals engraved? I got them done for ToT and W&D, but both of those had in park parties afterwards. Do they have them in the parking lot somewhere or not do them?

2) Question about PT...I have gone 2 times now for my knee (no one can decide if its ITBS or runners knee or both). Anyways, the first time was last Thursday. The physical therapist showed me a bunch of stretches to do and how to use a foam roller and told me to do them at home. Great. So I've been doing them everyday. I went back yesterday and they just had me do the same thing again. Nothing new. Is that normal? I feel like I paid $25 for what I had been doing at home!

Weird. My PT does TENS therapy (electrodes), ultrasound, massage and traction in a visit.
He will also then show me some stuff to do at home.

We need to be in our corrals at 5am.

There are some of us (including Mickeyfan74-Colleen) from the Donald's Defiant Dashers group who are meeting at the corner of Disney Vacation Club Way and Bonnet Creek Parkway (on the corner closest to POFQ) at 4:45am on both the half and full mornings. That'll give us 15 minutes to get to our corrals, which are super close to that spot. :thumbsup2

This is the map I use to look at the area..this link will hopefully take you to the intersection of DVC Way and BC Pkwy. You can see that there is a grassy area on that corner closest to POFQ that we can meet at. And then all we have to do is cross over BC Pkwy, cross that bridge, and the corrals will be right in front of us.

Link: DVC Way & BC Pkwy

Really Liz? 4:45AM? That will be enough time? I am a punctual person. :)

Well I will plan on meeting up with the Riverside folks maybe by 4:20AM? THen we can all traverse over to OKW intersection to meet you and the others for Saturdays Half.

I am so excited for everyone that is running next weekend. I too have been obsessing about race time weather. I'm running my 1st 1/2 M tomorrow and rather than worrying about heat I'm nervous about the 36 degree starting temp. I live in S MS so I've only trained a few days that cold. I'm hoping race day excitement will warm me up. I've tried to run in a hat on a cold run before but had to carry it the last few miles. Just too sweaty. Good luck to all as you are about to reach your goals! I'll be at Disney for the PHM in Feb.

Has anyone used the Futuro Sport Adjustable Knee Stabilizer?
http://www.futuro-usa.com/wps/porta...al/Products/Product-Catalog/?N=5148274&rt=rud

I have had problems with lateral knee pain due to weak hips and have gone through 2 months of PT. I start off fine during a half but later on my knees hurt so bad I am reduced to walking. I have tried KT tape but have issues with it staying on and have tried the IT Band strap but that doesn't seem to help and they fall off. I know it's bad form to wear something during race day that you didn't practice with but I am going to be hurting regardless. I am less concerned with how long it takes me to finish and more concerned with how my legs feel the next couple of days at the parks.

Does anyone have any experience with braces like this? Will this be okay to run in?

So sad I am registered for the 1/2 marathon Sat, but due to injury, can't do it. This should have been my 7th 1/2 marathon. I'm too late to even attempt to defer, so I guess its just a really expensive running shirt I will be picking up! Happy I can be there to cheer hubby on Sunday! Good luck everyone!

Has anyone used the Futuro Sport Adjustable Knee Stabilizer?
http://www.futuro-usa.com/wps/porta...al/Products/Product-Catalog/?N=5148274&rt=rud

I have had problems with lateral knee pain due to weak hips and have gone through 2 months of PT. I start off fine during a half but later on my knees hurt so bad I am reduced to walking. I have tried KT tape but have issues with it staying on and have tried the IT Band strap but that doesn't seem to help and they fall off. I know it's bad form to wear something during race day that you didn't practice with but I am going to be hurting regardless. I am less concerned with how long it takes me to finish and more concerned with how my legs feel the next couple of days at the parks.

Does anyone have any experience with braces like this? Will this be okay to run in?

That brace is very heavy duty. Have you just tried a neoprene knee sleeve? Just some basic compression to hold it together may help too. That is what I would try (but before the race).

Also, I have had good luck with the CW-X 3/4 tights to help knee issues. They have some light, but real support structures around the knee area. Worth looking at.

Last January, there was a tent area where you could take your medal and have it engraved on the spot. It costs $25 'cash' and you give them your medal and wait about 15 minutes before it is completed. They have a laptop and pull your official finish time right there if you want that engraved. So bring some cash with you.

For the Princess, they had a table at the expo. I think they had other things for sale there, which is why I didn't see it initially..I saw it on my second trip around. I gave them my cash there and they filled out a green slip of paper. I honestly can't remember if they gave me anything as a receipt. They wrote down my name and I went directly to the engraver after the race and didn't have to wait in line.

It was kind of confusing and I felt like I was cutting the line, but that's what they told me to do!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter