• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Thread For Upcoming Eastern Canadian Cruises

That is disappointing to hear.

Was the train itself nice. My 2 year old is train obsessed so it might be worth keeping just so she can ride the train. I was doing the railroad combined with the HOHO bus tour.

I'd skip it. Your 2 year old might realy enjoy a ride on Theodore Tugboat in Halifax.

Wasn't sure about the Maple tour as it's past sugaring time. Maybe we will do that....

Did you pre book the Keith's brewery tour or just show up? I thought that might be fun in Halifax.

Were there other things besides alcohol tastings on the sea days? Do they do any food type classes? Both my mom and my daughter would love something like that!

Thanks!

There was an entree cooking class on first sea day and a dessert on second sea day. I showed up at start time on first sea day and it was packed so missed it. Showed up early on second sea day and got to watch a fun demo, with alcohol to complement!
Lots of Bingos and trivial and talks on different topics.

We also did the Rasul in the spa plus I got a discount on a Bliss package just by going to their open house drawing give away on embarkation day.

We did Palo for dinner. I had myself convinced it was on our Saint John day and up we troop. Only to find out it was on our Halifax day. Ooooopppppsss. They graciously still took us and it was awesome!

We had more adult alone time on this vacation that we have in the 13 years we have been parents.

Fun

KimKreis - you gave us tons of info...thank you so much....we are going 8/12. On the Keith's Brewery tour this sounds great - I thought you had to be an adult over 21 - I wanted to do this, but have the kids...they can go on the tour?

Any other info. would be greatly appreciated!!!

Kristina

Yep kids are fine. Mine are ten and 13 and while they are tall for their age they are obviously kids. They even had a kids price for the tour.

30 or even 50 minutes is not enough time to visit the Citadel. You really need to do this by itself to give it ample time to explore the old fort and its history.

I agree; when we go to the Citadel we go for hours. I'd say if you were only going to go for 30 minutes there'd be almost no point in going at all.

30 or even 50 minutes is not enough time to visit the Citadel. You really need to do this by itself to give it ample time to explore the old fort and its history.

This is exactly why we are doing it on our own. I wanted to have enough time to fully explore it :thumbsup2

for the keith's brewery tour - if you walk in kids can go - but i think right now the disney tour doesn't allow kids

There was an entree cooking class on first sea day and a dessert on second sea day. I showed up at start time on first sea day and it was packed so missed it. Showed up early on second sea day and got to watch a fun demo, with alcohol to complement!
Lots of Bingos and trivial and talks on different topics.

We also did the Rasul in the spa plus I got a discount on a Bliss package just by going to their open house drawing give away on embarkation day.

We did Palo for dinner. I had myself convinced it was on our Saint John day and up we troop. Only to find out it was on our Halifax day. Ooooopppppsss. They graciously still took us and it was awesome!

We had more adult alone time on this vacation that we have in the 13 years we have been parents.

Fun

Great info...thanks!

My mom is always early for everything so she will be sure to get a front row seat for the cooking demos!!

Glad you had adult time...so your kids were in the clubs or at home?!

So exciting to hear how the first cruise went. Thank you all for your reviews! :) Can't wait to sail in 23 days.

We are thinking of doing the Maple Sugar Shack tour and wondered if it would be interesting for two adults with no children??

Hi! I wanted to say thank you more time to our Canadian friends who helped so much with our planning. I am very excited to be visiting your home. I have made our list for Halifax. There are 11 points of interest that I would like to see if my DH goes along with everything. I am taking your advice and starting at the top of the hill and working down towards the pier. It is very hard to say where we will be at lunch time. I was wondering if you have any recommendations. I am thinking we may be around City Hall area. Also there was some recommendations to try cows, beaver tails and susiess short breads.
Can anyone tell me if these are close to any points of interest? Or are close to the ship? I am sure they are delicious, but I won't cry if I miss out on some extra calories. Thanks again for everything. Vicki

Hi
I am new to the thread- our family is going 8/12. We are excited- DH and I have cruised but never the kiddos. They are 7 and nearly 4.

DH and I cruised out of NYC for our honeymoon 11 years ago. From reading other posts- it sounds pretty unchanged- the parking and such.

Thanks for the chatter!

Holly

Hi! I wanted to say thank you more time to our Canadian friends who helped so much with our planning. I am very excited to be visiting your home. I have made our list for Halifax. There are 11 points of interest that I would like to see if my DH goes along with everything. I am taking your advice and starting at the top of the hill and working down towards the pier. It is very hard to say where we will be at lunch time. I was wondering if you have any recommendations. I am thinking we may be around City Hall area. Also there was some recommendations to try cows, beaver tails and susiess short breads.
Can anyone tell me if these are close to any points of interest? Or are close to the ship? I am sure they are delicious, but I won't cry if I miss out on some extra calories. Thanks again for everything. Vicki

Not sure about Susie's short breads but I think Cows and Beavertails are on the opposite end of the waterfront boardwalk from the cruise dock. They are not too far away.

We did blue nose side car tours as a private tour in Halifax in the am & had a BLAST. I found about them on Trip Advisor & would highly reccommend them. I think they can accomodate up to 4 people on a private tour, but it would be great for just 2 people. They will do Halifax city tours custom made to your choices, Peggy's Cove Tours, & even a full day tour w/ Lunenburg. My DH was in one side car & I was in the other. We had microphones in our helmets so all four of us could talk to each other. We learned lots of little tidbits about life in Nova Scotia. It was so personalized I got more out of it & I'll remember it. They will also adjust the tour to your interests. We did Peggy's Cove & then added a half hour on to include the Titanic graveyard.

I asked to see meet some of the real people of Halifax, so we stopped at: that makes hammocks out of recycled pop bottles, made quick stops to see little places, a historic house w/ a free tour from house that is allegedly where Peggy of "Peggy's Cove" lived. This guy was a character full of great local stories. We went to the S.S. Atlantic site & local historical society (free) although our guides treated us a quick tea/coffee & muffin/cookie. The S.S. Atlantic was another ship the sank. Guess who bulit it??? The White Star Line!!! It has been brushed other rug & doesn't get the attention the Titianic nor the $$ for upkeep. They dropped us off at the Maritime Museum at our request, but we changed our mind & walked along the waterfront: saw Theodore Tugboat, visited Nova Scotian Crystal, several other shops, skipped the many restaurants, but did indulge in a yummy beaver tail. It was a lovely, though windy walk, back to the ship.

The people of Nova Scotia & New Brunswick were incredibly friendly & welcoming. New Brunswick had the best welcome: free little Canadian flags, Candian flag pins, roses for the ladies, & I'm not sure what else. Nova Scotia has great last minute shopping in the port terminal.

Pack for changeable weather & be sure to have good wind gear.

We did Peggys cove and hop on in Halifax and train (dont waste money) and hop on in St John . Some people including Disney person at Guest Services thpoght that because your ticket for the tour said 1 pm you could not do hop on before that. You can do hop on as soon as you get off and then come back for the tour . We rode each loop first and then decided what to see. Each ;oop is 40 minutes if you dont get off.
Whale watchers should check to see when the whales come into the area. Someone said they did not see any on their tour we saw one in Peggys Cove
If you go to the cove walk to the village you pass it on the way to the lighthouse (maybe quater mile) You can see the reversing falls from the hop on and there is a stop right there . They stop on the hill by the Saint John sign and it is a grat spot to see the ship in the harbor

We did blue nose side car tours as a private tour in Halifax in the am & had a BLAST. I found about them on Trip Advisor & would highly reccommend them. I think they can accomodate up to 4 people on a private tour, but it would be great for just 2 people. They will do Halifax city tours custom made to your choices, Peggy's Cove Tours, & even a full day tour w/ Lunenburg. My DH was in one side car & I was in the other. We had microphones in our helmets so all four of us could talk to each other. We learned lots of little tidbits about life in Nova Scotia. It was so personalized I got more out of it & I'll remember it. They will also adjust the tour to your interests. We did Peggy's Cove & then added a half hour on to include the Titanic graveyard.

I asked to see meet some of the real people of Halifax, so we stopped at: that makes hammocks out of recycled pop bottles, made quick stops to see little places, a historic house w/ a free tour from house that is allegedly where Peggy of "Peggy's Cove" lived. This guy was a character full of great local stories. We went to the S.S. Atlantic site & local historical society (free) although our guides treated us a quick tea/coffee & muffin/cookie. The S.S. Atlantic was another ship the sank. Guess who bulit it??? The White Star Line!!! It has been brushed other rug & doesn't get the attention the Titianic nor the $$ for upkeep. They dropped us off at the Maritime Museum at our request, but we changed our mind & walked along the waterfront: saw Theodore Tugboat, visited Nova Scotian Crystal, several other shops, skipped the many restaurants, but did indulge in a yummy beaver tail. It was a lovely, though windy walk, back to the ship.

The people of Nova Scotia & New Brunswick were incredibly friendly & welcoming. New Brunswick had the best welcome: free little Canadian flags, Candian flag pins, roses for the ladies, & I'm not sure what else. Nova Scotia has great last minute shopping in the port terminal.

This side car excursion sounds awesome. We are looking at it right now on trip advisor. Is there someone who drives the motorcycle for you? do you have any pictures?

Thank you for the tip.

Lori

This side car excursion sounds awesome. We are looking at it right now on trip advisor. Is there someone who drives the motorcycle for you? do you have any pictures?

Thank you for the tip.

Lori

You can't drive. You have a husband & wife tour guide. I'm horrible at remembering how to post photos, but if you go to there website & click on photos you can see the side cars. It was so comfy in the sidecar. You can put another passenger on the motorcycle itself sitting behind the driver for a max of 4 people on a private tour. It was sooo much fun!!!!

I just looked at the Blue Nose Side Car tours. Looks like a lot of fun! Looking at the pictures, it seems that the side cars are for only one person, is that correct? So, if you are a party of 3 then there will be 3 'bikes' (side cars...whatever they're called?)

What did you do in Saint John? I cancelled our railway tour based on the info I read here so trying to create a new plan!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter