Official Thread For Upcoming Eastern Canadian Cruises

Hope you guys on today's embarking cruise have a great time even if the weather is not cooperating!

If you have rain in Saint John, look into this for some indoor fun:

http://www.aquatics.nb.ca/?q=drop-in-swim

It's right across the street from the port. It's even connected to the Pedway! Any Saint John folks have input about the place???

Hope to hear back after your cruise and hope it's all good!!!

I just got off the Magic today. Just so u know, were were the first cruise to use the new Diamond Jubilee Cruise Terminal in Saint John. This will make the walk to the Pedway a bit longer (and wetter if raining) since the new and old terminal are not connected.

More info on the new terminal:
http://www.seatrade-insider.com/New...w-cruise-terminal.html?print=1&tmpl=component

mamasha said:
Thanks SOOOO much for the live update! Would you tell me how long it took to get to NJ today. We have a 11:30 flight out of newark airport and doing walk off but need to know how long (or how early) we need to be.
Hope you had a great time. Please post some thoughts when you have the time.

It still only took about 35 minutes from pickup to Newark airport. We left the ship at 8:45 and got out of the terminal at 9:00. Actually when I think about it, it's around 45 min. He picked us up 9:15 and we arrived in Newark at 10. This was in full blown rush hour traffic in Manhattan.

I need to add that the coldest part of the cruise was the air conditioning on the ship. It was so cold and many times I woke up freezing despite me cranking the AC to "warm".

The pool is not right across the street from the port. It is connected to the Brunswick shopping center that contains stores, the library, and City Hall. I'd say that it's about a 10 minute walk from port. About half of it would be open the other half undercover going using the Pedway.

I live in Maine and vacation in St. John. Twice we have gone to the aquatic center just to have a good swim. The lap pool is really great, there's a smaller pool with a fun sliding board. There are two hot tubs. One time I able to participate in the water aerobics class that gave me a really good workout. There is also a very extensive gym you can use full of equipment of all kinds. Bring your own towel. They have coin-operated lockers. Or you can bring your own lock.

I'm glad that someone who's really been there chimed in!

Thanks for the hint. I'm really enjoying your trip report.

Hope you don't need a rainy day activity - but if you do, this sounds like a good one! Thanks for your support for my TR! I was just thinking that I'm close to finishing and I'm not sure I'm ready for that:upsidedow!

Regarding how warm a coat, I'd say not a down one, but would recommend a lined windbreaker. It was quite cold and blowing rain on our Saint John day. My husband was in a cast, so we decided to stay on the ship, but I wanted to spend some time on deck. I was VERY glad I'd packed my windbreaker, it was miserable out. I felt bad for all the staff required to still be working on deck!

Regarding how warm a coat, I'd say not a down one, but would recommend a lined windbreaker. It was quite cold and blowing rain on our Saint John day. My husband was in a cast, so we decided to stay on the ship, but I wanted to spend some time on deck. I was VERY glad I'd packed my windbreaker, it was miserable out. I felt bad for all the staff required to still be working on deck!

Thanks so much for the response. I've been checking weather for Halifax but wasn't sure at all about the North Atlantic. Lined windbreaker/raincoat it will be.

This may be late in the game to post this, but DCL offers an excursion called "Peggy's Cove Coastal Hike & City Highlights" which is an adult only tour. I was able to book something that sounds identical that I was about to take my kids on (they are 10 and 13) and it was less than half the price of DCL.

If anyone is interested they should contact the folks over at http://www.greatearthexpeditions.com/

Very highly rated on trip advisor. All persons must be "up" for a good hike. If the children (or parents) are whiney... this may not be for you. But if you want to take a hike on some unspoiled scenic areas near Peggy's Cove... this is the one!

I am pooh sized, but have no mobility issues... and this was not a problem for me.

Well the last cruise I believe is over, and I truly hope that those of you that visited our fair provinces had a truly wonderful and magical time. I just want to say thank you to all the contributors to this thread. Each and everyone of you exemplifies the Disney Dream of of comraderie, peace and brotherhood (sisterhood too!). It is amazing how after starting this thread that I could sit back and watch it grow, it was simply amazing! When the cruise magnets started occupying a lot of my time, I knew that the needs of the people who would post questions here would be answered thanks to you.

I have made some friends here on the thread, that I hope one day to meet in person. As the Mouse that started it all would say "See you real soon!"

Jkpmac

Thank You! We had a wonderful cruise to Canada earlier this summer on the Magic. I hope that DCL returns to hte area again in the future. I really want to go back and stay a while in the area someday.

Well the last cruise I believe is over, and I truly hope that those of you that visited our fair provinces had a truly wonderful and magical time. I just want to say thank you to all the contributors to this thread. Each and everyone of you exemplifies the Disney Dream of of comraderie, peace and brotherhood (sisterhood too!). It is amazing how after starting this thread that I could sit back and watch it grow, it was simply amazing! When the cruise magnets started occupying a lot of my time, I knew that the needs of the people who would post questions here would be answered thanks to you.

I have made some friends here on the thread, that I hope one day to meet in person. As the Mouse that started it all would say "See you real soon!"

Jkpmac

Thanks for your generosity and all the info you provided! I'm looking forward to coming back to Atlantic Canada for longer visits in the future.

My wife and I went down to the waterfront here in Halifax yesterday to see the Magic leave for the last time. We were there for the first one and all but 2 the whole season so we thought it appropriate to see her off. We hope all of you had a great time in Halifax and enjoyed our hospitality. The weather for the most part was good on the days you visited so touring was possible. We hope she returns again!

It also helped us to become even more excited for our upcoming cruise on the Dream and Fantasy in just two weeks!

My wife and I went down to the waterfront here in Halifax yesterday to see the Magic leave for the last time. We were there for the first one and all but 2 the whole season so we thought it appropriate to see her off. We hope all of you had a great time in Halifax and enjoyed our hospitality. The weather for the most part was good on the days you visited so touring was possible. We hope she returns again!

It also helped us to become even more excited for our upcoming cruise on the Dream and Fantasy in just two weeks!

You live in a wonderful city that's full of hospitality. I hope to one day go back for a longer vacation.
Oh yes, thanks for the great weather on Sunday, 9/9. :beach:

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread, lots of valuable info was shared and appreciated.

My parents just sent me pictures from their cruise, Royal Caribbean, Enchantment of the Seas, that sailed from Baltimore on 9/6 to New England and Canada. In their picture dated 9/9, I see the Disney Magic docked behind their ship. My mom said she thought the Magic looked like a pirate ship. pirate:

We were on the September 7th cruise and had a WONDERFUL time visiting Halifax and St. John. The cities were beautiful, clean and safe and the people were so friendly and accommodating. We rented cars in both ports and drove out to the countryside to hike. (Taylor Head Provincial Park and Fundy Parkway)

We will definitely be back when DCL returns in 2014!

Kathi

We were on the September 7th cruise and had a WONDERFUL time visiting Halifax and St. John. The cities were beautiful, clean and safe and the people were so friendly and accommodating. We rented cars in both ports and drove out to the countryside to hike. (Taylor Head Provincial Park and Fundy Parkway)

We will definitely be back when DCL returns in 2014!

Kathi

Wow ... I am shocked that you knew about Taylor Head Provincial Park ... I boat in that area. Impressed!

Thank you, all, for this great thread. Thank you especially:cheer2: to the New Brunswickians and Nova Scotians who shared their provinces with us! We'll be baaaaaaaaaack!:thumbsup2

and we are BACK!! Just reserved our trip for the NEW Canadian trip for fall 2016! We were on the original/inaugural cruise in 2012 and can't wait to do it again. Thanks to DCL for bringing it back!

Now port adventures....mmmmm.....:moped:

:sail::thanks:

Well that is good news, I will keep an eye open and start thinking about new door magnets!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter