• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official thread for the 2010 Princess 1/2 Marathon & 5k- REGSITRATION IS OPEN!

Hi I am signed up for the 5K and was supposed to buy our park tickets, but I lost the discount code... could someone please PM me the code? Thank you in advance.

Never mind, I found my registration.

Hi everyone -

I am hydrating for my 5 miler at 10pm tonight, I am a bit nervous - but I keep saying i will be fine since I have done two four milers (in the past week). :confused3:confused3 that "5" is what is so scary then again next week my long run will be even longer!! :laughing:

I know I can do it, but I just get myself in such a mess before I have to run it. Should I mention that I am TM challenged - i cant seem to get a pace/speed that is the same as running outside :rotfl:

*****I am hoping to get $9 down and $9 back, but I am only flying down on Fri and have to fly back on Sunday, it seems like a good idea BUT i know that i should wait until Monday BUT that is not an option since DH is home with the kids all weekend and has to get back to work ****** either way it will all work out!

I am looking forward to starting week 3 of my 10 week plan, since it means I completed two weeks!!! :banana: Every day is success:cool1::cool1:

I did the Princess last year with 3 girlfriends...first race for all of us! I never posted here but loved this board as I was so encouraged by all of you that I could really do it. I'm so excited to be going and doing it again this year!

We all finished -the 3 of them ran the whole thing and had done other races before. I, on the other hand, used it as "I'm almost 40, I should get off the couch, let's go to Disney World!" Although I wasn't really overweight, I started from the couch, having trouble walking more than a couple miles. I trained for almost 6 months but really kicked it in the last 9 weeks after Christmas. I did a run/walk program and finished the race in 2:48 which I'm really proud of. I'm saying this to encourage all of you that you can do this!

Thanks for the encouraging words! I am in the same situation you were last year, never ran, just turned 38 and I thought this is the time to get off the couch!! I'm feeling more confident every time I run!

Hi everyone -

I am hydrating for my 5 miler at 10pm tonight, I am a bit nervous - but I keep saying i will be fine since I have done two four milers (in the past week). :confused3:confused3 that "5" is what is so scary then again next week my long run will be even longer!! :laughing:

I know I can do it, but I just get myself in such a mess before I have to run it. Should I mention that I am TM challenged - i cant seem to get a pace/speed that is the same as running outside :rotfl:

You CAN do it!!!

I'm a wimp and have done LOTS of TM miles. I don't know how you Northerns' do it. It has been unually cold this winter and I haven't run outside since early Nov. I love my ipod and do have windows to look out while running. I am pretty good at imagining where I am on the course while on the TM. Hope you all can get your miles in and remember...IT WILL ALL BE WORTH IT!:lovestruc

It's not easy for us northerners! I ran 5.2 outside and had to avoid ice patches and snow drifts!
I like the idea of imagining the course while on the TM... I'll be trying that this week! Thanks!

Hi, ladies! Just checking in! I did my long run for this week a few hours ago and felt really good. My DH watched the baby so I could go before the sun went down. I was supposed to do 6 but can't see my mileage on my Garmin while it is counting run/walk intervals so when the intervals ended I had done 6.75. That will make the 7 I have to do next weekend more manageable in my mind.

I know everyone is cold all over but here in north Florida the weather has been very cold for over a week now, which is unusual. I am not used to running in cold weather but it isn't so bad once you get going. I don't know how you all do it that have to run in snow. Just wanted to tell everyone up north that I really admire your determination to run in this weather!

Have a great week!

Hi, ladies! Just checking in! I did my long run for this week a few hours ago and felt really good. My DH watched the baby so I could go before the sun went down. I was supposed to do 6 but can't see my mileage on my Garmin while it is counting run/walk intervals so when the intervals ended I had done 6.75. That will make the 7 I have to do next weekend more manageable in my mind.

I know everyone is cold all over but here in north Florida the weather has been very cold for over a week now, which is unusual. I am not used to running in cold weather but it isn't so bad once you get going. I don't know how you all do it that have to run in snow. Just wanted to tell everyone up north that I really admire your determination to run in this weather!

Have a great week!

Hi Amy --

I did 5 in 1:05 last night :banana::banana: just thrilled to just do it!! I do 6 this Sunday which is my scheduled LR, but after doing 5 I think I am ok with 6!!! I bought a pack of sports beans and was fine too :)

OFF today and then 4 when the BL is on - how can you miss or skip a run when that is on tv??? It is a real motivator!

Hoping NJ warms up, I would love to run outside again :rolleyes1

Is there anyone on here running where it's warm? Even you Floridians are freezing your butts off!!!

I am biting the bullet and registering tonight. I have held onto my money long enough. My training is at a stand still for the past two weeks. Not good! I don't think I'll have a problem getting back into it--just this cold weather is killing my motivation. Right now running outside is my only option and it has to be done before 7am since I have little kids who need to get off to school and one still home with me.

Seeing everyone's progress is great motivation! Keep up the great runs!!

Is there anyone on here running where it's warm? Even you Floridians are freezing your butts off!!!

I am biting the bullet and registering tonight. I have held onto my money long enough. My training is at a stand still for the past two weeks. Not good! I don't think I'll have a problem getting back into it--just this cold weather is killing my motivation. Right now running outside is my only option and it has to be done before 7am since I have little kids who need to get off to school and one still home with me.

Seeing everyone's progress is great motivation! Keep up the great runs!!

Blake -

Do you have a snapfitness anywhere near you? it is open 24 hours a day, which may help you because they do have a TM. Honestly, I cant wait to run outside -- I miss "my time" where it is just me and my thoughts with music in my ears ;)

I have 4 children (12,10,twins 6) so I know all about the running around and morning routine. Im gonna PM you and see where you live, maybe we can connect depending on where you are :hug:

Blake -

Do you have a snapfitness anywhere near you? it is open 24 hours a day, which may help you because they do have a TM. Honestly, I cant wait to run outside -- I miss "my time" where it is just me and my thoughts with music in my ears ;)

I have 4 children (12,10,twins 6) so I know all about the running around and morning routine. Im gonna PM you and see where you live, maybe we can connect depending on where you are :hug:

Moms keep up the good work!! Fitting in works out with everything else we do (my kids are 8 and 5) is a struggle, but it feels good when we can get it done doesn't it??
Right now I head to the gym most mornings at 5am, (too dark to run outside that early!) so I can be done and back home by the time DH leaves for work at 630. I have to get the kids for school and myself ready for work all by 8am! Good thing working out is giving me all this extra energy, but by 8pm, I'm wiped!
Keep pushing through though moms, you can do it!

The Half Marathon is 92% FULL today, Monday, January 11! Let's all get officially signed up, if you haven't already!

Hey, Princesses. I walked 5 miles on the TM yesterday. That was my long one for the week.

Has anyone noticed a difference in their pace from street walking/running to using the TM? When I'm walking on the street and using my Garmin, I can maintain between a 16 and 17 min pace, but on the TM, I don't come close to that.

I'm hoping that the TM is just not calibrated, and that my Garmin is accurate, but does anyone have any insight into this? I would hate to be preparing using a certain pace, then show up on race day and be way over.:confused3

Hello Princesses,

I know you all are working hard and are excited as our time to don our tiarra's, lace up our slippers and run approaches.

I wanted to come here and fomally introduce my self. My name is Princess KIm. I'm no stranger to the WISH and have been a part of the team since forever. I run pertty much run all of the Disney endurance events. To include the inuagural Princess half in 2008. I had to sit out this weekend for the Disney Full and Half due to an injury. I'm starting my training this week and look forward to my cold runs! :eek: However I'm fired up for the Princess Half and look forward to meeting all of you soon! :goodvibes

Take Care
Kim

Hello Princesses,

I know you all are working hard and are excited as our time to don our tiarra's, lace up our slippers and run approaches.

I wanted to come here and fomally introduce my self. My name is Princess KIm. I'm no stranger to the WISH and have been a part of the team since forever. I run pertty much run all of the Disney endurance events. To include the inuagural Princess half in 2008. I had to sit out this weekend for the Disney Full and Half due to an injury. I'm starting my training this week and look forward to my cold runs! :eek: However I'm fired up for the Princess Half and look forward to meeting all of you soon! :goodvibes

Take Care
Kim

Hi, Kim! Welcome! It is great to have another experienced runner on this thread. Good luck with your training! I look forward to getting to know you as the race gets closer!

Hi Amy --

I did 5 in 1:05 last night :banana::banana: just thrilled to just do it!! I do 6 this Sunday which is my scheduled LR, but after doing 5 I think I am ok with 6!!! I bought a pack of sports beans and was fine too :)

OFF today and then 4 when the BL is on - how can you miss or skip a run when that is on tv??? It is a real motivator!

Hoping NJ warms up, I would love to run outside again :rolleyes1

Swim-mom, that is awesome. I am so happy you are feeling good. I love BL, too! I just hate Tuesday runs because I have to run while it is on. :(

This week my run/walk intervals switch from run 3/walk 2 to run 3/walk 1. It will be interesting to see how the shorter walk affects me.

Keep up the good work and stay strong!

Hey, Princesses. I walked 5 miles on the TM yesterday. That was my long one for the week.

Has anyone noticed a difference in their pace from street walking/running to using the TM? When I'm walking on the street and using my Garmin, I can maintain between a 16 and 17 min pace, but on the TM, I don't come close to that.

I'm hoping that the TM is just not calibrated, and that my Garmin is accurate, but does anyone have any insight into this? I would hate to be preparing using a certain pace, then show up on race day and be way over.:confused3

So your doing a faster pace on the TM or slower? Usually you do a faster pace on the TM than outside in the elements, (wind, temperature etc can effect how you move when outside) but it's possible to be doing better. I'd say it's better to be doing your best pace outside than on the TM, afterall the race will be outside!

Good luck!

THis is really interesting...I use Nike+ on my iPod which I calibrated at a track. I've been running on the TM and having the same issue you are. I want to run at a 10:30/mile pace and can't get past 11:20/mile on the TM. I think the TM is off and my iPod could still be a little off. I don't have a Garmin but you'd think it would be pretty accurate, using satellites and all. I really hope my iPod isn't too far off as I"m hoping my pace is what I think it is. I'm also hoping for a couple warmer weekends in February (just looking for 35 degrees!) here in MA so I can long-run outside. I'll use mapmyrun and check it with my iPod for distance which should help.

Hope this sheds some light...
:)

THis is really interesting...I use Nike+ on my iPod which I calibrated at a track. I've been running on the TM and having the same issue you are. I want to run at a 10:30/mile pace and can't get past 11:20/mile on the TM. I think the TM is off and my iPod could still be a little off. I don't have a Garmin but you'd think it would be pretty accurate, using satellites and all. I really hope my iPod isn't too far off as I"m hoping my pace is what I think it is. I'm also hoping for a couple warmer weekends in February (just looking for 35 degrees!) here in MA so I can long-run outside. I'll use mapmyrun and check it with my iPod for distance which should help.

I use Nike+ too... what I have found to measure it's accuracy is to plan a route (has to be outside) on the Map it feature or on http://www.mapmyrun.com/ which can give you exact distances you would go, and then I compare that to my Nike+ once I've done that run to see the difference. The Nike+ has been accurate for me, so that is what I go with, even when running on TM.

I registered today... and I think I am nuts. There is no way I am finishing this race.

Anyone have a training plan for fat nutcases? :laughing:

I use Nike+ too... what I have found to measure it's accuracy is to plan a route (has to be outside) on the Map it feature or on http://www.mapmyrun.com/ which can give you exact distances you would go, and then I compare that to my Nike+ once I've done that run to see the difference. The Nike+ has been accurate for me, so that is what I go with, even when running on TM.

I have a new TM (1 wk old) and they are very accurate :) I also have the NIKE+ which I love but do not use it for accuracy since if your stride if off or if you are going around things like side stepping snow or ice it can give you a false distance.

If you are on a gym tm then they too are serviced and are accurate, if you have an older TM that you are not the orginial owner it is possible there is something wrong with the distance.

I can honestly say that last week I swore the TM was broken, it seemed to take forever for me to run 4 miles!!! Bottom line I did 4 in 55 minutes, but last night I did 5 in 1:05 --- stranger but I cant seem to get my pace or stride right to get a good reading on my ability.

Many say that the TM is faster because it gets you moving and keeps you there, however there are others that say when on a TM you are working against your own ability to speed up and down since you are stuck at a specific speed.

I guess the bottom line is as long as your doing it - trust one thing - its all about endurance and building it up to complete the 1/2!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter