Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - The Dark Side 2017

A full is a different beast for sure! If you put your mind & training to it I bet you can do it! Just use the Force, right!?!?!
That's not how the Force works! Or at least if incomplete is your training. Granted this is coming from someone who is reasonably sure he will never run a full. I'm not sure I want to invest the time to train for a full and would probably only run a full at WDW. And if I have to choose between the Disney World full and the Star Wars 1/2 at Disneyland, Star Wars wins.

That's not how the Force works! Or at least if incomplete is your training. Granted this is coming from someone who is reasonably sure he will never run a full. I'm not sure I want to invest the time to train for a full and would probably only run a full at WDW. And if I have to choose between the Disney World full and the Star Wars 1/2 at Disneyland, Star Wars wins.

If incomplete your training is complete a full you still may if managed your expectations are. To do or do not, first you must try.

In all seriousness I completed my first full as part of Goofy coming off a major injury. I had never run more than a half at the time. I don't necessarily endorse or recommend that approach, though.

Why not do both?

My husband would love to do the WDW Marathon but we want to keep Legacy at Star Wars. With his working in retail management during a prime busy season, doing both is not an option. Technically, Star Wars - Light Side is during the vacation black out but we've worked our way into allowing that one - if we were to try to extend it further it just wouldn't work.

The Force is used to block your pain, duh! hahaha! oh I know training is important as I've completed marathons including the marathon at WDW with the flu in 2015 and food poisoning/illness along with piriformis injury in 2016. I would never say go do a full (or any race) with lack of training, I personally get annoyed when people complain cause they didn't train.

and I seem to come up with new themed outfit ideas daily!

I know we briefly started talking about costumes...Any ideas for DS11 who won't know we're coming until we leave?:rotfl: He has told me over and over he loves to be surprised if we ever go on another trip to Disney. (I stopped him right there, he should definitely know it's not an "IF" situation in this house!!)
He has a Kylo Ren costume and has been Darth Vader for Halloween before...we have So so much Star Wars stuff, but running in it...now there's a different beast. :)

I know we briefly started talking about costumes...Any ideas for DS11 who won't know we're coming until we leave?:rotfl: He has told me over and over he loves to be surprised if we ever go on another trip to Disney. (I stopped him right there, he should definitely know it's not an "IF" situation in this house!!)
He has a Kylo Ren costume and has been Darth Vader for Halloween before...we have So so much Star Wars stuff, but running in it...now there's a different beast. :)
StormTrooper or CloneTrooper - you could do white running clothes and just paint with fabric paint the markings etc. Or Boba Fett or Jango Fett done similarly. Then it's still light weight running clothes. Green clothes and put "Do or do not there is no try" and a green hat with attached yoda ears = quick Yoda!

It might not be strictly "costume" but I think Under Armour had a kids' line of their Star Wars apparel. I ran in the Darth Vader and Stormtrooper tops at SWDS this year. There's also an outfit that does light sublimated SW shirts. I think they had a Boba Fett and a Darth Vader that would be good to run in. You can find them on Amazon.

I am going to hold out until seeing Rogue One to decide on a costume, I think. So many options! Lol.

Anyone doing POT races this fall? I took last year off from running after burning myself out in 2014, so all of my races are too old to submit. I'm doing a half next month but am doing it with my best friend. It will be her first and it definitely won't be a PR for me, and I am not sure it will even be under 2:45. Because all of that, I also signed up for a 10k at the end of next month as well. Did a 6 mile run on Sunday for half training and I was only a few minutes off of my 10K PR so I am feeling really hopefully about what that means for a month (and hopefully 15+ degrees) from now!

It might not be strictly "costume" but I think Under Armour had a kids' line of their Star Wars apparel. I ran in the Darth Vader and Stormtrooper tops at SWDS this year. There's also an outfit that does light sublimated SW shirts. I think they had a Boba Fett and a Darth Vader that would be good to run in. You can find them on Amazon.
I think Under Armour also sells an adult compression shirt with Darth Vader's chest plate.

I think Under Armour also sells an adult compression shirt with Darth Vader's chest plate.

I should have been clearer. I ran in the Darth Vader and Stormtrooper adult compression tops from UA. They also had a number of kids' shirts available.

I agree, test run your costumes! No matter how elaborate or sine! You never know when something will bother you on a run! I am getting a headband for light side and am planning my test run already, or thee to make sure it doesn't drive me batty!

Heh... trying to imagine the looks of running around in costume while out for a casual weekend run.

I would suggest a pre-dawn or night run (or treadmill at home)... and you better have a good excuse for any police officer that spots you.
I'm sure any police officer seeing a runner in costume would understand and then appreciate the pre-dawn/night run, rather than having to do paperwork over any traffic accident caused by it during normal daylight hours. lol

I test everything too, granted my biggest pieces have only been a dinosaur tail & horns, but I say better get stares locally (including the deputies that pass me) than fall apart at the race I paid a ton for!

I test everything too, granted my biggest pieces have only been a dinosaur tail & horns, but I say better get stares locally (including the deputies that pass me) than fall apart at the race I paid a ton for!

Definitely worth the stares to test run! I always do and haven't had too many crazy looks! But at least I know the costume works for the run!

I've done test runs for all my race costumes (upwards of 10 since late 2014) around my neighborhood and no one has ever batted an eye. Because Florida. ;)

Lol. Probably would be the same here in Seattle especially if I had done it last weekend over PAX. A run around the neighborhood it'll be then!

I am starting to understand all the sightings of clowns in the woods in various cities, obviously runners trying out their costumes for upcoming halloween runs.

I shouldn't have been drinking coffee when reading this reply.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter