Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend 2016 Thread (Jan. 14-17, 2016)

Got to expo around 2pm. Short line and tons of merchandise. Although I don't know what was available before but there are plenty of cups,glasses, ornament, I did it shirts. Etc

Very different than the sept half race weekend where shelves were all empty.

I didn't get a race weekend program booklet in my packet, are they not giving them out anymore?

This is my first time running a runDisney race. The event guide says I should arrive for the half marathon at 4 a.m.!! Please tell me we don't actually need to arrive 90 mins before the race begins.

I feel depressed... I registered for the 5K, and Rebel Challenge but after the 5K I did something to aggravate and old injury. I did not do the 10K this morning and unfortunately I'm out for the half as well. This is the first for me to actually decide it's better not to do the remaining races so as to not make things worse. This really ruins my plans to get the Kessel Run metal in April. Oh well, that's just the way it goes.

For all those doing the Rebel challenge, did you get a wrist band? When I picked up my bib I wasn't given one by the volunteer, and I didn't even think I needed one till I saw the tent at the finish line today. After I realized I might need one I started looking at all the other Challenge participants wrists and everyone I looked at didn't have a wristband. But I just saw a picture on Instagram of somebody and his rebel challenge wristband, so now I'm freaking out again. Oh I hope not

Last edited:

Good luck to all the half and rebel runners tomorrow. I did the 10k this morning and wanted to pop in and say that I had such a great time! I wish I had been able to sign up for the half but I couldn't fit the training in this time this year but I will be back for it. The California races are so nice. I like the east coast ones too but you can't beat the California weather, shorter wait before the race, and for me, the time change makes it so much easier to get up early! But in general I had a lot of fun, and stopped for more characters than I ever have before - but not BB-8. That line just intimidated me! I was quite nervous because I was really sick the last few weeks and had horrible training runs but today I felt strong. Maybe it was The Force. :)

Congrats to all 5k and 10k finishers and good luck tomorrow to the half marathoners!!!

I feel depressed... I registered for the 5K, and Rebel Challenge but after the 5K I did something to aggravate and old injury. I did not do the 10K this morning and unfortunately I'm out for the half as well. This is the first for me to actually decide it's better not to do the remaining races so as to not make things worse. This really ruins my plans to get the Kessel Run metal in April. Oh well, that's just the way it goes.

Sorry to hear about your injury! You are really wise to think long term. Hoping for a speedy recovery for your Dark Side challenge.

So sorry to hear that! :( But I wholeheartedly agree with @pigletliz -- very smart of you to think long term! Onward to Dark Side in April!! :)

For all those doing the Rebel challenge, did you get a wrist band? When I picked up my bib I wasn't given one by the volunteer, and I didn't even think I needed one till I saw the tent at the finish line today. After I realized I might need one I started looking at all the other Challenge participants wrists and everyone I looked at didn't have a wristband. But I just saw a picture on Instagram of somebody and his rebel challenge wristband, so now I'm freaking out again. Oh I hope not

Did everything work out? I think there was a photo station which is how they worked the challenge rather than a wristband.

ya, so apparently I missed the few signs that said to make sure you get your picture taken if participating in the Rebel Challenge, so good thing I saw a picture of someone on Instagram that had a wrist band for the challenge or I may have ended up with no challenge medal. Turns out the wristbands are for the people who miss the chance to take pictures, so after driving back to the expo that saturday I made it right before they closed and was able to get a wristband and thus my challenge medal.

ya, so apparently I missed the few signs that said to make sure you get your picture taken if participating in the Rebel Challenge, so good thing I saw a picture of someone on Instagram that had a wrist band for the challenge or I may have ended up with no challenge medal. Turns out the wristbands are for the people who miss the chance to take pictures, so after driving back to the expo that saturday I made it right before they closed and was able to get a wristband and thus my challenge medal.

Whew!
I don't feel that they have great signage at the packet part of DL runs. Having pickup in a parking garage isn't ideal; it's dark and odd in there. We nearly got pix there (or got in line) before finally seeing the sign saying what it was for (I wasn't doing the challenge but the sign was opposite from where we were coming so we were nearly in line by the time we knew it wasn't for us). (And I felt that many of the volunteers didn't really care about helping out, which feels horrid to say especially since I have volunteered and will do so again I'm sure, but it was my feeling)

Last edited:
Looking forward to everyone's reports! I'm planning on doing the Rebel Challenge next year (as a bit of a quarter life crisis) and it will be my first west coast race and first trip to Disneyland!

And I'm officially jealous of anyone who got to take a picture with and/or hug BB-8

Good luck to all the half and rebel runners tomorrow. I did the 10k this morning and wanted to pop in and say that I had such a great time! I wish I had been able to sign up for the half but I couldn't fit the training in this time this year but I will be back for it. The California races are so nice. I like the east coast ones too but you can't beat the California weather, shorter wait before the race, and for me, the time change makes it so much easier to get up early! But in general I had a lot of fun, and stopped for more characters than I ever have before - but not BB-8. That line just intimidated me! I was quite nervous because I was really sick the last few weeks and had horrible training runs but today I felt strong. Maybe it was The Force. :)

Congrats to all 5k and 10k finishers and good luck tomorrow to the half marathoners!!!
Congrats on the 10K! Did you find the course congested? I started at the back of B and found it was tight and hardly opened up. Much preferred the openness of the half.
I waited at least 30 minutes for BB-8 and another 15 for Boba Fett, totally worth it!!

Whew!
I don't feel that they have great signage at the packet part of DL runs. Having pickup in a parking garage isn't ideal; it's dark and odd in there. We nearly got pix there (or got in line) before finally seeing the sign saying what it was for (I wasn't doing the challenge but the sign was opposite from where we were coming so we were nearly in line by the time we knew it wasn't for us). (And I felt that many of the volunteers didn't really care about helping out, which feels horrid to say especially since I have volunteered and will do so again I'm sure, but it was my feeling)

As a volunteer (and runner), felt that was a little harsh. Anything in particular that made you feel like many of us didn't care about helping?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter