• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Seattle information thread Updated 5/28/2014-Oso update

What are the options for storing luggage when returning to Seattle port? Our flight home isn't until 2:50 in the afternoon. Any suggestions for storing luggage, sightseeing, then how to get to the airport independent of Disney transfers?

I wanted a hotel that was close to Pike Place Market and Westlake Mall.

I first looked at the Inn at the Market, but alas, all the 2 double bed rooms were gone for our dates (we have 4 in our family), and I didn't want it bad enough to pay for 2 rooms.

Next I looked at the Westin, but it was still more than I wanted to spend - $302 a night.

Then, somehow I found The Warwick, which had 2 double bed rooms for $176, had high ratings on Trip Advisor, and is listed as 5 blocks from Pike Place, and 2 blocks from the monorail.

http://www.warwickwa.com/

So, I booked it!

Now, tell me that I didn't make a mistake! What do you Seattle folks know about this place???

We only have 3 days in Seattle. Do you guys think a day trip out of Seattle might work? I was thinking of the first 2 days doing all of the city sites (Pike, space needle etc). Then on the last day possibly heading to Bainsbridge, Tacoma Glass museum to see the glass bridge) or Mt. Rainer (but not sure how we'd get there and do not want to rent a car).

Any thoughts? Or should I really just focus all three days on Seattle? Coming from NYC 3 days doesn't seem like much, I know you couldn't cover a fraction of what the city is about here so i don't want to sell myself short. I like to enjoy myself not rush through things.

Believe it or not we will probably skip a lot of the super touristy things. I will see the space needle but not go up it (heard there are other vantages to get a good view of the city), I want to check out EMP, but might or might not go in (I love architecture so I might go in for that, not the exhibits).So I think we will avoid a lot of lines and such.

I am leaning towards tacoma or Bainsbridge if we leave the city for a few hours.

We only have 3 days in Seattle. Do you guys think a day trip out of Seattle might work? I was thinking of the first 2 days doing all of the city sites (Pike, space needle etc). Then on the last day possibly heading to Bainsbridge, Tacoma Glass museum to see the glass bridge) or Mt. Rainer (but not sure how we'd get there and do not want to rent a car).

Any thoughts? Or should I really just focus all three days on Seattle? Coming from NYC 3 days doesn't seem like much, I know you couldn't cover a fraction of what the city is about here so i don't want to sell myself short. I like to enjoy myself not rush through things.

Believe it or not we will probably skip a lot of the super touristy things. I will see the space needle but not go up it (heard there are other vantages to get a good view of the city), I want to check out EMP, but might or might not go in (I love architecture so I might go in for that, not the exhibits).So I think we will avoid a lot of lines and such.

I am leaning towards tacoma or Bainsbridge if we leave the city for a few hours.

I think you should do what makes you happy. We only have 1.5 days in Seattle, not including sailing day. We'll probably spend the half day (after flying) seeing the space needle and maybe a duck tour. For our 2nd day we'll drive out to tour a Boeing airplane factory & head to Mt. Rainier if there's time. I'm not a city person so 1/2 day in the downtown area is plenty for me. We're staying very near the airport (literally across the street) so it will be easy to hop on the DCL bus from there. We got a great pay in advance rate: $134 for 2 king beds. I couldn't justify the high prices downtown; there's too many cool excursions we want to do on the cruise.

Personally I wouldn't do Bainbridge. It still is fairly touristy in the "downtown" (I use that word very liberally) area of Bainbridge. Cute, but touristy. I'm on the Island everyday and know it quite well--one of my kiddos goes to school on Bainbridge.

http://www.portseattle.org/Cruise/Operations-and-Specs/Pages/Pier-91-Specs.aspx

The link on the first page led me to this answer. In a few clicks I learned that Concierge will hold luggage until 3:30 pm.

I really didn't want to go back to Pier 91 to get my luggage. If we're downtown, it's in the opposite direction from the airport, isn't it? I did find out that if we do the duck tour that they will hold our luggage in their office. We may do that. Hopefully they'd also hold it while we grabbed a quick lunch after the tour.

I think you should do what makes you happy. We only have 1.5 days in Seattle, not including sailing day. We'll probably spend the half day (after flying) seeing the space needle and maybe a duck tour. For our 2nd day we'll drive out to tour a Boeing airplane factory & head to Mt. Rainier if there's time. I'm not a city person so 1/2 day in the downtown area is plenty for me. We're staying very near the airport (literally across the street) so it will be easy to hop on the DCL bus from there. We got a great pay in advance rate: $134 for 2 king beds. I couldn't justify the high prices downtown; there's too many cool excursions we want to do on the cruise.
That's a really ambitious 2nd day, I think. The Boeing Everett plant is north of Seattle and Mt Rainier is southeast. The tour last 90 minutes and the drive from there to Mt Rainier is going to take at least 3 hours. Then you have the drive back to wherever you are staying. That's going to be a really long day.

To the last couple posters -
I thought I'd toss in my 2cents:

Tacoma is a questionable town. The glass exhibit is one thing but I would not go there just for that for fear of getting lost in the wrong neighborhood.

Bainbridge Island is intersting, but the best part is the ferry ride to see Seattle from the water... but wait! You'll be on the Disney Wonder sailing out and will see it from there!!

Going up to Boeing Factory is 25 miles north of Seattle, and more if you go to the Everett plant.
Mt. Rainier is south of Seattle. Not really do-able in one day. May have to pick one or the other.

If you want a spectacular mountain experience, views, snow, lakes, wilderness, etc., you could drive up to Paradise in the Mt. Rainier National Forest (park).

Good luck!

Marcy

Personally I wouldn't do Bainbridge. It still is fairly touristy in the "downtown" (I use that word very liberally) area of Bainbridge. Cute, but touristy. I'm on the Island everyday and know it quite well--one of my kiddos goes to school on Bainbridge.

Thanks... I'll stick to the main sights!

Thanks Marcy maybe we'll skip the glass museum.

For those of us who live in the Seattle area:

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but it looks like Smith Cove Park, right next to Pier 91 has a small bike trail that goes toward the pier, and a little area to sit. I think we are going to take DS there a few times this summer to watch the Wonder sail away from the pier to get him excited about our cruise! Looks like you'll get a GREAT view from there! ::yes::

I work at Boeing, let me know when you are in town and taking the tour. I can give you some tips and information. Also answer any questions you have.

Kevin

For those of us who live in the Seattle area:

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but it looks like Smith Cove Park, right next to Pier 91 has a small bike trail that goes toward the pier, and a little area to sit. I think we are going to take DS there a few times this summer to watch the Wonder sail away from the pier to get him excited about our cruise! Looks like you'll get a GREAT view from there! ::yes::

That's great info! Only 85 more days until the Wonder comes here to Seattle! I've been waiting a long time for that!

Any information about Paramount? It's one of the few hotels with 2 queen beds so we can fit the whole family of 4 comfortably. But I want to make sure it's a good hotel in a good location for seeing the main Seattle sites. Also, we're trying to avoid Seattle Center since we're there Seattle Pride weekend and it sounds like it'll be very crowded.

To the last couple posters -
I thought I'd toss in my 2cents:

Tacoma is a questionable town. The glass exhibit is one thing but I would not go there just for that for fear of getting lost in the wrong neighborhood.

Bainbridge Island is intersting, but the best part is the ferry ride to see Seattle from the water... but wait! You'll be on the Disney Wonder sailing out and will see it from there!!

Going up to Boeing Factory is 25 miles north of Seattle, and more if you go to the Everett plant.
Mt. Rainier is south of Seattle. Not really do-able in one day. May have to pick one or the other.

If you want a spectacular mountain experience, views, snow, lakes, wilderness, etc., you could drive up to Paradise in the Mt. Rainier National Forest (park).

Good luck!

Marcy

Agreed to this comment it's better to go North vs. South in the Seattle area. Mt. Rainier is gorgeous though, the Boeing Factory is cool if you enjoy looking at planes but not worth it for non-locals in my personal opinion, but then again my father works there so I don't see it being that special per say since I've been in it multiple times.

We've gone up Mt Baker in August. They have walking trails and there was plenty of snow. Enough to throw a few snow balls and it was still fairly clean as it has less summer visitors. From Seattle it is at least a half day trip, but could fill a whole day.

We took a picnic lunch and did a few easy trails.
Grandpa and DH had some mobility issues at that point. A hiking stick and a cane were used. Benches for resting spots for Grandpa.

AMTRAK- Seattle to Vancouver is not HA. Getting off the train at Vancouver I did not see a way to get a wheel chair off the train.
Also, you have to claim your luggage and then take it through customs. There is a slight incline into the building that would make negotiating everything tricky as it is too narrow for both a wheelchair and a piece of luggage pulled beside you. (Walking we managed to tip over one of our suitcases)

Mt. Baker is a good 2 1/2 + Hours from Seattle I would recommend Rainer over Baker for that simple fact. Also not sure how much snow but another option is Mt. Pilchuck though I do remember there being quite a bit of snow last year in the summer. Another gorgeous snow place though will take some hiking is Monte Cristo glacier basin it's absolutely gorgeous but will take quite a bit of hiking.

Mt. Baker is a good 2 1/2 + Hours from Seattle I would recommend Rainer over Baker for that simple fact. Also not sure how much snow but another option is Mt. Pilchuck though I do remember there being quite a bit of snow last year in the summer. Another gorgeous snow place though will take some hiking is Monte Cristo glacier basin it's absolutely gorgeous but will take quite a bit of hiking.

Is the ghost town still there (as in deserted/used to be a town)?

I can pretty much guarantee you can see snow on the mountains from downtown Seattle if the sun is shining.

If not, then it is cloudy and the clouds cover the snow.

Touching the snow is easier the earlier you go.

Lake 22 is a great hike for most and you will see snow, it's at the base of Mt. Pilchuk, it is heading north but one of our favorites, just gorgeous! Depends on your ability but we did it last summer with our 4 (10, 12, 14 and 18 at the time) with zero issues, just a lovely little hike wiht a nice mix of open area and shade, lots of old growth forest and waterfalls/streams.

About 5.4 miles RT for the hike itself, maybe 3 hours total depending on how fast or slow you go. Nice to have lunch at the lake before you head back down. You can also walk around the lake if you have time. If you look close, you can see black dots on the snow on the other side of the lake, that's if you walk around.

P8073218.jpg

P8073223.jpg

Probably about 1.5 hours from downtown, depending on traffic.

Just found this thread. Great information. Didn't know about the docking situation for the Wonder. I booked a hotel on the waterfront thinking the ship left from the same place as Celebrity did. I guess we will have to take a taxi to the dock then but it doesn't sound like it will be too far away. Can't wait to read about new info. I think I will look into the lite rail from the airport vs. taking a shuttle for something different to do..... Never did this option before so it will be interesting but if it works it will be a new experience for my daughter and I.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter