Official Seattle information thread Updated 5/28/2014-Oso update

This is a helpful thread as I was torn between the Seattle city pass vs just a ride a duck tour. Here's my issue, was flying in a day early to see Seattle but the cheaper flights all arrive around 11pm which means we miss a day and the next day is the cruise. Will there be time to do the duck tour in the am before boarding the cruise? Would we want to? Could we leave our luggage at the hotel. May be better to do it post cruise since we have an afternoon outbound flight but then again we have the luggage issue. The next option is to fly in two days early with the same 11pm arrival time but the next day we would have all day to explore Seattle. The con to this is another night at hotel. Is it feasible to do the city pass all in one day? May have enough time post cruise to do some activities if we could figure out what to do with our luggage. The third option is to pay for a higher flight arrive in Seattle mid-afternoon then decide whether to do city pass or ride the duck then board cruise in am. Tell me your thoughts on which option you think would work best. I'm traveling with two children ages 10 and 3 and needed to stay at a Hilton hotel. Looking at the one by the airport on international if we take the late flight or the one on pike. I was also thinking doing the duck excursion in ketchikan so would you recommend doing it in Seattle. Lastly with the short port time in Ketchikan would it be feasible to do the lumberjack and totem bight excursion and ride the ducks? I know I asked a ton of questions but I'll appreciate any comments or feedback.

This is a helpful thread as I was torn between the Seattle city pass vs just a ride a duck tour. Here's my issue, was flying in a day early to see Seattle but the cheaper flights all arrive around 11pm which means we miss a day and the next day is the cruise. Will there be time to do the duck tour in the am before boarding the cruise? Would we want to? Could we leave our luggage at the hotel. May be better to do it post cruise since we have an afternoon outbound flight but then again we have the luggage issue.

That seems like a lot of work and potential cost for just the duck tour!
While you could leave your luggage at the hotel easily enough, the airport Hilton is quite far from the ducks so logistically speaking to do that in the morning before the cruise probably really wouldn't work.

The next option is to fly in two days early with the same 11pm arrival time but the next day we would have all day to explore Seattle. The con to this is another night at hotel. Is it feasible to do the city pass all in one day? May have enough time post cruise to do some activities if we could figure out what to do with our luggage. The third option is to pay for a higher flight arrive in Seattle mid-afternoon then decide whether to do city pass or ride the duck then board cruise in am. Tell me your thoughts on which option you think would work best. I'm traveling with two children ages 10 and 3 and needed to stay at a Hilton hotel. Looking at the one by the airport on international if we take the late flight or the one on pike.

I believe the City Pass includes the following, each of which you'd want probably at least 2 hours at with the exception of the space needle which is about an hour. To do more than one, you'll need to pick some that are close together.

These are all located at the Seattle Center. Which is also where the Duck Tour leaves from.
  • Space Needle
  • Pacific Science Center
  • EMP Museum

These are all located on the waterfront
  • Seattle Aquarium
  • Argosy Cruises Seattle Harbor Tour
These are taxi/car rides away and not close to each other. Or bus I guess but our bus service isn't exactly the best or the most frequent. Either of these will take up more of your time.
  • Woodland Park Zoo
  • The Museum of Flight

I was also thinking doing the duck excursion in ketchikan so would you recommend doing it in Seattle. Lastly with the short port time in Ketchikan would it be feasible to do the lumberjack and totem bight excursion and ride the ducks? I know I asked a ton of questions but I'll appreciate any comments or feedback.

3 excursions seems like a lot to me! You need to allow for time to get back to the ship, meet your excursion and then go back out. Not sure if you are trying to do totem bight on your own which is very doable, we looked at it last year but decided not to. If you did that, you'd have a little more flexibility. It isn't walking distance though. I would think you could do lumberjack and one other though if you really want but you'd miss out on any time to walk through the town if you book too much excursion wise.

I'd add a few in Downtown Bellevue.

Seastar There is one downtown as well.

Ztejas which is Southwestern, my kids love this place. It is at the Bellevue Square Mall.

There are plenty of kid friendly option in the mall. It is however, a mall. A nice one, but a mall. I wouldn't advise a side trip to Bellevue just for shopping unless you had a driving need to go to a specific store. There is also another Wild Ginger at the Bravern.

Bellevue, just across the bridge from Seattle, is known for upscale shopping and the Microsoft campus and museum (although, technically, the campus is in neighboring Redmond). If you find yourself in Bellevue, my foodie recommendations are:

The Amazon Grill: http://www.opentable.com/amazon-grill-bellevue

Brazilian Rodizio--roasted meats brought to your table and carved there. Wonderful food.

Maggianos: http://www.maggianos.com/

Italian food made from scratch--great stuff, but order the family style--that's the best. Bring a big appetite--family style is all you care to eat.

The Crossroads Bellevue Food Court:

http://www.crossroadsbellevue.com/

The Crossroads neighborhood of Bellevue is the most diverse in the United States--it's also my favorite part of the Seattle area. Avoid the Crossroads Cafe, but everywhere else is wonderful. If you prefer sit down food, go for the Crossroads Bar & Grill--despite the name, it's a great place to take kids and they have kids menus, coloring sheets and crayons. Ask for a seat by the aquarium. This is a great place to stop if you plan to visit the Microsoft Museum or the Microsoft Campus. They also have a nice, inexpensive weekend brunch if you visit before 11 a.m.

Technically in Redmond:

The Mandarin: Not your usual Chinese buffet--it caters to local Chinese families (including mine), and on any given day will have traditional favorites, as well as things like pizzas, jello and ice cream for picky kids, but it usually will have at least one less well-known dishes like snails, jellyfish or crayfish for the adventurous. The menu is lighter at lunch, but still excellent.

http://mandarinbuffetgrill.com/

All of the above places are fine places to go with your kids. We also have a Top Pot, if you don't hit the Top Pot donuts in Seattle.

This is a helpful thread as I was torn between the Seattle city pass vs just a ride a duck tour. Here's my issue, was flying in a day early to see Seattle but the cheaper flights all arrive around 11pm which means we miss a day and the next day is the cruise. Will there be time to do the duck tour in the am before boarding the cruise? Would we want to? Could we leave our luggage at the hotel. May be better to do it post cruise since we have an afternoon outbound flight but then again we have the luggage issue. The next option is to fly in two days early with the same 11pm arrival time but the next day we would have all day to explore Seattle. The con to this is another night at hotel. Is it feasible to do the city pass all in one day? May have enough time post cruise to do some activities if we could figure out what to do with our luggage. The third option is to pay for a higher flight arrive in Seattle mid-afternoon then decide whether to do city pass or ride the duck then board cruise in am. Tell me your thoughts on which option you think would work best. I'm traveling with two children ages 10 and 3 and needed to stay at a Hilton hotel. Looking at the one by the airport on international if we take the late flight or the one on pike. I was also thinking doing the duck excursion in ketchikan so would you recommend doing it in Seattle. Lastly with the short port time in Ketchikan would it be feasible to do the lumberjack and totem bight excursion and ride the ducks? I know I asked a ton of questions but I'll appreciate any comments or feedback.

If you're staying at the airport, and the other flight is priced much higher, here is what I would do:

1. Come in on the late night flight. Stay at the airport the night before the cruise.

2. Make reservations with either Shuttle Express: http://www.shuttleexpress.com/ or Seattle Green Limo: http://www.seattlegreenlimo.com/ and forget about Disney transfers--check for pricing, but I know both of these services will include an add-on Seattle City Tour for a fee--this will combine your city tour with your cruise transfers, and should save you both some money and some time. Double-check pricing to be sure. You might well have time to Ride the Ducks, after you check in your luggage at the port. Check their website, and judge how tired you'll be and the kids will be.

3. If you have time, when you leave the cruise, go on the Ducks then. Luggage can be stored at the port.

As to Ketchikan, my suggestion would be to book the lumberjack show, and then Ride the Ducks if you have time--it's not hard to book it at the port.

That seems like a lot of work and potential cost for just the duck tour!
While you could leave your luggage at the hotel easily enough, the airport Hilton is quite far from the ducks so logistically speaking to do that in the morning before the cruise probably really wouldn't work.

I believe the City Pass includes the following, each of which you'd want probably at least 2 hours at with the exception of the space needle which is about an hour. To do more than one, you'll need to pick some that are close together.

These are all located at the Seattle Center. Which is also where the Duck Tour leaves from.

• Space Needle
  • Pacific Science Center
  • EMP Museum

These are all located on the waterfront
  • Seattle Aquarium
  • Argosy Cruises Seattle Harbor Tour
These are taxi/car rides away and not close to each other. Or bus I guess but our bus service isn't exactly the best or the most frequent. Either of these will take up more of your time.
  • Woodland Park Zoo
  • The Museum of Flight

3 excursions seems like a lot to me! You need to allow for time to get back to the ship, meet your excursion and then go back out. Not sure if you are trying to do totem bight on your own which is very doable, we looked at it last year but decided not to. If you did that, you'd have a little more flexibility. It isn't walking distance though. I would think you could do lumberjack and one other though if you really want but you'd miss out on any time to walk through the town if you book too much excursion wise.

Thanks for your feedback very helpful! Again all this depends on the prices of the plane tickets since I'm determined to book the cheapest flight since the price difference is $50 X 4 and an extra night hotel is probably cheaper. The way you broke down and explained the city pass makes more sense to me so our extra day could be spend by the Seattle center and do those and maybe when returning we can do the waterfront tours. From what I understand even if you do a few items on the city pass you will still get your money's worth. As far as Ketchikan goes my main objective is to tour the city so if we get the opportunity to ride the ducks in Seattle we may book just the lumberjack and totem bight excursion as I believe the bus ride over gives you a tour of the city.

Thanks for your feedback very helpful! Again all this depends on the prices of the plane tickets since I'm determined to book the cheapest flight since the price difference is $50 X 4 and an extra night hotel is probably cheaper. The way you broke down and explained the city pass makes more sense to me so our extra day could be spend by the Seattle center and do those and maybe when returning we can do the waterfront tours. From what I understand even if you do a few items on the city pass you will still get your money's worth. As far as Ketchikan goes my main objective is to tour the city so if we get the opportunity to ride the ducks in Seattle we may book just the lumberjack and totem bight excursion as I believe the bus ride over gives you a tour of the city.

Just bear in mind that Creek Street is a good 10 minute walk from the ship, depending on what berth you get and you'll want time to stroll around it. The main downtown area is a bit closer. If you are touring on bus versus walking that is different.

For the foodies....

You may want to consider an extra night in Woodinville wine country, which is about 45 minutes from downtown (less if traffic cooperates).

The Herbfarm is an amazing culinary experience (think Victoria and Alberts chef's table).

Located near a lovely hotel, Willows Lodge. Nearby is several wineries and tasting rooms. We are big fans of the Barking Frog, which is located at Willows. Mark Ryan in particular makes some lovely wines and Alexandria Nicole has a charming tasting area with light bites.

We have heard so much about the Herbfarm. I am going to see what I can do.Thanks for the Alibi recommendation going to check that out!

We got a great rate for the Fairmont Olympic, but parking is quite steep. Are there alternatives nearby to parking at the hotel?
Tks!

We got a great rate for the Fairmont Olympic, but parking is quite steep. Are there alternatives nearby to parking at the hotel?
Tks!

I don't own a car, but the times my parents have parked in Seattle, it's always been pretty steep.

I don't own a car, but the times my parents have parked in Seattle, it's always been pretty steep.

Parking in Seattle *is* expensive. It is a city and that, unfortunately is how it goes. The only semi-reasonable alternative I can think of is parking at a long-term lot near the airport and coming to the port from there. (Assuming you're looking for parking for the length of your cruise.)

Parking in Seattle *is* expensive. It is a city and that, unfortunately is how it goes. The only semi-reasonable alternative I can think of is parking at a long-term lot near the airport and coming to the port from there. (Assuming you're looking for parking for the length of your cruise.)

ACtually if you are driving in- this may not be a bad option.

Hi, thanks for your reply. That is kind of what I figured. We did find a hotel that offered long term parking during our cruise, but wanted to know if there are alternatives to parking at the Fairmont for the two nights we have in town before the cruise.

I wanted to add a couple of things.

This is where we stayed before our Alaska cruise in 2010. It's right on the waterfront, close to shops, the Aquarium, restaurants, right next to an elevator that takes you up to the Pike Place Market...and we rolled our luggage to the port, it's only about a block and a half away!
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/seawf-seattle-marriott-waterfront/

This is a REALLY awesome tour. Fascinating.
http://www.undergroundtour.com/

We hadn't ever been to Seattle, so we flew in 2 days before our cruise and really had a chance to look around.

This is where we stayed before our Alaska cruise in 2010. It's right on the waterfront, close to shops, the Aquarium, restaurants, right next to an elevator that takes you up to the Pike Place Market...and we rolled our luggage to the port, it's only about a block and a half away!

We hadn't ever been to Seattle, so we flew in 2 days before our cruise and really had a chance to look around.

The underground tour is awesome (from what I've heard), but it is not wheelchair accessible, so if you have a wheelie with you, they'll have to sit it out. (I'm in a wheelchair)

While the Marriott is a beautiful hotel, and is, in most ways, just as you have described, you can't roll your luggage to Pier 91, from which Disney sails, you can roll it to Pier 66, so you will still need a taxi to the pier.

It is confusing--Pier 91 is a LOONG way away from Pier 66, and Pier 66 has a big, visible cruise terminal presence not far from the waterfront, but it is NOT the cruise terminal you're looking for, if you're sailing Disney.

The underground tour is awesome (from what I've heard), but it is not wheelchair accessible, so if you have a wheelie with you, they'll have to sit it out. (I'm in a wheelchair)

While the Marriott is a beautiful hotel, and is, in most ways, just as you have described, you can't roll your luggage to Pier 91, from which Disney sails, you can roll it to Pier 66, so you will still need a taxi to the pier.

It is confusing--Pier 91 is a LOONG way away from Pier 66, and Pier 66 has a big, visible cruise terminal presence not far from the waterfront, but it is NOT the cruise terminal you're looking for, if you're sailing Disney.

Right....sorry about that. I didn't realize which pier Disney was using.

Taxi's are available all over the waterfront area for getting to the pier.
From what I recall, the Marriott didn't have a shuttle.

:thumbsup2

Right....sorry about that. I didn't realize which pier Disney was using.

Taxi's are available all over the waterfront area for getting to the pier.
From what I recall, the Marriott didn't have a shuttle.

I don't think they have a cruise terminal shuttle, they may have an airport one. It is a straight shot to the terminal but you would want a cab.

You can walk to many of the waterfront locations from the Marriott however if you have any mobility issues, to get to the main downtown area and the market you will be going up stairs, or taking elevators and there are some hills involved. It is very doable but not exactly around the corner so I'd bear that in mind. there is trolley service along the waterfront though it will not go as far as the cruise terminal Disney uses. Which is close to absolutely nothing. Possibly walkable from Safeco field or the SoDo area but you wouldn't want to be hauling luggage!

Some nice dining locations nearby as well and if anyone wants to do any ferry travel for day trips, very very convenient. We love the Edgewater, which is just down a couple of blocks from the Marriott, however for a family the Marriott would be better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter