Official 'how to get from point A to point B while at WDW' thread.

1. A lot of people say don't go through DTD to get back to your hotel because of long waits for buses, but personally, I like going that route and then spending some time at DTD. If you're not interested in doing that though, I would take a cab, because going to any of the parks or DTD is really going to take you out of your way because AKL is very close to CSR, and in fact you would go past CSR to get to any of the parks. (I don't know if you would literally pass it, but it's basically between AKL and HS.)

2. Bus to MK then monorail to the Poly; you can't walk from MK to the Poly. Instead of taking the resort monorail though, you could take the express one which only stops at the TTC, because the TTC is an easy walk to the Poly.

If you don't like the taxi option, after DAK, next best choice to transfer is DHS if still open, then Epcot, which is almost always open that late. Yes, there is some doubling back, but not that much.
If you're at the resort, bus to MK, then monorail or boat to Poly. From DTD, there's a bus to Poly.

Thanks both of you for the great info! I have copied both ways in my notes...we
Will see how tired we are by then.. Thanks again, Lauri

We have an 8pm reservation at Cape May. How can we get back to our resort (AKV)? Epcot is open till 9:30 but I heard there's no buses that go from BC to Epcot... if we take the bus it will take us to International Gateway... is there a walkway to go around the park and not have to actually enter it? We're trying to stick to free transportation.

We have an 8pm reservation at Cape May. How can we get back to our resort (AKV)? Epcot is open till 9:30 but I heard there's no buses that go from BC to Epcot... if we take the bus it will take us to International Gateway... is there a walkway to go around the park and not have to actually enter it? We're trying to stick to free transportation.
You need to get to a part that is still open or to DTD, and get a bus from there to your resort. Options in preference order are:
  1. Boat to DHS
  2. Bus to MK
  3. Bus to DTD.
If a park is having evening EMH or MVMCP, it's still "open" and you can transfer there. MK is further out of the way than DTD, but it's still usually faster because of nighttime congestion at DTD.

How long? Is a boat the best way?

From the MK, you can get a boat to the TTC, the GF, Polynesian, WL and FtW.....three different boats.
At Epcot, you can get a boat to...YC/BC, BW, S/D, DHS...reverse that at DHS and you go back to Epcot.
At DTD...boat goes to SSR, OKW, POFQ/POR.

That's it for boats. To go between MK and BW, you would take a bus, from the resort bus stops at MK. Always figure on it taking up to an hour...that includes any wait times. It will usually be shorter than that, but best to be safe.

I just realized that the Festival of the Masters is also going on this weekend. One of our party cannot walk very well... she can handle short distances... like from the regular parking lot to the stores, but she can't walk from across the street. She does not have a wheelchair but we have used one with her when visiting the parks.

As an alternative, I thought we could park at a Disney resort and take a bus to DTD. Is that allowed? AND, if so, what resort would you recommend to leave our car and catch a bus to DTD and back after the movie?

If not, do you know if her husband will be allowed to drive into the DTD parking lot even if it is full to drop her off in front of the theatre before going to park his car across the street? The rest of us can walk.

Thank you!

We plan to do an Epcot morning and afternoon and then DTD for dinner/shopping. With two small kids, what is the best way to get from Epcot to DTD? Thanks!

With 2 small children I would take a taxi, you won't have to wait and will be there in 10 minutes, maybe 15 with the parking situation at DTD currently,
cost approx $15 with tip.
By Disney transportation your best way would be to exit Epcot through the International Gateway and walk to the Beach Club and catch a bus to DTD from there. Could take up to and hour.

Best way to get to GF from POP? And how long should it take? We want to see the gingerbread house at GF! Thanks!

Best way to get to GF from POP? And how long should it take? We want to see the gingerbread house at GF! Thanks!

Hi there! The gingerbread house is really cool to see in person. And the Grand Floridian is so beautiful anyway.

You can take the bus to Magic Kingdom, then boat (or monorail) to Grand Floridian. I would recommend boat, since it is the 1st stop vs monorail,where it will be the last. Depending on how quickly you catch the bus & boat, I'm thinking it could take as few as 45min if you catch both perfectly, up to an hour (give or take)

Hi there! The gingerbread house is really cool to see in person. And the Grand Floridian is so beautiful anyway. You can take the bus to Magic Kingdom, then boat (or monorail) to Grand Floridian. I would recommend boat, since it is the 1st stop vs monorail,where it will be the last. Depending on how quickly you catch the bus & boat, I'm thinking it could take as few as 45min if you catch both perfectly, up to an hour (give or take)

Thanks so much for your quick reply! We're very excited about our first Christmas visit to the World!

Best way to get from the BWI to the TTC?

If you have tickets for the park, you can go through Epcot & take the monorail out front directly to the TTC. Of course this only works if you can use a park ticket/annual pass & the park is open.

Otherwise, agree with above. Bus to MK, express to TTC.

Have fun!

Best way to get to Trails End.
On 24th of Dec plan of going to MK that morning and leave for afternoon.Then head to trails End for a 5:45 ADR.After that spend the evening in MK.
Staying offsite at Windsor Hills

Have not been at MK on Christmas Eve, but, have been there during Christmas week....specifically December 30th.....and by 10:30 a.m. we literally could not move about freely....the crowds were so heavy...we left at 11:00 a.m. and at that point park was at capacity. It's my understanding when park reaches capacity there is a formula for allowing new people into the park....first allowed would be WDW resort guests as others leave...I'm not sure exactly how that works...since we had no desire to go back in and fight the crowds....we had arrived late in evening on the 29th and were staying until 1/6 so we just waited until after New Years to go back when the crowds were manageable. So, be aware if you leave MK for the afternoon and the park is at capacity when you return for the evening you may not get in until much later than you would like since you are not staying onsite.... That was the first and last time we visited during Christmas week...since that time we plan to arrive anywhere from NYD to the 3rd of January, depending what day of week NYD falls so we can plan for manageable crowds!

Have not been at MK on Christmas Eve, but, have been there during Christmas week....specifically December 30th.....and by 10:30 a.m. we literally could not move about freely....the crowds were so heavy...we left at 11:00 a.m. and at that point park was at capacity. It's my understanding when park reaches capacity there is a formula for allowing new people into the park....first allowed would be WDW resort guests as others leave...I'm not sure exactly how that works...since we had no desire to go back in and fight the crowds....we had arrived late in evening on the 29th and were staying until 1/6 so we just waited until after New Years to go back when the crowds were manageable. So, be aware if you leave MK for the afternoon and the park is at capacity when you return for the evening you may not get in until much later than you would like since you are not staying onsite.... That was the first and last time we visited during Christmas week...since that time we plan to arrive anywhere from NYD to the 3rd of January, depending what day of week NYD falls so we can plan for manageable crowds!

thanks for your input.I researched closings and last year MK had a phase 2 closing and reopened mid afternoon again.A phase 2 closing means returning guess are allowed back in,which is what my family and I would be.

What's the best way and how much time do we allow on the 21st of December to get from the beach club resort to the wilderness for a sleigh ride at 6pm followed by dinner at trails end at 7:30pm?

We will have a car if that is a good option.

Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter