Official Fantasyland Expansion Q & A (Mickey gets evicted)

I agree that princess and the frog was horrible, but did you try to buy tangled merchandise this christmas? based on the unavailability, I'd say tangled was NOT a flop.

LOL! I bought a Tangled toddler doll at my local Disney store when the site was sold out and they were going for >$50 on eBay and Amazon. There were three left in the store, and when I bought mine I told the salesperson what they were selling for online and the two women in line behind me bought one each-- we cleaned them out in minutes! The store manager told me that they had not even been able to unpack the dolls-- just as I saw myself they were selling right out of the crate off the floor behind the wrap desk...

I am a big fan of all things Disney so my words are not to cut but to be critical and offer alternatives.

I don't know. I think when you say it makes you want to puke....... others might construe that as being...... shall we say........ slightly critical.

In what way is Tangled a flop? It is WDAS's biggest opening ever and has already grossed more than $250 million worldwide in less than a month. Even if that wasn't the case, it was still an amazing movie.

I noticed the owner of this thread has not logged into Dis since Dec. 3rd, which was prior to the recent FLE announcement.

Recognizing that the first post is now outdated, I started a second part to this thread to continue building information.

This thread obviously doesn't have to end, just wanted to provide a place with all recent information grouped together!

Official Fantasyland Expansion Q&A Part II

Thanks Dan! I never went away, I just do not post in character threads anymore ;) But it's good to know people appreciated the info I provided.

Chiming in too... darn good to see you back around these parts. We had tremendous success on our trip with your help. ;)

In what way is Tangled a flop? It is WDAS's biggest opening ever and has already grossed more than $250 million worldwide in less than a month. Even if that wasn't the case, it was still an amazing movie.

Tangled DEFINITELY has legs (staying power...still running down and passing new releases in their first week or two). Still 6th in the daily rankings after over a month...over $272 million worldwide as of 12/29 and counting. And that's before the merchandising. Disney is extremely pleased with what Tangled is doing. It won't be a mega superstar performer like TS3 but it definitely qualifies as a big success.

I would love to see a Tron ride at HS or in Tomorrowland. They need one...it's an epic film and the sequal is really popular as well!

Hey Disney get some of your new characters involved. An Incredibles attraction, or maybe start using some of your new properties that were purchased like Marvel characters.
well considering universal owns the rights to the marvel charaters east of the mississippi they cant use them at wdw

Tangled and Princess and the Frog are not flops at all. Does Tiana and Rapunzel have staying power as far as characters? I don't think so, no. It feels like Disney tries to force them on us.

But as far as financially successful movies go, neither flopped. Princess and the Frog had a production budget of $105 million and grossed $267 million worldwide. And that's just box office. That doesn't count merchandise, DVDs, etc.

Tangled, as a few have pointed out already, has surpassed expectations. Most in the industry estimated it would gross $125 domestic and it just passed $150. It's the only movie to get an A+ from CinemaScore ALL YEAR. It's already grossed $272 million worldwide with a budget of $260 million.

Flops? No. Overall staying power as characters like Snow White, Ariel, Cinderella, Aurora or Belle? Probably not (IMO).

I would love to see a Tron ride at HS or in Tomorrowland. They need one...it's an epic film and the sequal is really popular as well!

Dh and I talked about this while we were watching the movie - it would be a fantastic fit for DHS and has some great potential as a new thrill ride.

And as far as Tangled goes....my dd (now 7) was never a huge princess fan, and had completely ditched the princesses when she was about 5 - after seeing Tangled she now says Rapunzel is her favorite princess and, trust me, it wasn't easy finding the Maximus plush this Christmas...sold out on line and found it in the store only because I got there first thing in the morning when they were restocking. They had sold out the day before.

And as far as Tangled goes....my dd (now 7) was never a huge princess fan, and had completely ditched the princesses when she was about 5 - after seeing Tangled she now says Rapunzel is her favorite princess

Ditto.. my daughter ( also 7) was never a princess fan and has never wanted anything to do with them.. saw Tangled and LOVED it and she is very into Rapunzel.. heck even my 5 and 8 year old sons loved the movie!

Given the Princess and the Frog, and recent Tangled flops I believe Disney is missing the mark trying to incorporate more obnoxious princess themes. I just returned from the World and there was more than enough ways for young girls to get their princess fix (If I see another 5 year old with make-up and her hair done in a gown I will puke).
Hey Disney get some of your new characters involved. An Incredibles attraction, or maybe start using some of your new properties that were purchased like Marvel characters.

Even girls once they get to be a certain age they out grow the whole princess infatuation.

Definitely not a flop. But did you know a lot of the now Disney classics were flops?

Take a look at my signature. I thought it would be fun to make you puke! :thumbsup2

Well there is!!! Good news.. The Tronorail! Great fun too! :rotfl2:

Hey there
thanks for starting part II..
sorry it had been so long... between our trip, the whole family getting sick, and the holidays i could not find any time to read back through that pages and add the updates to the 1st page....
It has been been crazy.... however DD 4 goes back to school tomorrow, dh goes back to work.. so i should have some time to add what saw.. and I was able to get some good info on whats going to happen..
see you all tomorrow :)

The 1st page was updated...
i didn't have time to read through every post since i left on my trip...
If i forgot anything please let me know..

now has for what i saw and hear from my trip..

you can see work being done from dumbo..
(sorry no pics DD wouldnt stop going up and down:confused3)

they seem to be doing most the work on TLM Ride..
I think they maybe trying to get the rides' frame work done by the time toontown closes..

I was able to talk to a few CMs, one of which really seem to know what was going on.. ( also the only cm i saw wearing a check blue shirt / soild light blue & nice black coat??? maybe a higher ranting CM?? )

He was able to talk to me from about 20min why DH was getting FP..

He told me about Tinkerbelle:tinker: moving to DHS and then on the epcot..
This MAY NOT where they will end up... It made it sound as if the Pixie area was almost off table if not scrapped all together..
And that placing them in DHS and then Epcot was a way of testing to see how guests react..

Mickey and Minnies houses:
(Quote) " Mickey has house is in DisneyLand & would rather sleep in cinderella's castle on vacation. Wouldn't you??" (unquote)
he would say nothing else on that topic.. :rotfl2:
sorry i guess its a tight lip sercet..

Railroad..
I was told that they are doing everything they can to keep it open..
They DO NOT want to close it if they can avoid it..

There have been lots of Questions floating around the Dis boards relating to the Disney fantasyland Expansion. So I thought maybe we could start a thread were all questions can be place and get answers. Instead of repeating questions on the board.
I will do my best to answer any questions I can, :surfweb: but would appreciate any one that can help answer questions or give updates.

So…………………………………… Here it is

What is the Fantasyland Expansion?
Major expansions at Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom in Florida will more than double the size of Fantasyland. With two phases scheduled to open in 2012 and 2013, the land will offer richer, more immersive experiences and will introduce a wider array of characters. Instead of simple meet-and-greets, the new mini-lands will envelop guests in the worlds of Disney's classic films and get them involved in hands-on adventures. To make way for the new attractions, the expanded Fantasyland will TAKE OVER Mickey's Toontown Fair. :sad1:

Fantasyland Expansion Phase I (includes Cinderella, Aurora, Belle, and Ariel Realms, and Dumbo’s circus area) Opens 2012

Fantasyland Expansion Phase II (includes Pixie Hollow) Opens 2013

What will happen to Goofy’s Barnstormer coaster?
It appears they will be saved and re- themed.
Update: to be re-themed as a clown coster.
Dumbo sould not close untill new dumbo has been opened

Will there be a new ride?
The Little Mermaid, will likely be similar, if not identical, to the ride coming to Disney's California Adventure. The Little Mermaid Ride will likely use an Omnimover system and "clammobile" cars that will be similar to the ones found at The Seas with Nemo and Friends ride at Epcot.
:dumbo: Dumbo
Dumbo the Flying Elephant may be the most frustrating ride in all of Walt Disney World. The original Dumbo ride will be moved at so piont. A second Dumbo platform will double the capacity of the ride, and the queue will snake through a big-top circus tent complete with interactive games to entertain guests. No word on when the old Dumbo will be moved.

UPDATED: 1/4/11

When will Toon Town closing??
Some disney websites have reported toontown to close in early 2011. Other Disney web sites are staying with the 1st Official Announcement of Fall 2010. So i would Plan for Fall 2010 and hope for early 2011 if planning a trip.
TOON TOWN WILL CLOSE IN FEB 2011!

Ariel's grotto and poohs playful spot have been Closed
Ariel is doing meet and greet in Adv. Land

"Great Wall of Disney" startes next to small world and goes to the gates of Toon town.

Cinderella carousel has undergone a name change it will now be called "Prince Charming Regal Carousel" (Changed June 1st 2010)

Disney Rail Road will be closed for 3-4 months TBA ( no word on when )

pooh: The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh facade will be re-themed to the Hundred Acre Woods during a Refurbishment Spring 2010 (inprogress) Link on page 91 for GREAT photos...
Fast Pass machines for Winnie the Pooh can now be found by Mickey's PhilharMagic.
(pooh has been re-opened!)

Main street is under refurb... may see tarps covering some shops - shops should remain open...
( i added this b/c it is taking so long) not sure how long main street will be under refurb...
Update: some tarps are coming down.. hope to have them all down by the end of summer...
Expo hall is almost done. Pics on page 61!

Expo hall still has tarps, but the no sign of tarps in DEC on the rest of main street..

:darth: Star tours is being updated.. to add the new movies and new effects...
On the official web site, Walt Disney World has announced a scheduled re-opening date for Star Tours of May 17, 2011, which reflects a minor change in dates we originally announced back in March. The attraction is still expected to close on September 8.

At the Disneyland Resort, Star Tours, which closes on July 27 for its refurb, is expected to re-open exactly one week prior, on May 10, 2011.

:ccat:The Mad Tea Party will be re-themed during a Refurb ( completed).

princess:Mickey and Princess M&G will be moved to EXPO HALL. (on main st) After Toontown closes.

Storytime with Belle is closing. ( closed)

Rapunzel and Flynn will be the first of the new Fantasyland styled character "play and greet" in the Fairytale Garden beginning October 15.

:tinker:Tinker Bell will relocate to Disney’s Hollywood Studios and her other fairy friends will appear later in the spring 2011 at Epcot.

Still just a rumor with little concrete information:

Disney may be backing off expansion..
Some are saying that people in charge are worried about the expanison being to "girly"
they are re-thinking some princess M&G..

(This is only a rumor, so far disney still going ahead with everything planned)
So i won't read to much into this..

It looks like pixie hallow, Cindy M&G, and Sleeping beauty M&G may be scraped... and replaced with snow white mine ride

Expo hall in stright across from city hall... to your right when you enter the park..
357385952_zfX6s-O.jpg

Map from Robo ..... hope you don't mind i took it from your website....

Thats all for now.
Feel free to ask questions and Please if you know something add it.

Um, whoever reported that ToonTown will close early this year is absolutly CORRECT !!! The Announcment is on The Official Walt Disney World Website that Mickey's Toontown Fair WILL Close in February 12th of This Year.

So Please, If you can and want to visit Mickey and Minnie Mouse's House and Donald Duck's Boat, You are better off trying to get in there close to .... NOW !!!

Thanks !,

- Dwight

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter