• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OFFICIAL Disney Cake Chatter Thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got off the phone with the GF Private Dining line ordering my cake (delivering to Ohana for DH's 40th birthday), and I'm trying to trust this is going to work out. She said they take orders for the fancy cakes right over the phone now. Has anyone ever given their order for a fondant cake this way and had it turn out right? She didn't take my email or offer me the pastry chef's email. I told her I had a picture of a cute one that someone else had, but she said they had everything they needed. I wasn't too specific - just a cars them with a 40 on it, so maybe I didn't need to talk the chef? Any words of encouragement?

DH always spends his birthday (spring break) in Disney or on a Disney cruise for the kids, and however awesome our trip is his birthday plans always get messed up. We've been forgotten at Palo, had our birthday notes and cake lost at California Grill and had a stomach bug during the Dessert Party. All of his friends are going to vegas, but he's in the land of the mouse. I just don't want to mess this one up. (Fingers crossed)

I just got off the phone with the GF Private Dining line ordering my cake (delivering to Ohana for DH's 40th birthday), and I'm trying to trust this is going to work out. She said they take orders for the fancy cakes right over the phone now. Has anyone ever given their order for a fodant cake this way and had it turn out right? She didn't take my email or offer me the pastry chef's email. I told her I had a picture of a cute one that someone else had, but she said they had everything they needed. I wasn't too specific - just a cars them with a 40 on it, so maybe I didn't need to talk the chef?

That's... weird. They've always taken orders over the phone, this is not something new. I'm not sure why GF Private Dining is frequently so resistant to the idea of folks emailing in a photo, but if you really really want your cake to look exactly like the photo, I would insist. If you don't really have a preference and are willing to just see what they come up with, then you don't need to send the photo. Maybe she thought that was the situation....

Yes, and you'll still have leftovers!

For a simple 8-inch with a screen print you can just use Epcot's balery by calling the Cake Hotline. You only need to go through Y&BC if you want something elaborate with fondant. When you call, they can tell you which characters are available.

Right now BOG doesn't have a cooler big enough to accommodate elaborate cakes, so the Contemporary is evaluating each request individually. You can describe to them what you're after and they'll let you know if it's possible.

This is indeed great news! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks

How long does it usually take for a call back? I left a message yesterday morning for CR cake line and haven't heard anything. Looking to order cake for 3/14.

I know this goes in the category that I see often on this thread, the "How long should I wait for a response from a chef?" but...

I emailed the Contemporary cake email address on February 11th. I've not gotten an email back at all. I forwarded the email back to them (so they could see that I had emailed this before) on Feb. 18th and still no response.

I called the Cake Line at the CR yesterday, Feb. 19th and they said to re-send the email. Since I had sent it the day before I waited until today, Feb. 20th. I just re-sent the email for a 3rd time.

I need my cake for my twins' birthday dinner on Feb. 25th. What do you all suggest that I should I do at this point?!!

I would call tomorrow and see if they got the email you sent yesterday. Then you'll know whether you need to try from another email. :thumbsup2

So I just went through this thread and saved all the cake photos along with basic info about them (mostly cost). (If anyone else decides to look through this thread, save the photos with info the first time around so you don't have to go back and do it again)

There's definitely a trend towards the Contemporary resort bakery cakes being the best "value," so I'm torn. I think I can reasonably set an $80 limit for a 6 inch cake (I don't want bigger, because there will only be 3 1/2 of us) but I don't really have a convenient way to order a Contemporary Resort Bakery cake and still have time to finish it off by the end of the trip. I do have a few options for adding ADRs, but I'm not sure if it will be worth it to eat somewhere JUST to get a cake, but I don't really want to cancel what we have.
We're staying at Port Orleans - French Quarter.

Our ADRs are as follows in order:
No ADR on arrival day, and my little sister doesn't arrive until 7:30, so the only way we could do one here is if I was ok with her getting left out of the "reveal."
Mama Melrose
Universal Day
Ohana (dinner)
Be Our Guest
Restaurant Marrakesh
1900 Park Fare (breakfast)
Chef Mickey's (departure day, my sister leaves super early, so she wouldn't be there for this one either)

So I have a couple ideas:
1) Add an ADR at one of the resorts the Contemporary bakery serves on our Universal day
- Knowing us, I imagine we'll probably go in the morning and be done by mid-afternoon. Although I would like to see it all lit up at night, we'll be traveling with a 2 year old, so I'm not expecting a lot of night time touring at all.
- IF we end up loving Universal so much that we want to go back or stay all day, I'd have a hard time canceling an ADR if I was expecting a cake.
- I was planning on making this date night for DH and I, while my sister watches DS.
2) Add a lunch ADR at Liberty Tree Tavern or the Plaza for the day we have Be Our Guest reservations.
- I could only snag an ADR at 9:05pm for BoG, so we could easily eat an early lunch with cake and not be too full for later.
- I am trying to move the ADR forward though for the aforementioned not being out too late with a toddler reason.
- We've already eaten at the Plaza, and I'm not thrilled about the menu at the Liberty Tree Tavern.
3) Add a breakfast or early lunch on our Ohana day.
- This is our "break" day and an extra ADR would make it less of a break.
- We'll probably want to sleep in and take turns taking naps this day
- Our Ohana ADR is for 5:15pm so we'd risk eating too much earlier in the day for a "family style" meal.
4) Order 2 mini cakes. One at Ohana, so my sister can be there, and one at Chef Mickey's on our last day.
- no extra cake to snack on
- no really fun customization
- we could potentially try two different flavors of cake
- I don't know if we'll end up keeping our Chef Mickey's ADR, because I can't be sure how DS will react to the characters.
5) Suck it up and order from the Grand Floridian to Ohana.
- I really like the cakes the Contemporary resort puts out better, but I'm sure there will be other opportunities.

Any suggestions?

Somebody a few posts back was offered the option of picking up a Contemporary cake at the Wave—could you swing by there earlier in your trip?

So I have a couple ideas:
1) Add an ADR at one of the resorts the Contemporary bakery serves on our Universal day
- Knowing us, I imagine we'll probably go in the morning and be done by mid-afternoon. Although I would like to see it all lit up at night, we'll be traveling with a 2 year old, so I'm not expecting a lot of night time touring at all.
- IF we end up loving Universal so much that we want to go back or stay all day, I'd have a hard time canceling an ADR if I was expecting a cake.
- I was planning on making this date night for DH and I, while my sister watches DS.

I would eliminate getting a cake through an ADR on arrival day & Universal day completely. If it were me, I'd want my sis to be there for the delivery, esp. if you don't see her often. The Universal day is too unpredictable. I wouldn't want my only day there to be dictated by an ADR at WDW.

2) Add a lunch ADR at Liberty Tree Tavern or the Plaza for the day we have Be Our Guest reservations.
- I could only snag an ADR at 9:05pm for BoG, so we could easily eat an early lunch with cake and not be too full for later.
- I am trying to move the ADR forward though for the aforementioned not being out too late with a toddler reason.
- We've already eaten at the Plaza, and I'm not thrilled about the menu at the Liberty Tree Tavern.

This is a viable option.

3) Add a breakfast or early lunch on our Ohana day.
- This is our "break" day and an extra ADR would make it less of a break.
- We'll probably want to sleep in and take turns taking naps this day
- Our Ohana ADR is for 5:15pm so we'd risk eating too much earlier in the day for a "family style" meal.

A very late breakfast could work on this day.

4) Order 2 mini cakes. One at Ohana, so my sister can be there, and one at Chef Mickey's on our last day.
- no extra cake to snack on
- no really fun customization
- we could potentially try two different flavors of cake
- I don't know if we'll end up keeping our Chef Mickey's ADR, because I can't be sure how DS will react to the characters.

You may want to go with one mini-cake, unless the 2nd one was for DS's birthday or something. We haven't tried a mini-cake. It looks like everyone would get a piece, but that's about it.

5) Suck it up and order from the Grand Floridian to Ohana.
- I really like the cakes the Contemporary resort puts out better, but I'm sure there will be other opportunities.

Any suggestions?

GF makes some nice cakes. The higher price & potential difficulty in dealing with their staff makes ordering there less appealing to me.

All that said, if it were me, I'd consider ordering a cake at Boardwalk Bakery to be delivered to your resort. That way you would have the entire week to enjoy it. Have them deliver it a little after your sister arrives. I'm not sure what the difference in price would, but it would be worth $20 or so more to me to have it all week & not have to deal with transporting it to my resort. BB seems to be reasonable from the cakes I've seen posted here.

As usual, lurkyloo has a great recommendation also.

Somebody a few posts back was offered the option of picking up a Contemporary cake at the Wave—could you swing by there earlier in your trip?

I could... but I kind of wanted the hoopla of having one delivered at a restaurant. We will have a rental car for our Universal day, so it's definitely an option.
I think DH would think I was completely insane if I went over to the Contemporary resort to pick up a cake just for kicks (we have no occasions I can pawn it off on). If I order it to a restaurant for dessert, it seems a bit more "legit.":rotfl2:

Our trip isn't until mid-April, so I have a few weeks to figure it out. Next time I plan a trip, I'll have to book my ADRs around where I want to order a cake.

All that said, if it were me, I'd consider ordering a cake at Boardwalk Bakery to be delivered to your resort. That way you would have the entire week to enjoy it. Have them deliver it a little after your sister arrives. I'm not sure what the difference in price would, but it would be worth $20 or so more to me to have it all week & not have to deal with transporting it to my resort. BB seems to be reasonable from the cakes I've seen posted here.

As usual, lurkyloo has a great recommendation also.

Thanks for your input. I have seen some Boardwalk Cakes that I like, but I'm worried I'd run into trouble with getting it delivered to the room.

I definitely agree about the Grand Floridian. They seem to make things hard.

The process at the Contemporary seems so simple, and the results are amazing.

I just don't think one mini cake will be enough. I'm a big cake fan, and could probably eat a single mini cake on my own in a single sitting.

Thanks for your input. I have seen some Boardwalk Cakes that I like, but I'm worried I'd run into trouble with getting it delivered to the room.

I just don't think one mini cake will be enough. I'm a big cake fan, and could probably eat a single mini cake on my own in a single sitting.

Me too. That's why I've never ordered one. It definitely wouldn't be enough for us, but everyone isn't a icing junky like I am. :laughing: It's good to see I'm not alone. :teeth:

A lot of people have gotten cakes delivered to their resort from Boardwalk Bakery. They seem as reliable as any option. You wouldn't get the excitement of having it delivered to the table, if you went that route though.

Yeah, I'm going to second Tarheelmjfan here on both counts: 1) I'm also a huge frosting fan and consider cake to be merely a vehicle for frosting :teeth: and 2) As long as you place your order through POFQ, you should have no trouble getting a BoardWalk Bakery cake delivered to your room. If you need an excuse, you can pretend that you guys were named the resort's Family of the Day (an actual thing! It happened to me at Pop!) and that's where the cake came from! :rotfl:

I saw a photo on someones trip report of the bakery case at Starring Rolls, and they had the Treasure chest cupcake for $8.99! It's on the Live report thread, next to last page.

I am in the process of ordering my cake for 3/4. They are able to accommodate my requests and design, but they said they will need to double the height of the 6 inch cake to do so. It is just my wife and I (who love cake and will eat leftovers for the rest of the trip!) but is this going to be way too much cake? How tall would this end up being?

Thanks

Cake for DH's surpise 50th birthday...delivered to room and it was as delicious as it looked!!

Chocolate cake with chocolate mousse filling.
P2090018_zps99b4bd50.jpg

Man of the day
P2090019_zps0afa5c21.jpg

Cake cutting with daddy
P2090021_zps64fe64fb.jpg

Does anyone have a list of the fillings available at the CR? I've seen Bavarian crème, and passion fruit mousse I believe, anyone know of others they can do, besides chocolate mousse?
Can you get any with fresh raspberries/strawberries?
Thanks.

Me too. That's why I've never ordered one. It definitely wouldn't be enough for us, but everyone isn't a icing junky like I am. :laughing: It's good to see I'm not alone. :teeth:

A lot of people have gotten cakes delivered to their resort from Boardwalk Bakery. They seem as reliable as any option. You wouldn't get the excitement of having it delivered to the table, if you went that route though.

Yeah, I'm going to second Tarheelmjfan here on both counts: 1) I'm also a huge frosting fan and consider cake to be merely a vehicle for frosting :teeth: and 2) As long as you place your order through POFQ, you should have no trouble getting a BoardWalk Bakery cake delivered to your room. If you need an excuse, you can pretend that you guys were named the resort's Family of the Day (an actual thing! It happened to me at Pop!) and that's where the cake came from! :rotfl:

I think my sister and DH would be ok with just having a few bites, but DS and I would be seriously fighting over the rest of it. He's become quite the frosting junky!
I'm not big into cake either. It's ok, but I like gobs of frosting on top, and if I run out (of frosting that is) I'll often throw the rest of the cake in the garbage.

I saw a photo on someones trip report of the bakery case at Starring Rolls, and they had the Treasure chest cupcake for $8.99! It's on the Live report thread, next to last page.

Oooooh!

Cake for DH's surpise 50th birthday...delivered to room and it was as delicious as it looked!!

Chocolate cake with chocolate mousse filling.
P2090018_zps99b4bd50.jpg

That's such an adorable cake. How much did it cost, and where did you have it delivered?

What size cake should I order for 6 adults and 2 children (ages 6 and 3, both who eat cake)? One of the adults isn't a huge fan of cake, but loves icing so will have one piece most likely. The other 5 adults all love cake.

I would love to have Chef Brian make it, so I'm thinking about having it delivered to our reservation at Tony's in MK. If we do that, we likely won't have a place to put it right away as we have reservations for the Dessert Party that night as well. Would it be OK without refrigeration for a while if we had leftovers? (Or if we wanted to wait til the party to eat it?) What have others done with the cake if you're not leaving the park right away?

Does anyone have a list of the fillings available at the CR? I've seen Bavarian crème, and passion fruit mousse I believe, anyone know of others they can do, besides chocolate mousse?
Can you get any with fresh raspberries/strawberries?
Thanks.

I'd just go by the list in the first post of this thread and ask them if the one you want is an option. Their standard flavors are the ones listed in the info for the Contemporary in Post #2.

I've never heard of anyone being told they couldn't have fresh raspberries or strawberries. :thumbsup2

What size cake should I order for 6 adults and 2 children (ages 6 and 3, both who eat cake)? One of the adults isn't a huge fan of cake, but loves icing so will have one piece most likely. The other 5 adults all love cake.

Disney recommends an 8-inch.

Would it be OK without refrigeration for a while if we had leftovers? (Or if we wanted to wait til the party to eat it?) What have others done with the cake if you're not leaving the park right away?

It should be fine; it just might get a little droopy depending on whether it's covered in buttercream or fondant. I'd put it in a locker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter