Official DISNEY Cake Chatter Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where: California Grill
When: Monday, March 8th
Cost: $120

Here is the cake I ordered for my DH's birthday last week. I asked for a grumpy themed cake and I told them that I wanted to play up the beautiful scenery from the movie. I gave them ideas of the mine, and jewels. I also asked for a chocolate mousse filling. Instead I got a vanilla pastry cream filling. it was a good tasting cake, but I will never ever waste my money on a cake again. This is the second time I have ordered a cake to be delivered to a restaurant for a special occasion and both times have been a disappointment. Next time I am going to take the $120 and buy more wine.

Jennifer

So sorry for the bad experience!!

I would absolutely want my money back as well and you have every right!! I'm having a hard time waiting in anticipation of what my dd's cake is going to look like next week. and now i am pretty sure I'm freaking out! :scared1:

Write to California Grill and tell them what you ordered, including the flavors and decorations (include dates, times and names if you have them), tell them what you got and even include a picture of your cake. What is so disappointing is that most of the time when people order cakes they have something specific in mind and for us DISsers we have seen pictures of cakes so we have an expectation of what we should get. Then when what you are delivered looks like it came from an apprentice at a local grocery store to say that you are disappointed is an understatement.

I know for me personally I was super excited to order a cake since it was going to be the very first time we'd be in Disney on my birthday instead of leaving a day or two before. I had seen cakes that had been done at AKV and they were pretty great. What I got looked awful and was honestly inedible. While it didn't ruin my trip or even my stay at AKV I did learn that I'll never again order a cake because there doesn't seem to be any way to know if you are going to get a hit or a miss. If I order from Publix I at least know what I'm going to get and I have yet to be disappointed with them.

Let California Grill know what your expectations were, what you ordered and let them see what you got. Include a few pictures of other cakes that you've seen done at California Grill. What you got was not a $120 cake and more along the lines of a $40 cake from the grocer. Sorry you had such a bad cake experience but at least you said your cake tasted good, that is a little something. :goodvibes
All good advice, and I am going to do just that. I just feel like, much like many things at Disney, that unless you are "in the know" about what you have to request, who you have to talk to, etc. you are apt to get screwed.

That said, I did have the vacation of a lifetime last week and I am not going to let a crappy cake ruin that.

Jennifer

Here is the cake I ordered for my DH's birthday last week. I asked for a grumpy themed cake and I told them that I wanted to play up the beautiful scenery from the movie. I gave them ideas of the mine, and jewels. I also asked for a chocolate mousse filling. Instead I got a vanilla pastry cream filling. it was a good tasting cake, but I will never ever waste my money on a cake again. This is the second time I have ordered a cake to be delivered to a restaurant for a special occasion and both times have been a disappointment. Next time I am going to take the $120 and buy more wine.

Jennifer

4438965159_615f9ec33f.jpg

That's no Cakemanbri cake! :scared1:

Talking about no consistancy from the CR!:headache:
So sorry about your mishap!
I can't believe the CG even went on to CHARGE you $120 for this cake! :confused3

and the other thing? I followed all of the directions to the T to get what I wanted. I have been following this thread for over a year now so I could make sure that I could get a great cake and all the evidence pointed to the CG being a great place to get a cake. You can tell that this was a generic cake and at the last second, without checking the filling or anything, that they stuck some cheap plastic trees, a couple of jelly beans, and a crappy white chocolate grumpy on top and called it a day.

Jennifer

and the other thing? I followed all of the directions to the T to get what I wanted. I have been following this thread for over a year now so I could make sure that I could get a great cake and all the evidence pointed to the CG being a great place to get a cake. You can tell that this was a generic cake and at the last second, without checking the filling or anything, that they stuck some cheap plastic trees, a couple of jelly beans, and a crappy white chocolate grumpy on top and called it a day.

Jennifer

Does anyone have Cakemanbri's email? I think I would send him a picture and explain what happened. If I were in charge of the bakery at the Contemporary, I would want to know about something like that being delivered. I cannot believe an actual pastry chef would let that out of the kitchen.

Jennifer

This is what makes it even sadder. :hug:

Just keep to your guns and follow through with this. Remember, the squeeky wheel gets the grease.

Glad you had a great trip other than this mishap.:thumbsup2

Jennifer

That is exactly what happened to me with AKV and what makes it that much worse. I hope you follow up with them and hopefully they'll make sure that cake doesn't happen to anyone else.

That is exactly what happened to me with AKV and what makes it that much worse. I hope you follow up with them and hopefully they'll make sure that cake doesn't happen to anyone else.
Will do. I emailed them the picture and the receipt along with a description of what I asked for. lets see what happens!

Jennifer

This was a cake I had ordered from Pat at GF for dinner at 1900 Park Fare last year on my husband's birthday. It was an 8" vanilla with bavarian custard and fresh strawberry filling with buttercream icing. I wanted something for my husband and both my daughters for their birthdays(all within 5 days!:scared1:) Everything was edible on this cake except for the thread of pearls. It was the best cake ever!!! Cost was $60.00 plus tax, gratuity was NOT included.

2009chocworldzoodisney544.jpg

2009chocworldzoodisney542.jpg

4438965159_615f9ec33f.jpg

Oh no! There is NO way that cake is worth $120. I can't believe they charged you that price and kept a straight face. That looks like a $10 grocery store cake to me. :sad2:

I'm so very sorry. :(

Makes it bad when you see an amazing cake (thinking of the Pirate/Tink one just posted above) for $60 and then a not so good looking one for $120, just seems like there is something really really wrong with that. :sad2:

Unfortunately Disney is the one who is losing out b/c Guess What??? I am NOT ordering a cake now!! They don't seem to have their stuff together and it seems to be hit or miss. Until they get it together, they have lost out on an extra $120 and I bet I'm not the only one who feels this way! Word of mouth works wonders! :rolleyes1

For the pp who was looking for ideas for their DS and DD-Look at my pictures on page 8 of our cake. It was a pirate theme with Tinkerbell! It was wonderful!!

Glad that you loved your cake! :thumbsup2 Just wondering when you got it, and how much it cost (if you don't mind sharing the cost)

Thanks in advance! :goodvibes

Did confirm that the cake (pictured on page 7 in post 95) was $135. Purchased at California Grill on March 10.

What a difference in cake (vs the Grumpy cake) for the $15 difference in price!

you poor thing getting that Grumpy cake. And all that money!!!

Be interested to hear what they say about it - particularly cakemanbri :goodvibes

Jennifer

Jennifer, If you go the the old cake pictures thread about 3 or 4 pages back, you can see my Mickey Pirate cake I order for my DS's Birthday Party at Chef Mickey's. I was somewhat unhappy with it, although they did a great job with the taste - it was moist and the custard filling was correct. It just wasn't as great as I expected after all the pics I'd seen on the Dis. I paid $80 for mine, and it is slightly more decorated than yours is. It was a 10 inch, vanilla custard filled, with a Mickey White Chocolate cut out, some plastic trees, coins, rocks, sand, and other icing decorations. I mean, I was happy that the boys got a cake and they were overjoyed, but I just thought it would have been better. As for the one you got, I hate to say, it's not impressive for the price AT ALL! I'd have been livid! Did you talk to Jerry at CR? Good luck with getting some resolution. I didn't try to, because we were okay with what we got, and will always order again, even if it wasn't what I'd thought it would be.

omg that Grumpy cake is hideous. I would be livid for $120, you could have gotten a heck of a lot better cake at Publix.

just bumping up my question froma few pages back...i know ive probably read this already, but cant remember....are crt and the gf - 1900pf the only places that will serve the chocolate slipper? thanks guys!

just bumping up my question froma few pages back...i know ive probably read this already, but cant remember....are crt and the gf - 1900pf the only places that will serve the chocolate slipper? thanks guys!

Any of the GF restaurants along with Cinderella's Royal Table offer the slipper dessert. :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter