Official Castaway Cay 5K Thread

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by ajstaud, Sep 4, 2011.

1. amanda202

amanda202 Earning My Ears

Congrats on finishing!! Good for you for hanging in there. That's very inspiring :)

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Terapin

Terapin DIS Veteran

That is awesome! I did the CC 5k too but they didn't have any medals. Any chance you'd be willing to send a perfect stranger fellow 5ker your duplicate? I was desperately disappointed to not get one after our race.

In any case, good for you! I hope you are proud of yourself!

4. GBBTomorrow

GBBTomorrow DIS Veteran

You absolutely rock! Congratulations, and may everybody in your life be touched by your amazing spirit!!

5. eyesing4u

eyesing4u DVC Member

PM your address. I would be happy to!

6. Terapin

Terapin DIS Veteran

THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I contacted DCL and they weren't able to help!

Will PM you shortly. Thanks again!

7. TitanBrett

TitanBrett Mouseketeer

Just to update on the age thing. My 8 year old did the race in October with no issues. This past weekend 2/2/13 they did say it was for 12+ only but she could race along side a parent but couldnt have her own bib. She had a great race, 30 minutes!

They gave her a medal at the end. I gave her my bib. The CM indicated that they had some type of issue with a small child and the heat and thats why the change even though its not really enforced.

To the people asking about GPS on the ship, it definitely does work on Deck 4, I have used my Nike+ app several times.

8. jfahome

jfahome DIS Veteran

When or even do we need to sign up for the 5K or just show up?

9. Weedy

Weedy DIS Veteran

Here's lots of info

Edited to add that I merged the threads so no need for the link anymore...I deleted it.

MJ

10. SageFemme

SageFemme Mouseketeer

Thank you for this update! I came back to this thread to ask just this question. My 9 yr old and I are doing the C25K and she was pretty disappointed when she found out that she wasn't able to do this.

11. Piglets Mommy

Piglets Mommy <font color=blue>New Rule:<br><marquee><font color

Ok... Here's how it went for us....we met and left the ship at 8:30 as soon as they announced guests could go ashore. Walked out to the area by Pelican point. Some people took longer than others, and I'd say it was almost 9 by the time the race actually started. I did what you all are planning.... Had DS's swim trunks in the beach bag and he just ran over to the bathroom and changed after he ran. I'm not sure that you would make it back to the ship to meet in Vibe by 9:30 though. I wonder if they would just let you meet up with them once they get to the island so you could do both? Whatever you decide, have fun!!!

12. snorder

snorder Earning My Ears

Does anyone know if you get a medal or anything for finishing the 5k? Is there a limit on how many runners can enter? What time does it begin?

13. mrssmiddy

mrssmiddy Mouseketeer

Yes, you get a medal for finishing the 5K. To my knowledge there is no limit to the number of runners. You just have to pay attention to the navigator for the time and place to show up for sign up, which is the morning of your arrival at Castaway Cay. There are t-shirts available for purchase at the shop right at the start / finish line, but from what I have heard, there are limited supplies. My DH and I both got one, but we made sure we got them right away just to be sure. Have fun!

[​IMG]

14. snorder

snorder Earning My Ears

Thank you for the info and picture!

15. mmouse37

mmouse37 DCL Diva!!

According to other posters the medal is hit or miss and they don't always have shirts availalbe. I am going to merge this thread with the existing one for more answers for you.

MJ

16. SandyandKaren

SandyandKaren Earning My Ears

Just got off the Disney Dream. The 5K group of runners ( there were about 60 of us) met at 0815 at Evolution. We picked up our bib numbers there. At 0830 we walked to the Start/Finish line on Castaway Cay for a 0900 start. The course is well marked and 2 crew members were handing out water after the loop. At the end, medals were handed out. We didn't get our T-shirts until after we went back to the ship for breakfast, but there was a rack with about 10 shirts on it.

17. Steve Dexter

Steve Dexter Would rather be at Satellite Falls

I just got off the Fantasy and ran the 5K. It was awesome! There were plenty of "winner" medals for everyone and the staff was great. 65 or so people ran it. There was no shortage of 5K t-shirts. I really enjoyed it.

18. snorder

snorder Earning My Ears

Thank you!

19. snorder

snorder Earning My Ears

Are the shirts for sale? Is there a fee for the 5k?

20. Steve Dexter

Steve Dexter Would rather be at Satellite Falls

There is no fee for the 5K, but there is a charge for the shirts, it seemed to be the same as other t-shirts. It was well worth it.

21. runskyhy

runskyhy It's not less monkey, it's Moe Monkey!

We ran this last Sunday, while on a 4-nt. Wonder sailing... excellent weather for it! It was well-organized, meeting in Diversions at 8:30AM, and walking out to the start as a group. I noticed that several people who showed up for a race bib didn't bring their ID, and the CMs were very clear that you needed an ID, along with your Key Card, to receive one. The plastic winners 'metals' were handed to us as we crossed the finish - definitely fun! I didn't see anyone handing out water, but there is a water fountain at the nearby restrooms. There were white 5K t-shirts still available for purchase at the shop next to the bike rentals. The 5K logo on the shirt was the logo on the bib. I think they were around $20 each.