Official Castaway Cay 5K Thread

eyesing4u said:
I just did my first 5k yesterday on CC. Finished dead last at 63 minutes. I'm glad I did it though. I've had two back surgeries and almost gave up. We received bibs and a Mickey shaped medal that said WINNER on it. The cast member on the course said that they would deliver certificates to our rooms, but we got nothing. I called guest services about it that night and they said they would take care of it but all they left at the room was more medals and a nice journal. I would have liked the certificate but oh well!

Congrats on finishing!! Good for you for hanging in there. That's very inspiring :)

I just did my first 5k yesterday on CC. Finished dead last at 63 minutes. I'm glad I did it though. I've had two back surgeries and almost gave up. We received bibs and a Mickey shaped medal that said WINNER on it. The cast member on the course said that they would deliver certificates to our rooms, but we got nothing. I called guest services about it that night and they said they would take care of it but all they left at the room was more medals and a nice journal. I would have liked the certificate but oh well!

That is awesome! I did the CC 5k too but they didn't have any medals. Any chance you'd be willing to send a perfect stranger fellow 5ker your duplicate? I was desperately disappointed to not get one after our race.

In any case, good for you! I hope you are proud of yourself!

nannylori said:
Just did my first 5K,two weeks ago, with two new feet and my first pair of Nike crosstrainers in YEARS!! Due to Lyme Arthritis,had to have the bones in my feet broken and straightened and after a gazillion years of pain and two years of recovery,I finished the 5k in 40 minutes,walking quickly thru the whole thing. There was a man with a toddler on his shoulders near me most of the time and I was determined to finish in front of him. The 4 times DH & I have been to CC,I could only dream about being able to simply walk that route. Now,on our 3/9 cruise, I'm going for it-a tad anxious, but I'll finally be a participant instead of a spectator. Sometimes it isn't just a 5k...........:hippie:

You absolutely rock! Congratulations, and may everybody in your life be touched by your amazing spirit!!

Terapin said:
That is awesome! I did the CC 5k too but they didn't have any medals. Any chance you'd be willing to send a perfect stranger fellow 5ker your duplicate? I was desperately disappointed to not get one after our race.

In any case, good for you! I hope you are proud of yourself!

PM your address. I would be happy to!

THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I contacted DCL and they weren't able to help!

Will PM you shortly. Thanks again!

Just to update on the age thing. My 8 year old did the race in October with no issues. This past weekend 2/2/13 they did say it was for 12+ only but she could race along side a parent but couldnt have her own bib. She had a great race, 30 minutes!

They gave her a medal at the end. I gave her my bib. The CM indicated that they had some type of issue with a small child and the heat and thats why the change even though its not really enforced.

To the people asking about GPS on the ship, it definitely does work on Deck 4, I have used my Nike+ app several times.

Here's lots of info

Edited to add that I merged the threads so no need for the link anymore...I deleted it.

MJ

Just to update on the age thing. My 8 year old did the race in October with no issues. This past weekend 2/2/13 they did say it was for 12+ only but she could race along side a parent but couldnt have her own bib. She had a great race, 30 minutes!

They gave her a medal at the end. I gave her my bib. The CM indicated that they had some type of issue with a small child and the heat and thats why the change even though its not really enforced.

To the people asking about GPS on the ship, it definitely does work on Deck 4, I have used my Nike+ app several times.

Thank you for this update! I came back to this thread to ask just this question. My 9 yr old and I are doing the C25K and she was pretty disappointed when she found out that she wasn't able to do this.

runDisney said:
Has anyone done both the 5K and the Wild Teen Adventure on CC?

Last year by the time we left the ship from Vibe it was almost 9:30. The 5K was scheduled from 8:30-9:30, I figure I have time to do both.

I planned to drop off my swimming shorts and stuff to my parents and picking it up from the beach when the run was over :beach:

:scratchin What do you think?

Ok... Here's how it went for us....we met and left the ship at 8:30 as soon as they announced guests could go ashore. Walked out to the area by Pelican point. Some people took longer than others, and I'd say it was almost 9 by the time the race actually started. I did what you all are planning.... Had DS's swim trunks in the beach bag and he just ran over to the bathroom and changed after he ran. I'm not sure that you would make it back to the ship to meet in Vibe by 9:30 though. I wonder if they would just let you meet up with them once they get to the island so you could do both? Whatever you decide, have fun!!!

Does anyone know if you get a medal or anything for finishing the 5k? Is there a limit on how many runners can enter? What time does it begin?

Does anyone know if you get a medal or anything for finishing the 5k? Is there a limit on how many runners can enter?

Yes, you get a medal for finishing the 5K. To my knowledge there is no limit to the number of runners. You just have to pay attention to the navigator for the time and place to show up for sign up, which is the morning of your arrival at Castaway Cay. There are t-shirts available for purchase at the shop right at the start / finish line, but from what I have heard, there are limited supplies. My DH and I both got one, but we made sure we got them right away just to be sure. Have fun!

IMG_20121112_090655_757.jpg

mrssmiddy said:
Yes, you get a medal for finishing the 5K. To my knowledge there is no limit to the number of runners. You just have to pay attention to the navigator for the time and place to show up for sign up, which is the morning of your arrival at Castaway Cay. There are t-shirts available for purchase at the shop right at the start / finish line, but from what I have heard, there are limited supplies. My DH and I both got one, but we made sure we got them right away just to be sure. Have fun!

Thank you for the info and picture!

According to other posters the medal is hit or miss and they don't always have shirts availalbe. I am going to merge this thread with the existing one for more answers for you.

MJ

Just got off the Disney Dream. The 5K group of runners ( there were about 60 of us) met at 0815 at Evolution. We picked up our bib numbers there. At 0830 we walked to the Start/Finish line on Castaway Cay for a 0900 start. The course is well marked and 2 crew members were handing out water after the loop. At the end, medals were handed out. We didn't get our T-shirts until after we went back to the ship for breakfast, but there was a rack with about 10 shirts on it.

I just got off the Fantasy and ran the 5K. It was awesome! There were plenty of "winner" medals for everyone and the staff was great. 65 or so people ran it. There was no shortage of 5K t-shirts. I really enjoyed it.

mmouse37 said:
According to other posters the medal is hit or miss and they don't always have shirts availalbe. I am going to merge this thread with the existing one for more answers for you.

MJ

Thank you!

Steve Dexter said:
I just got off the Fantasy and ran the 5K. It was awesome! There were plenty of "winner" medals for everyone and the staff was great. 65 or so people ran it. There was no shortage of 5K t-shirts. I really enjoyed it.

Are the shirts for sale? Is there a fee for the 5k?

There is no fee for the 5K, but there is a charge for the shirts, it seemed to be the same as other t-shirts. It was well worth it.

We ran this last Sunday, while on a 4-nt. Wonder sailing... excellent weather for it! It was well-organized, meeting in Diversions at 8:30AM, and walking out to the start as a group. I noticed that several people who showed up for a race bib didn't bring their ID, and the CMs were very clear that you needed an ID, along with your Key Card, to receive one. The plastic winners 'metals' were handed to us as we crossed the finish - definitely fun! I didn't see anyone handing out water, but there is a water fountain at the nearby restrooms. There were white 5K t-shirts still available for purchase at the shop next to the bike rentals. The 5K logo on the shirt was the logo on the bib. I think they were around $20 each.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter