Official Castaway Cay 5K Thread

How far in miles is a 5K? :hourglass

I may be interested in walking it on the 1/31/13 Dream Cruise if it is offered, as I am starting a "walking challenge" from work on 1/8/13 for 5 weeks. That would be more motivation for me to walk extra :idea:

I already do about 8 miles of walking a week :cheer2: but I am NOT a runner :eek:

I walked a 1/2 marathon in 2003 in Hawaii for the American Stroke Association :woohoo:

princess: Leah

I love my plastic junky medal. Love it. I turned 49 in August, started running in September and ran the CC5K in Dec. I was thrilled to get that medal.. You know what they say "One man's junk ...".

And the new medals have not arrived yet. Three ships are out. Only the Fantasy has them now.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I do not know if the kids club will be open and at what times on CC day but in general you are allowed off the ship in ports while your kids are in the kids clubs. There is no rule you have to stay onboard while they are in the clubs.

MJ

Someone mentioned putting their kid in a stroller, but then I never saw anything else about that. Is it possible to do the race with a kid in a stroller? Thanks!

There was a baby in a stroller, father, and grandfather together doing it last fall on our cruise.

The run is entirely paved on either the runway or the bike path. It's very wide.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

It was paved. The route went along the path to the lookout tower and then back out to the strip towards the adult beach and back.

Family fun said:
Can you leave the kids at the youth club to run? I have not looked into the policy of leaving kids on the ship.

My husband and I did this back in July. We brought our 3 kids with us to the meeting location where you pick up your bib and sign in. We then walked with the runners group off the boat. On the way to the starting location of the 5k we dropped off our 10 and 4 year old at the kids club in Castaway Cay. The kids club onboard the ship was closed. We had plenty of time to sign kids in and meet up with group at starting line. My 12 year old just found herself a spot on the beach and read a book. Unfortunately we did not pay attention to where she was exactly (realized afterward many landmarks are the same!) and after the race it took me forever to find her!

I have to say, it was interesting to do, but never again I think. It was too hectic for me and I am on vacation for all this craziness on this beautiful beach, lol!!!!

I really wanted a medal, junky or otherwise :-(

All I was trying to say is that there seemed to be a lot of inconsistency about people's experiences with getting them- some loved them, some hated them, some weren't given one at all. I'm all about getting a medal ift hey're available. My DH has threatened to make me one out of tin foil if they don't have them at the race... :0

Hello everyone. Are there age limitations for the 5K run in Castaway Cay? I'm in my HS XC & Track Team, I'm 15 and would like to do the run.

Does anyone know if there are restrictions?

The last time I did the CC 5K, there were kids under 12 even who were running with their families. It is a fun run and you are kind of out there on your own.

Enjoy!

Has anyone run the 5K during the past few weeks? If so, has DCL been giving medals to the runners? I read somewhere that DCL had stopped doing this, but was going to begin again after they made some adjustments to the medals. Does anyone know if they have started again and how the medals have changed? THANKS!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter