Official Castaway Cay 5K Thread

On Jan 13th on the Wonder they gave out medals. However on the Dream in October they did NOT have medals.

Do you think they are given on some ships, but not others? We will be on the Dream in 2 weeks, and DD really wants one as a souvenier.

I think the minimum age is 12, but I could be wrong. We did it on Jan. 12, on the Dream, and did not get a medal. When we did it last March, on the Magic, we did receive a medal. It seems encouraging that someone recently got one on the Fantasy. :)
Even if there are no medals, you get a bib and a certificate. Considering its free, its worth doing.

Cruising with my beastie and our little ones. Can I leave my 7 year old on board in the kids club while I do the 5k?

It depends on if the clubs are open, some open real late, 12ish, and don't do much. They have a fantastic kids program on the island though.

We were able to drop our toddler off at Small World Nursery before we ran the 5K. For the older kids, on-ship youth activities aren't listed open during the day (according to the Navigator I have in front of me, they were open 4:30-midnight on CC day). That being said, on the insert, the Oceaneer Club has an open house starting at 9:30. What I'd do is stop by at some point early in the trip and ask what sort of arrangements can be made. With the 5K being ages 12+, I'm sure there's some sort of arrangement for kids to have a place to go while their parents run.

I believe the nursery is open onboard for the littlest ones. The Oceaneers Club/Lab have open house during Castaway Cay but the secured programming is moved to Scuttles Cove on the island. I believe that opens at 9:00am but I think (not positive) that some people have reported being allowed a slightly earlier drop-off for the 5K. I'd suggest asking at the Club/Lab before expecting it.

I've done the CC5K a few times on the Dream. The CC5K is fun, but it isn't formal. It's a 5K in the sense that a bunch of people are running 3.1 miles at the same time. That's about it. When I've run, I've gotten nothing, or just the certificate, the medal or both. Sometimes it was timed and sometimes it wasn't. Once the runners even took a photo with workout-Goofy (that was neat). It seems random. If it makes any difference, the medal is the same plastic mickey medal that they give out all over the ship. We played a trivia game in one of the clubs and got the same medals. I came home with 6 of them.

Word of warning - it's always HOT. Drink lots of water and have fun!

I have heard of others dropping the kids off at Scuttle's Cove (on the island rather than on the ship) prior to running the 5K. I've run the race and it is a fun little course and I got to see parts of the island I've never taken the time to see before. Info from Disboards on Scuttles Cove:

"Children's Program Area - If you want your kids to take part in the kids' programs on Castaway Cay day, you will check them into the program right at Scuttle's Cove. (The program counselors have laptop computers with the check-in information). This area is located AWAY from the water and the counselors will not take the children near the water.

The fun, sandy play area features Monstro Point, a "whale dig" site complete with jumbo-sized whale bones. Several activities for the different kids age groups are planned throughout the day here. The programming closes down at 3:30 so the counselors can move from the island to the ship."

Does anyone know what time in the morning the Fantasy usually arrives? We would like to watch her sail in. I can't seem to find the thread where this was mentioned several days ago.

Agree with PP. If the ships are on schedule they arrive very early in the morning. Debarkation begins is usually around 7:30am and the ship has been in port for a while before that. While you may be able to watch from elsewhere, I don't believe you'd be allowed into the port/terminal area at that time.

I can see the port from my hotel room window. I will set my alarm for 5 and hope I can catch her. Thank you.

I'll be watching on the port cam...I take night duty with our new puppy ;)
Set your alarm about 4:50 am and you'll see her come in! So excited for you! I love watching the ship come in knowing I'm going to sailing on her that day :flower3:

Sometimes if I remember I catch her sailing out too so wave to the camera (from Fishlips restaurant):cheer2:

Have a FANTASTIC cruise!pixiedust:

DH and I ran the CC 5k on January 15 during our DREAM cruise. No medal and no running bib. I was disappointed but not surprised. I keep reading that it's very hit or miss with all of the race details and such :sad1:
They did, however, hand out "race certificates" at the finish line...

DH and I ran the CC 5k on January 15 during our DREAM cruise. There was over 75 ppl! Not surprising since our cruise directly followed the 20th ann Marathon at WDW. Many walkers/joggers/runners of all ages and fitness levels. It's a "fun run" and there is no pressure to finish quickly.
No medal and no running bib. I was disappointed but not surprised. I keep reading that it's very hit or miss with all of the race details and such :sad1:
They did, however, hand out "race certificates" at the finish line...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!