Official Birthday/Anniversary Cake thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK...I really need some help from the experts here! We will be having lunch at the Crystal Palace for my daughter's birthday (she will be 3). I indicated this when we made the reservation and the CM told me to again inform the CMs when we check in for lunch. I am really not expecting anything in terms of birthday treats, etc. however I have heard that people have received anything from a small cupcake to an actual cake. We will be doing the Wishes Cruise that same evening and I was originally planning on ordering a cake to have on the boat but now I'm starting to worry that two cakes in a day might be too much for her (talk about a sugar rush!). So, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what might potentially be provided in terms of some sort of cake at the Crystal Palace or alternatively, how I would go about ordering a cake to be served for my daughter's birthday lunch. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

I read the first dozen or so pages of this thread... so my apologies if I missed something.

We're going to celebrate DSD7's eigth birthday the day we go to the Pirate and Princess party. I have an ADR for LTT at 5:10 on the 15th of August.

I know that she would be thrilled with anything even the "generic" $12.50 cake. So that's probably what they'll do... unless...

Can they really do ANY character (except Pixar and Pooh)? While I admit, DSD7 and I are the only people who like this movie, I would pay the extra money if we could get her a Treasure Planet cake with Jim Hawkins on it. I know if I asked her to pick a favorite she'd pick Ariel BUT there's SO MUCH princess stuff that it's not like she'd be missing out on something Ariel if she didn't get a custom cake with her on it. Treasure Planet is also one of her favorite movies, and it's a damned shame that we know we won't see jack squat from it in the parks :(

Another question, unrelated to the one I asked above.

Since ADRs are stored under your phone number if you're staying off property*, would it be possible for me to order a surprise cake for someone?

I would love to surprise my mother with a Sorcerer Mickey cake on one of their trips down to WDW. If I have their phone number, and can confirm their information for the CM on the phone... I mean, why wouldn't they take my money? :rotfl:

I could involve my father in the planning, but I think it'd be more fun if they were both surprised. Honestly I'd prefer to make the cake for both of them, but knowing my mother Sorcerer Mickey is the best choice. Dad'll be thrilled with anything.

Or is looking up their ADRs not enough? It sounds like I'd have to call the resort/park/restaurant themselves in order to set this up. Still, if the CM can give me that information (not counting on it) it should still get me in the right direction, right? Anyone else ever done anything similar?

*My parents will ALWAYS stay off property, since they own a condo in Kissimmee. So there's little to no chance they'd up and decide to stay on property.

The Boardwalk Bakery number is incorrect. That number gets you to "Disney Private Dining". I tried twice and got the same person who said she would transfer me, but it just disconnected me. They were not very helpful.

Apparently, for the FF Cafe one has to order through the BW Bakery. Does anyone have the correct number?

I believe it is the correct number because they do not want anyone calling BW Bakery directly. You are getting private dining for BWI which should be able to handle a cake order for in room or any of the BW restaurants. But my experience was similar - I originally wanted to pick up a cake from the bakery - I was told it was impossible once, I was told another time she would take the order and forward to the bakery, I was given the offer of a transfer and disconnected and then was finally connected to the bakery ... where I got a man who spoke no English and transferred me back to private dining. I was unable to get a direct line even though I asked.

In the end, I called BC where we stayed and their private dining arranged for a cake from BW Bakery to be delivered to our room. It was a hassle and a half, LOL, but the cake was yummy.

If BW's private dining won't help, I would get FF's number and call them directly. I think they will be easier to reach than the bakery directly, unfortunately.

Here's the cake we ordered for my parents at Tony's at MK last year.

dis_cake.jpg

It's a really nice cake, very moist and delicious.

We've also ordered a mini castle cake from the GF Bakery this year for mother's day since we are staying at GF! Can't wait till they deliver it!

How far in advance can you order? I'm doing all the dining planning now and I like to have all my ducks in a row, so to speak, in advance. We're not going until mid-July, but should I place my cake order now? I know they need ATLEAST 48 hours, but can I place the order 2 months early? I just would like to get it out of the way now. What do you think? :confused3

How far in advance can you order? I'm doing all the dining planning now and I like to have all my ducks in a row, so to speak, in advance. We're not going until mid-July, but should I place my cake order now? I know they need ATLEAST 48 hours, but can I place the order 2 months early? I just would like to get it out of the way now. What do you think? :confused3

Well, you can but that is pretty early. If you do, I suggest calling again right before to make sure they still have it in their records.

Personally, I would wait till about a week or two before and no earlier.

Also, always mention it again at the podium.

I am sorry, but i really need to vent on this one.

I called the Magic Kingdom Bakery to place 2 orders one for CRT and one for CP. I left a message. The girl who called me back seemed nothing but annoyed to be helping me. She was not helpful and half the time she was not listening because she would say yea..ok...wait, what? grrr. So i asked her PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't call the number in whicch the ressie was under. My mom made all ressies and i am doing this as a surprise for her, it's her 50th bday. So i gave her my cell and my name and again begged her not to cal the other number. I get a call from my mom today saying that the Magic Kingdom bakery left her a message saying there was a problem with the order i placed yesterday! I quickly covered by telling my mom that i had gotten a cake for my aunt (who's also celebrating a bday) and i was sorry. I WAS LIVID!!! i guess i should have calmed down before i left the message b/c even my husband was shocked at how rude i was with leaving the message. So this same girl calls me back and says....i'm sorry you can't have the choclate slipper dessert @ the CP...this once again confirms that she was not listening at all...i wanted that dessert for CRT! i went over the ENTIRE order with her (she was thrilled as you can imagine) to make sure she had it right this time. i don't mean to be one of those people, but is there some one i can go to about this. I mean this is Disney and i am spending $150 on cakes!!!! i am so sorry this is sooo long! thanks for listening!

Is it just me or as you read through this entire thread(which I have twice now) doesn't it seem likely over the past few years the service for special cakes has gotten very poor? Do you think that the staff really doesn't like doing the special order cakes. :confused3

PrincessKellen74, I'm sorry for what happened. Last year when I ordered my cake from the MK bakery the person was really helpful and the cake turned out to be what I wanted. Maybe it's just the person this time?

I'm not sure if the services for cake ordering has gone down in the past few years since we just started ordering cakes last year. But we just talked to the GF private dining for a mother's day cake the past weekend and the girl was nice and she knew right away what we wanted.

Well there are bad CMs every once in a while, I guess...:confused3

i agree with you. I remember when the big problem was with the Grand Floridian. I had NO PROBLEM at all with the 5 other restaraunts (my sp stinks) doing the cakes. EVeryone was more then happy to help, esp. Coral Reef, Nick was fantastic! I really wish they would do something about this, it took away from my excitment that i had to deal with this *****. I mean if i could have i would have gone somewhere else...but i guess that's their thoughts as well....we have no where else to go, theres only one number and they can treat us how they want. I was super excited about it all, but now im just...well..grrrrrr. lol

Disney fanatic- i am so glad to hear you had a great CM. I just hope it all works out...i will be beyond livid if its wrong. I want to enjoy this trip, not worry about it. It is wat it is now i guess!

Maybe you can call again about 1 week before you go and double check? And hopefully some other CM will answer your call and give you reassurance?!:scratchin

Hey guys, I am SO EXCITED! I just got off the phone with Melanie at GF Private Dining (I HIGHLY suggest speaking with her, she was phenominal! Very helpful and knew what she was doing!) and was able to order an amazing cake!

I had an issue because there is only 2 of us going to WDW, but I also wanted a personalized cake. We're staying at the GF and having dinner at Narcoosee's the night of the b-day cake. I didn't want to purchase the big 10" cake because it feeds 16 people! I explained this to her, and she said she would call the GF Bakery and ask if they could personalize a 6" cake for me so I could choose my own filling/frosting/cake instead of just having plain chocolate/chocolate or vanilla/vanilla. She took my phone number and said she would call me right back. Well, I didn't expect to hear back from her tonight, but she called me back within 20 minutes! She told me I could do the 6" cake and personalize it however I wanted! :woohoo:

This is what I ordered:

* 6" round
* Vanilla cake
* Fruit mousse with fresh strawberries
* Chocolate buttercream icing
* "Happy Birthday Mom!" written on it
* And I was able to have the $15 white chocolate castle placed beside the cake on the plate since there would not be enough room on the actual cake

Since it was a pretty specific cake, I was charged $25 for the 6" instead of the usual $12.50, but it's worth it to me! I'm so excited! I can't wait to get down there and eat it, my mouth is already drooling! :dance3:

Disney Fanatic- GREAT IDEA!!! that helps. my mind is still stuck on frustration! this is why these bnoards are GREAT! thanks:thumbsup2

Just wanted to post a positive experience I had today ordering a cake. The cake is for May 10th and I have been meaning to call about 2 weeks prior, finally called today.

I called the number for 1900 Park Fare posted on the first page of this very helpful thread and left a detailed message for our cake order. Linda called me back within 2 hours and left me a voicemail. I'm assuming it's the same Linda from Private Dining that others have had good experiences with. She left a different number. Called the number and spoke to Melanie. I did ask for Linda, but Melanie took my order. From what I gathered Linda handles more detailed / unique orders.
Ordered an 8 inch with Sleeping Beauty silk screened. She took my credit card number for a hold. She re-confirmed the entire order.

I was expecting it to take longer. No problems.
Just wanted to share.

Just wanted to post a positive experience I had today ordering a cake. The cake is for May 10th and I have been meaning to call about 2 weeks prior, finally called today.

I called the number for 1900 Park Fare posted on the first page of this very helpful thread and left a detailed message for our cake order. Linda called me back within 2 hours and left me a voicemail. I'm assuming it's the same Linda from Private Dining that others have had good experiences with. She left a different number. Called the number and spoke to Melanie. I did ask for Linda, but Melanie took my order. From what I gathered Linda handles more detailed / unique orders.
Ordered an 8 inch with Sleeping Beauty silk screened. She took my credit card number for a hold. She re-confirmed the entire order.

I was expecting it to take longer. No problems.
Just wanted to share.

Wasn't Melanie awesome?! :woohoo: She took my order today too and was fantastic! Does anyone know where I can fill out like a customer card saying how great she was?

Hey guys, I am SO EXCITED! I just got off the phone with Melanie at GF Private Dining (I HIGHLY suggest speaking with her, she was phenominal! Very helpful and knew what she was doing!) and was able to order an amazing cake!

I had an issue because there is only 2 of us going to WDW, but I also wanted a personalized cake. We're staying at the GF and having dinner at Narcoosee's the night of the b-day cake. I didn't want to purchase the big 10" cake because it feeds 16 people! I explained this to her, and she said she would call the GF Bakery and ask if they could personalize a 6" cake for me so I could choose my own filling/frosting/cake instead of just having plain chocolate/chocolate or vanilla/vanilla. She took my phone number and said she would call me right back. Well, I didn't expect to hear back from her tonight, but she called me back within 20 minutes! She told me I could do the 6" cake and personalize it however I wanted! :woohoo:

This is what I ordered:

* 6" round
* Vanilla cake
* Fruit mousse with fresh strawberries
* Chocolate buttercream icing
* "Happy Birthday Mom!" written on it
* And I was able to have the $15 white chocolate castle placed beside the cake on the plate since there would not be enough room on the actual cake

Since it was a pretty specific cake, I was charged $25 for the 6" instead of the usual $12.50, but it's worth it to me! I'm so excited! I can't wait to get down there and eat it, my mouth is already drooling! :dance3:

Which number did you use for private dining? (There are several on the first page of this thread) I am thinking about having them do soemthing for us in the room when we are there in August. Thanks!

The Boardwalk Bakery number is incorrect. That number gets you to "Disney Private Dining". I tried twice and got the same person who said she would transfer me, but it just disconnected me. They were not very helpful.

Apparently, for the FF Cafe one has to order through the BW Bakery. Does anyone have the correct number?

I have something to add to this. After several calls to different numbers I found that to order a cake for FF you must get it from the BW Bakery. The correct number is as shown on the first page, BUT it is NOT the bakery. It is Disney Private Dining for the BW Inn. The bakery itself does not take orders even though I did reach them. They transferred me to the Private Dining number. The problem I had initially apparently was that the hours are Mon-Fri 8 to 4PM EST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter