Official Birthday/Anniversary Cake thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
meowser said:
I ordered a cake for DBF from the Comtemporary room service/private dining!! It will just be the basic 6" $12.50 cake - chocolate and chocolate buttercream with a personalized greeting.

We are eating at Coral Reef on his actual birthday which is the day before we leave. Because it's just the 2 of us and he doesn't have a huge appetite, I decided to order the cake to be delivered to our room at the start of the trip!

A couple of people here mentioned getting the Chocolate Wave at the Coral Reef for a birthday. Is that something I can arrange when we check in at the podium?

Thank you to everyone who has posted in this thread! It's been very helpful to me!!

This is what we did for my DH birthday. I ordered ahead of time just because I was debating between a cake and/or dessert. Just a thought (I posted a thread under the dining reviews) they do have a scuba diver that will come down and hold up a sign wishing DBF Happy Birthday. It's a great surprise! Read the thread (Coral Reef Birthday Lunch 8/7) I don't know how to post a link. It'll give you all the phone numbers.

Silly Girl said:
This is what we did for my DH birthday. I ordered ahead of time just because I was debating between a cake and/or dessert. Just a thought (I posted a thread under the dining reviews) they do have a scuba diver that will come down and hold up a sign wishing DBF Happy Birthday. It's a great surprise! Read the thread (Coral Reef Birthday Lunch 8/7) I don't know how to post a link. It'll give you all the phone numbers.

Thank you very much for the pointer!! I would never have found your thread if you hadn't pointed me to it. It's exactly what I wanted to read!! :cheer2:

robinb said:
You didn't need to read the whole thread to find your answer, just the first page ;). All the phone numbers are there as is a picture of the slipper. You can get a chocolate and raspberry filling for your chocolate cake. My DD isn't a big chocolate fan, so we went with whipped cream and raspberries and it was very yummy!

Here is a link to my post with our cake and Cinderella singing happy birthday: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=14245690&postcount=196. You usually get one of the mice, but we were extra lucky!
I had subscribed to this thread months ago and then could not find the phone number that I had wrote. When I started reading it again, I started from the end. lol Thanks for the info. I had already seen the picture of your cake and Cinderella and how LUCKY your daughter was!! We were just at 1900 Park Fare last week and no one received a cake that I saw, I was hoping to see one, while we were there. I do hope we get Cinderella. Thanks again.

kimberh said:
I had already seen the picture of your cake and Cinderella and how LUCKY your daughter was!! We were just at 1900 Park Fare last week and no one received a cake that I saw, I was hoping to see one, while we were there. I do hope we get Cinderella. Thanks again.

I know we were lucky! I hope you are too :). Unfortunatly, my MIL missed it. She went off to the bathroom about 20 minutes before and then our waitress and Cindy shows up before she gets back. I asked if it could wait, but if we did Cindy couldn't be there. So ... we went ahead without my MIL :(. She returned about 10 minutes later with her plate filled with desserts :confused3. Knowing her, she was probably picking out her selections when we sang "Happy Birthday".

I have a picture to share
I ordered this cake at Ohana's
It was chocolate cake, with chocolate mouse filling and chocolate icing. It was very very good. The price was $25.00 plus tax and tip. :sunny:

48140ohanacake2-med.jpg

I talked to GF bakery and they are making a special cake for DS graduation trip. We are going in October as part of his graduation present. They are doing an 8" round cake with White choc mousse filling and white choc frosting. it will have A white chocolate Mickey on the top and they are going to put a mortar board on Mickeys head. We are staying at AKL concierge and they have assured me it will be waiting in our room when we arrive that afternoon.

AKL told me that they no longer have an actually pastry chef so it is hard for them to do special orders. I was told that one of the best pastry chefs was at Poly I think and that they love to do special cakes. I will post pics when we get back.I can't wait to see it.

Wow when I called AKL to set something special for our Honeymoon they told me that no one was allowed into our room before we actually get into it. Once it's cleaned they said no one else is allowed in before us. I was asked what time we would like it to be sent when we are there to sign for it. :bride: :groom:

Lostgirlz said:
Wow when I called AKL to set something special for our Honeymoon they told me that no one was allowed into our room before we actually get into it. Once it's cleaned they said no one else is allowed in before us. I was asked what time we would like it to be sent when we are there to sign for it. :bride: :groom:

Hmmm.... :confused3 Maybe concierge is different?

I was always told the same thing, but I've never stayed concierge like the people in the previous post are.

Here are 3 pictures of DS 1st birthday cake at WCC on Sept. 1. I got the idea from another cake picture posted on a different thread. The GF bakery did it and delivered it for our ADR at 7:30 p.m. All the decorations were made out of chocolate. It was absolutely incredible. The pictures don't do it justice. I have pictures with DS, but I have an issue with posting family pictures on the internet. Sorry. Hope the pictures turn out. It's my first time posting pictures.

On a side note, I was able to store the cake in the refridgerator behind the front desk until I checked out. Then, when I got home, we were successful in removing all the decorative chocolate pieces. We are going to use the boots, belt, parchment paper, star, and neck thingie on the cake for the party at home.

DSCF2336.jpg

DSCF2335.jpg

DSCF2334.jpg

Wow! If you don't mind my asking, how much did the cowboy cake cost? The chocolate work they did is incredible! :sunny:

jcemom said:
Wow! If you don't mind my asking, how much did the cowboy cake cost? The chocolate work they did is incredible! :sunny:

I don't mind. It was pricey, but it was what we wanted. $140.00 plus tax.

I think it must be a concierge thing. I was surprised they said it would be waiting for us. They are sending a runner over at noon so it will be ready along with a basket from Disney Floral for our 4 year old when we arrive. I think rooms must be assigned in advance for Concierge. We were told when we arrive to let the bellman know we are concierge and they will take us directly to our room and then we can go to the lounge to check in at our leisure. We don't have to wait in the lobby to check in. We have never stayed concierge before it was a splurge. But it has been worth it.

So AKL doesnt do cakes anymore? I hope this isnt true, because I was gonna order a anniversary cake and have it delivered to our room the day we get there. I thought GF Bakery only did cakes for the restraunts in GF and for the people staying there.

pigletforever said:
I talked to GF bakery and they are making a special cake for DS graduation trip. We are going in October as part of his graduation present. They are doing an 8" round cake with White choc mousse filling and white choc frosting. it will have A white chocolate Mickey on the top and they are going to put a mortar board on Mickeys head. We are staying at AKL concierge and they have assured me it will be waiting in our room when we arrive that afternoon.

AKL told me that they no longer have an actually pastry chef so it is hard for them to do special orders. I was told that one of the best pastry chefs was at Poly I think and that they love to do special cakes. I will post pics when we get back.I can't wait to see it.

FYI if you want something specific the GF bakery can do almost anything. I asked for specific things based on the photos on this thread. I wanted white chocolate filling, white icing, pink hibiscus flowers and Cinderellas slipper on the top of a 8 inch cake and they said that would be fine. I cant wait !!!

They do some cakes at AKL just not the fancy ones. I was told since they don't do meetings and conventions there that when the pastry chef left the person was not replaced. the regular chefs do the cakes.

Okay, we've decided to have DD's birthday dinner at Chef Mickey's next month, because she prefers Mickey to Cinderella. I called the GF to inquire about a cake and ask if they deliver to other restaurants. They do. The delivery fee is $75 on top of the cost of the cake.

I don't think I want to pay that much.

She suggested I call the CR and gave me the number. The CM there said I need to speak with someone at Chef M's directly, because they have their own chef. So, I left a message. If I can't get something acceptable from CM's then I'll try the MK bakery. We'll be at the MK that day anyway, so it won't be any trouble to pick it up and take it over to CM's if necessary, I'm thinking.

It would have been so much easier if DD wanted a Cinderella birthday, LOL...1900 Park Fare, her Cinderella dress, a lovely princessy cake. But no, she wants Mickey, she'll wear her Minnie dress, and she wants a cake with "Mickey, Minnie, hearts and flowers" on it. Sheesh. I'll do my best, LOL. :crazy:

Wow.... I honestly don't think I would pay a delivery fee of 75 dollars that's a bit steep. If it was a wedding cake I could understand that, but a birthday cake is a bit steep. I think I would check elsewhere. You might try Boardwalk bakery I know they do the Mickey cake that looks like his head, so they probably could do something along what you are wanting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter