Official Avengers Super Hero Half Marathon Weekend 2014 Thread!

I'm Sarah and my husband and I will be running this half!

We ran the Princess Half in 2013 and I loved it!

We have never been to Disneyland and I'm so nervous about getting around. I'm a big Disney World fan (been there too many times).

Just booked our hotel at the Menage (better price) and I am just giddy that it is done!

YAY!

updated the OP. Welcome! No need to be nervous with getting around the Disneyland Resort, everything's close together for a reason! :)

So this might be a dumb question but do you get to SEE what the pins or necklaces look like before you decide whether to buy one, if you purchase online?

I know PP already answered you but I wanted to add that in my experience the pin you preorder is not the one that looks like the medal. Its the other one. I believe they almost always have two pins for the half, one that looks like the medal and then on that is a different design that will say the name of the race and I think the date on it. So if you think you'd prefer the one that looks like the medal then I wouldn't do the preorder.

I'm signed up for the 5K and the half!! I wonder what the Dooney and Bourke handbags will be like? Or if they will even offer them for this race?

I'm signed up for the 5K and the half!! I wonder what the Dooney and Bourke handbags will be like? Or if they will even offer them for this race?

they typically don't for this race, but i could be wrong.
edit: OP updated with your info. :)

:cool1: 5K and Half! :cool1:

tiki23 - Alice :wave:
My DD - Miranda princess:

We're also signed up for the Pasta in the Park; so excited for the weekend!

Have people started to train for this yet? If you have, what training plan are you using? Or, even if you haven't started have you decided what training plan to use? Just curious to see everyone's different training methods!

Being the inaugural year, there is no precedent to follow. But, I am not sure how large the market would be for Marvel themed line of bags.

Have people started to train for this yet? If you have, what training plan are you using? Or, even if you haven't started have you decided what training plan to use? Just curious to see everyone's different training methods!

Well, I started training last year for a few other races, and have several more scheduled in the coming months--so I'm kind of "perpetually training" :)

But when I started, I somewhat loosely followed "couch to 5k" to get me to the point where I could run 5k without stopping for walk breaks. Once I got to that point, I gradually increased the mileage--not on any official system or program, just how I felt comfortable. I mostly just concentrated on increasing distance, not really speed.
I've only really begun working on speed in the past few months. My local running store is hosting a weekly clinic (free!) starting tonight. I'm going! Can't wait to learn any new tips/techniques!

I will be running the half and 5K. My three kids are running the 5K with me. So excited! The kids and I ran the Tinkerbell 5K in January. Couldn't sign up for the 10K because DD was 5 months short of turning 10. It's ok but now we've got the runDisney bug. Am glad I missed registration for DL half in August; too hot for me. November will be perfect!

gloria

I'm such a creature of habit, I originally booked the Camelot Inn but was getting nervous about trying a new hotel before my first half so I cancelled and booked the Holiday Inn on Walnut again. This will be my 5th time staying there but I like the hotel, it's quiet, and I like the beds and know I'll get a good nights sleep so it's one less thing to worry about.

I'll try a new hotel next time should be my new motto. :rotfl2:

I was able to register for the half and I'm really excited. I wasn't planning to run it but on impulse I decided to sign up. It will be my first half. I haven't been running very long but I can already do 4 miles and I'm running the DL 10k in August. I'm using the Galloway training program to get ready for it. I can't wait to run 13.1 miles in the happiest place on earth!

Runners Assemble!

:thumbsup2

It's so addictive. I started running about 6 months ago after impulsively signing up for the Neverland 5K at DL in January. It was supposed to be a one and done but I had so much fun I signed up for the DL 10k in August with a couple of my friends. I had no intention of going beyond 10k but I started using a Galloway program (3 min run / 1 min walk) and I had already ran a few 7.5 mile training runs when the Avengers was announced and all the sudden 13.1 seemed not only doable but fun. Plus I REALLY want to put a 13.1 sticker on my car. :)

My friends all think I'm nuts but I can't wait!

Viva Las Disney said:
:thumbsup2

It's so addictive. I started running about 6 months ago after impulsively signing up for the Neverland 5K at DL in January. It was supposed to be a one and done but I had so much fun I signed up for the DL 10k in August with a couple of my friends. I had no intention of going beyond 10k but I started using a Galloway program (3 min run / 1 min walk) and I had already ran a few 7.5 mile training runs when the Avengers was announced and all the sudden 13.1 seemed not only doable but fun. Plus I REALLY want to put a 13.1 sticker on my car. :)

My friends all think I'm nuts but I can't wait!

This is kind of what I am afraid of!

Anyone ever work with Jim from Acclaim Travel for a race bib? I'm thinking of purchasing one from his travel group, but would like some feedback. I've never used a travel group before. TIA

I already did the WDW half so I'm in half shape (or was.. slacked off a bit since then but restarted) but I'm still mostly in maintenance mode. My run club has a great deal on the coaching website which I've been using for maintennance. When it gets 3-4 months out I'll likely go back through again one of the half training programs.

I will be running the half and 5K. My three kids are running the 5K with me. So excited! The kids and I ran the Tinkerbell 5K in January. Couldn't sign up for the 10K because DD was 5 months short of turning 10. It's ok but now we've got the runDisney bug. Am glad I missed registration for DL half in August; too hot for me. November will be perfect!

gloria

updated OP ! Glad to have you on board! :cool1:

Anyone ever work with Jim from Acclaim Travel for a race bib? I'm thinking of purchasing one from his travel group, but would like some feedback. I've never used a travel group before. TIA

I've heard good things about him from people doing other races.

I'm thrilled about doing the Avengers 1/2. I did my first 1/2 last year in November (Cleveland) when it was 18 degrees outside and the water stops had water/Gatorade where ice had formed on the top of the cups. This November it'll be so much nicer!

Has anyone called RD regarding the "specially priced" park tickets? I am just curious how much of a discount it will actually be. With the DLH and the Avengers, I am trying to decide if I should look at getting an annual pass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter