• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

**Official August 2016 Check In Thread**

We fly out tomorrow, and will be in the parks Friday and Saturday, fly home Sunday. I am partially packed..so far, just my gorgeous Ariel themed Minnie ears I ordered from etsy, shirts i have planned to wear in the parks, and that essential mole skin for the feet! lol Today I have to do some laundry, and go grocery shopping for my family that isn't coming with. I can hardly even focus at this point!!

Anyone there this week able to report on how crowds are?!

Here now- got in yesterday and were in the parks by 12:30; walked through DCA to DL. Hit POTC, IJ and HM. Very hot; lines weren't bad. Tried Tomorrowland and turned right around. Madhouse. Called it a day (travelled from NY at 5am).

This morning EMH (8am) RSR, Luigis x2 and Mater x2. GRR - 4 times, ToT no wait then FP for Soarin' and GRR. All done by 11am. Lunch, Frozen pre show ( show cancelled, rescheduled for Friday). RSR x3 in 10 minutes (not kidding) SR. 2x in car w/ DS and once raced him. Now at the pool. We have RSR FP for 9 then we might try DL. Great so far; very hot!

1 more week for us!! I hope those of you that are there now are having a great time!!

Arrived last night. In the parks by 4:45 after upgrading to APs. We pulled fastpasses for Tower of Terror at 4:50 with a 5:35-6:35 return time. We went over to Cove Bar and waited about 10 minutes for a table for 2 in the sun (shade was an additional 20-30 minute wait) we had the lobster nachos and tri-tip sliders and both were awesome. We were done and in line for Tower of Terror just after 6pm with our Fastpasses. We rode then wandered around a bit more. Lines looked manageable but I was HOT and we'd both been up for a really long time (and I'm obviously still used to being up overnight or I'd be asleep at 3am) so we bailed on my original plan of waiting for them to light the neon in Carsland and headed back to the room. I'd ordered a cake for our anniversary and my sister sent us a bottle of my favorite wine which was a lovely surprise.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Our cake which is delicious!!! Apparently though I don't know my own strength!
image.jpeg

A cheap cockscrew and a REALLY dry, tight cork on our Moscato d'Asti lead to a broken cockscrew and a return trip from private dining. We're staying on our DVC points at the Grand and our villa had a drawer removed from the dresser as its being repaired they insisted (actually insisted as I at first declined) on buying us a meal and put $100 credit on our room to do that which was very kind!

Here now- got in yesterday and were in the parks by 12:30; walked through DCA to DL. Hit POTC, IJ and HM. Very hot; lines weren't bad. Tried Tomorrowland and turned right around. Madhouse. Called it a day (travelled from NY at 5am).

This morning EMH (8am) RSR, Luigis x2 and Mater x2. GRR - 4 times, ToT no wait then FP for Soarin' and GRR. All done by 11am. Lunch, Frozen pre show ( show cancelled, rescheduled for Friday). RSR x3 in 10 minutes (not kidding) SR. 2x in car w/ DS and once raced him. Now at the pool. We have RSR FP for 9 then we might try DL. Great so far; very hot!

Wow you are getting tons done (well at least the California Adventure day). Bummer about the Frozen pre show being cancelled. I hope that doesn't happen next week. Love that you are keeping us updated.

@Disney_Alli What an awesome cake, so gorgeous!

Why was the Frozen pre show cancelled?

I guess there were technical difficulties during the first show of the day. I spoke with a couple at the hotel last night and they said halfway through the show everything went dark and 10 minutes later announced that the show was cancelled; please exit. He said there were lots of angry people and they were told they could wait for the next show. Some did but then they cancelled the next 2........One woman said between waiting for FP and to get in the theater x 2 she spent almost 4 hours in the sun. The show is dark today so I'm hoping the kinks will be worked out by Friday. And they were selling pre-show tickets right at the venue if there is interest on the day of.

Hi! Update: last night 6pm: Through DTD and into Adventureland again. Pulled FP for Indy then did POTC, HM, BTMRR x 2, jungle cruise, Tiki Room, ate at Bengal rode IJ and scooted out just before 9pm because I did not want to get trapped by the parade. I find it interesting that so many of the classics have no wait at all; it all seems concentrated on Hyperspace, PP, Splash, IJ and ST. Everything else is manageable.

I'm planning to tackle Fantasyland and Tomorrowland tomorrow morning before going to Frozen again. TL is the most terrifying to me; it's a mess in there- I keep turning around at Astro Orbitor. Lol

I updated the list. With my daughter leaving to live in Japan soon, I am having a crash course in exchange rates. The yen is doing much better against the dollar now than when she set her budget, so everything costs more than expected. This is our first trip staying on property. I had never felt the need to stay on property for Disneyland before, so I know you will have a wonderful time.

Well, I broke down and changed our reservation to GCH. Got a fairly reasonable rate on a standard room with cheaptickets discount code. Started to think how hot it will be and how nice just to wander into the GCH for breaks, etc. It's really hard to go back to staying offsite (at least for me). Just warning you:rolleyes1.
Starting to get excited:yay:

Two weeks from now I will be flying down to Anaheim! My 30th birthday is on the 25th, and unlike some people who mope about turning 30, I'm going to be positive and surround myself with the happiness of DLR/DCA! My DH made birthday dinner reservations for us Thursday night at Blue Bayou. I have ALWAYS wanted to go there, and am over the moon excited.

It's been a few years since I've been to DLR/DCA, so I'm torn on good places for lunch. Any suggestions?

I just realized that there are three of us celebrating birthdays at DL soon: you, 30th; me, 40th; and @aristocat65, 51st! Three different decades! :banana:

And I also made birthday dinner reservations at Blue Bayou! 8-) For lunch, I made a reservation at Carthay Circle. We preferred our lunch experience to our dinner there, and I just love the housemade Push Pops for the kids! I keep meaning to try Wine Country Trattoria, because I hear good things, but we just love Carthay Circle so much.

@LennyMachine we are doing Carthay Circle for lunch for the first time during this trip!! Sounds like we made a good decision ;-) We did Wine Country last October and had a horrible experience :(

Just back from DL! We had a great time but am already a little jealous seeing those of you still about to go!

It was hot but the crowd levels were very manageable IMO. Sunday in particular was really nice in DL (DCA EMH that day). From now on I'm including a Sunday in our trip.

Someone asked about lunch recommendations -- I know some have had trouble there but we like WCT. Also like the Cove Bar in DCA. We usually do lunch at Bengal BBQ and Blue Bayou in DL. This year I also tried the famous corn dog at the Corn Dog cart -- and didn't like it. A ton of breading and definitely on the greasy side. Tried the corn dog on the boardwalk at DCA and did like that one. It was more like a normal corn dog but better. We also got turkey legs a couple of times. Tried the chili cone queso at Cozy Cone -- I was hesitant because I really like to make Frito Chili Pie at home and didn't think I'd like their version but I really enjoyed it.

I just realized that there are three of us celebrating birthdays at DL soon: you, 30th; me, 40th; and @aristocat65, 51st! Three different decades! :banana:

And I also made birthday dinner reservations at Blue Bayou! 8-) For lunch, I made a reservation at Carthay Circle. We preferred our lunch experience to our dinner there, and I just love the housemade Push Pops for the kids! I keep meaning to try Wine Country Trattoria, because I hear good things, but we just love Carthay Circle so much.

Wow! That's awesome that we're all celebrating birthdays-- and all three decades! Thanks for the recommendations for restaurants as well. I'm intrigued by WCT and was thinking of trying it out, despite the mixed reviews.

@JavaDuck you guys got married at the top of the Space Needle?! HOW COOL!!!!!!!!! Woohoo, congrats on your marriage and your Disney-moon!!

I can now do the single digit dance :dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer:

9 days!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter